I would also add that I think it would be best to install just on that
partition that the ubuntu lives. the Dell team usually has some nice
recovery and other partitions I think are nice to keep.

Diego

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 8:01 AM, Nicolás Ortega Froysa <
nicolas.ortega.fro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you're going to be doing a complete reinstall then I don't see why
> keep the Ubuntu partitioning. Unless you like the way it's partitioned
> (in terms of swap, if it uses a /home partition, etc.) just do a
> reinstall with a Debian disc. It shouldn't be that difficult a process.
> In my case, considering how messy that file partitioning looks, I would
> do a complete reinstall with Debian, keep a swap partition, and that's
> about it (maybe a home partition).
>
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 01:51:33PM +0200, Vesta wrote:
> > Dell Inspiron 15 3542 Intel i3-4005U comes with Ubuntu OS. I want
> install Debian in place of Ubuntu: will be better completely format hard
> drive when install Debian, or it make sense keep existing disk paritioning
> structure and install Debian into Ubuntu partition (Partition 3)? Hard
> drive have 5 partitions:
> >
> > DellUtility, Partition 1 (367MB), FAT
> > OS, Partition 2 (3.2GB), FAT
> > Filesystem, Partition 3, (488GB), Ext4
> > Extended, Partition 4  (8.4GB)
> > Swap, Partition 5, (8GB)
> > Free space (1.1MB)

> --
> Nicolás Andrés Ortega Froysa (Deathsbreed)
> http://themusicinnoise.net/
> Quote: "Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose
> but your chains."
>  - Karl Marx

*Diego A. Martinez, Ph.D.*
_______A------T_____