Linux-Hardware Digest #409, Volume #9            Thu, 11 Feb 99 17:13:46 EST

Contents:
  HELP! /dev/lp? (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: K6-2 and Linux, Are there any Bug? ("Tony Friery")
  Re: Can't ping my Gateway (but I can ping my own IP address) (Christian Bienia)
  Problems with soundcard es1371 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  irq timeouts ("Joachim")
  Re: Matrox G200 AGP card? (Mark Paulus)
  FOR SALE: ROCKETPORT (Bill Tay)
  Changing Master Boot Record ("Ahmed Abukmail")
  LINUX on 680x0 parallel computer system ("Norm Dresner")
  Re: Quake II and non-Voodoo OpenGL (Chris Cox)
  re: SB PCI Audio 64 ("David Boyd")
  Re: HP Laserjet IIP + linux ("lode")
  error when recompiling the kernel with ASUS TX97 -LE (Gaetan Meister)
  Re: Thinkpad i Series and Red Hat 5.2 (doug)
  SMC Ether EZ 10/100 Network Card ("Hans Smith")
  Internal ATAPI zip incompatible? (Carlos Antunes dos Santos)
  Re: Terminals (sources of used terminals) (Steven Blair)
  Linux X on Artist Eton Pro notebook w/ATI chipset?? (Lars Weber)
  Video Card(s)... (Oana Veliche)
  Re: Problems with IBM Aptiva ("Richard Payne")
  Teles ISDN Adapter IRQ? (Alex Korves)
  Trouble detecting ModemBlaster Modem under Linux (Stephen Proctor)
  Re: Which laptop ("Richard Payne")
  Re: maestro 32/96 - working anywhow,anywhere? ("Andreas Hofmann")

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP! /dev/lp?
Date: 11 Feb 1999 18:03:14 GMT

Hi.

I have a printer on LPT1 (/dev/lp0) and no LPT2 or LPT3 ports on my
hardware. Just LPT1.

I have a printer on LPT1 which I know that Linux can't use because it's
a Winprinter.

The weird thing is that if I run printtool, it says that Linux has
detected /dev/lp1 but not 0 or 2. Why does it see a /dev/lp1 and not a
/dev/lp0? All of my I/O addrs, DMA, and IRQ values are normal default
values.

Oh yea, I'm running RedHat Linux 5.2 with 2.0.36 kernel.

Thanks.
Mark

------------------------------

From: "Tony Friery" <tony_@_basoft_d0t_enta_d0t_net>
Subject: Re: K6-2 and Linux, Are there any Bug?
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 10 Feb 1999 16:02:25 GMT

I also had trouble using Loadlin *before* Win. Had to do reboot to DOS
after windows before LOADLIN. Never did find out why, though, but perhaps
this was due to my HP 7100+ CD Writer which required initialising before
Linux would recognise it, and unfortunately it was the drivers in Win which
did this (Don't have any trouble with an 8100 though)! This was just a
plain vanilla P166 64MB machine with *no* P&P cards or anyhing else weird.

Tony.

Rick Onanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Javier Pulido wrote:
>
> > ĦĦSOS!!
> >
> > Problems with the booting of linux in a computer AMD K6-2 (300 MHz)
with
> > i430TX (no AGP) and 128 MB, two hard drives and 1 CDROM.  Can you help
me?

[Snip]

> I have heard of someone who ran loadlin similar to you (boot into win,
then
> restart in dos mode) and it wouldn't work.  It did work, however, if they
didn't
> boot into win first - do a cold boot, and when it says starting windows
9x, hist
> the F8 key, and choose "Command Prompt Only", or even better (probably
more
> likely to work:): "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only."  The latter will
totally skip
[Lots Snipped]

------------------------------

From: Christian Bienia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Can't ping my Gateway (but I can ping my own IP address)
Date: 10 Feb 1999 16:09:03 GMT

Gary Spivey wrote:

> Yes,
> everything is physically connected. If I take linux down and bring up
> Windows 95, everything works fine.
> If I ifconfig down the lo interface, I can no longer ping myself or the
> broadcast address. So it appears that the problem may be somewhere in the
> card setup rather than in the network setup.

