Linux-Hardware Digest #186, Volume #9            Fri, 15 Jan 99 23:13:32 EST

Contents:
  Re: SCSI: Unable to allocate DMA channel for Adaptec. (Aaron Bredon)
  Re: Windows only Printer with Linux ?? ("John McKown")
  Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have   (Steve Dubay)
  Modem trouble ("Habib Najm")
  Re: Advice Needed... video card.. etc (Ruffian)
  brother HL-720 printer (tsca)
  CineMaster (v.2.x) MPEG/DVD decoder card... (Joe Tham)
  Re: Advice Needed... video card.. etc (Ruffian)
  Re: Compaq Deskpro XL & NetFlex NIC ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Corel StrongArm boxes (Frank Sweetser)
  What hard drive? - Installing RedHat 5.1 (Stéphane Brunet)
  Re: epson stylus 640 printer? (Doug Braun)
  Re: Sound problem IN linux (Lordaerom)
  which scsi card to buy? (joey smith)
  Re: Which 3com modems work with Linux ? (Scallica)
  Re: Winmodem or no?? (Darin Johnson)
  Re: I can't mount my ATAPI CDROM ("John McKown")
  Re: modem fails under Linux... (Bill Unruh)
  Re: modem fails under Linux... ("ochre small")
  Help needed getting higher resolutions working with CL TNT & xfree86 3.3.3.1 (Davos)
  Re: 2.2 kernel: ttyS vs c (Erik de Castro Lopo)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aaron Bredon)
Subject: Re: SCSI: Unable to allocate DMA channel for Adaptec.
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:54:04 -0500

says...
> I have an Adaptec 154x, and have configured the kernel (x86 2.0.35)
> for this.  During boot I get this message in my syslog:
>
> Jan 14 08:02:22 machine kernel: Configuring Adaptec (SCSI-ID 7) at IO:330, IRQ 11,
>DMA priority 5

The Adaptec card is configured to use DMA 5.

> Jan 14 08:02:22 machine kernel: Unable to allocate DMA channel for Adaptec.
>
> /proc/dma says:
>  1: Sound Blaster8
>  4: cascade
>  5: Sound Blaster16

The Sound card is already using DMA 5.

> I am not sure where to proceed from here to have the kernel have a DMA
> channel for my SCSI card.  I couldn't find anything regarding this in
> SCSI-HOWTO or on Dejanews, so any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Either configure the Adaptec card or the sound card to use DMA 6.
IF the Adaptec is a 154xC (revision C), you can type CTRL-A while
the SCSI BIOS message is displayed to change the configuration.
If is is a rev A or B, you will have to change jumpers on the card.

------------------------------

From: "John McKown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows only Printer with Linux ??
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 19:04:35 -0600

Get PPA from http://www.rpi.edu/~normat/technical/ppa/

I have it, but I'm getting a segment fault trying to use it. Since it comes
with source, I plan to see if I can "fix" it before bothering the author. I
absolutely LOVE Open Source Software!

------------------------------

From: Steve Dubay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 01:09:25 GMT

Dude are you on some sort of medication.  If so, can I get some..  I would
love to be that amped up all the time.

Don't blow a blood vessel.

------------------------------

From: "Habib Najm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem trouble
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:10:37 -0800

I have a Diamond Supra 56K V.90 PCI voice/fax modem on a new 300MHz Intel
PC, with the SE440BX motherboard (sound on board). I run the system under
either Win98 or linux RH5.2. On the windows side I can access the modem with
no problems. It is on COM2, port 0x02f8-0x02ff.

On the linux side, it does not look like the OS sees the modem at all. Here
are the symptoms.

1. cat /proc/interrupts gives nothing on IRQ 3 or 4, and no serial IRQ is
evident.
2. mincom tries to dial a number on the modem, but  of course nothing
happens, the phone line is free.
3. I tried, using setserial, to assign IRQ 3 to cua1 (or ttyS1) but it did
not help matters
4. also tried to connect to the modem in linuxconf to no avail.
5. setserial -a /dev/ttyS1 gave an unknown uart. I was able to set it
manually to 16550, did not help.

