  Re: Help with ACEEX PCI modem ("David J. Looney")

From: Mike Doland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware
Subject: Hardware or software trouble?!?
Date: 28 Dec 1998 03:34:33 -0800

Hi!

For the moment I have real trouble with my NT 4.0 WS (eng).

My computer:
AMD K6-233 MHz
ASUS motherboard
24 MB Memory (should probably be more)
Quantum Fireball 3.8 GB
Samsung 540 MB

Partitions:
C: NT-bootloader on DOS partition HD 1
D: DOS partition on HD 2
E: "NT-root" (NTFS) on HD 1
F: NTFS on HD 1

It all started with alot of bluescreens. It seemed that some programs allways
caused it. I think I got the error PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (on the
bluescreen).
Later or maybe at the same time my PC speaker has started to go off for 50
seconds, and then it stops, over and over again every 5-15 minute (pretty
annoying).
Finally some days ago, I didn't make make the boot up. Some file in the system32
catalog was corrupted (maybe due to too much swapping on the HD (just 24 MB in
memory).
I thought that I should do a recovery, so I put in the 3 boot diskettes and the
CD. However, after the 3rd diskett, during (or directly after) the loading of
the NTFS driver, it blue screens and says: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
It even did that when I tried to reinstall everything over again (except C: and
D:).
To boot into DOS works fine (and also win 3.11 runs ok).
Does anyone have a clue what might be wrong. Is it hardware, BIOS or software.
What should I do. Any hints or ideas are welcome.

Please, mail me at:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mike

------------------------------

From: BH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Redhat 5.2 with Asus P5A and OnBoard Sound
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 23:25:12 -0800

ever hear of OSS?  www.opensound.com

------------------------------

From: Tim Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trident 3dImage 975 AGP Setup
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 23:32:33 -0600

I have the above card and am trying hopelessly for the past 3 days to
get Xwindows working under RedHat 5.2. I have d/led all the RedHat 5.2
XFree86 3.3.3 updates and the XFree86 3.3.3 files from www.xfree86.com
It still doesn't work... If anyone has the same card I would greatly
appreciate a copy of the XF86Config file. Or if anyone has any advice or
instruction. Im basically a new linux fanatic and would like to get this
working.

I have only gotten the VGA16 server working under 8bit depth and 640x480
res. This is hardly disiralbe. I cant even get the SVGA server to work
more than 320x200. What am I doing wrong??? Please help if you can.
TIA,
Tim Schmitt

------------------------------

From: Norman Jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB AWE64 & Printer
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 06:55:47 GMT

==============AAEC49D4CEE23BDFC75EBC66

Jeffrey Bridge wrote:

> I have been running W95 and then W98 with a SB ViBRA16 PnP for a year,
> and it worked great, even with full duplex. However, when I upgraded
> (<-- notice the terminology) to Linux, I quickly saw that it was not
> going to work and so I got myself a SB AWE64 Value for the same price as
> I got the 16 a year ago. It works fine for .wav files through /dev/dsp
> and .au files through /dev/audio, however I cannot get the MIDI working.
> I am not bothering with the AWE part yet, but I tried playing several
> non-corrupt midi files with playmidi-2.3, and it apparently thought that
> it was playing the midi files, but no sound came out. I think there
> might be a problem with the MIDI volume, as opposed to the main mixer
> volume, but I do not know how to change this. Any help with this, and
> also setting up AWE, would be appreciated.
> Just for reference, I set up both the SB16 and the SB AWE64 with
> isapnptools-1.17 with no problems, using all default values, and load
> the sound driver as a module at boot-time after running isapnp.
>
> The other problem is with the printer - I have no idea how to go about
> printing anything but text. My dad recently got an Epson Stylus Photo
> 700, which might be somewhat proprietary, but might also be compatible
> with some other Epson. If this does not work, I can always fall back to
> the worn-out HP DeskJet 680C, but I really would like to get the Epson
> working. Any help is appreciated in advance.
>
> Tilde,
> Jeffrey :j

Check out this webpage for how to set up an AWE64,
http://members.home.com/2817628153/Configure/SBAWE64.html

