I have no idea how Dell partitions but if you have a / and /home (much better setup) then simply remove all of your "hidden" files in /home and install Debian from a Debian Live with non-free firmware ISO. This will make sure all your hardware is supported by the firmware included with the kernel.

Some of that doesn't meet the Debian definition of "free" so they remove it from their official install media.
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0+nonfree/

I assume you are on a 64bit box but that link includes the 32bit images too.

Should go fine. If you want to resize some partitions I would do that before installing using gparted in the Live Session. Just be sure to tell the installer to not format the /home partition.

Backing up your data is highly recommended. I have never needed that backup using the Debian installer. But you never loose any important data if you don't back it up. Because it wasn't important enough to back up. Back it up. Call it insurance.