After looking at the HOWTO, it looks like part of the problem may be the IRQ
seting windows is using for the modem.
When I check on windows, I find the modem on IRQ11, with automatic setting
checked. Also looks like other things are on IRQ11. The HOWTO suggests that
I should change this so that the modem has a fixed unique IRQ, 3 or 4.

Am I correct in this conclusion? If so, any clues on how to do this safely
on the windows side and keep things running?
If this is not the problem, any clues or diagnostic recommendations are
welcome.

Thanks.
H.Najm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ruffian)
Subject: Re: Advice Needed... video card.. etc
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 01:27:00 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:12:21 +0000, Gord Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hello everyone.
>
>I'm in the process of building a new machine and would like a little
>advice on some of the toys I can toss into the thing.
>
>I have an ASUS P2B motherboard with 4 PCI and 3 ISA slots in addition to
>the AGP.
>
>Video Card.
>
>I have been looking for a Matrox Millennium G200 AGP and SGRAM.
>No one in this neck of the woods seems to carry or can get one.
>
>Are there any other reccomendations as a suitable replacement to this IF
>I can't lay my hands on one. Something with similar performance and
>price.
>
>3D Accelerators
>
>Considering a Creative Labs Voodoo2 . Yes/NO
>After all... I have to play once in a while.

I have a G200 on a 20" monitor and am very happy with it. If you get
an external modem (USR Courier V everything) you'll have an extra
PCI slot.....*g*   you can do 2 voodoo2's SLI ... you might play more
then

see you
Jan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (tsca)
Subject: brother HL-720 printer
Date: 12 Jan 1999 17:07:41 GMT

 Hi,

 I have got brother HL-720 for Windows printer.

 I read somewhere that there is a version of ghostscript that will
 make this printer usuable under Linux. Has anybody made it work?
 Any clue of which version of ghostscript I should look for?

 Currently I have ghostscript-5.10-1, but that does not list my
 printer in devices.txt :(

--
 tsca
 Tomasz Sienicki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Joe Tham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CineMaster (v.2.x) MPEG/DVD decoder card...
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 01:34:37 GMT

I have one of these puppies in my machine which I'd like to be able to
use (ie. I WANT TO WRITE A DRIVER IF POSSIBLE).  It's not one of the VGA
pass thru cards like the Creative DXR2 but rather looks like the
computer feeds MPEG2 stream and it sends back decompressed data back to
the computer/video card for display and sound directly out to sound
card...

Okay...  I don't care much about DVD movies with all their proprietary
stuff at this time but would like to use it for rapid MPEG I/II decoding
for my own movies and maybe the occassional VideoCD.

Questions -
Assuming Quadrant gives me some info so I can do something with the
card:
1. Are there drivers in this class in existence which I can use as a
foundation to build upon?
2. Are there "standards" or interface guidelines which can be followed
to build such a beast - and hopefully future programs can take advantage
of?
3. Anyone else working on something similar!?

Regards,
Joe Tham

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ruffian)
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 01:32:51 GMT

wrote:

>Hello everyone.
>
>I'm in the process of building a new machine and would like a little
>advice on some of the toys I can toss into the thing.
>
>I have an ASUS P2B motherboard with 4 PCI and 3 ISA slots in addition to
>the AGP.
>
>Video Card.

Addendum:

*g*  I know that ASUS will do 768MB RAM....dump the pci modem,
get the G200, 2 voodoo2's and rock n roll

see you
Jan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Compaq Deskpro XL & NetFlex NIC
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 02:40:25 GMT

AS of Kernel 2.0.34 and 2.1.134 (So you are fine with Redhat 5.1 and 5.2) you
don't need movepci to use PCI on the Compaq XL.  I Use Linux on a Compaq 560
XL and the iintegrated NIC was using the driver  pcnet32

Martin

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corel StrongArm boxes
Date: 15 Jan 1999 21:25:14 -0500

"Keith G. Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > probably not.  luckily they're working with redhat to make the netwinders a
> > supported platform, so that should guarantee at least 99% of redhat
> > availible - a prett respectable start.  they've also stated they're
> > commited to porting their entire product line over to the netwinder via
> > extensive contributions to wine.
> wine as in WINE?  I thought that was Windows emulation.

corect.  corel already has a product line developed for windows.  so, they
get wine sufficiently advanced that it runs all of their products stably,
and they can start selling their product line to x86 linux users.  beyond
that, they recompile their line for the strongarm cpu, and they can bundle
their entire line on the netwinders.  pretty nifty, eh? =)

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.0pre5ac1 i586 | at public servers

------------------------------

From: Stéphane Brunet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What hard drive? - Installing RedHat 5.1
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 21:35:03 -0500

How does one force LOADLIN to see a 345Meg hard drive
on a 386 (it's in the first IDE channel) ?
Is it "hda=ide0" or "hda=cyl,head,sectors" ???