-- Norman Jordan -- Electrical Engineering Student

The Linux Resource Center

==============AAEC49D4CEE23BDFC75EBC66

<HTML>
Jeffrey Bridge wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I have been running W95 and then W98 with a SB ViBRA16
PnP for a year,
<BR>and it worked great, even with full duplex. However, when I upgraded
<BR>(&lt;-- notice the terminology) to Linux, I quickly saw that it was
not
<BR>going to work and so I got myself a SB AWE64 Value for the same price
as
<BR>I got the 16 a year ago. It works fine for .wav files through /dev/dsp
<BR>and .au files through /dev/audio, however I cannot get the MIDI working.
<BR>I am not bothering with the AWE part yet, but I tried playing several
<BR>non-corrupt midi files with playmidi-2.3, and it apparently thought
that
<BR>it was playing the midi files, but no sound came out. I think there
<BR>might be a problem with the MIDI volume, as opposed to the main mixer
<BR>volume, but I do not know how to change this. Any help with this, and
<BR>also setting up AWE, would be appreciated.
<BR>Just for reference, I set up both the SB16 and the SB AWE64 with
<BR>isapnptools-1.17 with no problems, using all default values, and load
<BR>the sound driver as a module at boot-time after running isapnp.
<P>The other problem is with the printer - I have no idea how to go about
<BR>printing anything but text. My dad recently got an Epson Stylus Photo
<BR>700, which might be somewhat proprietary, but might also be compatible
<BR>with some other Epson. If this does not work, I can always fall back
<BR>the worn-out HP DeskJet 680C, but I really would like to get the Epson
<BR>working. Any help is appreciated in advance.
<P>Tilde,
<BR>Jeffrey :j</BLOCKQUOTE>
Check out this webpage for how to set up an AWE64, <A
HREF="http://members.home.com/2817628153/Configure/SBAWE64.html">http://members.home.com/2817628153/Configure/SBAWE64.html</A>
<P>-- Norman Jordan -- Electrical Engineering Student
<P><A HREF="http://members.home.net/2817628153/">The Linux Resource Center</A>
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

From: Rick Moen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Lexmark 3200
Date: 29 Dec 1998 06:46:14 GMT

Followups snipped.]

In comp.os.linux.setup Ajay Shekhawat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I was just wondering: would it be possible to get this printer (or any
: such "WinPrinter") working under Linux using a combination of Wine, Win3.1 and
: Ghostscript for Win32? That would be one heck of a hack.... :-)

Shoot it and put it out of its misery.
(HP's "PPA"-type printers are an exception, but barely.)

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!

------------------------------

From: "Natas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to get midi to work on a sb64
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 22:05:47 -0500

I was wondering how do I get midi to work in Linux with a sb64 gold.  I
would like to know how to do it with the 2.1.xxx or since 2.2 pre1 is out.
I tried various different setting but am confused on what to pick when it
comes to midi.  I can get everything else on the card to work except midi.
Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED] because Im at work right now :)
NaTaS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (LinuxCyrix)
Subject: WHEE!!!! Linux on an 386 (for real) w/ 4M
Date: 29 Dec 1998 05:35:37 GMT

Well, I've heard it can be done, an' I'm gonna try it..... MUUUAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!

      Compaq 386s needs new OS !!! I got no coprocessor, 4M that it'll actually
recognize, a blank drive, a Sanyo CDR-H94A CDROM, both 5 1/4 and a 3 1/2
floppies, 80M hard drive... and a RedHat boot disk that refuses to boot. I
think it has no root filesystem on board. I also can't get into the BIOS to dig
around in there...

      I wanna config it as an ethernet router/firewall ... LOLOL. Anybody got
any suggestions on how to get this done? Like, how much crap should the kernel
keep (2.0.36-0.6), how much can I really shave...

   I've read lots on how to compile the kernel, install a root fs, blah blah
blah.
I've heard that you hafta do it a special way. But I can't find anybody who's
actually done it. Anybody out there????? >; )

------------------------------

From: Earthling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mtv no sound at all
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:55:44 +0000

I use SB 64 AWE VALUE.  I can play music CD on Linux with cdp, but Video
CD have no sound in Mtv.  Can someone help?

