Linux-Hardware Digest #351, Volume #9             Wed, 3 Feb 99 23:13:30 EST

Contents:
  banshee ("Robert Watson")
  video card upgrade? ("Bill Jones")
  Help understand sournd card resource set up ("Rodney M. Bates")
  How to connect a PS/2 mouse to motherboard ("Rodney M. Bates")
  Re: Anybody using TV-Out video? (Nice N Evil)
  Re: Newbie Q: Linux Box as Router, Server, Gateway? (Stuart Lynne)
  Re: Modem damnit. (Allen)
  Re: GTE flamed linux for BillG (Bob)
  Re: How to connect a PS/2 mouse to motherboard ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: RealPlayer problems (Bob)
  ATI 3D RAGE PRO LT 8 MB trouble with X ("Claus Jul Larsen")
  Linux compatible negative scanners ("Lewis Foti")
  Re: Same Disk RAID and Mirroring ("lyle")
  Re: QIC02 TAPE, SuSE 5.3.. how to install and read? Thank you fellows in advance!
(Thomas Wolff)
  Re: Recognizing the Sohoware Ethernet Network Card (Allen)
  HELP - Installing Network Card ("Michel A. Lim")
  Re: winmodems and wine (Tilman Kranz)
  Re: Celeron and Linux How about it? (Eric Sandeen)
  USB PC Cameras and Linux ("Hue Jass")
  wierd modem problem (MasterD)
  linux on compaq 1080 notebook (Jonathan Axisa)
  Re: Yamaha EIDE CRW4416E, SCSI CRW4416S ("R.V. Gronoff")

From: "Robert Watson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: banshee
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 12:36:13 -0800

Does any now how to get a banshee card to work

------------------------------

From: "Bill Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.autos.simulators
Subject: video card upgrade?
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:08:21 -0500

Last night on ZDTV's Screen Savers program, they talked about PC upgrades
and said that it makes sense to upgrade older 2D video cards now to a 3D
card.  They said even an inexpensive card like the TNT ($89??) would be a
noticeable improvement.

I currently have an ATI Winturbo (Mach64) PCI video card with 2MB VRAM.  I
also have a Monster 3D graphics accelerator.  The PC has no AGP or USB
capability at present.

We have a family PC, a Gateway2000 Pentium 233 MMX, 64MB RAM, and a 17"
monitor.  It's used as a general purpose machine; my son uses it for gaming
and school work (in that order!); the wife surfs the Net and uses MS Office;
my daughter uses it for school work and occasional games; and I use it for
all kinds of things (MS Office, Visual Basic programming, Internet and
e-mail, Linux, and racing simulation games).  The performance now seems very
good - in Viper Racing for instance I'm getting about 25 fps frame rate at
full detail, and I get 25-30 fps in MS CART Precision Racing at full detail.

The question is, should I bother to replace my ATI with a newer card?
Should I keep the Monster 3D, or get an all-in-one 2D/3D card?  The only
reason I'd want to upgrade is if I'd get a noticeable frame rate increase in
the 3D games, and keep the Linux compatibility.

<remove 7of9 for e-mail replies>

--
Bill Jones                 e-mail addresses:
Computer Sciences Corp.         (work)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Rodney M. Bates" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help understand sournd card resource set up
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 15:57:11 GMT

I do not understand what I need to do to set up my sound card.
It is a MM Waverider Classic.  The booklet doesn't mention
a manufacturer name, that I can find.

1) The book says in the intro that it supports "the three
major standards": Adlib, Soundblaster Pro, and MWSS.  (Also
an IDE port and a game port, but those don't contribute to
my confusion.) But the instructions on configuring it have
sections on SB, WSS, and MPU401.  Does this mean Adlib is
a synonym for MPU401?

2) Are these like three independent interfaces on one board?
One section in the book speaks of switching between "SB mode"
and "WSS mode", suggesting that these two are mutually
exclusive.  But SB and MPU each have a separately configurable
IRQ.  Can these run simultaneously?  Do they need different
IRQs?

3) If I use it to play a sequence and to synthesize the
pitches (either FM or wavetable), are the SB and MPU
functions both going at once?  Does the MPU part
internally feed the synthesizer?

