From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 03:23:41 GMT

2:1 wrote:

>   Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I am of the opinion that helping users (even the "incompetent"
> > users) and helping yourself is not an either-or proposition. By
> > helping users, you are helping yourself.
>
> But helping incompetent users does not necessarily help you, if you have
> to simplify the system, you might have to remove some of the power of
> it.

I don't quite agree with that.  In the quest to make Linux more friendly
for non-geeks, no one is even hinting at removing any of its power.  In
fact, it is moving handily in both directions along with fifty others.
There isn't an "either / or" choice here.

> > Users have legitimate /universal/ grievances against the system.
> > The problem is that;
> >     1) users aren't able to verbalize their grievances, and
> >     2) programmers are used to ignoring, defending and even
> >         accepting whenever the system /they/ created misbehaves.
>                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^
> That's to do with bugs. That is entirely different from the model uses
> for interaction.
>
> > How do you expect to get an objective opinion if you alienate the
> > only people who don't have an emotional investment in the current
> > state of software?
>
> The programmers, especially OSS ones, *are* the users. They have the
> emmotional attachment to the software. Why should they bend over
> backwards to change something that they created and they like,
> considering that noone is paying them to do it.

Many are paid to do so.  Many of the software houses have programmers
coding open source because it benefits the business as well as the free
software community.  Red Hat, Sun, Netscape (Mozilla), IBM, Helix,
Eazel, and SGI come to mind.

--
"I have just read your lousy review buried in the back pages.  You
sound like a frustrated old man who never made a success, an

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 23:25:39 -0400

Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] () in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>On Fri, 22 Sep 2000 18:50:51 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, T. Max Devlin
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote
>>on Sun, 17 Sep 2000 01:52:44 -0400
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>>Said The Ghost In The Machine in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>>>   [...]
>>>
>>>So the one that gets there first....?
>>
>>... gets a good chunk of the business.  This is not necessarily
>>the best for society, of course -- consider, for example, the
>>68000 microprocessor, a better design, at least from a programmer's
>>standpoint, than the 8086 and 8088.  Yet the 8088 was the one adopted
>>by IBM.  Why?  Because it was first.
>
>       No, it was available then. I might have been cheaper however.
>
>       There's also this nonsense idea I occasionally hear about the
>       8088 being cheaper to use due to 8-bit perhipheral chips
>       (nonsense because the 68K's are quite capable of using 8-bit
>       peripheral chips).

I think that was a comment on the overall design, that 8 bit peripheral
chips, like the 8086, were cheaper.

>>And now we're more or less stuck with it.  :-/
>
>       This is more a side effect of bad MS engineering than
>       anything else. Nearly every other commonly known OS
>       has not suffered this problem (VMS, Unix, NextStep, MacOS).

MS doesn't engineer the CPU.  But, then, the current chips aren't
anywhere near as limited as MS engineering, I guess you mean.

======USENET VIRUS=======COPY THE URL BELOW TO YOUR SIG==============

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!

http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 03:28:58 GMT

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
> Wow ! sYears, huh ? And what have you produced ? After years, the best
> you can do is troll advocacy groups ? What a dismal failure of a project.
> After all these years, all you've produced is some  cheap class warfare
> rhetoric.

You judge without any understanding of the situation, the problem domain,
or even any kind of perspective. What the hell do you know about the life
cycles of research OSes? In case you didn't know, Linux is *NOT* any kind
of useful comparison since Torvalds had hordes to help him on the kernel
even before they got to the point of exploiting all of the FSF's previous
work, and they never had to do any kind of high level design work either!

When I proposed modifications to the shell, you said you didn't have the
technical skill to implement them. How long do you think it would take
you to get that skill? How long do you think it would take you to get the
skills necessary to build a complete operating system *from scratch*?

It can take years for someone to understand the Linux kernel, if they
even manage it. And you want me to **what**??

So what the hell are you condemning me of exactly? For thinking on a
scale of years and decades? Since when is short-sightedness a virtue?
Oh, that's right, we're talking about North America! Well then, since
long-term thinking is a sin now, the least I'll demand is that he who
casts the first stone be free from such sin ... and what was it you
said about your PhD?

Or wait a minute, maybe you're complaining that I don't spend every
minute of every day on my OS project. I never got the impression
that you favoured anti-social geeks before. Or is it that you want
to be able to scrutinize and pass judgement on my design? Not for
free! I want some kind of commitment before I go to the effort of
writing things up for someone's benefit! And after the amount of
thought, a flat zero, you put on the trivial subject of timestamps,
it will be a cold day in hell ....

So what is it that you are attacking and defending here? You do give
hints, so I'd say that you're defending your naive view of OS work;
the good guys wear white hats (Linux and other free software) and
there is no politics, only technical problems. Politics is another
thing you seem to be blissfully ignorant about (although how you
could be an academic and ignorant of politics is beyond me).

------------------------------

From: lyttlec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Government's Decision to Use Microsoft
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 03:39:56 GMT

lyttlec wrote:

> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
> >
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, mark
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >  wrote
> > on Fri, 22 Sep 2000 23:23:04 +0100
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > >                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >My understanding was that it did not.  That is an NT problem, since
> > >Linux does stay up in this situation, and doesn't require the programmer
> > >to write additional exeption handlers.  This seems to be another hangover
> > >from the DOS days.
> >
> > I think you might has misunderstood me; my understanding is that
> > the app died, but the OS stayed up.  (However, without the app,
> > the computer unit wouldn't be able to control its part of the ship.)
> >
> > I fail to see how Linux would be more intelligent in that situation,
> > although by default Linux doesn't kill things that divide by 0 (instead,
> > one gets a NaN, which is a fairly funny number), so maybe that was
> > the problem in a nutshell.
> >
> > I'll have to try dividing by 0 on both operating systems the next
> > chance I get. :-)
> >
> > [.sigsnip]
> >
> > --
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random NaN here
> I just did a program with lots of divide by zero for both Windows95 and
> Linux. It just printed out the values of 1/sin(x) where x would pass
> through 0. The first time under Linux, the application died but not the
> OS. A change got it to print NaN and continue. Under Windows95 (using MS
> VisualC++ 5.0) neither died, but I got a garbage number.
In the process of doing the above I wrote the following program :

// hello.cpp
// prints hello world

#include <iostream.h>
#include <string>
#include <math.h>
using namespace std;

inline void pr_message(string s = "Hello Russ!")
{cout << s << endl; }

int main()
{
  pr_message();
  for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++){
    cout << 1/sin(i)<< endl;
  }
}

It compiles and runs with g++, and Borland C++ Builder 4.52 and others,
but under VC++ 5.0 I get lots of errors saying such things as "std is
not a namespace" and that "<<" does not have a right hand operator of
type string.

Anyway, when I get all versions to compile and run :
g++ gives inf as the result of divide by zero ( it should if I read the
standard correctly)

Borland gives a "divide by zero" message and dies. The application dies,
but not the OS

VC++ prints 1.#INF.

What gives? I don't expect the Borland to be correct, as it is too old.
But does the gnu project and I read the standard wrong or is it MS?