Le 20/09/2016 à 21:46, Chris Murphy a écrit :
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 1:31 PM, Alexandre Poux <pums...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Le 20/09/2016 à 21:11, Chris Murphy a écrit :
>>> And no backup? Umm, I'd resolve that sooner than anything else.
>> Yeah you are absolutely right, this was a temporary solution which came
>> to be not that temporary.
>> And I regret it already...
> Well on the bright side, if this were LVM or mdadm linear/concat
> array, the whole thing would be toast because any other file system
> would have lost too much fs metadata on the missing device.
>
>>>  It
>>> should be true that it'll tolerate a read only mount indefinitely, but
>>> read write? Not sure. This sort of edge case isn't well tested at all
>>> seeing as it required changing the kernel to reduce safe guards. So
>>> all bets are off the whole thing could become unmountable, not even
>>> read only, and then it's a scraping job.
>> I'm not that crazy, I tried the patch inside a virtual machine on
>> virtual drives...
>> And since it's only virtual, it may not work on the real partition...
> Are you sure the virtual setup lacked a CHUNK_ITEM on the missing
> device? That might be what pinned it in that case.
In fact in my virtual setup there was more chunk missing (1 metadata 1
System and 1 Data).
I will try to do a setup closer to my real one.
> You could try some sort of overlay for your remaining drives.
> Something like this:
> https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Recovering_a_failed_software_RAID#Making_the_harddisks_read-only_using_an_overlay_file
>
> Make sure you understand the gotcha about cloning which applies here:
> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Gotchas
>
> I think it's safe to use blockdev --setro on every real device  you're
> trying to protect from changes. And when mounting you'll at least need
> to use device= mount option to explicitly mount each of the overlay
> devices. Based on the wiki, I'm wincing, I don't really know for sure
> if device mount option is enough to compel Btrfs to only use those
> devices and not go off the rails and still use one of the real
> devices, but at least if they're setro it won't matter (the mount will
> just fail somehow due to write failures).
>
> So now you can try removing the missing device... and see what
> happens. You could inspect the overlay files and see what changes were
> made.
Wow that looks like nice.
So, if it work, and if we find a way to fix the filesystem inside the vm,
I can use this over the real partion to check if it works before trying
the fix for real.
Nice idea.