4) Can I use the MPU stuff with external synthesizer and
keyboard? Where are the MIDI in and out connections?  The
only possiblity I can see is the game port connector. The
book gives no pinout.

------------------------------

From: "Rodney M. Bates" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to connect a PS/2 mouse to motherboard
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 16:05:43 GMT

My computer came with a cheap/poor generic serial mouse connected
to a serial port.  I have a Logitech PS/2 mouse I want to use.
There is a PS/2 mouse connector on the motherboard with
6 pins in a row, except #2 is absent.  I bought a connector
to plug into this and lead to the exteral PS/2 connector in
the back of the box.

The thing they sold me has 5 pins, again with #2 missing.
I plugged this in with #1 pins matched.  I can't get it
to work at all.  W95 finds a PS/2 mouse but claims it is
disabled in hardware.  This is no change since before I added
the connector.

The BOIS doesn't seem to have anything about it, other than
"IRQ 12(PS/2 mouse):Enabled", which I interpret to just mean
that IRQ 12 is normally used for a PS/2 mouse.  Somehow,
my PCI SCSI board is getting IRQ 12.

Do I need a real 6-pin connector?  The motherboard doc doesn't
say anything about enabling this port.  It only tells what it is.

Rodney Bates

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 15:40:44 -0600
From: Nice N Evil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anybody using TV-Out video?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc

David L. Bilbey wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.x Alan W. Jurgensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : anybody using tv-out cards in linux? perhaps running X or a 3dfx card

  I'm gonna try that.  Was waiting on my video card to get here..
I ordered a viper 550 agp .. it's got tv out. I doubt I'll ever really use
it aside from seeing how it is..
Mainly because I bought a DTV200 so I could watch Tv on my monitor.. ;)
Soon as I wire it up, I'll let you know..

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Newbie Q: Linux Box as Router, Server, Gateway?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart Lynne)
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 02:33:06 GMT

In article <790f12$eri$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Cyrus Mehta  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I  Looked at edge.firplug.net and it seems good, but does it allow me to run a full
>LInux server too
>for Samba, hylafax, etc.  It seems like just a simple router solution for an old box.

Yes, exactly. I far prefer to keep Samba on a machine inside the firewall. It
is safer. Also simpler to configure and upgrade if the two functions are on
separate servers.

--
Stuart Lynne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      604-461-7532      <http://edge.fireplug.net>
PGP Fingerprint: 28 E2 A0 15 99 62 9A 00  88 EC A3 EE 2D 1C 15 68

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Modem damnit.
Date: 4 Feb 1999 02:38:51 GMT

Better yet, if it (normaly) defaults to COM 2, then go to your CMOS
setup screen, and disable the on-board COM 2 , unless you really need
to have the extra serial ports, and that should cure the prob.  BTW,
if you do set it to PnP, then it won't default to COM 2, but you may
still have a time getting it to work with Linux, but it can be done.

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of
nospam.)
fight spam everywhere!!!

                The irony is that Bill Gates claims to making a
                         stable operating system and
             Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the
world.

                 Linux; The Official OS of the New Millennium

                          http://www.linuxlink.comOn 3 Feb 1999

------------------------------

From: Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GTE flamed linux for BillG
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 22:35:20 -0500

Luca Filipozzi wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> says...
> >     Bob> having windows. I have heard in newsgroups that GTE has
> >     Bob> terminated ADSL service when they found out somebody was
> >     Bob> running linux.
> >
> Does the contract actually say the Windows is required? Or simply that it
> is the only O/S supported?
>
> My ADSL provider says I can use *nix but that they only support Windows
> and Mac O/S. In other words, my problems are my own to fix.
>
> Luca

You and I know it's reasonable to say they don't hold hands or answer
questions or support whatever OS. Far beyond that, one individual on
the phone slandered and defamed linux by saying linux can't do dhcp.
He went into an endless loop on windows can and linux can't, terminating
the conversation with prejudice. In these newsgroups I've found out
everything
I need to know from people who run linux on GTE ADSL all the time, but
nobody
dares to say so when they're talking to the evil empire.

Actually if someone gets GTE ADSL, but an independent ISP, they don't hear
that
defamation of linux. For a mere 100% extra per month, I don't have to hear
it!

