Linux-Hardware Digest #113, Volume #9             Tue, 5 Jan 99 20:13:33 EST

Contents:
  Re: LS120 (Richard Forster)
  Re: need to take action on the Winmodem problem (Bill Anderson)
  Re: HP Deskjet 697C -- Usable under Linux? (Bill Anderson)
  CALCOMP DRAWING PAD (Jos van Eunen)
  Re: linux on winbook xlii ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  3c905b - Forcing speed? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Mounting CDROM ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!! (Bill Anderson)
  Re: Need advice on what network cards to buy (Danny Willis)
  Multipass C5000 and Redhat Linux 5.2 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Converting Serial port ttyS0 to ttyS1 (Guenther Wieser)
  Re: 19 inch monitor recommendations sought (James Turner)
  IBM token-ring cards & eathernet cards ("John Vine")
  Re: Create Bootable disk with LS-120 drive? (Mark Paulus)
  Re: External projector won't show X display
  HCT program? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  HP Deskjet 400 won't print ps - Help?! ("Alvaro A. Novo")
  Re: SCSI controller AIC-6x60 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ZIP Drive mount ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but am
stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!
  Re: 3c905b - Forcing speed? (Dan Nguyen)
  Dell Servers (Alex Parfenov)

From: Richard Forster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LS120
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 14:47:05 +0000

Alberto Pueyo wrote:

> I am installing a LS120 superdrive in my computer. I would appreciate if
> someone could let me know where to find some instructions on how to do
> this, so that linux recognizes it. (I'm using kernel 1.2.13; I want to
> install the LS drive to make a backup before trying to install kernel
> 2.0.35).

Assuming this is an IDE version of the LS-120 and not the parallel port of which
I know nothing.
You're not going to get it to work with your 1.X kernel as 2.0.32 (or maybe 31)
was the first to support LS-120 drives.
However, fit the drive and boot with one of the modern single floppy distros
such as TOMSRTBT (find out about it on freshmeat). This comes with 2.0.36 and
recognises the LS-120 on boot up. I admit I can't remember actually _using_ my
LS-120 under such conditions but if it is seen and recognised in the boot
messages then I'm not worrying. Then mount your existing drive and the LS-120
and copy your stuff off. Hey you may even want to put a linux file system on the
LS-120 drive before you do the backup, it _does_ work, I use mine like this all
this time.

Lastly, you need to check that your motherboard can support these drives, if it
can't then no kernel version will help you.

Rick

     richard.forster at strath.ac.uk
emails with cool .sig suggestions welcome

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: need to take action on the Winmodem problem
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 14:52:14 -0700

Chris Lee wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >
> >On 29 Dec 1998 00:42:57 -0600, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >>mlw ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >>
> >>I avoid the problem by refusing all internal modems and only getting
> >>externals.  If there's no physical connection to the motherboard other
> >>than through a standard rs232 port, then I'm guaranteed that there's no
> >>way in hell it can offload some of its responsibility to the CPU no matter
> >>what it says on the box in the store.  Granted it costs about $10-15 more
> >>than an equivilent internal modem, but then you get Dasblinkelights on the
> >>modem.  You can never have too many blinkenlights.
> >
> >No. Forcing users to have another power plug on their desk and more
> >cables to cope with sucks pretty severely, even if Dasblinkelights
> >are extremely useful for troubleshooting.
>
> It's the internal modems that suck dude. Try using/swaping that PC internal
> modem with another computer. What's that? It doesn't work with an Mac or an
> Amiga system? Looks like you have to buy another modem,dude....

Why? Just run linux on that intel with ipmasq/ipchains and network it
all ;-)

------------------------------

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Deskjet 697C -- Usable under Linux?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 14:45:57 -0700

Equinox wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I received a Hewlett-Packard 697C printer as a Christmas gift.  I am
> wondering if this printer can be used with Linux.  (HP's website is
> absolutely useless, and the manuals that come with the printer are
> even worse -- bloody kindergarten readers, and they're all M$-this and
> M$-that... they don't even mention HP's own HP-UX operating system!)
>
> Any and all information about using this printer with Linux would be
> greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>
> --Equinox

Yes, it will work. If you are running redhat 5.(1|2) run the control
panel from xwindows, select the printer tool, and then select the 600
series. Use 'fix star-stepping text' and you should be good to go. Note,
however, that you do not get to select the various modes for
photo-paper, etc. (I have a 693C, nearly identical), unless someone
knows of a driver that does ... considering attempting to run the
windows stuff under wine.