As far as I know, this is a bug in pppd 2.3.5. Everything seems to work
fine (routes, ifconfig, ...), but no data is transferred.
Try this workaround: Simply replace "crtscts" with "xonxoff".
If it worked well, please post!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Problems with soundcard es1371
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:04:47 GMT

Hi,

I installed RedHat-5.2 on my new machine and cannot configure
sound in a proper way. When I run sndconfig, it correctly detects
my onboard es1371 soundcard and asks me to listen for a sample.
I can hear the sample, but the quality is horrible: a lot of noise
and distortion. However, when I play CD using xplaycd, everything is
fine. Did anybody have such a problem?

Just for reference, here is the line from my conf.modules:
    alias sound es1371

Thanks for the help.
Vadim

From: "Joachim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: irq timeouts
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:19:59 +0100

hello,

I've asked this question a few times in other lists but
nobody seems to know a solution or the problem
I've keep getting (and some other people with who i've
got in contact with because of this problem)
the following messages on our console (10)

irq timeout: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
hda: disabled DMA: reset: success
someone also made a notice that 2.1.x-kernel with x < 102
hade some bugs with the ide-driver.
but i've checked with the latest kernel and with 2.0.33
and this doesn't solve the problems.
So if someone here would know something more about
this feel free to respond.

Thank you verry much,
Greets Jo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Paulus)
Subject: Re: Matrox G200 AGP card?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:12:38 GMT

You are going to need to upgrade your XFree86 stuff
to 3.3.3.1.  Check out http://www.XFRee86.org for
more info.  If you are running Redhat, you can get the
updates as RPMs from http://updates.redhat.com or one
of it's mirrors (I use ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/redhat/updates
myself).

****   Please remove the NO.SPAM when replying   ****

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Tay)
Crossposted-To:
misc.forsale.computers.net-hardware,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.ras,microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.ras
Subject: FOR SALE: ROCKETPORT
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:13:57 GMT

RocketPort Multiport Serial Card

Model # DEB1984 16-Port PCI Controller with RS232 Distribution Box.

Make best offers to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks,

Bill
*Please Note:  REMOVE "nospam." from the email address to reply.

--
---
"what you don't know won't hurt."

------------------------------

From: "Ahmed Abukmail" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Changing Master Boot Record
Date: 10 Feb 1999 15:55:27 GMT

Hi, I have recently finished configuring my laptop with both Linux and 98,
but currently I am booting from a floppy to get into linux. I would like to
install lilo on the master boot record, I appreciate any help:

I have  /dev/hda1  (Win 98)
        /dev/hda2  (Linux Native)
        /dev/hda3  (Linux Swap)

In addition and this is really the most IMPORTANT question, I would like to
backup the old MBR on /dev/hda, in case I want to reinstall it later if I
decide to remove linux and dedicate another machine for it, and just use
the laptop for 98 only. Also, if you know that answer to this, can you give
me some help on how to reinstall the old MBR back on /dev/hda.....

Thank you very much

Ahmed

From: "Norm Dresner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LINUX on 680x0 parallel computer system
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:27:41 GMT

I'm contemplating buying a (used) parallel computer which consists of a '30
main CPU and several '40 slaves.  This isn't quite a symmetric
multi-processor, but I certainly could use the '30 as, say, a disk and
general I/O server slaved to the others.  Does anyone have any thoughts on
the feasubility of this project/madness?

        Norm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Cox)
Subject: Re: Quake II and non-Voodoo OpenGL
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:32:53 GMT

On Mon, 08 Feb 1999 19:18:27 -0700, Vladimir Florinski
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > I would like to run Quake II using by STB Velocity 4400 card using
OpenGL
> > drivers.  Will this work?
> >
> No, only 3Dfx released their library (glide) for Linux. Voodoos are
the only
> cards that do OpenGL, Rendition and others are not supported.

Oops...be careful.  You're assuming not buying a 3rd party
solution.  Metro-X and Xi Graphics have OpenGL solutions
either available or almost available which support a larger
varietly of HW.

