Linux-Hardware Digest #404, Volume #9            Wed, 10 Feb 99 22:13:26 EST

Contents:
  Re: Hardware Specification for Linux Web Server ("~The Seventh Sign ~")
  I960 SUPPORT (Simon Fridmann)
  Re: Adapter for Sun Keyboard ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ***Hardware RAID*** (Eoin)
  Re: printing probs on Kernel2.2 (Pieter Krul)
  Re: PCI modem heart ache (Hashi)
  Dell Poweredge 2300 with RAID (Morgan S. Hollinger)
  USR Courier I-modem internal/external?? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Serial port not working (Mickey Stein)
  Re: Linux on an E-Machine... (Marco La Cascia)
  Re: Linux and AGP, how? (Shashank Misra)
  Virge MX+ ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux and AGP, how? ("Steve Atkinson")
  Re: Wierdness with Magneto-Optical disks (Chris Ott)
  Re: PCI modem heart ache (David Fox)
  Re: Sound and Network conflict (Steve Irwin)
  Windows & Linux File Transfer ? ("Chris Marai")
  Re: Compiling modules (John Thompson)
  Re: sofwtare RAID-0, controller query. (Ian Tester)
  Re: Windows & Linux File Transfer ? ("Mike")
  Re: GTE flamed linux for BillG (James)

From: "~The Seventh Sign ~" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware Specification for Linux Web Server
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:25:53 -0500

What happened when you run CGI scripts on it?
--
~The §eventh §ign ~
Life on this planet has such limited visions.
Thomas Neurauter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:Peter Stephen Drage wrote:
:>
:> I am going to be using it for development, my external site is hosted on
:> linux server and I want to mirror this at home, so that I can develop
:> scripts and test them with out the need to be online.
:
:For your jobs you should simply get a
:PII-350 with 128MB memory. This will do
:far more than you said you're going to do.
:
:I was running 12 virtual web-hosts on
:a 486/66 with 32 MB memory and 1,5 GB disks.
:It worked fine (except running perl-scripts
:for cgis and other purposes).
:
::-) Thomas Neurauter
:
:- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
:      a h n e t - Gruppe | Digitale Medien
:
:Obere Donaustrasse 4       t 43.732.715355
:A-4040 Linz                f 43.732.730970
:                           m 43.676.5400296
:http://www.ahnet.at        e [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:_____________________________________________
:ahnet Gruppe der Hofmueller Repro GmbH & CoKG

------------------------------

From: Simon Fridmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I960 SUPPORT
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 19:34:55 -0500

Hi,

We use I960 CF and I960 HA. Does anyone knows of any source code
available for using Linux with these processors. Thanks for your help.
please email me at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Best regards
Simon Fridmann

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Adapter for Sun Keyboard
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:41:30 GMT

Yes, there is something. SUN makes a keyboard that you can plug into a PC. The
part # is: 320-1270.

Mark

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eoin)
Subject: Re: ***Hardware RAID***
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 22:32:27 GMT

        I sure think it's massive overkill for a workstation, but then
I suppose one may be doing something with one's workstation that I
think ought not to be a single-user-only workstation's function.
        Very generally, hardware RAID (I speak of  RAID 5, as that is
what the below system seems geared toward) is best for tasks requiring
very high disk i/o while maintaining cost-effective fault-tolerance.
The hardware vs. software raid decision very often amounts to a
question of whether you have a fair amount of free processor time or
not. If you do, software RAID may very well take care of you without
significantly slowing your system down. If not, you need hardware RAID
or else another machine dedicated to being a RAID disk farm (that's
basically the same thing on a slightly different scale, you see?).
HTH.

                        --Eoin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pieter Krul)
Subject: Re: printing probs on Kernel2.2
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 23:27:13 +0100

Bernhard Reski wrote to comp.os.linux.hardware about

> hi,
> on kernel 2.2 printing (canon bjc240 on magicfilter with ibmpro driver)
> doesn't work any more. On kernel 2.0.36 it did.
> Is anybody here, who can tell me why??? :(

You can check if the device changed from /dev/lp1 to /dev/lp0

HTH

Pieter

--
 \|/ ____ \|/  yo-yo, n.:
 "@'/ .. \`@"

------------------------------

From: Hashi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCI modem heart ache
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 01:10:34 +0000

hi,

re:
---
> The guy was probably wrong...
---
        yeah, i'm inclined to agree with you here :o(

re:
---
> I'm having a difficult time finding any useful information on this modem,
>
> Try ATi4, ATi5, and ATi6 while you're at it.
---
modem returns the following:

        ati3
        V2.1.2.135
        OK
        ati4
        FM-56PCI-RW 1998/10/26 V2.1.2.135 HCF
        OK
        ati5
        180
        OK
        ati6
        DP Rev BA
        V90     SPX RAM Ver 29
        V90     CTL RAM Ver 29
        K56FLEX SPX RAM Ver 47
        K56FLEX CTL RAM Ver 47
        OK

re:
---
> Also, the kind of chipset would be useful to know.  If it has an FCC ID or
> registration number, that would help nail it down.
---

the closest modem match i can find is: Rockwell PCI 56K Modem (HCF)
chipset is: Rockwell RCV56HCF
as for FCC, only CE mark was clearly defined: 0197X

re:
---
> It sounds like a cookie-cutter Rockwell controllerless winmodem, though.
---
        i cycled 23 miles in temperatures of less than 3C (bitch of a wind
chill too) to exchange the last one this morning, i hope not for that
guy's sake.

thanks,
        Hashi.

