Linux-Hardware Digest #203, Volume #9            Sun, 17 Jan 99 19:13:33 EST

Contents:
  Re: Linux with Non Intel (Bo Vandenberg)
  Diamond Viper compatibility? (James Huff)
  Re: looking for inkjet (Tom Taylor)
  Re: Ethernet card recommendation--urgent (jedi)
  Re: Canon BJC-4300 doesn't work (Peter Bradley)
  Re: More on 12.7 Gb HD install (was Problem with Quantum Fireball EX 12.7Gb and
RedHat5.2) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: HP 710 series printers (Christoffers)
  Re: Adaptec ARO-1130CA RAID option support (Gary Momarison)
  Re: My partition choice (Ilya)
  Re: My partition choice (Ilya)
  multifunction peripherals for Linux? (Douglas N Arnold)
  Re: Linux and CreativesLab Soundblaster live (Yves Dorfsman)
  Re: My partition choice (Carl Fink)
  Re: modem fails under Linux... ("ochre small")
  Re: Which CPU to upgrade to? (Ruffian)
  Re: modem/pppd config-bit 7 set to 0? (Jeff)
  Re: which distribution package do you recommend? (Dan Nguyen)
  Re: NetFlex/3p NC (=?iso-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen?= Averbeck)
  Re: Which CPU to upgrade to? (Ruffian)

From: Bo Vandenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Linux with Non Intel
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 12:20:05 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> and lets not forget the lowly cyrix!!

I LOVE the idea behind the lowly cyrix. Lets let people get their job done
cheaply. Give me enough computer for my problems, these days the computers
change far more often then my problems. :)

CHEAP  NEW computers mean lower stress environments concentrating on the task
at hand.

Bo, looking for work.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Huff)
Subject: Diamond Viper compatibility?
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 13:03:33 -0800

Does anyone know if there is support for the Diamond Viper V550. I checked
Rehat's hardware list and it is currently unsupported. I would be _very_
interested to know if someone has a driver or knows where to find one for
the Viper. I just bought a new system and I ***have*** to run Linux to any
work done. :)

Thanks.
James H.

------------------------------

From: Tom Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.printers
Subject: Re: looking for inkjet
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 13:20:25 -0800

The Canon BJC-600 is supported, at least under RedHat 5.1.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.networking,redhat.networking.general,iu.linux
Subject: Re: Ethernet card recommendation--urgent
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 14:03:35 -0800

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 17:55:12 -0330, Neil Zanella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I reccomend an EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card by Linksys.
>
>It uses the tulip.c driver that comes with kernel 2.0.36 .
>
>You can also download the driver from their website.
>
>The card works very well on my system.

        Check the back of the box. Linux will be listed there
        if it is a compatible card...

                ...that's the major reason I'm partial to LinkSys.

>Neil
>
>On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Jan Stifter wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Shane Bearham wrote:
>> >
>> > "Larry Herzog Jr." wrote:
>> >
>> > Nothing like a good old WD8013 series card....never fails me
>> > even performs admirably, it's programable or jumpered &
>> > around here I can pick them up for $3-$5 each at swap meets
>> >
>> > Shane ()
>>
>> I can recommend the Fast EtherRx PCI 10/100TX card of Kingston.
>> just turn on the DEC-Tulip option in the kernel and it works perfect...
>>

>> jan

>> | Jan Stifter                    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           |
>> |                                web:   www.htl-bw.ch/~ia95stif     |
>> | meet me: telnet://freechess.org:5000  (nick: nunc)                |

                Herding Humans ~ Herding Cats

Neither will do a thing unless they really want to, or         |||
is coerced to the point where it will scratch your eyes out   / | \
as soon as your grip slips.

