On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Erez Zadok wrote:

> Hey, we can make it yet another ioctl(2).  Then we can trade a crapload of
> syscalls for a crapload of ioctls --- a time-honored Unix tradition... :-)
> :-)
>
> Seriously, an open/read/.../close would work fine, but on what file?  If
> it's something inside /proc, fine, but has the Linux community as a whole
> accepted that procfs is a *must* for any working system "or else"?  If the
> file to open/read/close won't be in /proc, what type of file it'd be and how
> it'd get created?

Depends. If we have per-process namespaces - procfs is the only way to go,
simply because there is no such thing as system-wide set of mounts.
However, that procfs will not have to contain anything but per-process
data + /proc/self. Another variant is a mechanism a-la /dev/tty, but
frankly, I would rather see /dev/tty being a symlink to /proc/self/tty...