Regards,
Chris

------------------------------

From: "David Boyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: re: SB PCI Audio 64
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:33:26 -0000

Anyone been able to get this popular audio chip working on linux.
In any form even just emulating a 16 bit card or SB Pro?

I'm not holding my breath on this one because even dos needs a utiltiy to
get it to recognise the card as a standard SB.

Since I'm running linux with lilo I can't load this utilility in dos then
switch to Linux.

btw I'm using suse 5.3.

------------------------------

From: "lode" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Laserjet IIP + linux
Date: 11 Feb 1999 20:18:03 GMT

actually mine is an IIP+, and that works without any special tricks

Chris Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Gaetan Meister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: error when recompiling the kernel with ASUS TX97 -LE
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:12:13 +0000

Hi Everybody

When I try to recompile and compress the kernel by doing a "make zImage" or
"make bzImage", I have the following error message:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.36/arch/i386/lib'
make all_targets
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.36/arch/i386/lib'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.0.36/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
-fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -m486 -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2
-malign-functions=2 -DCPU=586   -c -o checksum.o checksum.c
checksum.c:200: redefinition of `csum_partial_copy'
checksum.c:105: `csum_partial_copy' previously defined here
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:188: Fatal error: Symbol csum_partial_copy already defined.
make[2]: *** [checksum.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.36/arch/i386/lib'
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.36/arch/i386/lib'
make: *** [_dir_arch/i386/lib] Error 2

It happens with kernel 2.0.36 & 2.2.1 so I can't recompile my kernel.

I've been told this could be an issue with the BIOS on my mbd (ASUS TX97 -LE)
but the BIOS is updated, there's only one version.

Did u already experience this problem before ??? Can you help me ???

Thanks in advance
reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Thinkpad i Series and Red Hat 5.2
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:28:43 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Anyone ever get Red Hat (5.2) runnig on the new IBM Thinkpads (i
> series). I am preparing to purchase a new laptop and wanted to see if
> anyone has run into problems with this model Thinkpad.
>
> Thanks

a couple people seem to...

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

------------------------------

From: "Hans Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: SMC Ether EZ 10/100 Network Card
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:51:34 -0500

My OpenLinux installation went very well, the only thing that did not
install properly was my NIC.  I have a SMC EZ 10/100 (SMC1211tx), and
basically, COL didn't detect it during the installation, and when booting it
says eth0 is not present.  If anyone can point me in the right direction, it
would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Hans

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carlos Antunes dos Santos)
Subject: Internal ATAPI zip incompatible?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:52:41 -0800

I have the same problem and my ZIP drive is from
IOMEGA....
 I have used kernels 2.0.36, 2.1.132 and 2.2.1 with
ide-floppy or
 ide-scsi and the problem persists....

 As and example when I use kernel 2.1.132 with
ide-floppy and
ide-scsi as modules I get when I boot:

      kernel: PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev
39

      kernel: PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe
irqs later

      kernel: ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS
settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio

      kernel: ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS
settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio

      kernel: hda: ST33221A, ATA DISK drive

      kernel: hdb: Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 8100,
ATAPI CDROM drive

      kernel: hdc: SAMSUNG SW0434A (4.3GB), ATA DISK
drive

      kernel: hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI Floppy, ATAPI
FLOPPY drive

      kernel: ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14

      kernel: ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

      later doing an modprobe ide-floppy results in:

      hdd: The drive reports both 100663296 and
100646912 bytes as its capacity

      hdd: hdd1 hdd2 hdd3 hdd4

      when I try the ide-scsi module the message is:

      hdd:<3>ide-scsi: hdd: unsupported command in
request queue (0)
      end_request: I/O error, dev 16:40 (hdd), sector 0

      unable to read partition table scsi0 : SCSI host
adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
      scsi : 1 host.

      Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 Rev: 13.A

      Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0,
channel 0, id 0, lun 0
      SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors=
196576 [95 MB] [0.1 GB]
      sda: Write Protect is off

      sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4

      In both cases note the 4 partions reported....
but the ZIP disks are
      brand new from IOMEGA.
      When I use fdisk it reports 4 partitions with
lost of errors and when
      I try to mount the disks it says there is no
msdos
      filesystem in the disk.