__
Bill Anderson
Unless state dotherwise, my opinions are just that.

------------------------------

From: Jos van Eunen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CALCOMP DRAWING PAD
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 16:50:06 +0000

Does anyone know if there is linux support for the Calcomp Drawing pad.
Please reply by email, thanks

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: linux on winbook xlii
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 14:59:28 GMT

Look here:      http://www.choral.org/~alex/laptop

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 3c905b - Forcing speed?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 14:31:11 GMT

I've went through all the previous postings on this subject and found no
help :/

this is the problem:

It appears that the card is found and the proper module is loaded (3c59x)
but it still won't work, also when I run ifconfig, it tells me that the
encap is 10Mb which dead wrong, I used the 3Com utility to set
the card to 100Mb only, but it still says 10Mb. since our network here is
100Mb it doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to force the network speed? Or if anyone knows this
problem in particular, what the h*ll do I do? I've even gone as far as to
reinstall the whole shazam. And I have the latest of everything, I know, I
spent hours on checking hehe :)

Appriciate any help I can get

Sincerely,

Carl Knoos

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Mounting CDROM
Date: 5 Jan 1999 15:20:29 GMT

In his obvious haste, DWheaton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
: Where do I go from here? How do I get my cdrom up and running?

Looks like you'll have to compile a new kernal.
(unless you still have a backup of the old one)
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|                                                 |
|    Andrew Halliwell      | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
|     Finallist  in:-      |  suck is probably the day they start making     |
|    Computer science      |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!!
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 15:49:30 -0700

DG wrote:

> Stuff a pie in your face.
>
> On Fri, 01 Jan 1999 22:44:11 -0600, Frank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >> <snip>
> >> DO NOT GIVE ME IRRELEVANT BULLSH**
> >> SUCH AS TELLING ME TO PARTITION MY OTHER HARD DRIVE. I WILL CONTINUE
> >> TO POST THIS MESSAGE UNTIL SOMEONE HELPS ME FIX THIS PROBLEM !!!
> >>
> >> Please post a reply to this message. I've had to switch ISPs in the
> >> past due to people spamming and framing my acount(s).

Given the nature of your posts, I would venture to say it would likely
that your acocunt was cancelled for abuse.

Subject: Re: Need advice on what network cards to buy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Danny Willis)
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 23:05:40 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mars) writes:

>I will be buying another computer and want to network my existing one.
>The new box will mainly be running linux (debian 2.0 kernel 2.0.36)
>and the old box will be running win95.

I'm not sure what's best for you, but here's a few ideas.

>I want to use thinnet network (10base2) because I don't want to buy a
>hub for a 10baseT network.

You can connect two 10BaseT ports together with a crossover cable.

>I will be using the linux box as a gateway/router/proxy for a modem
>connection to my ISP (via ip masqarading (sp?)) and in a not so
>distant future i'll be getting (hopefully) a cable modem connection
>with rogers@home.

I wonder what ports a cable modem has? I suspect only 10BaseT.
On the other hand, they may well want you to use a certain NIC
with it.

>Having said that what is a good, cheap or mid priced NIC card that I
>could use with linux with this set up.  Should I go with 3com cards
>(just for the brand name?) or some generic cheapo one.

These days, boards with a 10BaseT connector tend to be about as
expensive as 100BaseTX boards.

If you have spare PCI slots in both boxes I would get 100TX boards.
Linksys advertise Linux compatibility on the box (although I've read
that they don't allow the IRQ to be shared with other cards). You
can get cheap kits with 100TX cards, cables and a 10BaseT hub for
around $80.

Alternatively, get ultracheap NE2000-type cards. I've seen them as
low as $10 with 10BaseT.
http://www2.shore.net/~dannyw

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Multipass C5000 and Redhat Linux 5.2
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 23:00:30 GMT

Hi. I have a multipass C5000 printer and attached to the parallel port IOMEGA
zip drive. I tried looking up every possible driver for my printer but so far
nothing. I unplugged the zip drive from the back of my computer and attached
the parallel port of the printer and tried to work it out but still no
response from the printer even when I try to get the port working. Does
anybody know how to get the Multipass C5000 printer working under Linux. I
had no trouble getting my win95 3c509b-tpo working so I assumed the same
should happen for the printer or maybe I'm wrong. Any suggestions?

From: Guenther Wieser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Converting Serial port ttyS0 to ttyS1
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 23:40:29 GMT

Maybe the adapter doesn´t coonect all pins. I have one on ym won from a
HP calculator, that only works with that thing. It´s just a null modem
adapter.

--
Günther Wieser
creative-it/Günther Wieser Software KEG

------------------------------

Subject: Re: 19 inch monitor recommendations sought
From: James Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 05 Jan 1999 11:29:40 -0500

James Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm in the market for a new monitor, and I've decided to go with a 19
> inch of some type.  My chief uses for my computer are coding, web
[...]
> Right now I'm looking mainly at:
> Iiyama VisionMaster 450
> Viewsonic G790
> Optiquest V95

Well, I placed an order today with CDW for the Iiyama VisionMaster 450
Pro.  After reading a bit more, plus listening to the suggestions made
here (as well as dejanews archives), this seems to be the best choice
out there for my price range and desired features.  The key features I
like about it are 1600x1200 at 80Hz, BNC connectors, and a flat screen
(Diamondtron).