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: Peter Bradley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Canon BJC-4300 doesn't work
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 18:13:39 +0000

Guus Zijlstra wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My Canon BJC-4300 doesn't work properly. It prints text, but no
> graphics.
>
> I know there were postings in this groups about the 4300 a few days ago,
> but my provider seems to throw out all messages after 2 (two) days!
> So all I have are the headers... Stupid, huh?
>
> This is my printcap:
>
> #
> lp|bubble|canon|Canon BJC-4300:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/var/spool/lpd/canon:\
>         :sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
>         :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
> #
>
> Thanks,
> Guus.

Hi Guus,

A lot depends on your distribution, but basically you need to set up a
filter which calls GhostScript (which you must have installed of course) to
translate the file you want to print from PostScript to something the
printer understands.

Have a look at the Linux Printing HOW-TO, and write back if you need more
help.  You can write to me direct at [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you like.

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: More on 12.7 Gb HD install (was Problem with Quantum Fireball EX 12.7Gb
and RedHat5.2)
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 16:37:32 GMT

I'm having the EXACT same problems with a 10GB Maxtor hd. Read on, although
there's not much I can add.

> My first attempt was to try to set the bios for the right geometry of
> the disk; in the vendor documentation the disk is described as 24704
> Cyl, 16Hd, 63Sec; but when I went in the bios setup what I saw was 16383
> Cyl (with same heads and sectors, for a total of 8064Mb). I run the
> autoconfiguration option, and again this is what I get, this gave also
> PIO Mode 4, Block ON, 32bit ON and LBA ON (that seems correct).

Ditto.

> So I went in to primary slave configuration and I put as user selection
> the right number of 24704 Cyl (leaving the rest untouched).
> The strange was that in any case (both with 16383 or 24704 Cyl) the
> summary screen (that one that appears just above the lilo prompt) tells
> me that I have a 12159Mb disk! (does anyone know why this behaviour?)

It just reads some label somewhere. Not the real thing.
fdisk or df -k will tell you the truth.

> This operation had no effect in the installation procedure, the linux
> boot always detected a geometry of CHS=1024/128/63 no matter about was
> put inside the bios settings. There was no way to have more than 8Gb.

Correct. Must go to expert mode in fdisk and set the C/H/S from the vendor.

> So next step was to boot giving the geeomtry with the command:
> linux hda=24704,16,63
> In this case I get this geometry in the boot messages.
>
> The next problem that I had was that disk druid (in the RedHat
> installation) was not capable to make partitions. It could see the
> geometry (at least it reported it correctly)  but when I tried to make a
> 2Gb partition for / it gave me an error (something like no space
> avalaible).

druid is less flexible than fdisk and apparently has problems. People
generally avoid it and use fdisk.

> So I used fdisk, that gave me this warnig when started:
>
> The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 24704.
> This is larger than 1024, and may cause problems with:
> 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
> 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
>    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Normal warning. I got that too.

> and I make 4 primary partition (is that wrong?, I have to use exteded
> partitions?), and set partition 3 as swap, obtaining this table (output
> of command p):

It's not wrong. You can, but you don't have to use extended partitions. In
general, you make an extended partition when you need more than 4 partitions
alltogether. The extended partition can hold as many (logical) partitions as
you want. But if you need less than 4 partitions, you're fine.

>    Device Boot    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1             1     4162  2097616+  83  Linux native
> /dev/hda2          4163    23667  9830520   83  Linux native
> /dev/hda3         23668    23926   130536   82  Linux swap
> /dev/hda4         23927    24704   392112   83  Linux native
>
> No error was given making these partition, but when I run command v
> (verify) on the new partition table I obatained:
>
> Command (m for help): v
> Warning: partition 1 overlaps partition 2.
> Warning: partition 2 overlaps partition 3.
> Warning: partition 2 overlaps partition 4.
> Warning: partition 3 overlaps partition 4.
> 115979 unallocated sectors
>
> And this is what I cannot understand (and that make me afraid that
> something is wrong) because the number are not overlapping (and where
> are the unallocated sectors?).