I don't want to go on tape and say I'm running windows. That jeopardizes
my linux windows-non-use refund, and it's insulting and demeaning, and
I don't appreciate the defamation of linux. Also consider the statistics,
"All of our users are running windows", bah, untrue.

-Bob

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How to connect a PS/2 mouse to motherboard
Date: 03 Feb 1999 19:12:07 PST

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Andri Saar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>Rodney M. Bates wrote:
>> The BOIS doesn't seem to have anything about it, other than
>> "IRQ 12(PS/2 mouse):Enabled", which I interpret to just mean
>> that IRQ 12 is normally used for a PS/2 mouse.  Somehow,
>> my PCI SCSI board is getting IRQ 12.
>
>Let me guess: you found that opiton under PnP Setup or Poer Management
>Setup?
>That's not the thing. That option lets your computer wake up from
>suspend mode when IRQ12 gets active, IOW when you move your mouse.
>There must be another option somewhere else in the BIOS, like "PS/2
>Mouse Support" or "PS/2 Mouse Port"...

OR maybe it's listed as the Auxilluary (sp) (input) device.
--
Just my $0.02 worth.
Hope this helps,

PS:
To reply: replace 'X.bleeb' with 'greeder'.

------------------------------

From: Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RealPlayer problems
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 22:38:05 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I am running Linux 2.2-pre6 in hte S.u.S.E. environment. My soundcard appears
> to work fine (it is a S3 Sonicvibes compatible TurtleBeach). I downloaded
> RealPlayer v5.0 and when I am trying to launch it it gives me Error #1
> (described on the RealAudio's help WWW page as a "General Error") and on the
> command line prints "audio: write error". I checked permissions on
> /dev/audio,- they are rw-rw-rw-... I am perplexed.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Boris.

Other plugins/apps work, and other people have rvplayer5 working, but
mine core dumps. I think I have all the paths and ldconfig.

-Bob

------------------------------

From: "Claus Jul Larsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI 3D RAGE PRO LT 8 MB trouble with X
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 23:32:06 +0100

Hi,

I'm newbie to RedHat 5.2.

My computer is a compaq presario with the ATI 3D Rage Pro LT grapich card
with 8 MB video RAM.

I cannot run the X-server . I've tried to use a lot of X-servers under
Xconfiguartor - but nothing helps.

I want to run under 1280x1024 resoultion on my 19" monitor...

Please help me....

Claus Jul Larsen

------------------------------

From: "Lewis Foti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux compatible negative scanners
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 22:35:43 -0000

Does anybody know if there are any Linux compatible 35mm negative scanners.
There are several made by well known brands such as Minolta, Cannon and
Nikon that have SCSI interfaces, so it should be possible to communicate
with them from Linux. However I have not been able to find any suitable
software. Any and all pointers to relevant information would be most
appreciated.

regards

Lewis

------------------------------

From: "lyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,comp.arch.storage,alt.os.linux,comp.periphs
Subject: Re: Same Disk RAID and Mirroring
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 16:58:30 GMT

done about 2+ years ago.  5 drive and 10 drive implementations.  Company in
the SF Bay Area, Bering?  I forget the name.  Seemed to work, table top
unit.  At the time EIDE drives seemed to have hit an upper limit on size
(perhaps a marketing decision on what the OS and MB could drive?) and SCSI
seemed to have no limit.  10+GB in EIDE now makes this an interesting
situation.  SCSI, not to be overrun, has the 18GB 10,000rpm and we now are
shipping the 36GB scsi too...

I still have a working RL02 drive, with system too.  Supported 40+ users on
two RM05's.

I don't know how I got along....

Lyle

<7970fi$5ob$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Wolff)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: QIC02 TAPE, SuSE 5.3.. how to install and read? Thank you fellows in
advance!
Date: 3 Feb 1999 22:37:50 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder) writes:

: "Blackey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: >Hello!
: >I have old fashion QIC02 Tape (150MB extended to 250MB) which is connected
: >through slot as modem etc and then, as a 25pin connector to the external
: >drive. I think that manufacturer is ARCHIVE.

: >According instructions I made new kernel but I don't know how to init
: >(mount) and to read data from tape.

