On 01/05/2011 06:41 PM, Diego Calleja wrote:
On Miércoles, 5 de Enero de 2011 18:42:42 Gordan Bobic escribió:
So by doing the hash indexing offline, the total amount of disk I/O
required effectively doubles, and the amount of CPU spent on doing the
hashing is in no way reduced.

But there are people who might want to avoid temporally the extra cost
of online dedup, and do it offline when the server load is smaller.

The point is that the offline dedup is actually twice as expensive, and the hashing part is nowhere nearly expensive as disk I/O. Disk I/O is very limited today, compared to CPU time.

Gordan