I noticed the same behaviour. While in regular mode, fdisk shows no overlaps,
yet if you verify (v) it gives you these warnings. HOWEVER, if you go in
expert mode, and print the partition table FROM EXPERT MODE, you see the
whole truth. Everything stops at cylinder 1023!!! Ain't that something?? So
even though we specify the correct number of C/H/S, fdisk (or parts of it)
still insists on 1023. Either we're missing something, or there's something
rotten.

> After this I went back to disk druid setting partition 1 as /, partition
> 2 as /home and partition 4 as /var, and then I installed RH5.2.
> Everything went fine, whitout any error message (I also ask to serach
> bad blocks during filesystem creation, and I had no error).
>
> Now (alwais starting the boot with linux hda=24704,16,63) I have a
> running system, with no error messages, and df give:
>
> Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
> /dev/hda1            2028739  423644  1500215     22%   /
> /dev/hda2            9472800    2484  8978790      0%   /home
> /dev/hda4             379583    8689   351289      2%   /var
>
> (the swap is on, also if not used becasue the 256Mb of RAM).
>
> But still running fdisk verify is giving the warning above, and I'm
> afraid that if I'll put things on /home to full the partition I'll go in
> bad troubles.
>
> So here the questions:
> 1) Is this procedure correct?
> 2) What are these overlaps? Are they dangerous?

Sure they are. Here I can give you some insight. I ignored all overlap
warnings and went on and installed. I transfered a 100MB backup I had
previously made, from another hard drive, and guess what? Programs couln't
load the shared libraries anymore, so they just would not run. That's all I
had time to notice, because I logged out and I tried to login again, but it
just didn't let me log in at all!!!!! I assume that what happened was that
partitions did overlap, and when I put the backup on the Linux hard drive, I
overwrote important system stuff. This makes sense, right? If partitions
overlap, you can and will overwrite files. This is what happens.

> 3) I have to use some extended partitions?

As I said above, you can, but you don't have to.

> 4) What was the problem with disk druid?
> 5) It is possible to get the right geometry directly form the bios?
>
> Other people suggested to me to use a geometry like 1550/128/63, I made
> an attempt but after the partitioning fdisk gave me a lot of warning
> about partitions not corresponding to cylinder limits, so I switched
> back to the other geometry, also because I was not sure of the
> equivalence between  1550/128/63 and 24704,16,63. So I have two more
> question:
>
> 7) Is this the right way to tell to linux the geomtry?
> 8) How to compute the equivalence between these two geometry?
>
> As last thing I have to say that also if the Large Disk HOWTO was good
> to understand the problem, it lacks (at least for me) of pratical
> indications; at least for the section 7 (The Linux IDE 8 GB limit); so
> the last question:
> 9) there are other place (faq, web pages, info) where to look for these
> problems?
>
> Thanks to people that answered me, and thanks for any further answer.
> Simone

Silviu

From: Christoffers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP 710 series printers
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 19:14:53 +0100

==============21FBD6D7EB64EE706CC2B4A7

Jeremy Probber wrote:

> Hi ,
>
>         Im curious if anyone has had any luck getting any Hewlett Packard 710
> series inkjet printers working under Linux. I have the HP 712C and have
> been unable to get it to even print an ASCI test page. Im using the
> printer configuration tool that comes with RedHat 5.2 (in the
> control-panel) which I have successfully used on my old machine with my
> now deceased laser printer, and it worked fine. Any help would be
> appreciated.

I ve got a possible solution for your problem:

look at http://www.rpi.edu/~normat/technical/ppa/
I didn't try it yet, but you can find some software tool there to translate
certain ghostscript output to PPA what appears to be the communication protocol
for at least the HP DJ 710C and 720C. Also the PPA is described there. On the
first look inside it appeared to be very simple, so you can easily develop an
own program that at least prints some ASCII charakters on the paper.  (If I will
have the time to write an own tool, I can send it to you)