: Is your QIC02 card found at bootup ? If so, reading and writing
: files from/onto the tape can be done with "tar"  or "taper" .
: The drive should be addressed as /dev/tpqic150 .

I have a Wangtek QIC02 card and streamer. The hard problem I had with
it was that it wouldn't work with any other IRQ and DMA settings than
those also used by the SoundBlaster as a default. As there is not yet
any decent boot initialisation for the SoundBlaster available for Linux,
I have to boot via DOS/loadlin (using the config.sys boot menu) and run
a DOS SoundBlaster initialisation before calling loadlin in order to
draw it away from IRQ 5 and DMA 1.

Thomas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Recognizing the Sohoware Ethernet Network Card
Date: 4 Feb 1999 03:18:21 GMT

Just a thought, but the tulip driver is up to verion .90 now, i
believe I have read, and you might check to see if you are using the
latest one?

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of
nospam.)
fight spam everywhere!!!

                The irony is that Bill Gates claims to making a
                         stable operating system and
             Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the
world.

                 Linux; The Official OS of the New Millennium

                          http://www.linuxlink.com

------------------------------

From: "Michel A. Lim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: HELP - Installing Network Card
Date: 3 Feb 1999 22:10:13 GMT

i am a linux newbie, with some computer experience, trying to install my
intel etherexpress pro/10+ isa card on my now linux box (Macmillan RH 5.2,
kernel 2.0.36-0.7).  i have read several other postings regarding this
network card, but i could really use a step-by-step guide.

the card did work when the OS was win98.  linux is now the only OS on this
computer.  the linux install was successful except that it did not recognize
my network card.  i disabled the plug and play function of the card using
the intel configuration software (softset2), and then tried re-installing
linux and passing the IRQ and I/O settings (7 and 320-32Fh respectively) but
that also did not work.  i then tried to add the following lines to
/etc/conf.modules:

alias eth0 eepro
options eth0 io=320-32Fh irq=7

this was also unsucessful.  furthermore, pnpdump returns "board not found,"
and even AFTER reading the HOWTO for isapnptools, i have no idea what to add
to add to my isapnp.conf file.

any help would be very appreciated, just please be detailed as i am not a
guru by any stretch of the imagination.  remember to remove NOSPAM from the
reply address if you wish to email me directly.

thank you.
michel a. lim
associate
wong hobach lau
consulting engineers
structural/civil/construction management
www.whl-international.com

more info...
Intel Softset2 device settings
Node Address:    00 A0 C9 16 83 F7
I/O Address:    320-32Fh
Interrupt:    IRQ7
Board Connector Type:    Auto-Detect
Force 8-bit operation:    No
Flash Chip Address:    Disabled
Remote Boot Program:    None
Concurrent Processing:    Enabled
Duplex Mode:    Half Duplex
Power Management:    Disabled
Plug and Play:    Disabled
Plug and Play Environment:    PnP BIOS only
Adapter Type:    Intel PRO/10+
Controller Version:    82595FX
Bus Type detected:    ISA-PCI

computer hardware:
Pentium 166
16MB RAM
1.3GB Maxtor IDE HD
Everex EV-623 video card with 1MB DRAM
SONY 4X IDE CD-ROM
no sound card
no modem

------------------------------

From: Tilman Kranz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: winmodems and wine
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 22:42:33 +0100

autodata wrote:

> Get an external modem. That way, you know exactly what
> you have and what resources are being devoted to it.

agreeing to the fullest.

I never have seen one before ;-) are those ISA-cards or what?

Greetings, Tilman.

------------------------------

From: Eric Sandeen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Celeron and Linux How about it?
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 16:53:55 -0600

Should be fine.  You need to pass a MEM=XXX to the kernel on boot to
recognize over 64 megs.  I've heard some reports that Linux is less tolerant
of overclocking, probably because it's making better (more precise) use of
the hardware on the first place.  Odds are you'll be fine.

-Eric

Smartpatrol wrote:

> I'm considering building a Celeron 400 based Linx box With a Tyan AT BX
> chipset board. Will I miss the extra cache of a P-II and will it reconize
> memory above 64MB!
>
> Smartpatrol

Linux - the choice of a GNU generation!

