Linux-Hardware Digest #192, Volume #9            Sat, 16 Jan 99 21:13:45 EST

Contents:
  Re: Which CPU to upgrade to? (Rod Roark)
  Re: Tearing hair out - 486/aha1542 intstall errors, slack96 (Norman Elliott)
  Re: emachine 300c Cyrix - Any Red Hat 5.2 Success? ("Dirk Leas")
  Re: Thinking about winmodems (David Fox)
  LILO trashes Toshiba portable IDE drive (Dominick Samperi)
  what cd-r drives are supported by linux (xcdroast) ? (dan)
  Trouble with /dev/lp0 (Dennis Kolesnik)
  Re: Need suggestion on Minimum platform to run Linux (Blaine Lupulack)
  A lot of newbie questions ("Anders Lundberg")
  AudioPCI question (Gary I Kahn)
  Re: DUAL-PPGA Celeron? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: need help: add ide HDD to scsi system --> lilo fail (Klaus G Wagner)
  Re: Travan NS20 tape drives? (A E Lawrence)
  Re: 3C509 Combo configuration problem. ("Mark Vandersteen")
  Re: Which CPU to upgrade to? ("Mark Vandersteen")
  Re: Good motherboard for Linux ("gm")
  Asus V3400TNT ("Mark Vandersteen")
  Re: Modem trouble (Mircea)
  no "probe" utility, so can't tell if pcmcia is loading ("Penny Freund")
  Re: epson stylus 640 printer? (Gary Momarison)
  Re: How about th e intel 740 AGP with 8 Meg 100Mhz ram???? ("BlackHat")

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which CPU to upgrade to?
Date: 16 Jan 1999 22:45:44 GMT

Ruffian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 13 Jan 1999 13:43:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Taylor)
>wrote:
>Get an ASUS P2B with a PII350. The board will hold up to 768MB RAM.
>4 PCI slots, 1 AGP slot, 2 ISA's (I think, I don't pay too much
>attention to the ISAs).  PII350's are getting pretty cheap.

The Celeron 400 is even cheaper, and easily outperforms a P-II/350.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                         Starting at $499

From: Norman Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tearing hair out - 486/aha1542 intstall errors, slack96
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:43:10 +0000

Hi Iain,
I am not a SCSI or Linux expert but i have worked with Novell and find
it is more difficult than Windows to get working correctly.

Linux, like Novell is much more active at a low level with the hardware
so it doesn't take kindly to problems.
I can see you know a fair bit about SCSI from your post but these
problems are often very hard to pin down.
below is a cut from another reply I sent to someone in this newsgroup,
perhaps it will help you
I certainly hope so.

 you need to narrow down the problem by removing some of the devices to
start with.
 It doesn't need a physical removal of the Discs or CD's just disconnect
 their data leads.

 Can I suggest you try the following

 When the PC boots watch the screen. You should see the 1542 bios kick
in
 and then it should find the devices hanging off it.
 Something about LUN 0 ID ....

 If it doesn't show you what you know you have got then these are some
of the faults which
 could cause it.

 1/ Conflicting SCSI ID's ie two or more with the same ID.

 2/ Total SCSI length to much. I had this when I tried internal and
external devices as you have. I found that anything
    over 0.75 metres would not work properly. This was with a 1542 SCSI
Card.

 3/ Faulty cable

 4/ Faulty terminator

 5/ Faulty device (s)  Faulty devices can lie about their SCSI ID
 whatever the jumpers say they are

 ID 7 MUST BE the SCSI Card ( usually the default )
 ID 0 has to be your Boot Hard Disc unless you have had a CD burned to
 act as a boot device.

 The rest can be ID 1 to 6 .

 Also when the PC boots and the SCSI ROm kicks in you should be able to
 do CTRL A to get into a config program for the SCSI Card. This can do a
few tests  >>>>> some of which will overwrite data   <<<<<<<<<<<

End of cut
==========
If you start with just your SCSI Card and one SCSI Hard Disc and
shortish SCSI cable you can work up from there.
HTH
norm

======================================================================================================

------------------------------

From: "Dirk Leas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: emachine 300c Cyrix - Any Red Hat 5.2 Success?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 21:46:50 GMT

Good eye ... in my case, it's on a network and I'll never need the modem.
The other minor gotcha is it only comes with a couple of PCI slots (one for
the second NIC for masq'ing -- that only leaves 1 more).  Still, for the
price if it works reasonably well...