Niels

==============21FBD6D7EB64EE706CC2B4A7

<HTML>
Jeremy Probber wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Hi ,
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Im curious if anyone has
had any luck getting any Hewlett Packard 710
<BR>series inkjet printers working under Linux. I have the HP 712C and
have
<BR>been unable to get it to even print an ASCI test page. Im using the
<BR>printer configuration tool that comes with RedHat 5.2 (in the
<BR>control-panel) which I have successfully used on my old machine with
my
<BR>now deceased laser printer, and it worked fine. Any help would be
<BR>appreciated.</BLOCKQUOTE>
I ve got a possible solution for your problem:
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>look at<A HREF="http://www.rpi.edu/~normat/technical/ppa/">
http://www.rpi.edu/~normat/technical/ppa/</A>
<BR>I didn't try it yet, but you can find some software tool there to translate
certain ghostscript output to PPA what appears to be the communication
protocol for at least the HP DJ 710C and 720C. Also the PPA is described
there. On the first look inside it appeared to be very simple, so you can
easily develop an own program that at least prints some ASCII charakters
on the paper.&nbsp; (If I will have the time to write an own tool, I can
send it to you)
<P>Niels</HTML>

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.systems
Subject: Re: Adaptec ARO-1130CA RAID option support
Date: 17 Jan 1999 10:20:46 -0800

Michael Keller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Are there any linux-drivers for the Adaptec ARO-1130CA RAID option (with
> AIC-7810 RAID co-processor) available?

Don't know, but you can find lots of RAID info from

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/raid.html

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: My partition choice
Date: 17 Jan 1999 23:08:12 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Carl Fink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 16 Jan 1999 23:59:17 GMT, Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>/swap    512  MB
> .
> .
> .
>>I have pretty much made up my mind about /swap.

> You don't mount your swap partition as /swap -- it's not ext2 and
> isn't mountable at all.  Also, unless they've changed it with kernel
> versions above 2.0.x, you can't make a single swap partition that big,
> it would have to be four or so separate swap partitions (which is easy
> to do).  For maximum speed, you should put multiple swap partitions on
> different physical disk drives (if you have more than one).

> Note also that according to the Partitions-HOWTO, swap larger than
> three times your physical RAM is unlikely to be used.  Note further
> that unless your machine is a heavily loaded server or you are doing
> some sort of fantastically RAM-intensive task (i.e. graphics
> processing on 100 MB bitmaps) you're unlikely to need that much swap.

> For an example, this 48 MB Linux box, running notorious RAM hog
> Netscape Navigator plus innd plus a proxy server plus various other
> stuff, has done NO swapping since I booted it.  I've never managed to
> use more than 12 MB of RAM since I got it set up.

> That's a single-user machine -- as I said, servers are different.

Thanks for clarifying - the machine will have 256MB of RAM eventually, and
128MB when I get it. I guess I will have to have several swap partitions.
I am interested in a server-type machine. I don't know exactly what I will
be doing with it, but it is conceivable I might end up doing RAM-intensive
work.

I run emacs all the time, and that is a memory hog.

From: Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.os.linux
Date: 17 Jan 1999 23:10:40 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Carl Fink wrote:
>>
>> On 16 Jan 1999 23:59:17 GMT, Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >/swap    512  MB
>> .
>> For an example, this 48 MB Linux box, running notorious RAM hog
>> Netscape Navigator plus innd plus a proxy server plus various other
>> stuff, has done NO swapping since I booted it.  I've never managed to
>> use more than 12 MB of RAM since I got it set up.
>>

> I have 128 megs of ram and I have never got it to use the swap and I
> usually a ton of apps opened.

Yeah, I see what you mean. It really depends on the application. You might
run a RAM-intensive application rarely, like image-editing, but when you
do, I believe it will swap.

Anyway, that's immaterial. I understand the concept involved. I basically
wanted an opinion whether my partioning strategy was a good one.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Douglas N Arnold)
Subject: multifunction peripherals for Linux?
Date: 17 Jan 1999 18:25:26 -0500

One sees multifunction peripherals or "all-in-one machines" advertised
a lot.  These serve as printer/scanner/copier/Fax and seem very
convenient for a home office.  Examples are Xerox WC450C, Canon C5500,
Hewlett Packard Office Jet 710, Sharp UX2200, Brother MFC7150, and many
others.