Brief Details:
==============

Installing RedHat 5.1 (Manhattan)
My CD-Rom is mapped to G:, I do the following in a batch file:
---
g:
cd \dosutils
loadlin autoboot\vmlinuz -v initrd=..\misc\src\trees\initrd.img hda=ide0
hdb=cdrom
---
It sees the CDROM *only* when I use "hdb=cdrom", and doesn't
see the drive (or rather "there are no devices on which to
perform the install... you must have forgotten to configure
some SCSI devices" - I have no scuzz (*snif*)

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks in advance ;-}

+-------------------------------------+
| Stéphane Brunet     ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) |
| B.Eng. Computer       (450)476-4392 |
| Software Systems Developper         |
| Dept. 49, CF-18 Systems Engineering |
| CAE Electronics Ltd, Montreal, CAN  |
+-------------------------------------+

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doug Braun)
Subject: Re: epson stylus 640 printer?
Date: 15 Jan 1999 01:52:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Andy Fraser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I have gotten my new epson 640 to work.  I use the uniprint driver
> with Aladdin Ghostscript 5.50 and the stc600pl.upp option suggested
> for the epson 600.

I use the same setup. Grayscale images, however, print much too dark,
even when using the image quality paper. Any help to correct this
(e.g. which a relative newbie can do) would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

------------------------------

From: Lordaerom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound problem IN linux
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 02:02:06 GMT

the subject should have read Sound problem IN linux. sorry for any
confusion =]

From: joey smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: which scsi card to buy?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:03:21 -0500

I currently have a HP sure store 6020 external that uses a para-to-scsi
interface, a umax 600s scsi scanner, a parallel zip drive (or a scsi zip
if I swap with my other computer), and a epson stylus 600 color ink jet
printer.  I am in the market for a scsi card that will allow me to use
both a 50 pin (high density), and 25 pin devices in redhat 5.2.  Any
suggestions, configurations, recomended changes, or experiences would be
greatly appreciated.
joeysmith

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scallica)
Subject: Re: Which 3com modems work with Linux ?
Date: 15 Jan 1999 01:59:46 GMT

>Which 3com modems work with Linux or are there better modems for linux ?

3COM Etherlink III 3c509b....very compatible with Linux...an excellent card

------------------------------

From: Darin Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.modems,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Winmodem or no??
Date: 14 Jan 1999 17:55:23 -0800

d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox) writes:

> > I want to be able to SEE all the connection lights, not just rely on
> > some shoddy software representation of them.
>
> I don't want to see anything, I just want it to work.

Next one I get I'd prefer external.  Too often my internal one didn't
seem to work, and I could never tell if the connection has hung up or
if the other side wasn't responding.  Visible lights are much more
useful than merely guessing what might be wrong.  (and yes, this was
under Windows)

The other day my brother was trying to set up some modem software, and
it wasn't configured right, so the modem picked up the phone and
blasted out a loud busy signal, then the software broke, leaving the
modem buzzing loudly.  But being an internal modem, there was no way
to quickly reset it (it did time out eventually).

--
Darin Johnson
    Laziness is the father of invention

------------------------------

From: "John McKown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I can't mount my ATAPI CDROM
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:58:00 -0600

Try double checking the jumper. Since you have the CD as master, I assume
there is no slave drive. On some CDs, this means you must have NO JUMPER on
the select. Normally the select jumper is for "Master" or "Slave". But I've
seen some where "Master" really means "Master with another device as a
slave". And no jumper at all means "Master with no slave." If you jumper
this type of drive as "Master", and there is no slave, it doesn't work
write.

