  Re: Please, help with NCR53C94 SCSI (Eric Wick)

From: Peter Polman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Internal SCSI Zip-drive (Not detected)
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 18:25:17 -0800

"Mario L. Mueller" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to setup my Internal SCSI Zip-drive under RedHat Linux v5.1.
> Nothing seems to recognize it, though.
>
> During installation of RedHat, if I remember correctly, there was a nice
> little window that asked me if I had any SCSI devices. I answered Yes in
> hopes that it would detect my little ZIP SCSI insider. Too bad that it
> did't.

Because this card has no ROM chip the probe will not find it. You could have
passed parameters here to help the probe find the card. You would have
needed to know how your card is set up. It would have looked similar to
"aha152x=0x340,10,7,1" but of course with your own parameters!

> I know the SCSI adapter, that conveniently came with my ZIP drive, is
> not a true SCSI controller. To my understanding, it simply gives the
> drive a SCSI ID and enough pathway to support the speed of the Zip
> drive. I can't seem to find any HOWTO's on SCSI ZIP drives, though.
> There are many on ZIP IDE internal drives, since they seem to be what's
> popular, though, but that doesn't help. :(
>
> Has anyone had any success with the -SCSI- ZIP internal drive?
> Mario

Another option, if your brave enough, is to recompile the kernel (be sure
you check out the READMEs) and add the proper SCSI support for the aha152x
compatible cards. This in itself will not work, but with a small
modification to the right Makefile you can make it work perfectly. Email me
direct or post here and I'll get you the specific modification needed.
The other option is to add the proper append command to your lilo
configuration file (lilo.conf), run lilo, reboot and then use the insmod
command. This may be the easiest way, though I've never tried this. I had to
use the difficult method, of course!

------------------------------

From: Jonathan Meeks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: IOMega Zip: PPA failed initialization
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 11:22:31 -0600

==============140438C27D2FE7F5592ED683

I'm Caldera OpenLinux v. 1.3 (2.0.35) and am trying to mount a parallel
port zip drive.  I had to recompile the kernal b/c the ppa module wasn't
built.

Now, I get the following:

>insmod ppa
ppa: Version 1.42
ppa: Probing port 03bc
ppa: Probing port 0278
scsi: 0 hosts.
Initialization of ppa failed

My machine has an AST BIOS v. 2.1 (if that should matter).

The zip drive is connected and a zip disk is inserted, too.

Jonathan Meeks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============140438C27D2FE7F5592ED683

<HTML>
<TT></TT>

<P><TT>I'm Caldera OpenLinux v. 1.3 (2.0.35) and am trying to mount a parallel</TT>
<BR><TT>port zip drive.&nbsp; I had to recompile the kernal b/c the ppa
module wasn't built.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>Now, I get the following:</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>>insmod ppa</TT>
<BR><TT>ppa: Version 1.42</TT>
<BR><TT>ppa: Probing port 03bc</TT>
<BR><TT>ppa: Probing port 0278</TT>
<BR><TT>scsi: 0 hosts.</TT>
<BR><TT>Initialization of ppa failed</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>My machine has an AST BIOS v. 2.1 (if that should matter).</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>The zip drive is connected and a zip disk is inserted, too.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>Jonathan Meeks</TT>
<BR><TT>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</TT></HTML>

From: garv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux wont recognize my modem
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 03:55:19 GMT

The Brain wrote:

> Ok, I am a newbie to linux, so any help has to be mind-nubingly simple (all
> I know is the commands pwd, ls, rm, cd, and the basics of Xwindows).
> I have a US Robotics 33.6 voice internal modem, and Linux does not want to
> recognize it.

Before you  cause yourself needless grief, make sure it isn't a winmodem.

Follow this thread and read.

------------------------------

From: "Pierre Laffitte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: lookinf for right parameters for a LCD screen
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 04:52:14 +0100

I'd like to have a "800x600" mode screen with a LCD screen on a PC equiped
with a Trident driver (chipset = 'cyber9320', (the 'X -showconfig' shows me
that 'cyber9320' driver is well supported)).