Ksiu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (LinuxCyrix)
Subject: Re: Linux/MiPS....N64?
Date: 29 Dec 1998 05:41:13 GMT

Oh God. Almost as dumb as the PalmPilot and that Japanese refrigerator that
comes w/Linux and Navigator pre-installed. Yes, Man, you have a calling. May
the Force be with you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (LinuxCyrix)
Subject: Re: RedHat 5.2 Compatible  56K Voice/Data/Fax Modem
Date: 29 Dec 1998 05:23:31 GMT

I have a Multi-Tech MT5634ZPX V90 I got for $70 (don't expect this price.. I
got screwed by a dealer and MT replaced it) I have never had any problems
gettin' that sucker to dial.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (LinuxCyrix)
Subject: Re: Running Linux on AMD or Cyrix microprocessor
Date: 29 Dec 1998 05:37:47 GMT

Cyric 6x86 PR233 MX. Works great. Not like the last message... I don't do that
much caffiene. : )

------------------------------

From: RonaldKriemann<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MGA G200 on IBM T55D TFT display
Date: 28 Dec 1998 19:03:18 +0100

Hi,

we are testing the upper combination which works fine
under Win95 but makes some problems under X11.
The Xserver detects the correct chip (G200) and does switch
into graphicsmode but the display does not show anything
(it goes to sleep). It seems that the digital output is not
used.

Does anybody have an idea how to fix this ? Or do I have to keep
working on console :) ?

RGDS
  Ronald

--
       Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind,
                           but who cares ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Lorie)
Subject: LCD / TFT monitor support in XFree86 ?
Date: 29 Dec 1998 08:42:22 GMT

Are LCD-TFT monitors supported in XFree86 ?
I am particular interested in using the
Philips 151AX Brilliance under Linux.

Is there any documentation over this subject ?

Thanks,
  Stephen  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

--
          /
S.P. Lorie

Lucent Technologies Network Systems Nederland BV
Botterstraat 45, P.O. Box 18, 1270 AA Huizen, The Netherlands
Tel.: +31 35 687 4516 Fax: +31 35 687 5964 E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: When will kernel 2.2 be released?
Date: 28 Dec 1998 20:57:25 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Filip M. Gieszczykiewicz) writes:

> (what scares the crap out of me is the Navy moving their fleet from
> [stable] unix systems to NT... [shivvvvvver])

You can't expect a smart fleet without a digital nervous disorder...

------------------------------

From: Henry Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.unix,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,at.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: winmodems
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 03:56:49 -0500

Two observations:

1)  I've been doing a bit of research now looking for an internal V.90 modem
    that will plug into my PCI bus as I don't have any ISA slots free.  It
    appears that all PCI bus V.90 modems (Please correct me if I'm wrong) are
    "winmodems" or need special drivers to work either under Winblows or DOS.

    Because the modem manufacturers won't release the specs on how to make the
    the hardware work without the special driver, no LINUX driver can be written.
    I guess this may affect not only LINUX, but any non-winblows OS ( FreeBSD,
    X86 Solaris, etc.)

2)  In a way, this sort of forces those who have the newer PCI bus who want to
    have an internal V.90 modem to use winblows or resort to a serial cable to an
    external modem.  This is the kind of stuff that the congressional anti-trust
    hearings might look into.

Henry

------------------------------

From: Jeffrey Bridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: NetGear FA310TX only does 10Mbps
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 23:41:47 -0600

Doug Kelly wrote:

