  scanner (Loren Brookes)

From: Marc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but
am stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 05:40:19 GMT

I am not telling you to use anytning but what you wish to use.  what I am telling
you is that there is a way to get a copy of Red Hat 5.2  for $2.95 (american)  I
don;t know about you,,but for three bucks I'd rather have the install CD"s so in
case anything ever went wrong reinstalling would be quick and easy,,,,(well as easy
as it can be in linux :)::)))))
I am also NOT telling you to do anything special with your harddrive,,I personally
do not care what you have on your 7.5giger,,,,
if you are intrested go to www.linuxcentral.com and order the "GPL" version of
REDHAT 5.2!!!!!    (and between you and me,I'd see if I can find the "Mandrake"
version of RH5.2 it comes with KDE already integrated,,but if that is not available
as GPL then just get reg RH5.2 and downsuck KDE if ya want it)

CHeers

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: PC reboots with Evergreen CPU
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 03:36:00 GMT

Hello,

Another interesting problem:  I have a DEC Pentium-90, 72MB RAM, Phoenix Pnp
BIOS 4.04.  I recently upgraded from P90 to Evergreen MxPro 240.  Seems to be
working, however sometimes when PC is initially turned on or restarted later,
BIOS will show ??? for CPU and Linux will randomly crash on startup (cold
reboot after fs check).  I'm just wondering if anyone has run into similar
problems...  BIOS upgrade is out of the question - the last BIOS upgrade was
in November 1995 (no laughing, please) :-)

Any ideas?

- Slav Inger.
- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Damon C. Richardson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TNT vs Banshee
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:00:38 -0600

==============335603836F93444F4E24D762

I bought the TNT....  I wish I had Some kind of 3d support.
Get 3D support.

Jani wrote:

> Hi!
>
> As everyone I too have a big problem choosing which card I should use.
> I have tested both Riva TNT and Banshee on Win98 and couldn't see
> much of a difference in my use... but which is better on Linux?  I use
> at the moment TNT with XFree86 3.3.3, but is it possible to get
> Banshee running with SVGA or any other than VGA16 server?
>
> de Jani
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============335603836F93444F4E24D762

begin:vcard
n:Richardson;Damon C.
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:G.E.C.M.C;IS
adr:version:2.1;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Application Developer
fn:Damon C. Richardson
end:vcard

==============335603836F93444F4E24D762==

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OPTi 82c391 setup
Date: 30 Dec 1998 20:01:42 GMT

Ivan Dobrianov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 0: MSS audio codec (82C930)

Hello,

        i use kernel 2.1.132 and i followed the doc at Documentation/sound/Opti
and also checked the mad16.c source file.
        To use full-duplex it seems that you must use one of three DMA
configurations. You can check this by examining the lines 679... on the
mad16.c file.
I use this at /etc/isapnp.conf:

(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 3))
(DMA 1 (CHANNEL 0))

        To play MIDI you must have the opl3 driver selected with the correct
port, but i didn't test it, ie , i make cat /dev/sndstat and it shows has a
synth device.The same about full-duplex, ie, it shows at /dev/sndstat like
this

Audio devices:
0: MAD16 WSS (82C930) (DUPLEX)

but didn't test it yet cause when i was reading your message i went to check
the mad16.c file and saw the required DMA configuration.

At /etc/conf.modules i have this (including other stuff you can find on the
Opti file ):

options mad16 irq=5 dma=3 dma16=0 io=0x530 joystick=1 cdtype=0

Now i have one problem, the alias audio0 mad16 , etc don't seem to work,ie,
i need to insmod manualy the module...

Bye,
                                        Nuno Sucena

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (T1)
Subject: Redhat Linux 5.1 and 3com 3c509b-TPO card troubleshooting
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 06:04:49 GMT

        Hi. I am currently using Redhat Linux 5.1 and am using a 3com
3c509b-TPO card. It worked well in my older PC under all operating
systems but when I transferred it to my new PC, it worked well under
Windows98 but not under RH Linux 5.1. I tried to get it to the correct
I/O and correct IRQ but no luck so far.  Does anyone know how to get
this ethernet card working once again under RH Linux 5.1?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.networking,bionet.plants
Subject: Re: Human based computers (Was   -   Fruit-based computers)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 07:49:04 +0100

Marc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in comp.os.linux.development.system:
M> I think I saw somthing like this,,wasn't Homer Simpson the first recipient (PII)

So that's what the cpu cooler shaped stuff on his head is for. (-:

Reminds me of Pratchett, where silicon-brained trolls get more intelligent
as the temperature falls.

