Le Mercredi 7 Septembre 2011 00:11:25 vous avez écrit :
> Reading your post, at this point I'd actually recommend you stick with
> ext4.

I actually shifted back from BTRFS to ext4 and fell like having offered myself
a brand new computer,  about 20 times faster, me happy ;-)

> Both btrfs and zfs are great, but IMHO btrfs is not ready for
> daily use by "ordinary" user yet, while zfs is a memory hog
> (especially for laptops, which is part of the reason why I'm using
> btrfs instead of zfs on this one).

True, ZFS is excellent but a memory hog (and strongly advises using a 64-bit
OS) but I was surprised to discover that BTRFS was such a memory eater itself,
with kernel 3.0. My system was swapping like mad !

I use (kernel) ZFS on my 64-bit main machine and I'm plain happy with it, and
tried ZFS on my 32-bit laptop in the hope to get more performance for less
memory ; alas I just got a memory-hungry system running damn slow... For the
time being I will stick to ZFS for 64-bit machines with >= 4GB RAM, and to
ext4 for 32-bit systems with less RAM...

I don't feel that BTRFS gives any advantage in its current state of
development. Alas.

--
Swâmi Petaramesh <sw...@petaramesh.org> http://petaramesh.org PGP 9076E32E