--- --- ---
  .~.   the way of the Sacred Penguin is the path of
  /V\   the truly righteous...
 // \\
/(   )\ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 ^`~'^  http://thor.prohosting.com/~hashaday

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Morgan S. Hollinger)
Subject: Dell Poweredge 2300 with RAID
Date: 10 Feb 1999 22:04:00 GMT

   Anyone know if it possible to run Linux on a Dell Poweredge 2300 with RAID
controller. I have not been able to find documentation anywhere on getting
the RAID card working under Linux, and so far all the installation
diskettes and one-disk distributions have been unable to recognize the RAID
card. Does anyone have any experience getting the the RAID controller and
Linux to talk together? Any advice or pointers?

Thanks,
  Morgan Hollinger

--

Visiting Research Associate                   E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Institute for Human and Machine Cognition Phone: (850)-474-3402

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: USR Courier I-modem internal/external??
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 22:12:24 GMT

Hi all:         I want to buy an USR Courier I-modem (ISDN and v.56). My
question is the internal version can be used with Slackware 3.4 (linux
2.0.35); or is better from the support (view point) the external one?  TIA

Randall Badilla

P.D: please reply to my e-mail address!

From: Mickey Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Serial port not working
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 17:21:38 -0800

Hi:
   I've got a pacific turbocom 16750 uart isa card much like yours for use
with a 3com impactiq isdn modem. The part of your note I don't understand is
that you're using a 16650 UART, and setserial'ng it to 16750? Why would you do
that? One has a 16 byte fifo and the other a 64 byte fifo buff. I'm sure
they're not backwards compatible , although probably forwards compatible.
Anyway, Pacific Turbocomm says that kernel 2.1.53 or higher must be used which
is what I used to use with it to get it working originally. Recently I started
using kernel 2.2.0 which is fine as well. Also you'd need (something like 1.4
version ) of setserial for using a uart above 16550 (or maybe that's 16650). I
guess I'd start by setting the UART to be the same as the one you've got. The
other thing I had to do was use the baud_cust, baud_div, and baud_base to come
up with a special baud rate that divided out to either 256K or 128K based on
the specific params of the 16750. Using baud_cust you get whatever you've
asked for when you set your baud rate to be 38,400 in the app. I'm a little
rusty on this not having fooled with it for awhile but I hope something in
there helps.
    Mick

(I'm doing some contract work from home that requires win98 at the moment so I
may be wrong on some of these params or slightly off on their names but that's
the general idea.)

------------------------------

From: Marco La Cascia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on an E-Machine...
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:43:32 -0500

Hi all,
I'm probably going to buy an etower 300c this Saturday and I plan to
install Linux. This is gonna be my first Linux experience (at work we
use SGI and at home a Macintosh) and I don't know anything about the
PC/Win/Linux world.
What's this story of the winmodem? Does it mean that to have a PPP
connection I'll have to buy a new modem for the etower? Can I install
Linux on the etower from the RedHat CD?

Any clarification will be greatly appreciated.

-- Marco

------------------------------

From: Shashank Misra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and AGP, how?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 17:07:49 -0800

Hello Skyt,

I'm pretty sure Suse 6.0 includes the newest XFree86- v. 3.3.3. The Matrox X
server on that (which includes Millenium II) is one of themost stable,
well-accelerated servers X has now. I would be surprised if it did not work
(this isn't to say you might not have to mess around with it some- read the
docs from www.xfree86.org if you're having problems). While whatever version
of X you are trying to run may not be all to happy with AGP, I have heard no
complaints of it's agp's fault with the new X server.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Virge MX+
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 00:26:51 GMT

Hi,

Just got a new laptop and it has a VirgeMX+ card in that doesn't appear to be
supported under linux. I am running Redhat 5.2.

Can anyone offer any tips?

Cheers,

Mark

From: "Steve Atkinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:12:34 -0600

All I can tell you is that it works fine under Red Hat 5.2.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Ott)
Subject: Re: Wierdness with Magneto-Optical disks
Date: 9 Feb 1999 21:16:44 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jim Howes  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I've been having trouble lately with a number of systems,
>all of which have Fujitsu Magneto-Optical drives installed
>on an Adaptec 1542CP controller.
>
>The optical drives are M2513A or M2513E, which can use
>230Mb, 540Mb or 640Mb optical media.

I have this same drive at home. I've never seen this
problem before, but there are a few things you can try.

>Not having the 2048 byte support compiled in on any of
>these systems, I'm using 230Mb and 540Mb media in them.
>
>Recently, I've been getting a lot of complaints regards
>data corruption leading to the system getting bogged down
>in the SCSI drivers;   Typically I'll get a medium error
>on the disks.
>
>The wierdness is that the medium error is almost always
>on block 6 (sector 13 or 14).  This has happened three
>times in the past month, on three different drives, at
>three different sites at three different customers.  I
>can't accept that this is just a coincedence.