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Subject: Re: Thinking about winmodems
Date: 16 Jan 1999 16:20:37 -0800

"David Chen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> My LT Win Modem has decent performance under windoze.
> Yes, it is a piece of junk under Linux. But I can get 49kbps V.90
> connection under win98 and average speed to download a
> large compressed files is about 5.6kb/s.

Does the performance hold up if you're running other compute intensive
jobs at the same time?
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: Dominick Samperi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: LILO trashes Toshiba portable IDE drive
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:58:49 -0500

I recently installed Linux and Windows NT 4.0 on a Toshiba 4025CDT and
they both seemed to run, provided I boot Linux from a floppy. Then I
ran the Slackware 3.1 CDROM install (the only CDROM I had) and made the
mistake of asking the setup program to place LILO in the master boot
record. After this no OS would boot, and the drive was inaccessible,
even by fdisk. The drive was effectively destroyed.

More precisely, I downloaded the boot and root floppies for Slackware
and used them to partition the disk, then I used the 3.1 CDROM to
install
Linux and insert LILO in the MBR. I boot linux (from the floppy)
with the parameters hda=13424,15,63 (following CHS info. from Toshiba
tech. support).

By the way Toshiba tech. support says they "don't support dual boot
configurations," even for Windows98 and WindowsNT.

Could Toshiba be placing some proprietary code in the MBR that
fdisk /mbr cannot replace? Is the code in MBR standard, or is writing
to this area dangerous in the sense that it could lead to
unrecoverable crashes like mine?

Should Linux users be warned about the dangers involved in
selecting the MBR LILO option?

I should remark that I am using LILO installed in the MBR on my desktop
computer with no problems.

Thanks for any comments,
Dominick

--
Dominick Samperi
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: what cd-r drives are supported by linux (xcdroast) ?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:54:55 -0600

does anyone know what cd-r drives are supported by the xcdroast program
?

i installed the rpm file, but get the following error:

xcdroast: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/libtcl8.0.so: undefined symbol: stat

any ideas ?
thanks,
dan

------------------------------

From: Dennis Kolesnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trouble with /dev/lp0
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 01:51:48 +0200

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hello ANYONE!!!
<pre>--&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Dennis Kolesnik&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |
HomePhone#+380-622-352-934|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 /*
<A
HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<A HREF="http://www.loor.da.ru">http://www.loor.da.ru</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; \_&nbsp; _ |*&nbsp;&nbsp; \&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; _/
ICQ#:27742963&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| ______> |/ / *&nbsp;&nbsp; |___| &lt;____
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 | \ *&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
LooR&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 --------
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 |&nbsp;&nbsp; \______----------------------------/</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

------------------------------

From: Blaine Lupulack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need suggestion on Minimum platform to run Linux
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:05:56 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have no budget allocated.
> I want to prove Linux is a valid option, and I will have to use
> surplus equipment to do it.
> I will want to install perl, and the Apache server as well.
> Any suggestions on CPU - Memory - Disk whatever ?

Well, that depends on what you intend to do with it...

but realistically, the minimum I'd use is a 486-33 with 16MB RAM and 500MB
disk.

For MINIMUM, you're looking at a 386-16 with 4MB ram and 40-50MB disk
(don't even bother
thinking about using a GUI or any software developement )

--
Blaine Lupulack
BC, Canada

------------------------------

From: "Anders Lundberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: A lot of newbie questions
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 00:45:50 GMT

Hi all!

I have a question (surprise!!!) Iwould like to have answered.

My tube consists of the following;
C:\  1,6Gb Win95
D:\ 6.4 Gb WinNT 4. This disk is partitioned in two parts.
The first is 4.0 Gb For WinNT 4 (D:\)
Second is  sort of trash or storage disk (E:\) 2.6 Gb

Soyo SY-5EHM super socket 7 board with 128 Mb ram
AMD K6 II 300 processor.
Diamond Fire 1000 Gl Pro 8 Mb graphics card.

What I would like to know is if there are any known hardware problems with
this setup?

Since I am a total newbie in the Linux world I would really appreciate any
help I could get

Next question; when I run the install of RH 5.2 I'm not quite sure how to
designate the hard disks. Do I have to have to tell Linux about cyls, heads
and so on for all three of them or does Linux treat the split disk as one
disk.

I would like to place Linux on the E:\ disk (after formatting and new
partitioning of course) and keep my dual boot for Win95 and NT.