      Any help is welcome...
      Thanks,
      C.A. Santos

*** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ***

------------------------------

From: Steven Blair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.terminals,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.sco.programmer,comp.sys.hp.hpux
Subject: Re: Terminals (sources of used terminals)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:21:14 -0800

Steve Wertz wrote:

> What I'd *really* like is some way to use a Wyse or Link keyboard on
> my PC's.  Good keyboards are impossible to find anymore, wyse
> and link keyboards are everywhere though.  Anybody know how to do
> it?  It generates scan-codes I beleive...  I contacted Wyse and they
> said it was "impossible".

Steve,

Try looking at this URL. I have one and it is as good as my old Northgate
Omnikey.

http://www.monu-cad.com/keyboard.htm

Steve

------------------------------

From: Lars Weber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Linux X on Artist Eton Pro notebook w/ATI chipset??
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:53:24 +0100

hi, i've been trying for quite a while to get Xfree 3.3.3 running on an
Artist notebook by Maxdata, model Eton Pro.
the chipset is an 4MB ATI Rage LT Pro AGP 2x, which is said to be
supported but it won't work properly with the tft display.
distribution is S.u.S.E. 6.0 German version. Xfree 3.3.3, like i said.
i had trouble like that with another Artist notebook from the Bristol
series before and i got to get it working but this one is driving me
nuts.
so if anyone has experience with or at least a hint for that notebook,
chipset, whatever could be of any help, please let me know....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Oana Veliche)
Subject: Video Card(s)...
Date: 10 Feb 1999 17:07:49 GMT

  Hi!  Does anybody know if the current XFree86 release supports dual video cards? Or
if I can
 somehow install two cards in my computer and select the one I want to use rom the
BIOS?
  The problem is that I have e pretty decent DVD palyback under Windows with my Mpact
2D/3D/DVD
card, but since I need to change to Linux and this specific card is not supported, I
need to
either use a second card, or change this one completely; and I haven't been able to
find one
supported by XFree86 AND offering hardware DVD palyback...
  Any help is appreciated, as I really need to change to Linux pretty soon...
  Razvan.

------------------------------

From: "Richard Payne" <payner at timken dot com>
Subject: Re: Problems with IBM Aptiva
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:36:07 -0500

Frederico Borelli wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hello ... i have an IBM Aptiva 2134 but i have problems with it .
>My Mwave audio card  is not compatible with Linux .
>I used OS/2 and never had problems .
>But i believe in Linux power, and i don't wanna leave it by this problem

I'm afraid there is not much you can do. The MWave modems that IBM uses
(I've got a ThinkPad 600 with on) are currently useless under Linux. They
are software modems (Not winmodems cause their is DOS/NT drivers),
and until IBM produces Linux drivers you're stuck. You could always
buy another modem for this.

--
Rich Payne
(Speaking for myself, not my employer)

Looking for Alpha-Linux info?
http://www.alphalinux.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Korves)
Subject: Teles ISDN Adapter IRQ?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:12:03 +0100

Hey.

My problem:
I have an teles ISDN adapter (16.3 ISA - not PnPray), compiled Hisax
into the kernel (2.0.34 RedHat 5.1) and at every boot time there is the
error message "Card not found on IRQ(15)" or so....
But the IRQ for this card is fixed to 9?!?
How can I correct this? Lilo Append Parameters?

(Sorry for my Bad english - come from Germany...)

Alex

------------------------------

From: Stephen Proctor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux
Subject: Trouble detecting ModemBlaster Modem under Linux
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:18:19 -0800

==============78EBC3276743E497C5D75368

==============78EBC3276743E497C5D75368

Greetings,

I am having a terrible time trying to get my Linux OS to recognize my internal
modem blaster 56K PCI modem.  I don't believe it is a Winmodem as it has a 16550A
UART chip and does not specify that Win95 is required, etc.