> Gregory Abbey wrote:
> >
> > I have built a local IP based network between NT and RH 5.2 using
> > NetGear FA310TX and FE104 components.  I'm using Version 3 of the
> > NetGear drivers for NT (Version 4.01 NT driver install was a disaster)
> > and the public domain tulip.c driver.
> >
> > The network functions and I can Browse, Ping, and Traceroute from NT
> > out throught the Linux machine (using ipfwadm) over the cable modem
> > and onto the Internet.
> >
> > Local FTP transfers (between machines) are however limited to
> > typically 9.95Mbps and the fastest ever observed was 25.4Mbps (and I
> > think that was cached).
> >
> > How can I make the NetGear compnents work up to their specified
> > 100Mbps transfer rate?  Both '100' lamps are on and the NT driver is
> > set to 100-full duplex.  The NICs both have Digital 21140 based chips.
> >
> > g-abbey'nospam'@home.com
>
> Don't confuse the wire frequency with the protocol efficiency. the
> 100Mbps simply indicates that the wire is running at that speed, not
> that you can expect to see that kind of throughput with any given
> protocol.
>
> I think what you're seeing is completely in line with what you should
> expect.  Your numbers indicate that you're seeing about 3 megabytes/sec
> going across the wire.  Given that you have a single process on either
> end, and the ftp protocol requires waiting for ACKs etc, and that you're
> reading/writing from at least buffer cache if not the drives themselves,
> it's pretty unreasonable to expect much better than this out of a single
> connection. For example, I have two K6-2/300 boxes with the same cards
> as you, running 100Mbps through a hub. Machine to machine, I also see
> about 3 megs/sec transfer. Doing an ftp `hostname` (ie ftp-ing to
> myself, but using the network), I only see about 3.6 megs/sec.    If you
> really want to see what the whole network subsystem is capable of, try
> running multiple ftp sessions at the same time. I'd expect that you
> might be able to get the aggregate up to 5 or 6 megs/sec.
>
> Doug Kelly
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have two FA310TXs here, one in my K6/233 and one in my dad's K6-2/300.
Instead of using the old 10 Mbps hub, or even getting a new 100 Mbps hub, I
use a Cat 5 crossover cable. I have transferred over a million packets in
the last 24 hours, with NO collisions. If you have only two computers to
link, you might want to try this option.

Tilde,
Jeffrey :j

------------------------------

From: amentzer<deletethisantispam>@snet.net (Kavindra)
Subject: Re: Best modem for Linux
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 06:14:23 GMT

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 01:44:04 -0500, "Richard F. Jr."
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>what is a good modem for Linux
>
>Rich
>
>From a somewhat clueless (Debian) Linux newbie-

I just bought a Newcom 56K V.90/x2 internal data/fax modem, and am
happy to say that it works quite well.  Jumpers can be used to disable
Plug-And-Pray so that the IRQ, etc. can be set manually.  After not
having much luck finding something I could afford online that was
suitable for my needs (i.e. able to run in Linux, Windows, and DOS), I
just happened to spot this behind the counter at Staples for only $70
U.S.  Until that point, I was resigned to spending more than $100.

This is my first de-lurk in this group; I want to thank everyone for
all the discussion about WinModems.  The sneaky sh*ts who market them
certainly don't go out of their way to identify them as such.  And the
reactions of salespeople when I mentioned wanting a modem for Linux!

-"What's that???"

-"You can actually figure that thing out???"

-or even the occasional scornful look, as if I'd just said I was a
communist or something.

                        Anthony

------------------------------

From: "David J. Looney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with ACEEX PCI modem
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 06:32:57 GMT

Thomas Sicheritz wrote:

> Does anybody know how to get a internal
> ACEEX HCF 56k Speakerphone PCI Modem
> to work in Linux ?

[snip]

> I am sure that the modem is no winmodem (because of the Rockw. chip)

It almost certainly is. It requires drivers listed as the "Rockwell HCF
56K Data Fax PCI Modem Series for Win95/98" or "Rockwell HCF 56K Data
Fax  PCI Modem Series for Win NT".   Where do you see differently ?

> Does anybody have a description of the jumper settings ?
> There are jumpers J1-J7 and the layout on ACEEX's webpage does not
> agree with the actual layout on my card ...

I don't don't see anything but specs for ISA cards on ACEEX's webpage,
and the 56K PCI modem is listed as a "upcoming product". No wonder the
jumpers don't match ?

Per previous postings in this newsgroup, consider returning the modem
and complaining loudly to the manufacturer and distributor.

Dave Looney

--
Remove composers from email address to respond.