Les Mikesell wrote:
> My first HA setup is for a squid proxy where all I need is to move an IP
> address to a backup server if the primary fails (and the cache can just
> rebuild on its own).  This seems to work, but will only fail if the
> machine goes down completely or the primary IP is unreachable.  Is that
> typical or are there monitors for the service itself so failover would
> happen if the squid process is not running or stops accepting connections?
>
> Second question (unrelated):  Can heartbeat be set up so one or two
> spare machines could automatically take over the IP address of any of a
> much larger pool of machines that might fail?

Heartbeat in v1 mode (haresources configuration) cannot do any resource
level monitoring itself. You'd need to do that externally by any means.

If you're just starting out learning now, I'd suggest going with openais
and pacemaker instead of heartbeat right away. Check out the
documentation on www.clusterlabs.org/wiki/install and
www.clusterlabs.org/wiki/Documentation

Regards
Dominik