Hope this helps,
John

Oh, one thing: Does the CD work with "that other system"? If so, then it
should work with Linux. BTW - What brand is it? If it works on "that other
system", check out the device manager to see what it is reporting itself
as - that will help the true gurus to help you more.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.protocols.ppp
Subject: Re: modem fails under Linux...
Date: 16 Jan 1999 03:33:28 GMT

In <nhBn2.166$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "ochre small" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

>Here's a puzzler...
>getting bizzare error messages from PPP....

This is not an error from pppd but from the chat script. It sends the
command ATZ to the modem, and waits for a return OK. It never gets it.

Instead of ATZ try sending ATE1 and see if you get any return from the
modem. (namely an OK). I looks to me like you either have the wrong port
for your modem, have the wrong rate, or have a "winmodem" ( which is a
modem like your tinkertoy car is a real car)

>Jan 14 21:41:17 reddwarf chat[1583]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
>Jan 14 21:41:17 reddwarf chat[1583]: abort on (Invalid Login)

>Jan 14 21:41:17 reddwarf chat[1583]: abort on (Login incorrect)

>Jan 14 21:41:17 reddwarf chat[1583]: send (ATZ^M)

>Jan 14 21:41:17 reddwarf chat[1583]: expect (OK)

Here it says it is waiting fo rthe modem to send OK
But nothing at all gets sent back-- chat reports on everything returned.
After 45 sec (the default timeout) chat gives up (that is the alarm)

>Jan 14 21:42:02 reddwarf chat[1583]: alarm

>Jan 14 21:42:02 reddwarf pppd[1581]: Connect script failed

chat sent an error message to pppd saying it had failed, pppd reports
that the "connect script" (which called chat) failed, as it did.

>Jan 14 21:42:02 reddwarf chat[1583]: Failed

The exit error from chat arrived at the syslog after that from pppd., so
it got reported second, but it was actually chat which failed first.

>Jan 14 21:42:04 reddwarf pppd[1581]: Exit.

>Jan 14 21:42:09 reddwarf kernel: PPP: ppp line discipline successfully
>unregistered

And here is report from the kernel getting rid of the ppp module, since
it is no longer needed.

------------------------------

From: "ochre small" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.protocols.ppp
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:05:37 +0930

What modem HOWTO?  I have been searching for one for ages?  Can anyone point
me to one please?
Dave
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Oo.et.oO wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I get the same alarm thingy when I tried to script PPP myself.  I can
>talk to my modem with minicom and connect and start PPP manually.
>anyway I would try reading the modem HOWTO first and get that to work.
>it looks like the PNP HOWTO will help you a lot too.  then read the PPP
>HOWTO and the ISP_HOOKUP-HOWTO these and others can all be found at the
>LDP:
>http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/
>
> good luck and have fun
>oh, if you are running redhat you can use netcfg as root to start PPP
>check out the netcfg howto on redhat's pages for that...
>
>ochre small wrote:
>>
>> Smeg... sorry, forgot to mention that my (Linux quambie) ISP uses PAP...
any

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davos)
Subject: Help needed getting higher resolutions working with CL TNT & xfree86 3.3.3.1
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 02:02:30 GMT

I think I have installed then xfree86 upgrade successfully as the TNT
is listed when I run any of the setup utilities. However when i run
xfree, the resolution is as low as possible, regardless of what
resolution modes I have configured prior to starting....Can someone
tell me what steps to take with what setup utility.

thanks

------------------------------

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.2 kernel: ttyS vs c
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:32:55 +1100

Dale Pontius wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder) writes:
> > [...]
> > Nobody "changed" them. Please read the relevant docs and the Serial-HOWTO.
> > cua* devices are obsolete. That's pretty much all there is to say.
> >
> So I'm running vanilla RH 5.2, which was upgraded from RH 5.1,
> which was upgraded from RH 5.0, which was a reinstall from my
> RH 4.X days.
>
> I've had the /dev/modem -> /dev/cua1 symlink there 'forever'.
>
> I'd like to fiddle with 2.2, can I just change the symlink to
> /dev/modem -> /dev/ttyS1 and continue running the 2.0.x kernels
> as well?

Yes, that works fine.

Erik
     Erik de Castro Lopo     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
UNIX *is* user-friendly, just picky about who it
chooses for friends!