Linux-Hardware Digest #51, Volume #14            Mon, 18 Dec 00 12:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: abit kt7 raid & linux (Kenneth Rørvik)
  linux + adaptec 29160 (Laurent)
  Integrated modem with linux 6.2 (Milan)
  Re: dying courier modem? ("Hooda Gest")
  Re: Netgear 310TX PCI Card - Linux Drivers? (Dougt)
  Re: ATAPI device hdd error ("dumon")
  IDE-Raid-Controller ("Joerg Stumpe")
  Re: Alpha: 21064 ("Michael Daly")
  Re: Sound Blaster not working ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: any Good MB for Duron? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: A simple question ("D. Stimits")
  bootable raid 1 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: linux + adaptec 29160 (Darren Woods)
  Re: Netgear 310TX PCI Card - Linux Drivers? (Yidao Cai)
  Re: open gl + Nvidia 9-5 + Tnt under Redhat 7 (Harri Haataja)
  Re: any Good MB for Duron? (Frank Miller)
  AT LAAAAAAAST !!! YIPPEEEEEEE! (root)
  Font server error after XFree86 4.01 upgrade ("Doug Kramer")
  SuSe on Win98 (Tiefenbacher)
  Re: Network Everywhere (but Linux) NC100 Version 2.1: Does this work at  (Heath
Doane)

Subject: Re: abit kt7 raid & linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:47:51 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sami Heikura) wrote in
<Sy7_5.263$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>>Get the HPT370 patch from www.highpoint-tech.com, and enable the HPT370
>>support in the kernel with the drive on one of the slower IDEchannels.
>>You can then try booting from one of the UDMA5 channels.
>>

>How do you do this?
>
>I'm installing linux for the first time, so it would be nice to know...

Welcome :)

Take a look at http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b6506063/hpt366/

The same procedure described there would apply to the HPT370 controller,
although of course with the HPT370 patch instead of the HPT366 patch.

Essentially, you will need to either install linux with the hard drive
connected to another controller (the KT7 also has two UDMA 33 channels),
and then apply the patch and move the disk to the HPT370 controller, or
install linux using the io-addresses and irq of the controllers as
described on the above page, and then apply the patch.

Good luck :)

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60 A         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Laurent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux + adaptec 29160
Date: 18 Dec 2000 13:23:56 GMT

Hello,

I have a linux box with a kernel 2.2.17-21mdksmp #1smp (mandrake 7.2). I put an
ultra 160 scsi 29160 adaptec card inside. The problem is that the card isn't
seen by Linux. It's a PCI 64 card and there nothing in /proc/pci.
Has someone an idea how to solve that problem ?

Thanks - Laurent

======
User of http://www.foorum.com/. The best tools for usenet searching.

------------------------------

From: Milan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Integrated modem with linux 6.2
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:30:04 -0000

Hi I have a prob my window is detecting modem on com4 and linux is
detecting it on ttys0 iam using gnome by using ppp demon it is
initialising the modem but while sending ATZ signal it gives error, that
modem not responding i have intel 810 chipset motherboard with integreted
Internal Modem(pictel modem) it is connected using AMR(Audio Modem Rizer)
slot............pls let me know if there is any solution to this....
Thanks

Milan.

From: "Hooda Gest" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.dcom.modems
Subject: Re: dying courier modem?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 08:30:10 -0500

Matt Garman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have an external USRobotics Courier "Dual Standard" analog modem that's
> about five or six years old (obviously it's a serial modem).  It's been
> flash upgraded to the latest ROM available from
> http://consumer.3com.com/couriera/upgrades/index.html.
>
> I am experiencing two rather strange behaviors with this modem.  This
> first is it emitting a very high-pitched frequency when it connects to
> another modem.  This frequency is emitted regardless of the modem's
> volume.  It is not very loud, but definately audible.  (I've seen some
> older TVs that make a similar noise.)

I've heard similar reports but don't recall any resolution. This high pitch
tone continues throughout the call, correct? Basic advice is to turn down
the volume. You might try calling USR regarding this (Courier owners get
toll free support in the US).