My 'XF86Config' file has the following modes :

# 800x600 @ 56 Hz, 35.15 kHz hsync
ModeLine "800x600"     36     800  824  896 1024   600  601  603  625
# 800x600 @ 60 Hz, 37.8 kHz hsync
Modeline "800x600"     40     800  840  968 1056   600  601  605  628 +hsync
+vsync
# 800x600 @ 72 Hz, 48.0 kHz hsync
Modeline "800x600"     50     800  856  976 1040   600  637  643  666 +hsync
+vsync
# 640x480 @ 60 Hz, 31.5 kHz hsync
Modeline "640x480"     25.175 640  664  760  800   480  491  493  525
# 640x480 @ 72 Hz, 36.5 kHz hsync
Modeline "640x480"     31.5   640  680  720  864   480  488  491  521

The three modes "800x600" don't work. The 'X -probeonly' gives me the
following
result :

XFree86 Version 3.3.2 / X Window System
Release Date: March 2 1998
 If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
 than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
 problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Linux 2.0.34 i586 [ELF]
Configured drivers:
  SVGA: server for SVGA graphics adaptors (Patchlevel 0):
      NV1, STG2000, RIVA128, ET4000, ET4000W32, ET4000W32i,
      ET4000W32i_rev_b, ET4000W32i_rev_c, ET4000W32p, ET4000W32p_rev_a,
      tgui9430dgi, tgui9440agi, cyber9320, tgui9660, tgui9680, tgui9682,
      ct64300, generic
(using VT number 7)

XF86Config: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config
(**) stands for supplied, (--) stands for probed/default values
(**) XKB: keycodes: "xfree86"
(**) XKB: types: "default"
(**) XKB: compat: "default"
(**) XKB: symbols: "us(pc101)"
(**) XKB: geometry: "pc"
(**) XKB: rules: "xfree86"
(**) XKB: model: "pc101"
(**) XKB: layout: "fr"
(**) Mouse: type: ps/2, device: /dev/mouse, buttons: 3
(**) SVGA: Graphics device ID: "Trident cyber9320"
(**) SVGA: Monitor ID: "Moniteur Générique"
(--) SVGA: Mode "800x600" needs hsync freq of 35.16 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "640x480" needs hsync freq of 36.46 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "800x600" needs hsync freq of 37.88 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "800x600" needs hsync freq of 48.08 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "1024x768" needs hsync freq of 48.36 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "1024x768" needs hsync freq of 56.48 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "1024x768" needs hsync freq of 62.50 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "1280x1024" needs hsync freq of 64.25 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "1280x1024" needs hsync freq of 78.86 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "1280x1024" needs hsync freq of 81.13 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "320x240" needs hsync freq of 39.38 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Invalid vertical timing for mode "400x300". Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "400x300" needs hsync freq of 37.88 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "400x300" needs hsync freq of 48.08 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "480x300" needs hsync freq of 35.16 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "480x300" needs hsync freq of 37.80 kHz. Deleted.
G(--) SVGA: Mode "480x300" needs hsync freq of 39.56 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "480x300" needs hsync freq of 48.00 kHz. Deleted.
(**) FontPath set to
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/l
ib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/font
s/100dpi/"
(--) SVGA: PCI: Trident Cyber 9320 rev 227, Memory @ 0x08000000, 0x08200000
(--) SVGA: Detected an DSTN  800x600 Display
(--) SVGA: Revision 3.
(--) SVGA: Using Trident programmable clocks
(**) SVGA: chipset:  cyber9320
(**) SVGA: videoram: 1024k
(**) SVGA: Using 8 bpp, Depth 8, Color weight: 666
(--) SVGA: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 90.000 MHz
(--) SVGA: There is no mode definition named "800x600"
(--) SVGA: Removing mode "800x600" from list of valid modes.
(**) SVGA: Mode "640x480": mode clock =  25.175
(**) SVGA: Virtual resolution set to 800x600
(--) SVGA: Generic SpeedUps selected (Flags=0x30)
(--) SVGA: Using Linear Frame Buffer at 0x08000000, Size 1MB
(--) SVGA: Using Graphics Engine.
(--) SVGA: Using 1024 byte display width.