From: "Hue Jass" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,comp.dcom.videoconf,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: USB PC Cameras and Linux
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 22:32:52 -0500

I know there is a project to bring USB support to LINUX, but I don't know
how close to supporting PC cameras that project is (I tried to get to
http://www.nv.org/linux/USB/, but it was so slow, it timed out).

Are there any drivers and applications out there now that will work with USB
cameras such as the ViCAM and Logitech QuickCAM Pro?

- Thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MasterD)
Subject: wierd modem problem
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 03:37:17 GMT

Hi
     I just installed Red Hat 5.1, and I've been trying to configure
my modem, ultimately for ppp.
     I've been testing things with minicom.  Minicom can see the
modem, and the modem responds, but things are very slow.
Characters consistently popup on screen in 16 character
chunks, long after having been typed on the keyboard.  There
is about a 16 second pause between chunks appearing on
screen.
     So I suspect that there is a problem with how the modem
and linux(or whatever) are talking.
     My  modem is a NewCom 33,600ifx internal modem, with an
ISA connector.  I am pretty damn sure its not a winmodem.  The
manual claims the modem has a 16C550 UART interface.  It is
configured for PnP at the moment.
   I have successfully dialed into my ISP using minicom, but I
was disconnected before I could login(probably I timed out on
the ISP side of things).

  Anyone got any ideas on this one?  I have played with isapnp,
but that didn't seem to do any good.  How does linux look at an
internal modem?  Is it mapped onto one of the serial ports?

    Note, I have win95, and the modem performs fine under it.

-Alex

------------------------------

From: Jonathan Axisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux on compaq 1080 notebook
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 22:44:08 -0500

I've got a compaq presario 1080 notebook running win95, and, like many
machines running windows, it crashes, often, and it's getting worse. So,
i've been looking into linux, but i've heard that it may not support my
video or sound drivers. i've looked on linux.org and a link from there
to a page for linux on lap-tops. none mentioned the 1080.

166 MHz pentium processor, w/ mmx
800x600 display in 64K Colors, NeoMagic MagicGraph 128ZV
Raster display
1.34 GB hard drive (real small, does anyone know if this would be
a       problem?)
ESS AudioDrive
3Com EtherlinkIII LAN PC card

If anyone has any experience installing/running linux and x on the 1080
and with any of the hardware, and could tell me if it'll work or not,
please let me know

-jon

------------------------------

From: "R.V. Gronoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.cd-rom,comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
Subject: Re: Yamaha EIDE CRW4416E, SCSI CRW4416S
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 01:22:31 +0100

ONL a écrit dans le message <798aj5$3cs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I'm successfully using a 4416S. I am told SCSI is the more reliable of the
>two - that seem to be the general view. Mind, they say a SCSI hard disc is
>best; yet my EIDE Maxtor works fine. Perhaps the gap between SCSI and EIDE
>in performance terms for everyday users is negligible. Buying an EIDE would
>mean you don't need to buy a SCSI card - assuming you don't have one.

Well, the main advantage of SCSI is perfect multi-tasking (actually, with
SCSI it is the board AND the peripherals themselves that do 95% of the task,
the mlain processor -Pentium, etc. - being hardly used). The main
disadvantage, though, is the price.
For a hard drive, unless you want to use it for intensive recordings (like
video or 16-tracks audio recording), you will need SCSI.

But for CD and CDR drives and scanners, SCSI is far better than IDE, because
it never slows down the computer (like when the CD is accessed in the middle
of that huge 3D game...) and scanning A4 pages really zooms.

I bought an Adaptec AHA 2940 Ultra that was originally fitted in a PC in the
store showroom - so it had hardly been used. And I bought it only 2/3 of the
normal retail price.
I never regretted it (Adaptec boards come with a 5 years warranty - just to
speak about the quality of their components).

I have a 12x Pioneer CD rom, an Epson GT 5500 scanner, a Jaz drive and a
Yamaha CRW4416S conected to this board, and never had any bad surprise with
my periphs (except a Jaz "click of death", but it obviously didn't come from
the SCSI board...).

So, if you can put your hands on a 2nd hand Adaptec 2940 board, go for it!
You'll never look at your PC the same way !

RVG