I'll post another followup when it gets here and I've had time to
drool on it for a while *grin*

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to help me make my decision!
Wish me luck :)

Chip

--
James Turner                [EMAIL PROTECTED]         UIN: 1102038
                            http://www.vuse.vanderbilt.edu/~turnerjh/

------------------------------

From: "John Vine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IBM token-ring cards & eathernet cards
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 15:43:18 GMT

Does anyone know where I can find Linix drivers for the following cards

    IBM EtherJet 10BASE T ISA Adapter
    IBM Turbo 16/4 Token-Ring ISA

or
    SMC 8100  Token ring card

also

has any body ever got an IBM NC (mine is token-ring but any info would be
welcome) hosted by a Linux machine.

The whole Idea sounds fun but I have no idea how to do it.

Ta.

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Paulus)
Subject: Re: Create Bootable disk with LS-120 drive?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 16:28:48 GMT

I have a chicken/egg problem with this exact setup.  My LS-120 is
my secondary Master (hdc).  Otherwise, my system is totally SCSI
sda, sdb, sdc, with Linux being on sdb4, and swap on sdb3.
However, I have Win95 and Win98 installed on Disk 0, using Partition
Magic's boot manager to manage the dual boot.  So, I really would
just prefer booting into Linux via floppy.

So, here's my chicken egg.  I can't get Linux installed without creating
a boot floppy.  And it seems I can't create a boot floppy without
installing Linux.  So, is there anyway to create the boot floppy
from Dos, or Winblows 9x, or some other OS, using my LS120???

****   Please remove the NO.SPAM when replying   ****

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: External projector won't show X display
Date: 6 Jan 1999 00:15:07 GMT

Lower the res to 640 by 480, colors down to 256 and refresh rate down to
60hz. You should get it to run then. Once working try increaseing the res
and see how far it'll go.

Good Luck

read the manual

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: HCT program?
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 00:09:31 GMT

Hi, all

Do you know any HCT(Hardware Comparability Test) program?
Thank you. Happy new year!

From: "Alvaro A. Novo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP Deskjet 400 won't print ps - Help?!
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 11:08:35 -0600

I posted this message in comp.os.linux.misc, so if you read it there skip it.
Sorry for the double posting, but I am new to Linux... still learning the
trade.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SCSI controller AIC-6x60
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 23:42:27 GMT

Is this Soundblaster your sound card or just a SCSI adapter?  Never heard of a
SB SCSI controller, in my (limited) experience.  If it's a sound card you are
ok...I have a similar setup on my 486.  I think you might need a kernel with
SCSI support for that one.  If that's the case all you have to do is mount the
drive: "mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom" if /mnt/cdrom is your mount
point.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ZIP Drive mount
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 00:23:13 GMT

Jeff Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a beginner question.
> How do you mount an Internal ZIP drive?

if it is an Internal IDE use   mount -t vfat /dev/hdc4 /mnt
change the hdc to hdd or whatever drive it is.
an Internal SCSI is  mount -t vfat /dev/sdc4 /mnt

if these don't work, there is a ZIP HOW-TO.

- Bryan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but
am stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!
Date: 6 Jan 1999 00:24:08 GMT

Big words for a little boy. You have a big mouth kid, wish you'll never met me
in person. I wouldn't put up with that crap for very long.

Please get lost and never have kids, you'll do a great service to the gene
pool :>

------------------------------

From: Dan Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3c905b - Forcing speed?
Date: 5 Jan 1999 17:59:23 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

: It appears that the card is found and the proper module is loaded (3c59x)
: but it still won't work, also when I run ifconfig, it tells me that the
: encap is 10Mb which dead wrong, I used the 3Com utility to set
: the card to 100Mb only, but it still says 10Mb. since our network here is
: 100Mb it doesn't work.

: Does anyone know how to force the network speed? Or if anyone knows this
: problem in particular, what the h*ll do I do? I've even gone as far as to
: reinstall the whole shazam. And I have the latest of everything, I know, I
: spent hours on checking hehe :)

It sounds like you didn't read the documentation for the Vortex
driver.  I do recommend reading it.  Documentation is available at
there web site, as well as in the source code for the driver.

--
           Dan Nguyen            | There is only one happiness in
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         |   life, to love and be loved.

------------------------------

From: Alex Parfenov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dell Servers
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 19:56:11 -0500

I would like to get any feedback from people who have used Dell's
servers (especially dual pentium configurations) under Linux. I am in
the process of deciding if i should stick to Dell's configured and well
warranted hardware or should i build my own.

Alternatively if you know of reliable vendor of Linux-compatible servers
and parts, please let me know. Any comments and suggestion appreciated,

--
Alex Parfenov
http://pigseye.kennesaw.edu/~aparfeno