On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 08:12:19AM -0400, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
> On 2017-07-25 17:45, Hugo Mills wrote:

> >>As a side note, have you ever considered making this online tool
> >>(that should never go away just for the record) part of btrfs-progs
> >>e.g. a proper tool? I use it quite often (at least several timers
> >>per. month) and I would love for this to be a visual tool
> >>'btrfs-space-calculator' would be a great name for it I think.
> >>
> >>Imagine how nice it would be to run....
> >>
> >>btrfs-space-calculator -mraid1 -draid10 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
> >>/dev/sdc2 /dev/sdd2 /dev/sde3 for example and instantly get
> >>something similar to my example below (no accuracy intended)
> >
> >    It's certainly a thought. I've already got the algorithm written
> >up. I'd have to resurrect my C skills, though, and it's a long way
> >down my list of things to do. :/
> >
> >    Also on the subject of this tool, I'd like to make it so that the
> >parameters get set in the URL, so that people can copy-paste the URL
> >of the settings they've got into IRC for discussion. However, that
> >would involve doing more JavaScript, which is possibly even lower down
> >my list of things to do than starting doing C again...

> Is the core logic posted somewhere?  Because if I have some time, I
> might write up a quick Python script to do this locally (it may not
> be as tightly integrated with the regular tools, but I can count on
> half a hand how many distros don't include Python by default).

   If it's going to be done in python, I might as well do it myself --
I can do python with my eyes closed. It's just C and JS I'm rusty with.

   There is a write-up of the usable-space algorithm somewhere. I
wrote it up in detail (with pseudocode) in a mail on this list. I've
also got several pages of LaTeX somewhere where I tried and failed to
prove the correctness of the formula. I'll see if I can dig them out
this evening.

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | How do you become King? You stand in the marketplace
hugo@... carfax.org.uk | and announce you're going to tax everyone. If you