Does anybody know right parameters for a 800x600 resolution ?

Merci

------------------------------

From: Alan Schunemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.dcom.servers,comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Re: Where to spend more money to speed up file server?
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 23:00:18 -0500

John,

I'd be curious to see if Samba (ie, software) is the bottleneck in a
system like this. I'm not that familiar with the Samba "protocol" (SMB)
but I did run into a problem with NFS a long time ago. The
problem/bottleneck was the file serving/sharing software (NFS). Moving to
NFS v3 solved the problem (sync writes v. async writes if the cobwebs are
right...). You are certainly throwing a lot of bandwidth at the problem.
It would be a shame to find you can't read from the network and write to
the disk (at 10-20MB/sec) because the underlying software can't perform at
these levels. I'm curious to hear what other folks experiences are with
Samba... I'll have to fire up some tests to try it out.

Just a heads up in general... don't leave out the possibility that the
software "system" can't drive the disks and NICs at "wire speed".

Alan

------------------------------

From: Greg Boehnlein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AMI Megaraid 428
Date: 3 Feb 1999 04:46:03 GMT

Hello,
        I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using the AMI Megaraid
controller w/ Linux? I've spoken with the Tech Support people over at AMI
and they seem rather cool and excited about the Linux drivers. Supposedly,
there is a RedHat 5.2 boot disk that will allow the installation of Redhat
to a RAID partition?
        Getting ready to purchase one and want to hear some real-world
testimony that it will work as advertised.

      President of New Age Consulting Service, Inc.  Cleveland Ohio
           http://www.nacs.net   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   (216)-619-2000
         An athletic supporter of the Cleveland Linux User Group
                        http://cleveland.lug.net

------------------------------

From: Pranab Nag <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Any experience with DPT PM2044UW SCSI Card: Was K6-2 on FIC PA2013
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 13:25:55 -0500

My computer: AMD K6-2 300Mhz on FIC PA2013 MB
DPT PM2044UW SCSI card, Quantum Viking 4.3G UW drive
Sony 24X CDROM drive.

I had posted quite a few times before inquiring about installation
problem with AMD K6-2 and PA2013 M/B.
After a ton of experimentation with changing memory and MB I could not
get rid of the problem. I turned my attention to the SCSI card.

The signal 7 problem during installation goes away only when I do one of
two things:
   a. disable ext. cache during install.
   b. reduce scsi transfer speed in DPT bios settings from 20Mhz to
10Mhz.

I fear the system still has some hidden problem with stability. I am
currently running kernel compile tests.

Any ideas on what to look for? Are there any new drivers which may solve
the problem?

-Pranab

BTW, the CDROM is narrow device connected using an adapter on the
internal wide cable. The hard drive is the last device is properly
terminated. So is the card (which has not ext. device yet).

------------------------------

From: Giuseppe Pittavini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Problems with Microsoft Mouse
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 22:57:54 -0700

I had this problem when i installed RedHat 5.2.  RedHat defaults the
mouse module to cua0.  This is what you need to do
as a root do:

rm /dev/mouse
ln -s /dev/cua1 /dev/mouse

this should take care of the problem

------------------------------

From: "Craig L. Ching" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:17:43 -0600

I also had problems with the Intellipoint mouse selection.  If you find an
answer, please let me know!  Either here or by e-mail ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
is fine.  In the meantime, instead of choosing the Intellipoint drivers, use
the PS/2 drivers.