--
Olav "Mac" Wölfelschneider                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP fingerprint = 06 5F 66 B3  2A AD 7D 2D  B7 19 67 3C  95 A7 9D AF

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:28:36 -0800
From: Philip Edelbrock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hardware Health Monitoring under Linux

 Announcement:

The Lm_sensors Development Group has just released the latest version
of hardware health monitoring drivers for Linux 2.x..

Some features:

* Monitor voltages, temperatures, fan speeds, etc. using the hardware
health monitoring chip on your mainboard (such as an LM80, Winbond
W83781, LM79, LM75,  GL518, etc.)

* Set and monitor limits set on many inputs to be alerted in the case,
for
example, of a failing power supply, CPU's getting too hot, a fan that
stopped rotating, opening of the computer while it is on, etc. before it

downs the machine, or worse, burns-up at least part of the machine.

* Visually monitor the values through third-party X11 apps, web, etc.

* Use some other related features, like reading the EEPROM on
DIMMs or Xeon processors.  (Parsing script to produce human
readable results for PC-100 DIMMs is bundled with the software.)

This software is very handy for adminastrators of self-standing
servers, and other critical use Linux machines.

The software can also run on embedded devices (e.g.,
monitor/keyboard-less web server 'boxes' running Linux, etc.).

For more info and download, go to:

http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78

The software is available for free for non-profit use under a
GNU-like license.  For profit use, please email us for conditions:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Enjoy! :')

Philip Edelbrock

Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 23:39:34 -0500
From: chipins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Epson ActionPrinter 5000+ ESC/P2 Printer...

 To:
            Michael T Richardso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I understood there was an ESC P/2 driver in the Ghostview package.  You may

need to download a recent ghostview, as last time I looked it wasn't in the

free ghostview to be found on Linux distribution disks.

Check out the non-free but no charge recent ghostview release and post if
it works.

I have just bought an Epson Stylus Color 600 which prints text from DOS but

when I get Linux installed I am hoping that I can render fonts correctly
with ghostview, so I would be interested in your results.

------------------------------

From: Harald Arnesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Iomega Zip drive
Date: 30 Dec 1998 20:27:04 +0100

Bela Lantos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am running Caldera's Openlinux Lite 1.3. I have a zip drive, but I
> have no idea how to find it (or use it) in Linux. Can anyone help me?

SCSI, IDE or parallel? It is explained in the ZIP-Howto.
--
Harald Arnesen, Apalløkkveien 23 A, N-0956 Oslo, Norway

------------------------------

From: "Andrew G. Minich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trident 968x & TFT HHEELLPP!!
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 08:03:44 +0100

I have a problem with configuring X11.
I have LapTop Mitac 5033T with Trident 968X video card and 800x600 LCD
panel. I have bought RedHat 5.0 (Russian version, something as "Krasnaya
shapochka"), and when i try to configure X11 (whith "Xconfigurator") I set
up right video card an "Custom monitor"whith standart refresh, and when i
type 'startx' I don't see anymore, and in XF86Config file in section
Device I see "My video card", may be "Xconfigurator" is "One big bug and
it not work properly, or  I nothing to understand in this thing? I thy to
configure manualy  whis file XF86Config and tru many standart "Modeline":
56 Hz, 60 Hz, 72 Hz (from README.Monitor) and no one is right!
Pleas HELP me!!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 23:03:24 -0500
From: chipins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FAQ to this group anywhere?

MBach25631 wrote:

> Hello guys!
>
> I'm very interested in installing linux on my machine, but I don't know if
> my hardware is supported. I would be glad if anybody could give me a
> link to a "supported- hardware" site.<...snip...>
>  If possible, I want to use Suse Linux 6.0 ( intl version).
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Martin
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  I cannot help specifically with S.u.S.E., Martin,  but here are two places
you could look

(1) The RedHat hardware compatibility pages
<http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/intel/rh52-hardware-intel-3.html>

(2) The "Hardware-HOWTO" file - found on most distribution CD sets and most
Linux ftp sites.  There are some other files in the "Howto" directory that may
also interest you if you get interested in more complex use of hardware, such
as sound and cd writers.