> The other problem is that it always drops carrier in the middle of file
> transfers.  I could dial up to my ISP and leave the connection on all day,
> and it wouldn't drop the connection.  However, if I try to download any
> large file (mp3s for example), it will always lose the connection about
> five minutes into the transfer.  My dad uses an external USRobotics
> Sportster 56k serial modem on his computer without any trouble (in fact
> his seems to perform better in general).  This is using the same phone
> line, but different computers.  His computer is a Pentium 133 with 32 mb
> of RAM running Windows NT 4.0.  I have a Pentium II 266 with 96 mb RAM
> running Linux (kernel 2.2.15, Debian 2.2).

Examine post-call diagnostics to determine the cause of the disconenct and
information about line quality. Perhaps the problem is something as simple
as an over-aggressive modem. This not uncommon. Th emodem tries to maintain
too high a speed for conditions. For most uses (web surfing, email and
newsgroup handling), this results in some stalling and hesitation while the
modem handles errors. But when large amounts of data are flowing in one
direction, the errors become magnified a bit and problems may result in a
disconnect.

I could tell more if you showed me the result of an ati6i11 after one of
these disconnects.

> Anyone have any ideas as to what the cause of these problems are?  Could
> they be related?

I don't believe they are related.

Hooda

------------------------------

From: Dougt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netgear 310TX PCI Card - Linux Drivers?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:51:50 GMT

Dermot Black wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I'm trying to find drivers for this card. Are there any? I'm using Suse
> 6.3 & kernel 2.2.13 and I also have a PCI Realtek 8139 in the machine.
>
> Working on it as a gateway for my network through a cable modem.
>
> Can anyone confirm whether Linux drivers for these cards use 100mb
> feature or do they default to 10mb?
>
> Thanks :)
>
> Dermot Black

If you have a realtek 8139 based card, tulip isnt the driver.  its
rtl8139.o.  I noticed recently its option has disappeared from make
menuconfig, although it is still in the source tree... u could just go to
linux/drivers/net and do a gcc -O1 -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE  -c rtl8139.c
(add necessary -Ipath if u need it, and _DMODVERSIONS if u get version
errors)

------------------------------

From: "dumon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATAPI device hdd error
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:54:48 +0100

I got the same problem but I noticed  that the error doesn't occur when a CD
is inserted into the concidered drive :)

------------------------------

From: "Joerg Stumpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IDE-Raid-Controller
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 15:19:44 +0100

Hello ...

We are looking for a IDE-Raid solution for linux ...
does anyone know which controllers are supported
(and which are recommended)

Thanks in advance
J.S.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
From: "Michael Daly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Alpha: 21064
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:17:47 GMT

Hi,

Thanks for the help everyone! I had looked at SUSE Linux for Alpha and it
only mentioned the 21164 processor so either (1) this would not be backwards
compatible or (2) it would run but they had not tested it.

Michael.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster not working
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:35:00 GMT

In article <Ypd%5.225783$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Chris" <e e z e e 7 @ h o m e . c o m> wrote:
> This helped a little, but I still get the error message.  The only
> difference now is that there is something that says: Starting up ISA PNP
> devices, when the system starts up.  Just something to note; there is no
> isapnp.conf file on my computer, and when I did pnpdump, there was no
> output.
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:91h1qj$oca$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <4sS_5.217677$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "Chris" <e e z e e 7 @ h o m e . c o m> wrote:
> > > I am running Redhat Linux 6.2, and I'm having trouble with my Sound
> Blaster
> > > clone sound card.  When I try to use sndconfig, I get the following
> error
> > > messages (these also appear when the computer is booting up):
> > >
> > >        /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/sb.o: init_module: Device or
> > >        resource busy
> > >        /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/sb.o: insmod
> > >        /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/sb.o failed
> > >        /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/sb.o: insmod sound-slot-0 failed
> > >
> > > I have no idea what the trouble is, and I am hoping someone here can
> resolve
> > > this.  One thing to note however; my sound card DID work properly
> running an
> > > older version of RH Linux (I think it was RH5 or something).
> > > -----
> > > Chris
> > >

> > I am also running 6.2 with a Sound Blaster 16 card which is currently
> > working.  When I upgraded from RH 6.1 to 6.2, I had some trouble with the
> > sound card working, but I was able to correct this by re-running the
> "pnpdump
> > -c" command ("-c" option allows the pnpdump program to guess at a good
> > configuration for the pnp devices), and redirect the output to the
> > isapnp.conf file. After rebooting, I was able to configure the card with
> the
> > sndconfig utility.  I don't know if this will work for you, but it is
> > something that worked for me.
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

I assumed the sound card you have is a plug-n-play device.  The isapnp.conf
file should be located in the /etc directory for the isapnp program to read
it when the system starts.  This allows Linux to use the plug-n-play devices.
 The full syntax of the command I mentioned before would look like this:

pnpdump -c > /etc/isapnp.conf

There will appear to be no output to the screen, but check the isapnp.conf
file to see if anything is there.  If not, then it probably did not find any
devices it could configure.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: any Good MB for Duron?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:41:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Frank Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dack wrote:
> >
> > For Linux support, which MB are good for AMD Duron?
> Look at the AMD site for supported MBs.  I am using the Abit KT7 with
an
> Athlon Socket A 700 MHz CPU with no problems.