Craig

------------------------------

From: Darren Shaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: need help if one can
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 22:58:24 -0700

Larry wrote:

> hello I have been following this newsgroup for a bit now and been very
> informed and very pleased for what I have seen so far,,I have a few
> questions,,,this new mp3 thing here is there a way that this can run under
> linux,,and what does it mean when the kernel is compiled or a program I
> guess is compiled,,dont understand,,and I am thinking of building a linux
> system with the k6 chip as well and use a asua mother board as well,,need
> all the thoughts and dos and don'ts so please feel free to put your 5 cents
> in,,and thanks for the time,,,Larry

Is this a joke? If not then here's some info for you Larry. This 'new' mp3
thing can be run using one of many mp3 players for linux. I use X11amp. You
can find most any software you want for linux at:
http://www.linux.org/apps/index.html. Compiling is a programming term. After
you have written your program it must be compiled - Basically it converts your
source code into machine instructions that your computer can understand. With
the linux kernel, (I think) updates are released as source code and you must
compile your new kernel. As far as the K6 chip goes, all I've heard is good
things about it. I'm building my own K6-2 system as well.
Best of luck to you with your new linux system.

Darren Shaw

From: "Ronald L. Robertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Overclocked Celeran300A and Linux?
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 23:52:48 -0600

Have to agree here, on both counts. I've found Linux to be much less
overclocking friendly than the unmentionables, but haven't had a sniff
of trouble with my 300A overclocked (450, yes on a BH-6). No guarantees,
as always.

-Ron.

Norbert Goebel wrote:

> ST :-D wrote:
>
> > If you did overclock C300A/BH6/450 & install LINUX, could you please post
> > your results/findings here for pple like me who's considering doing it? The
> > more affirmations, the more likely it's going to work fine.
> > My other option is to get a Celeron 400 which is overclock-protected.
> >
> > ST.
> >
> > Scott Tyson wrote in message <19990122.4463028@metalhead>...
> > I'm about to install linux onto an Abit BH6 MB with a clereon 300A and
> > was wondering if people have had problems setting the bus to 100mhz.
> > I hve pc100 sdram.  NT and win98 this is a non issue but Linux seems a
> > bit more twitchy when it comes to overclocking from my own experiences
> > (I had problems with a 75 mhz bus TX MB with a p233).
<snipped for brevity>

------------------------------

From: Jose Urena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster 16 SCSI II
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 14:43:02 -0500

==============A977890EA8919A3EE12D62A2

my old SB16 SCSI used to have a adaptec 1522 SCSI controller
the sound should be your normal Sb16

if you have any problems, read the jumper settings off the card
and use that info to configure the drivers

Notmyname wrote:

> Does anyone know how to install the driver for the SoundBlaster 16
> SCSI II in Redhat 5.2?
>
> Thanks in advance

==============A977890EA8919A3EE12D62A2

my old SB16 SCSI used to have a adaptec 1522 SCSI controller
SoundBlaster 16

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond Speedstar A50 AGP video
Date: 3 Feb 1999 06:45:47 GMT

Hello all,

I just built an AMD  K6-2 400 with a Diamond Speedstar  AGP video card.
I installed S.U.S.E 5.3 and have not been able to get the X11 setup  to
run (or X11).

I downloaded the rpm updates and tried them with the same results.
I have also gone to the XFREE 86 site to get the latest distribution of
X11,
followed the install instructions to no avail.

When I try to run XF86Setup I get vertical lines on the screen then the
grey background,
in a few seconds the right 1/3 of the background is clipped off and I
don't get any farther.

I have tried running xf86config (the text setup version) and when I try
to startx I get alot of black
and not much else.

The card is running a SiS 6362 chip with 8M of ram.

If anyone has any suggestions (other than buying a real video card) it
would be much appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

Doug M.  a.k.a  Raisty

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Wick)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Please, help with NCR53C94 SCSI
Date: 3 Feb 1999 06:47:48 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>I have a problem installing linux into a machine with an ncr53c94
>integrated scsi host (ICL MikroMikko 6 D4/66/XG).
>Any ideas whatsoever?

Wait a Time, i found a supporter that tries to write the Driver. If this  wont
go, a second project (VM86 INT13) is running. This will support the Controller
over the Bios-Routines.

Got the same PC here, should run as Gateway and Router. The Onboard SCSI is
very fast with the NT4 Driver which is used in some of these PCs in our
company.

ByeBye
Eric Wick