On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 15:51:17 +0200
Swâmi Petaramesh <sw...@petaramesh.org> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I don't trust theoretical benchmarks that much and prefer "real-life
> benchs" on the occasion, so here's mine:
>
> Given 4 laptops, the most powerful of which was running BTRFS and the
> others ext3 or ext4, all machines running Ubuntu 11.04 Natty 32-bit with
> a stock Ubuntu 2.6.38-11 kernel, all machines were given the following
> FS-intensive task :
>
> - Upgrade O.S. from Ubuntu 11.04 Natty to 11.10 Oneiric (beta), using a
> local packages apt-cacher.
>
> Machines :
>
> 1/ Acer Aspire 3104 WLMi, AMD Sempron Mobile 3500+ @1.8 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM,
> 80 GB SATA HD, ext4 over standard partitions
>
> 2/ Asus EeePC 1005PE, Intel Atom N450 @1.66 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB SATA
> HD, ext3 over AES-128 encrypted LVM
>
> 3/ Compaq Mini CQ10-740SF, Intel Atom N455 @1.66 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB
> SATA HD, ext4 over standard partitions
>
> 4/ Dell XPS M1330, Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 @2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 160 B SATA
> HD, BTRFS over AES-128 encrypted LVM
>
> Results :
>
> All 3 ext3 /  ext4 machines took between 60 and 90 minutes to complete
> their upgrade.
>
> BTRFS machine took 20 HOURS so far, still counting (ETA 15 minutes left).
>
> Wow. Impressive.

I've seen similar problem on Ubuntu-11 + Aspire One (8GB of slow "SSD").
More specifically half of ubuntu install went very fast and when
disk was ~50% free things _suddenly_ gone slow.

According to strace fsync() started to take ~10 seconds(!) and upper.
It's not common filesystem behaviour, but a plain (and hard to catch?) bug.

I don't have the box anymore. The root cause it to be found by some
brave soul yet.

I wonder if latencytop would get the profile of the issue.

Maybe, btrfs degrades only after certain (insanely large?) amount of fsync()
calls?

--

  Sergei