I am running RedHat Linux 5.1 (kernel 2.0.34)

Some of the things I have tried:

o I have tried using the pnpdump utility to "find" the modem, but to no avail.

o Also, setserial does not detect it either.  Not suprisingly, the minicom program
  also is not able to communicate with it.

o I doubt that there is any interrupt conflict.  I have disabled all other serial
  ports (in the BIOS) except COM1 which is used for the mouse.
  I don't see an interrupt 3 under the /proc/interrupts output, which is what I
  would have expected for the modem.

Has anyone out there gotten the ModemBlaster modem to work under Linux?

If so, please show me the light!

Thanks for any help that comes my way.

Regards, Steve

PS:  I have attached output from /proc/pci, /proc/interrupts, and dmesg.  Maybe
     someone can spot the problem from this information.

# cat /proc/pci
PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device  16, function  0:
    Serial controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 1).
      Vendor id=127a. Device id=1005.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.
Latency=64.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfffb0000.
  Bus  0, device  13, function  0:
    Display controller: Texas Instruments TVP4020 Permedia 2 (rev 1).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master Capable.
Latency=66.  Min Gnt=192.Max Lat=192.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xffbc0000.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xff000000.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfe800000.
  Bus  0, device   8, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: ATI 215CT222 (rev 9).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 254.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfb000000.
      I/O at 0xfc00.
  Bus  0, device   7, function  0:
    ISA bridge: Intel 82371 Triton PIIX (rev 2).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.  No bursts.
  Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
    Host bridge: Intel 82437 (rev 2).
      Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.

# cat /proc/interrupts
 0:     381507   timer
 1:       2511   keyboard
 2:          0   cascade
 4:       6984 + serial
 8:          1 + rtc
13:          1   math error
14:      27673 + ide0
15:          0 + ide1

# dmesg
Console: 16 point font, 400 scans
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25, 1 virtual console (max 63)
pcibios_init : BIOS32 Service Directory structure at 0x000fc600
pcibios_init : BIOS32 Service Directory entry at 0xfc610
pcibios_init : PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfc631
Probing PCI hardware.
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 52.84 BogoMIPS
Memory: 63160k/65536k available (732k kernel code, 384k reserved, 1260k data)
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_5.6.0 initialized
Checking 386/387 coupling... Ok, fpu using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.
Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled.
alias mapping IDT readonly ...  ... done
Linux version 2.0.34 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version 2.7.2.3) #1 Fri May 8
16:05:57 EDT 1998
Starting kswapd v 1.4.2.2
Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
Real Time Clock Driver v1.07
Ramdisk driver initialized : 16 ramdisks of 4096K size
ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 57
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf
hda: Maxtor 90720D5, 6869MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=875/255/63, DMA
hdb: ST33240A, 3077MB w/0kB Cache, CHS=781/128/63
hdd: BCD 20XB CD-ROM, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide2: ports already in use, skipping probe
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M, fd1 is 1.2M
FDC 0 is a National Semiconductor PC87306
md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 > hda3 hda4
 hdb: hdb1 hdb2 < hdb5 hdb6 hdb7 hdb8 >
Adding Swap: 96732k swap-space (priority -1)
sysctl: ip forwarding off
Swansea University Computer Society IPX 0.34 for NET3.035
IPX Portions Copyright (c) 1995 Caldera, Inc.
Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035
=================================== end of attachments =============================

From: "Richard Payne" <payner at timken dot com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Which laptop
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:39:32 -0500

Olivier Treger wrote in message <79ruhe$3ie$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi there,
>
>I'm just about to buy a usd laptop (not too old however) and I wonder which
of
>Compaq or HP (or even IBM) could be the best.
>
>Did anyone experiment something nice?
>
>Thxs for help
>Olivier_in_Paris

I've had both a ThinkPad 760(ED and XD) and a 600 working
with Linux. The sound will work but it takes a little effort
on your part. The modem is useless as it's MWave, and there's
currently no driver. You may want to check out this site:

From: "Andreas Hofmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: maestro 32/96 - working anywhow,anywhere?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 22:29:45 +0100

try the cs4232 sound driver. it should detect the Maestro card without the
need of further plug'n'play software like isapnp etc.
Andreas
Oliver Wissdorf schrieb in Nachricht
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...