Good luck - I am also a Linux newbie, and in a similar place to you - actually
I am trying to decide if Used Windows boxes are suitable for a home Linux
workstation.  I carry the RedHat list with me to the store!

------------------------------

From: Vladimir Florinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Matrox G200, Xfree 3.3.3 Partial Solution, Need Help...
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 23:51:13 -0700

Shaun See wrote:

> Yes this is another posting for the Matrox G200 and Linux, in this case, RH
> 5.2. I have the card mostly working thanks in great part to many peoples kind
> postings on this and other newgroups.
>
> I apologize for the length of this posting as I am going to include a fairly
> detailed description of the steps I went through and follow that up with some
> questions at the end.
>
> When I started researching the G200 and RH 5.2 Linux it seemed I had to make a
> choice
> to proceed with one of 4 directions:
>
> 1) Download the Suse server for the G200 from www.suse.com
> 2) Upgrade Xfree86 to 3.3.3 from www.xfree86.org
> 3) Upgrade Xfree86 to 3.3.3-1 using RH rpm's from ftp://updates.redhat.com
> 4) Upgrade Xfree86 to 3.3.3-6 using RH rpm's from ftp://developer.redhat.com
>
> When I checked the Suse site, all I could find was a reference that Xfree
> 3.3.3 was now out and a pointer to a site with the Suse RPMs to upgrade.
> Upgrading X myself from Xfree directly seemed somewhat daunting so I opted to
> pull down the RH compliant RPM's and use those.  I chose 3.3.3-6 from
> developer.redhat.com because the readme's talked about a lot of fixes since
> 3.3.3-1 which was all that was available from updates.redhat.com
>
> Unfortunately, I was unable to find any directions on how to proceed  This is
> what I did:
>
> Downloaded files from ftp://developer.redhat.com/pub/rhcn/RPMS/i386/
>      190723 Dec 29 12:18 XFree86-rhcn-XF86Setup-3.3.3-6.i386.rpm
>      313882 Dec 29 12:33 XFree86-rhcn-cyrillic-fonts-3.3.3-6.i386.rpm
>      705995 Dec 29 12:38 XFree86-rhcn-VGA16-3.3.3-6.i386.rpm
>     1095142 Dec 29 12:45 XFree86-rhcn-75dpi-fonts-3.3.3-6.i386.rpm
>     1196419 Dec 29 12:55 XFree86-rhcn-SVGA-3.3.3-6.i386.rpm
>     1268608 Dec 29 12:56 XFree86-rhcn-100dpi-fonts-3.3.3-6.i386.rpm
>     1110212 Dec 29 13:00 XFree86-rhcn-libs-3.3.3-6.i386.rpm
>     2164925 Dec 29 13:13 XFree86-rhcn-devel-3.3.3-6.i386.rpm
>     8426568 Dec 29 13:45 XFree86-rhcn-3.3.3-6.i386.rpm
>      958296 Dec 29 15:21 XFree86-rhcn-server-common-3.3.3-6.i386.rpm
>
> I then forced their install using rpm -i --nodeps --force *.rpm  This may have
>
> been a mistake, but being new to linux and rpm, I could not figure out a
> better solution.
All you need is XFree86-SVGA-3.3.3 - the server itself. Old libs will work just
fine and the fonts haven't changed a bit. This works for me. However, I have RH
5.1 and XFree packaging could've changed in the new version (although it's still
3.3.2).

> I then ran xf86config and setup my card and monitor, G200 was a valid choice.
> I can now run X in 8, 16, 24 and 32 depth using the -- -bpp x (where x=8, 16
> etc) or by including the DefaultColorDepth x line in the screen section of the
Nice card, isn't it?

> /etc/X11/XF86Config file.
>
> Having said all of that...  Here are my questions.
>
> 1) The Xconfigurator utility now core dumps on me.  Has anyone else seen this
> aberrent behaviour and managed to resolve it?  xf86config works just fine?
I never used any of these. Xconfigurator is a Red Hat utility and may be
incompatible with the new XFree.

