Chris Mason wrote:
Excerpts from Gordan Bobic's message of 2011-01-05 12:42:42 -0500:
Josef Bacik wrote:

Basically I think online dedup is huge waste of time and completely useless.
I couldn't disagree more. First, let's consider what is the general-purpose use-case of data deduplication. What are the resource requirements to perform it? How do these resource requirements differ between online and offline?

I don't really agree with Josef that dedup is dumb, but I do think his
current approach is the most reasonable.  Dedup has a few very valid use
cases, which I think break down to:

1) backups
2) VM images.

The backup farm use case is the best candidate for dedup in general
because they are generally write once and hopefully read never.
Fragmentation for reading doesn't matter at all and we're really very
sure we're going to backup the same files over and over again.

But, it's also something that will be dramatically more efficient when
the backup server helps out.  The backup server knows two files have the
same name, same size and can guess with very high accuracy that they
will be the same.  So it is a very good candidate for Josef's offline
dedup because it can just do the dedup right after writing the file.

File level deduplication in addition to block level would be great, no argument there. This can again be done more efficiently in-line, though, as the files come in.

Next is the VM images.  This is actually a much better workload for
online dedup, except for the part where our poor storage server would be
spending massive amounts of CPU deduping blocks for all the VMs on the
machine.  In this case the storage server doesn't know the
filenames, it just has bunches of blocks that are likely to be the same
across VMs.

I'm still unconvinced that deduping's major cost is CPU. I think in any real case it'll be disk I/O.

So, it seems a bit silly to do this out of band, where we wander through
the FS and read a bunch of blocks in hopes of finding ones with the same
hash.

Except you can get this almost for free. How about this approach:

1) Store a decent size hash for each block (checksum for ECC - something like this already happens, it's just a question of what hashing algorithm to use)

2) Keep a (btree?) index of all known hashes (this doesn't happen at the moment, AFAIK, so this would be the bulk of the new cost for dedup).

Now there are 2 options:

3a) Offline - go through the index, find the blocks with duplicate hashes, relink the pointers to one of them and free the rest. There is no need to actually read/write any data unless we are doing full block compare, only metadata needs to be updated. The problem with this is that you would still have to do a full index scan of the index to find all the duplicates, unless there is a second index specifically listing the duplicate blocks (maintained at insertion time).

3b) Online - look up whether the hash for the current block is already in the index ( O(log(n)) ), and if it is, don't bother writing the data block, only add a pointer to the existing block. No need for a second index with duplicate blocks in this case, either.

But, one of the things on our features-to-implement page is to wander
through the FS and read all the blocks from time to time.  We want to do
this in the background to make sure the bits haven't rotted on disk.  By
scrubbing from time to time we are able to make sure that when a disk
does die, other disks in the FS are likely to have a good copy.

Scrubbing the whole FS seems like an overly expensive way to do things and it also requires low-load times (which don't necessarily exist). How about scrubbing disk-by-disk, rather than the whole FS? If we keep checksums per block, then each disk can be checked for rot independently. It also means that if redundancy is used, the system doesn't end up anywhere nearly as crippled during the scrubbing as the requests can be served from other disks that are a part of that FS (e.g. the mirrored pair in RAID1, or the parity blocks in higher level RAIDs).

So again, Josef's approach actually works very well.  His dedup util
could be the scrubbing util and we'll get two projects for the price of
one.

Indeed, the scrubber would potentially give deduping functionality for free, but I'm not convinced that having deduping depend on scrubbing is the way forward. This is where we get to multi-tier deduping again - perhaps have things markable for online or offline dedupe, as deemed more appropriate?

As for the security of hashes, we're unlikely to find a collision on a
sha256 that wasn't made maliciously.  If the system's data is
controlled and you're not worried about evil people putting files on
there, extra reads really aren't required.

If you manage to construct one maliciously that's pretty bad in itself, though. :)

But then again, extra reads are a good thing (see above about
scrubbing).

Only under very, very controlled conditions. This is supposed to be the "best" file system, not the slowest. :)

The complexity of the whole operation goes down
dramatically when we do the verifications because hash index corruptions
(this extent has this hash) will be found instead of blindly trusted.

That is arguably an issue whatever you do, though. You have to trust that the data you get back off the disk is correct at least most of the time. Also, depending on what the extent of corruption is, you would potentially be able to spot it by having a hash out of order in the index (much cheaper, but says nothing about the integrity of the block itself).

None of this means that online dedup is out of the question, I just
think the offline stuff is a great way to start.

As I said, I'm not against offline dedupe for certain use cases, I'm merely saying that at a glance, overall, online dedup is more efficient.

Another point that was raised was about fragmentation. Thinking about it, there wouldn't be any extra fragmentation where complete files' worth of blocks were deduped. You'd end up with the blocks still laid out sequentially on the disk (assuming we don't deliberately pick a random instance of a block to link to but instead do something sensible).

Gordan