The question is: do any of these work with Linux?
Thanks in advance for any information or pointers.
--
Douglas N. Arnold            Office: 332 McAllister Building
Department of Mathematics    Phone: +1 814 865 0246 / FAX: +1 814 865 3735

------------------------------

From: Yves Dorfsman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and CreativesLab Soundblaster live
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 23:30:28 GMT

Didi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does anybody know, wether it is possible to install a PCI Soundblaster Live
> soundcard under Linux (SuSE 6.0/Kernel: 2.2pre7)? If "yes", can you give any
> hints on the sound setting?
> Thanks for any help!
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I've asked the same question a week or two ago. The answer was that it is
not supported yet, but it is being worked on.

(Check in dejanews for a better answer).

Yves.
----
Yves Dorfsman                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                         http://www.cuug.ab.ca/~dorfsmay

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.os.linux
Date: 17 Jan 1999 14:48:38 GMT

On 17 Jan 1999 05:45:46 GMT, Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[I wrote]

>>that unless your machine is a heavily loaded server or you are doing
>>some sort of fantastically RAM-intensive task (i.e. graphics
>>processing on 100 MB bitmaps) you're unlikely to need that much swap.
>
>Not true.  All you need is a simple scanner and then do a few
>common things.  I ran up 300Mb of virtual memory use at once by
>rotating a scanned image...

Er, the *example* I gave of very memory-intensive work was bitmapped
graphics.

>>For an example, this 48 MB Linux box, running notorious RAM hog
>>Netscape Navigator plus innd plus a proxy server plus various other
>>stuff, has done NO swapping since I booted it.  I've never managed to
>>use more than 12 MB of RAM since I got it set up.
>
>How did you determine that?

Top.

>Given that X itself will use about
>that much memory, and so will Netscape, and that XEmacs uses even
>more...  your 12Mb figure doesn't ring true.

That's because it's a typo.  I meant to write that I never use more
than 12 megs of *swap*, not RAM.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Your brain is actually a fabulously complex computer, which means that

------------------------------

From: "ochre small" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.protocols.ppp
Subject: Re: modem fails under Linux...
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 09:03:58 +0930

Thanks all, I've found a modem HT and am working though it..
Dave
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Ruffian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which CPU to upgrade to?
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 23:36:36 +0000

Mark Vandersteen wrote:

> Rod Roark wrote in message <77r4qo$5o1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >Ruffian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>On 13 Jan 1999 13:43:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Taylor)
> >>wrote:
> >>Get an ASUS P2B with a PII350. The board will hold up to 768MB RAM.
> >>4 PCI slots, 1 AGP slot, 2 ISA's (I think, I don't pay too much
> >>attention to the ISAs).  PII350's are getting pretty cheap.
> >
> >The Celeron 400 is even cheaper, and easily outperforms a P-II/350.
> >
> >-- Rod
>
> Just out of curiosity isn't the new celeron 366/400's not able to do the
> 100Mhz (FSB) ??? There hard wired for 66Mhz and cant be changed anymore ??
>
> Mark Vandersteen [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Powered by Linux !  Obsessed with women !
> The thoughts here are not necessariy mine !

Hi Mark

The Celeron 300a can be overclocked. You can get the board and chip
for around $350.00

see you
Jan
--
reality.sys corrupt; reboot universe [y/n] ?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 18:53:50 -0500
From: Jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modem/pppd config-bit 7 set to 0?

joris dallaire wrote:

> Hello linuxians,
> Below is the log message for a pppd error upon connection with
> kppp:
>
> [root@localhost sbin]# tail /var/log/messages
> Jan 17 04:16:14 localhost pppd[327]: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
> Jan 17 04:16:14 localhost pppd[327]: Using interface ppp0
> Jan 17 04:16:14 localhost pppd[327]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cua2
> Jan 17 04:16:44 localhost pppd[327]: LCP: timeout sending
> Config-Requests
> Jan 17 04:16:44 localhost pppd[327]: Connection terminated.
> Jan 17 04:16:44 localhost pppd[327]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit
> clean:
> Jan 17 04:16:44 localhost pppd[327]: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0 Jan
> 17
> 04:17:01 localhost pppd[327]: ioctl(TIOCNXCL): Input/output error
> Jan 17 04:17:01 localhost pppd[327]: Exit.
> Jan 17 04:18:14 localhost kernel:PPP: ppp line discipline successfully
> unregistered
>
> What's the matter with the <Receive serial link> having bit 7 set to 0?
> Is my ISP having kind of another standard mask for login on TCP/IP?
> Or is that receive side my own serial device side misconfigured?
> There is that <timeout sending Config-Requests> that makes me believe my
> modem
> may be misconfigured. Then how to check if current setings are
> ok?(system's
> base i/o, irq)? my modem uses 0x03f8, irq 12
>
> Can someone shed some light on these topics? Help
> always greatly appreciated.
> --
> Joris Dallaire   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ICQ:14881544  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/joris.dallaire/

I am having the exact same problem. If you get it worked out, could you
e-mail me and tell me what you did? If I figure it out, I will reciprocate.

From: Dan Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: which distribution package do you recommend?
Date: 17 Jan 1999 23:54:09 GMT

In alt.os.linux M. Wimmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I collected some general information about linux on the internet,
: but I must admit, that I am a 100% newbie in this field. I would like
: to "learn by doing" about this powerful operating system. Can you
: recommend a distribution package? It should cost less than about 20
: Euros. It should be run off my second, smaller SCSI - HD (Controller
: NCR C810 is supported). It must support my Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM
: graphics card and Panasonic CR 581-M CD-ROM drive.  Maybe there is a
: package with a very comfortabel user interface?  I am a medium
: experienced USER of Windows 95.

Each distro, usually do not differ on there hardware support,  because
hardware support is generally handled by the Linux Kernel

Go to the Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO @
http://users.bart.nl/~patrickr/hardware-howto/Hardware-HOWTO.html

The only pieces of hardware which are not dependent on the kernel are
the Video Cards.  Which are provided by the X servers.  Most distros
use XFree86's but SuSE has some of there own servers for newer card.
These servers however can be used by other distros.

Distribution cost varies.  Generally $50 US for a supported version of
Red Hat.  Most distribution can be found for $3 or so from other sites
like http://www.cheapbytes.com  And most can be installed free through
FTP.

--
           Dan Nguyen            | There is only one happiness in
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         |   life, to love and be loved.

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen?= Averbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NetFlex/3p NC
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 23:06:56 +0100

Martial RODRIGUEZ wrote:
> This Dock-station is shipped with an NETFLEX-3/P network card controler.

You have to compile the TLAN.C (TI Thunderlan Support - for use with
config).

have fun,

Juergen

DRIVE-Systems (Consulting, Development, InterNetworking Solutions)
http://www.drivenet.de
Juergen Averbeck (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Ruffian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 23:38:14 +0000

John Auld wrote:

> >>The Celeron 400 is even cheaper, and easily outperforms a P-II/350.
>
> >Just out of curiosity isn't the new celeron 366/400's not able to do the
> >100Mhz (FSB) ??? There hard wired for 66Mhz and cant be changed anymore ??
>
> A comparison of the PII 400 and Celeron 400 at
> http://www.tomshardware.com shows little difference in performance
> between the two chips, even though the Celeron runs on a 66MHz FSB. In
> some tests (see the FPU rendering tests) the Celeron was marginaly
> faster, due to the On Chip cache.
>
> John Auld

I'm just too lazy and inexperienced to play with overclocking *g* this
is my first attempt at upgrading/rebuilding.  C'mon guys, give a girl
a break *g*

see you
Jan

P.S.  The next one will be dual PIII's for LINUX  **LMAO**

--
reality.sys corrupt; reboot universe [y/n] ?