What type of media are you using? I'm using the Maxell
DOW disks. Do you have the "verify enable" DIP switch
set? I think it's set to "don't verify after write" by
default. I set it to "DO verify after write".

>One of the systems has kernel 2.0.12, the other two have
>2.0.30.  All are 5x86 based ICP single-board-computer on
>passive ISA backplane systems with a Cirrus CL-GD5429 ISA
>graphics card, SMC Ultra ethernet card, and Adaptec 1542.

These are pretty old kernels. I'm using 2.0.36 and the
current (pre-2.2.0) kernel is 2.0.37. Do you have "verbose
SCSI error reporting" turned on in the kernel? I do. It
may give you more information with which to debug your
problem.

Chris
--
Chris Ott               Are you children clinging tenaciously to my buttocks?
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                 - Powdered Toast Man

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Date: 09 Feb 1999 15:29:54 -0800

Hashi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> hi,
>       i'm having problems getting my PCI modem (it calls itself "Origo Fax
> Modem" if that helps) recognized under Linux (RH5.2 kernel 2.0.36).  i
> don't believe it is a WinModem or a similar such thing (i took the last
> one back to the shop and part exchanged it for this one which the guy
> assured me was a "proper" modem).

I'm afraid there are almost no "proper" PCI modems.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: Steve Irwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound and Network conflict
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:38:32 -0800

Are you sure about the irq? The two irq's that SB preferrs are irq 5 for 8
bit and irq 10 for 16 bit. Try this, got to the /proc directory and cat the
interrupts file. This may give you an idea whether your having conflicts or
not.
Steve

------------------------------

From: "Chris Marai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat
Subject: Windows & Linux File Transfer ?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:36:08 -0500

Hello,

I was wondering if there is anyway to move files on my dos partition to the
linux partition? Or at least read/write them from linux and windows ?

Thanks
Chris Marai

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling modules
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:26:09 -0600

Christian Aasland wrote:

> Recently compiled the 2.2.1 kernel then did make modules ; make
> modules_install but now I get a bunch of errors regarding modprobe
> couldn't find moules pf-5 etc... Everything (except the 3c509b which I
> compiled the kernel with support for) seems to be working, but I'm kind
> of concerned with Linux complaining about this...

These are complaints about IPX and Appletalk.  If you don't
need these, don't worry about it.  If you want to get rid of
the messages, edit your /etc/conf.modules file to include
the lines:

alias net-pf-5 off
alias net-pf-4 off

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Ian Tester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sofwtare RAID-0, controller query.
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:46:42 +1100

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Stuart R. Fuller wrote:
> Chris Parkin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

        [snip]

> : The two hard disks are on the same controller, under hda and hdb. With a
> : cdrom on the second controller as hdd.
> :
> : am i only likely to see an improved performance with the two hard-disks
> : on seperate controllers?
>
> I don't know if you'll see improved performance by going to separate
> controllers with EIDE.  However, I can relate my experience.

Sorry? You seem to contradict yourself later...

> I put together a RAID0 setup with an old SCSI device and an old IDE device.
> Each of them would run at 2.5MB/sec or thereabout.  The resulting md device
> was about 4.5MB/sec.  So, it would seem that I got almost a 2:1 performance
> improvement by going to RAID0.
>
> What you're probably seeing is that with RAID0, you read from one disk for the
> first "chunk", the other disk for the second "chunk" and so on.  If the disks
> are on separate controllers, then these two reads can happen simultaneously.
> Hence, the 2:1 speed improvement that I saw.  In your case, however, the
> reads are done serially.  So, it reads the first chunk from one disk, then it
> reads the second chunk from the other disk afterwards.  So, half the time you
> read at 8.5MB/sec and the other half the time you read at 10.5MB/sec, and as
> you observed, you get an average of 9.5MB/sec.

(yes, SCSI can handle mulitple simultaneous transactions, but IDE can't.
SCSI is a proper bus, whereas IDE is pretty much a simple drive interface.
It's a damn shame that UDMA/EIDE disks are so bloody cheap compared to
SCSI disks)

I would have thought that he WOULD get a speed up if the disks were each
on a seperate IDE controller/channel. I'm looking at doing something like
this using two identical UDMA disks on my K6-2 machine. Only AUS$800
(US$500?) for 15.2G with probably over 20MB/s :)

I might be completely wrong though. I've never tried this and I'm still
researching. I would prefer to be corrected _before_ I hand over my money.

bye

--
8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          \7\  LINUX: because geeks  \7\  Ian Tester

------------------------------

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Windows & Linux File Transfer ?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:06:09 -1000

Samba, ships on the Redhat CD or http://www.samba.org

From: James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GTE flamed linux for BillG
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 03:04:25 GMT

My isp, mtt.ca, will also terminate adsl service if the account is using
anything other than windows. Apparently, MacOs has crashed some systems,
and service is now discounted if the user has a mac or a linux box.