If you're going to be doing a complete reinstall then I don't see why
keep the Ubuntu partitioning. Unless you like the way it's partitioned
(in terms of swap, if it uses a /home partition, etc.) just do a
reinstall with a Debian disc. It shouldn't be that difficult a process.
In my case, considering how messy that file partitioning looks, I would
do a complete reinstall with Debian, keep a swap partition, and that's
about it (maybe a home partition).

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 01:51:33PM +0200, Vesta wrote:
> Dell Inspiron 15 3542 Intel i3-4005U comes with Ubuntu OS. I want install
> Debian in place of Ubuntu: will be better completely format hard drive when
> install Debian, or it make sense keep existing disk paritioning structure and
> install Debian into Ubuntu partition (Partition 3)? Hard drive have 5
> partitions:
>
> DellUtility, Partition 1 (367MB), FAT
> OS, Partition 2 (3.2GB), FAT
> Filesystem, Partition 3, (488GB), Ext4
> Extended, Partition 4  (8.4GB)
> Swap, Partition 5, (8GB)
> Free space (1.1MB)

Nicolás Andrés Ortega Froysa (Deathsbreed)
http://themusicinnoise.net/
Quote: "Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose
but your chains."
 - Karl Marx