> 2) I notice that in 24 and 32 bit depths my colors are a bit off?  For example
>
> the icons in netscape are an awfull sort of grey?  Again, has anyone else
> noticed this?  I have 8MB of ram on my G200, do I need to upgrade to 16MB or
> higher?
This happens with Netscape 4.5 only? Someone posted a fix on this group a while
ago (4.06 works fine here).

> 3) Now when I do a rpm -qa | grep -i xfree, I see both the 3.3.2 packages and
> the 3.3.3 packages?  Can I safely remove the 3.3.2 packages or do I need to
> uninstall everything for Xfree and install just the 3.3.3 stuff?
I suppose you can do this. But why bother?

> 4) I notice in the /etc/X11/XF86Config file created for me there are
> references to an Accelerated Server?  Does anyone know what this is?  Is it
> worth looking into?  Does the G200 support it?
What, exactly, is this reference? XF86_SVGA is the server and it is accelerated
for the Millenium.

> 5) When I installed RH52 it prompted me about whether I want to include Xvfb
> as a new method of controlling the keyboard under X (rather than Xmodmap)?  I
> don't profess to know much about this topic, but I do notice that the package
> for Xvfb is still 3.3.2 as there wasn't a 3.3.3-6 package on
> developer.redhat.com?  I did see a 3.3.3-1 Xvbf package on updates.redhat.com?
>
>  Should I upgrade to the 3.3.3-1 version?
This apparently changed in RH 5.2. This was called XKeyboard or 'xkb'.

--

Vladimir

------------------------------

From: "umm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 5.2 wont see my Intel 8/16 ethernet card
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 02:27:21 -0500

------------------------------

From: "Gerardo M. Trias" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.unix,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,at.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: winmodems
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:22:28 -0800

Henry Wong wrote:

> Two observations:
>
> 1)  I've been doing a bit of research now looking for an internal V.90 modem
>     that will plug into my PCI bus as I don't have any ISA slots free.  It
>     appears that all PCI bus V.90 modems (Please correct me if I'm wrong) are
>     "winmodems" or need special drivers to work either under Winblows or DOS.
>
>     Because the modem manufacturers won't release the specs on how to make the
>     the hardware work without the special driver, no LINUX driver can be written.
>     I guess this may affect not only LINUX, but any non-winblows OS ( FreeBSD,
>     X86 Solaris, etc.)
>
> 2)  In a way, this sort of forces those who have the newer PCI bus who want to
>     have an internal V.90 modem to use winblows or resort to a serial cable to an
>     external modem.  This is the kind of stuff that the congressional anti-trust
>     hearings might look into.
>
> Henry
>
> witra wrote:
> >
> > "Robert J. Sprawls" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >The information has been out there for some time. There is no reason to
> > >feel duped. People need to research their purchases.
> >
> > The average person getting their first pc is hard pressed to even
> > understand what is a modem, much less appreciate the special
> > "features" of the winmodems. When they first gets the pc, they
> > wouldn't have even heard of Linux or Unix. If you ask them about OSs
> > and Win95/98, they may have heard of those words but not have any idea
> > what they mean. Six to twelve months down the line, they've learnt a
> > bit and want to try stuff...
> >
> > >It's not fraud to *not* tell the consumer what is in there machine. It is
> > >fraud if they lie about it. If you ask them if the HW is Win9x only, and
> > >they say "I don't know", buy elsewhere. If they say "Yes", make them
> > >replace it with non-Win9x HW, at no extra cost, or buy elsewhere. Always
> > >be prepared to walk away. That is why I have no attachment to Dell,
> > >Compaq, Gateway, or any of those other alleged "Computer super retail
> > >outlets". Ya can't trust em.

  test

------------------------------

From: Loren Brookes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: scanner
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 20:56:23 +1300

Hi there...

I have a Sicos scanner with a hardware interface > PC ISA BUS
                                                        software
interface > HP ScanJet Plus (IIc)

As far as I can make out, sane supports this scanner in scsi only.

Does anybody know how I can support this scanner under Linux > 2.0.36 ?

Please advise... I haven't had any luck searching the web... actually I
did find the source for an HP scanner a couple of weeks ago, but at the
time I hadn't figured out that my Sicos was HP compat... so I didn't
bother to download...now I can't find where these drivers were :(

Please help... and have a Happy New Year everybody!