On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 17:32 +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 05:08:33PM +0200, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> > > I would not buy anything else
> > > than intel. I have about 26 of them for years now (both in servers and
> > > workstations, several series), and never had an issue. Two of my
> > > colleagues have OCZ, and both had to RMA them.
> >
> > I guess it boils down wether you want intel also to rule the SSD
> > market in the long term, as they do with PC processors...
> >
> > Comparing intel SSDs with OCZ is not that fair, as OCZ has always been
> > low-priced bleeding edge stuff.
>
>   Looking into the controllers...
>   first there were bunch of different ones; Intel had it own design with
> SSD 320.
>   Then come Sandforce; it got broadly used, despite sucking when used
> with FDE. Even Intel started to used Sandforce - SSD 520. How's
> reliabilty of Intel differs?
>   Latest fad is Marvell controller; again Intel joins the pack with SSD510.
>
>   So, Intel is not that different anymore.

The controllers themselves really aren't that interesting any more - an
SSD controller is really just an ARM or MIPS core with some flash
interfaces, a SATA interface, and some ram - running proprietary
firmware.

Several of the Marvell devices actually have completely different
firmwares (e.g. Intel's firmware for Marvell devices was reportedly
developed by them in-house), and Intel's Sandforce firmware has some
customizations for improved reliability, at the expense of some speed.

--
Calvin Walton <calvin.wal...@kepstin.ca>