That was a lot, I know but I need to know. Getting impatient for installing
Linux and hopefully in the future kickin' Gates' ass goodbye out of my
computer for good .

Thanfully

Anders.L

------------------------------

From: Gary I Kahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AudioPCI question
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 19:55:32 -0500

I've got an es1370 card.  When I compile support into the
(engineering) kernel, I get support for .wav files, but not for
.mid or RealAudio.  What am I doing wrong?   When using "make
xconfig", I select support for sound and for es1370 cards, but
nothing else on that page.

When I use the ALSA driver instead, the .mid file and RealAudio
support seems to be tied to the "optional" snd-pcm1-oss module.
Without that module installed, the ALSA driver gives me the same
results as the kernel's driver.

Thanks.

Gary Kahn

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: DUAL-PPGA Celeron?
Date: 17 Jan 1999 00:21:45 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I have done some additional researches and found that there
are already three PPGA to Slot 1 Adaptors:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/product.html (GA-6R7)
http://server2.abit.com.tw/news/enews.html (Slotket)
http://www.soltek.com.tw/product/sl02a.htm (SL-02A)

But now word, if it is possible to run them in dual-mode.

Dual-mode of PPGA-Celerons on Slot 1 Adaptors is also _not_ mentioned
on the dual celeron homepage

http://www.cpu-central.com/dualceleron/index-dc.html

As this adaptor should be less than $30, it would be really an
interessted thing (ok, not for a _real_ server, but for compiling
kernels at home :-)

| Bernhard Kuhn                (kuhn[at]lpr.ei.tum.de)  O|||OO||OO| |
| Laboratory for Process Control and Real-Time Systems  O|||O|O|O|O |
| Technische Universität München  Tel.+49-89-289-23732  O|||OO||OO| |
| 80290 München, Germany          Room 3944 Fax -23555  OOO|O|||O|O |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Klaus G Wagner)
Subject: Re: need help: add ide HDD to scsi system --> lilo fail
Date: 14 Jan 1999 23:57:58 +0100

  (german)        http://www.suse.de/Support/sdb/ke_eide-scsi.html
  (english)       http://www.suse.de/Support/sdb_e/ke_eide-scsi.html

>--
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]      Berlin

Best regards,
                     Klaus.
--
  Klaus Wagner       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  PGP (1024/D7A16B1D) = 42 5B CD ED EC E7 8F 50 C0 B0 14 1E 3B 9F DC 08

------------------------------

From: A E Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: Travan NS20 tape drives?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:41:38 +0000

Stephan Loescher wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Has anyone a Travan NS20 tape drive?
> Any experiences?
> Which one should I buy?
> Tandberg: http://www.tandberg.com/products/ns20_pro.html
> Tecmar:   http://www.tecmar.com/product/travan/travan20/travan20.html
> Aiwa:     http://www.aiwa.com/csd/product/ns20.htm
> Seagate:  http://www.seagate.com/tape/horntrav.shtml
>           http://www.seagate.com/tape/tapetrav.shtml

I have an Aiwa TD20001 NS20 drive which I run under Linux. Cost about
$300. I had one write failure but I erased that tape and was then able
to reuse it successfully. The hardware and firmware seem to be excellent
and good value for money.
And the drive is very fast: I have mislaid the figure I measured, but
IIRC it was around 1.38 MB/s real data transfer rate. You may find one
of my previous messages in the archives.

However Aiwa provide almost no documentation, and their Website
includes virtually nothing. There is no information about cleaning the
heads, and repeated requests to Aiwa to provide such information either
directly or by posting a section on their w^3 site produces a deafening
silence. That said, I did get a fax of an extract from an Aiwa
maintenance manual from a UK support company which says that no head
cleaning is required at all under normal circumstances. But that as a
last resort, the heads can be cleaned very carefully with isopropyl
alcohol using a sponge-tipped swab: a specific procedure is given.
Imation seem to think that their "NS Dry cleaning tape" can be used, but
there is no mention of that in the Aiwa manual, and Aiwa don't respond
to requests for clarification.

To cap it all, the usual minature jumpers are required to set
the scsi address and termination and such. But Aiwa do *not*
ship a set of jumpers: if the default factory setting isn't
ok, you have the pain and trouble and expense of tracking down the extra
jumpers. I know that many of us who have been around computers for a
long time tend to keep a little horde somewhere of such things precisely
because in the dark ages manufacturers used to ship kit in this
thoughless way. But Aiwa are still making their customers angry at a
cost to them of maybe 1cent
per drive.

