On 2017-07-26 08:27, Hugo Mills wrote:
On 2017-07-25 17:45, Hugo Mills wrote:
On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 11:29:13PM +0200, waxhead wrote:

Hugo Mills wrote:

    You can see about the disk usage in different scenarios with the
online tool at:

http://carfax.org.uk/btrfs-usage/

    Hugo.

As a side note, have you ever considered making this online tool
(that should never go away just for the record) part of btrfs-progs
e.g. a proper tool? I use it quite often (at least several timers
per. month) and I would love for this to be a visual tool
'btrfs-space-calculator' would be a great name for it I think.

Imagine how nice it would be to run....

btrfs-space-calculator -mraid1 -draid10 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
/dev/sdc2 /dev/sdd2 /dev/sde3 for example and instantly get
something similar to my example below (no accuracy intended)

    It's certainly a thought. I've already got the algorithm written
up. I'd have to resurrect my C skills, though, and it's a long way
down my list of things to do. :/

    Also on the subject of this tool, I'd like to make it so that the
parameters get set in the URL, so that people can copy-paste the URL
of the settings they've got into IRC for discussion. However, that
would involve doing more JavaScript, which is possibly even lower down
my list of things to do than starting doing C again...

Is the core logic posted somewhere?  Because if I have some time, I
might write up a quick Python script to do this locally (it may not
be as tightly integrated with the regular tools, but I can count on
half a hand how many distros don't include Python by default).

    If it's going to be done in python, I might as well do it myself --
I can do python with my eyes closed. It's just C and JS I'm rusty with.
Same here ironically :)

    There is a write-up of the usable-space algorithm somewhere. I
wrote it up in detail (with pseudocode) in a mail on this list. I've
also got several pages of LaTeX somewhere where I tried and failed to
prove the correctness of the formula. I'll see if I can dig them out
this evening.