Do you have to use a paricular ver of kernel or do you have to recompile
the kernel?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 07:56:58 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A simple question

Joshua Beard wrote:

> I was wondering if there is 3D support or if Linux fully supports the
> ATI Rage Pro Turbo card(s)?
> I can get 32 bit color and everything, but X Screen Saver lags really
> bad on GL screensavers (I think), such as the rubrick's cube.  Is this
> normal?  Is there something I need to install/configure?  Any help would
> be appreciated, thanks.
>             - Josh.

See:
http://www.XFree86.Org/4.0.1/Status6.html#6
http://dri.sourceforge.net/DRIuserguide.html
http://www2.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1331&p=2

Some cards have hardware accel OpenGL support, others don't. Most
require version 4.0.x of XFree86, and usually only software is enabled
by default. Don't know about your particular card.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.kernel
Subject: bootable raid 1
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 15:05:06 GMT

I am currently doing bootable raid 1 with all of the latest patches
for
2.2.18 and then some.
When I try to boot the system with either drive removed, I get a bunch
of
010101010's in an endless loop.
Yet, when both drives are in, the system comes up fine. What am I
doing
wrong?

Using lilo 21.5

lilo.conf.hda

disk=/dev/md0
bios=0x80
sectors=63
heads=15
cylinders=13328
partition=/dev/md1
start=63
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=vmlinux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=vmlinuz
root=/dev/md0
append=" ide3=autotune ide1=autotune ide2=autotune hdh=ide-scsi"
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinux
label=vmlinux
root=/dev/md0
append=" ide3=autotune ide1=autotune ide2=autotune hdh=ide-scsi"
read-only

lilo.conf.hdc

disk=/dev/md0
bios=0x81
sectors=63
heads=16
cylinders=16278
partition=/dev/md1
start=63
boot=/dev/hdc

From: Darren Woods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux + adaptec 29160
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:07:50 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Laurent
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a linux box with a kernel 2.2.17-21mdksmp #1smp (mandrake 7.2). I put
> an
> ultra 160 scsi 29160 adaptec card inside. The problem is that the card isn't
> seen by Linux. It's a PCI 64 card and there nothing in /proc/pci.
> Has someone an idea how to solve that problem ?
>
> Thanks - Laurent

Hi Laurent,

I'm using 2.2.18 in Slackware and have no trouble with that same card.
The kernel you are using shouldn't have any problem with the 29160 if
you compile in: Adaptec AIC7xxx support  (under SCSI low-level drivers)

here is what I see at boot...

(scsi0) <Adaptec AIC-7892 Ultra 160/m SCSI host adapter> found at PCI
0/19/0
(scsi0) Wide Channel, SCSI ID=7, 32/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 392 instructions downloaded
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.31/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AIC-7892 Ultra 160/m SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 1 host.

it's not exactly recognized as a 29160 but I'm not really concerned,
it's there and it's quite fast.

I hope this helps.  Cheers...

Darren

------------------------------

From: Yidao Cai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:46:37 -0600

> Can anyone confirm whether Linux drivers for these cards use 100mb
> feature or do they default to 10mb?

tulip. Both RedHat 6.1 and 7.0 autodetected it. The transfer rate betweem
this card and a intel card was 1.5 Mbytes/sec and 2.8 Mbytes/sec tested
using large files. So it must not be working at 10mb.

cai
-
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Subject: Re: open gl + Nvidia 9-5 + Tnt under Redhat 7
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:27:52 GMT

Daniel wrote:
>PLEASE HELP ME I'M GOING NUTS.

Save your sanity and get another maker's card. I did.
nVidia and their drivers work very rarely and even politically this
is a good answer to that. Vote with your feet.
I had an ASUS TNT board and the best I got was a messed up console
after trying all the tricks. Apparently only the newest boards work
on those drivers. No new versions are in sight and I hear nVidia
doesn't even answer any support mails either.

