On 03/28/2012 10:42 PM, Dale Amon wrote:
So does anyone have a suggestion as to where I have
gone wrong? It's been over half a decade since I've
gone through this and even longer since I was doing
the magic dance with patching and building my own
losetup, mount, etc...

If you want something simple, use LUKS. cryptsetup
and dmcrypt is in all distributions by default.
Truecrypt uses dmcrypt by default as backend as well.

Of course, if you want use loop-aes, you have to
patch all utilities and kernel, it is not so complicated.

(cryptsetup can run loop-aes compatible mode as well and
can allocate loop device as well. But it is your
choice what encryption and utility to use to use
of course.)

For default losetup from util-linux, encryption option
is in fact deprecated in favor to cryptsetup.

Milan