On 01/05/2011 09:14 PM, Diego Calleja wrote:
In fact, there are cases where online dedup is clearly much worse. For
example, cases where people suffer duplication, but it takes a lot of
time (several months) to hit it. With online dedup, you need to enable
it all the time to get deduplication, and the useless resource waste
offsets the other advantages. With offline dedup, you only deduplicate
when the system really needs it.

My point is that on a file server you don't need to worry about the CPU cost of deduplication because you'll run out of I/O long before you run out of CPU.

And I can also imagine some unrealistic but theorically valid cases,
like for example an embedded device that for some weird reason needs
deduplication but doesn't want online dedup because it needs to save
as much power as possible. But it can run an offline dedup when the
batteries are charging.

That's _very_ theoretical.

It's clear to me that if you really want a perfect deduplication
solution you need both systems.

I'm not against having both. :)

Gordan