So my experience is that the drive and engineering are excellent and
very good value for money. But until Aiwa get their act together and
ship a useable product with a minimum of information, I can't really
recommend them. Such a pity.

I won't repeat the information that others have already provided
about the read/verify/rewrite during record and hardware compression. My
experience is that the hardware compression is not very effective, but I
am mainly writing binary files or precompressed files, so that is not
surprising. It is worth doing some web searches on DAT drive technology:
much of what you find there applies to the NS technology. Except that NS
is linear rather than helican scan. And, it seems, cleaning procedures.

Last of all, I have not used my drive heavily. I cannot comment on
reliability.

Hope this helps.
--
Dr A E Lawrence (from home)

------------------------------

From: "Mark Vandersteen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3C509 Combo configuration problem.
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 12:06:45 +1030

You will need to use the setup program that comes with the card to set the
card to use T Base-T instead of TBase10 socket and, Also while in there
disable plug'n'play as that can cause card detection problems

Mark Vandersteen [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Powered by Linux !  Obsessed with women !
The thoughts here are not necessariy mine !

------------------------------

From: "Mark Vandersteen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 12:10:58 +1030

Rod Roark wrote in message <77r4qo$5o1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Ruffian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On 13 Jan 1999 13:43:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Taylor)
>>wrote:
>>Get an ASUS P2B with a PII350. The board will hold up to 768MB RAM.
>>4 PCI slots, 1 AGP slot, 2 ISA's (I think, I don't pay too much
>>attention to the ISAs).  PII350's are getting pretty cheap.
>
>The Celeron 400 is even cheaper, and easily outperforms a P-II/350.
>
>-- Rod

Just out of curiosity isn't the new celeron 366/400's not able to do the
100Mhz (FSB) ??? There hard wired for 66Mhz and cant be changed anymore ??

From: "gm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]  REMOVE NOSPAM to reply>
Subject: Re: Good motherboard for Linux
Date: 16 Jan 1999 19:42:19 -0600

The ASUS P5A would be a match.  AMD posts motherboards
that have passed its tests.  Check it at
www.amd.com
and follow the service and support links to motherboards.
Asus has a web site with their specs also at
http://www.asus.com
Regards,
gm

italio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> I'm building my own system and have a K6-2 400mhz processor.  I was
> wondering if anyone knows a good motherboard that has 5 PCI, 2
ISA,1 AGP,

------------------------------

From: "Mark Vandersteen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Asus V3400TNT
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 12:16:34 +1030

Anyone tried these cards with linux, I'm more interested in one of these as
there are quicker (and cheaper here in Aust.) than the V550 will the same
XSVGA xserver work ??

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem trouble
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 20:52:13 -0500

Quote from your first post:
"When I check on windows, I find the modem on IRQ11, with automatic
setting checked. Also looks like other things are on IRQ11"

That's a hallmark for winmodems. Your vendor either doesn't know his
business, or is plainly lying.

MST

------------------------------

From: "Penny Freund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: no "probe" utility, so can't tell if pcmcia is loading
Date: 17 Jan 1999 01:59:22 GMT

I cant seem to load the pcmcia module.  The YaST tool doesn't do it.  I
tried to insmod (doesn't report an error) but modprobe doesn't display the
devices.  Should I load all the modules in the package?  How do I ensure
that my TexasInstrum PCI1131 slots are running (I DON'T have a utility
called "probe" that was suggested to me)??  Thanks!

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: epson stylus 640 printer?
Date: 15 Jan 1999 16:21:15 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doug Braun) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       Andy Fraser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I have gotten my new epson 640 to work.  I use the uniprint driver
> > with Aladdin Ghostscript 5.50 and the stc600pl.upp option suggested
> > for the epson 600.
> >

> I use the same setup. Grayscale images, however, print much too dark,
> even when using the image quality paper. Any help to correct this
> (e.g. which a relative newbie can do) would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Doug

Just a guess, but try playing with the numbers in this line
of stc600pl.upp:

-dupBlackTransfer="{   0.0000 0.0553 0.1158 0.1998 0.4321 1.0000 }"

I notice the numbers in stc600p.upp are different.
And try using that file instead.

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

From: "BlackHat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How about th e intel 740 AGP with 8 Meg 100Mhz ram????
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 21:10:39 -0500

Where can I find drivers for the Intel 740 cards can't get mine going RedHat
5.1

news:77hsmn$g48$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...