------------------------------

From: Frank Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:42:28 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Frank Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Dack wrote:
> > >
> > > For Linux support, which MB are good for AMD Duron?
> > Look at the AMD site for supported MBs.  I am using the Abit KT7 with
> an
> > Athlon Socket A 700 MHz CPU with no problems.
> >
> Do you have to use a paricular ver of kernel or do you have to recompile
> the kernel?
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/
Mandrake 7.2 and Redhat 7 (both download versions) worked with no
problems.

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AT LAAAAAAAST !!! YIPPEEEEEEE!
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 18:44:31 +0200

I am happy to tell you that this mail comes from my Linux Red Hat 7.0
Installation.
I had Sun Solaris 2.8 before but never was able to get to the internet
with my internal modem.
This is ***king great.........

I still have some problems. First is that I have temporarily moved the
disk to the ATA33 controllers, want it on HTP66 ATA/66. I have been
adviced to patch the kernel but on kernel.org I could not find any info
on the later version regarding support for these fast controllers. So if
you have some tips please let me know! I'd appreciate that A LOT.

Second thing is firewalls? I know little about it and at the moment
there could be 200 hackers in my system. Only thing I notice would be
the hdd lamp blinking little more than usual.....  (.;
So, anyone of you know of a good FW with simple installation and setup?

Can't wait to install my favv db Oracle on this pc.... This is just
great...

Regards
Jerra

------------------------------

From: "Doug Kramer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Font server error after XFree86 4.01 upgrade
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:49:53 -0500

I am having a similar problem that Gilles Lamoureux mentioned a coupel of
days ago on this same newgroup. I tried what Dan White suggested pertaining
to the HD space, I have more than enough. I also tried restarting the X font
server it started [OK]. What I did notice during shutdown it mentioned
"shuting down X Font server....[Failed].

Here is my case:

I installed a new ATI card, downloaded the new XFree86 4.01 binaries with
the extra fonts checked out XF86Config to see if all was kewl (looked okay
to me) after running 'xf86config', and tried the 'startx' command to get
this error taken from the last 20 or so lines of XFee86.0.log:

(II) r128(0): Acceleration enabled
(II) r128(0): Using hardware cursor (scanline 4104)
(II) r128(0): Largest offscreen area available: 1280 x 5525
(WW) r128(0): Option "power_saver" is not used
(II) r128(0): Direct rendering disabled
(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension LBX
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
(II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
(**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
(**) Mouse1: Protocol: "PS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse1: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(==) Mouse1: Buttons: 3
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard1" handled by legacy driver
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse1" (type: MOUSE)
Could not init font path element unix/:-1, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
~~~~~~~~~~

So does anyone have any suggestions? I am all ear's!

------------------------------

From: Tiefenbacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SuSe on Win98
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:21:23 +0100

To me as an absolute beginner in linux it seems that, getting started
physically with linux, one of the most important things is the way you
organize your hard disk, especially if you want to use various OS.
So, therefore i´d love to know what "real experts" think about the
following: (the partitioning and formatting was done by partition magic
under win)

What do you think of my way of partitioning:

10GB hard disk partitioned in
    one primary: 4GB Fat32 for win,
        one extended partition of 6GB with:
            one logical 50MB root Linux,
            one logical 150MB swap Linux and
            one logical 3.5GB linux, and
                two logical each 1GB Fat for win data?
Do i have to expect serious problems for my harddisk, system??
Any replies greatfully aknowledged

------------------------------

From: Heath Doane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Network Everywhere (but Linux) NC100 Version 2.1: Does this work at
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:00:53 GMT

":)" wrote:

> Network Everywhere (Linksys) NC100 V.2.1
>
> I've tried tulip.c versions: 0.91f, 0.91g, 0.92 and none can detect the NIC.
> Is there a special tulip.c I should be using?  Or should I ditch the cards
> completely?
>
> Kernel 2.2.12
>
> hycheng at email dot com

Hi There...

  I have the same card.  The only way I could get it to work was to
download the latest TULIP and PCISCAN source from www.scyld.com, and
compile them.  Also, I've found under Mandrake 6.x and 7.x that the
sources need a little hacking, espically as it relates to includes and
dependencies.

  Once the driver is built, though, it works like a charm.

 As always, ymmv

          Heath