Time ago moving binaries from one distribution to another i had the same problem with
the utilities
that uses ncurses... in that time i got a problem with listen in the same way you are
discribing with call

  Linux Distribution      AX25 Utility compiled        Dependencies
       RedHat 5.2               ax25-utils-2.1.42a.rpm                  libncurses.so.4
       Debian 2.0               ax25-utils-2.1.42a.deb
libncurses.so.3.4
       RedHat 6.0               libax25+ax25-apps+ax25-utils    libncurses.so.4

if you are a spanish reader you can check:
http://atlas.gbt.tfo.upm.es/ax25.094-3.html#ss3.1         where there is a explanation
about that....

best
alberto