Linux-Hardware Digest #414, Volume #9            Fri, 12 Feb 99 19:13:27 EST

Contents:
  Re: HP Laserjet IIP + linux (Daniel Ganek)
  Re: Alphas... ("Richard Payne")
  Re: Cd-writer under linux (Peter Stein)
  How do you operate and optical jukebox in linux? (Daniel Tisserand)
  Re: SBLive! & Linux? (Martin Adler)
  IBM servers (Tim Moss)
  Re: ADSL and Linux (Craig Ruff)
  Re: ADSL and Linux (Gary Momarison)
  Re: Dual Processor Support (Allen)
  Re: Finding EDO Memory with Parity? (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Printers again: nothing but color (Matthew C Weigel)
  Re: Decent case? (Allen)
  Re: Question about modem (Struan Donald)
  Re: Does Linux really need BIOS ? (James Youngman)
  Re: creating a bootable CD (James Youngman)
  Re: Interesting modem problem (Chris Leow)
  [Q] printing image from commandline (Vachi)
  SiS 6215 Display card with XWindow ? (Ferelloc)
  Re: Adaptec 2940UW w/RH5.2 (Mike M)
  diamond sonic (j)
  Re: Hardware Specification for Linux Web Server (Thomas Neurauter)
  Re: Problems with SB64PCI (Lordaerom)
  S3 video card conflicts with modem... (Matthew Callaway)
  Re: Interesting modem problem (Rob Clark)

From: Daniel Ganek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Laserjet IIP + linux
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 10:13:29 -0500

Chris Milne wrote:

> is anyone using an HP Laserjet IIP successfully under linux ? i've used
> RH's printtool to configure it but it prints garbage for the most part.
> i've attempted to solve the problem by reducing the max file size sent
> to the printer since its only got 256K mem but no luck.
> suggestions welcome,
>
> chris

I have a IIP with 1 Meg and it works fine. The fonts too big
for my taste but I assume that a simple configuration parameter (right?).

You might just adding more mem - it can't be that expensive
these days, can it?

/dan

------------------------------

From: "Richard Payne" <payner at timken dot com>
Subject: Re: Alphas...
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:37:12 -0500

Your best place for these is at the web auction houses.
There's a list of some of them at:

http://www.alphalinux.org/hardware/vendors.shtml

--
Rich Payne
(Speaking for myself, not my employer)

Looking for Alpha-Linux info?
http://www.alphalinux.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Stein)
Subject: Re: Cd-writer under linux
Date: 12 Feb 1999 17:17:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Shashank Misra  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>The page listing CD-R's and CD-RW's supported is at
>
>http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/faq05.html#[5-1]
>
>I do not have a CD-R or RW drive, thus cannot recommend one. The Adaptec
>card is a good one and should work no problem.

I don't know which Adaptec you're refering to, but you can usually
find a superior Symbios controller for much less. Both Asus and Tekram
make high quality controllers which can be bought for a reasonable
price.

Peter Stein

From: Daniel Tisserand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do you operate and optical jukebox in linux?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:09:33 -0600

I have a 200 disk optical jukebox made by hewlett packard.  We are
interested in moving it from our HPUX server to one of our linux boxes.
Is there any software or drivers to control it.  The entire box is SCSI.
It has 4 SCSI drives and 1 SCSI device for the robot arm.  Please help.

Daniel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Adler)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,alt.os.linux.caldera,cybergate.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: SBLive! & Linux?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:16:30 GMT

Me Three!

Martin Adler

------------------------------

From: Tim Moss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: IBM servers
Date: 12 Feb 1999 09:24:10 PST

Are IBM Netfinity 5000 servers compatible with Red Hat 5.2?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craig Ruff)
Subject: Re: ADSL and Linux
Date: 12 Feb 1999 11:42:45 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Clark  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The rep at Soutwestern Bell keeps referring to Linux
>as a "card" that should still work. After numerous attempts
>to explain that it is an OS, he thinks I am running UNIX...

You are running Unix. :-)

As the other responser said, get the external modem variety,
which connects via Ethernet.  I run RedHat 5.2 fine with
the DHCP enabled for eth0, and an alias for a private IP
range on eth0:0 so that I can talk between the computers
in the house.  I have to do this because USWest.net insists
on giving out addresses on different subnets most of the time.
--
Craig Ruff              NCAR                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(303) 497-1211          P.O. Box 3000

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Feb 1999 10:40:29 -0800

David Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm looking into getting set-up with ADSL for my connection,
> but no one seems to be able to tell me if it will work with
> Linux. The rep at Soutwestern Bell keeps referring to Linux
> as a "card" that should still work. After numerous attempts
> to explain that it is an OS, he thinks I am running UNIX...
>
> So has anyone out there set-up their Linux box with ADSL
> successfully? If so, which DSL modem do you have? Any
> problems with it? Thanks in advance...

Tell them: "I don't use Windows; I'm running the Linux operating
system, a clone of the Unix operating system."  They might be
more likely to know about Unix, since some of their business
customers are likely to have that.  If they don't know what
Linux or Unix are, at least they'll know your talking a
non-Windows operating system.  Pressure them to support you.
If they won't, tell them no thanks. Then if you've really got
to "go along to get along", call them back a day later and
play their game.

Yes, lots of people are using xDSL from Linux. See

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/modems.html

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Dual Processor Support
Date: 12 Feb 1999 18:59:32 GMT

        Not so, there are a few dual Slot-One motherboards with the GX
chipset, ie, that one, and the Tyan Thunder 100 DLUAN to name a few...
  The Tyan board already has the built-in SCSI, and 10/100 ethernet,
+sound too :-)

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:14:16 +0100, Anders Østerholt
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Ron Liddle - Tactics wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me how well Linux scales with dual processors.
>> Specifically, I'm looking at
>>
>> Dual PII 400
>> Supermicro P6DGS (GX chipset)
>
>I think you'll need xeon prosessors (slot 2) for the GX chipset,
>or buy mb with BX chipset.
>Anders
>

>> Dual channel Adaptec UWSCSI (7895)
>> 256 MB 100mhz RAM
>> 8MB Matrox Millenium G200 video
>>
>> I plan on using this to serve an Oracle application.
>>
>> Any suggestions to a different configuration would be welcome.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Ron Liddle     Tactics Inc.
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]    (803)278-5657

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
fight spam everywhere!!!

                The irony is that Bill Gates claims to making a
                         stable operating system and
             Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world.

                 Linux; The Official OS of the New Millennium

                          http://www.linuxlink.com

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Finding EDO Memory with Parity?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:08:48 +0100

Jon McLin wrote:

> Can someone point me to a source for EDO SIMMs with parity?  I wish
> to add another 64 MB to my DELL.    Adding non-parity EDO would force
> me to disable the ECC.

Are you really sure that you have EDO simms with parity? I didn't know
that EDO with parity existed. Maybe you have Fast Page memory with
parity?

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew C Weigel)
Subject: Printers again: nothing but color
Date: 12 Feb 1999 20:50:58 GMT

OK, so I've got a NeXTstation with a NeXT laser printer on which I can print
b&w stuff, no problem.

However, I occasionally get a hankering to print *color* stuff.  And I'm
getting an old 486 that will be getting Linux installed, and I am seriously
considering trying to pick up a cheapish color printer and attaching it to
said 486.  Now, obviously, if I want anything b&w the laser printer will (at
7-8 ppm) be the choice; so I want a printer that will *only* do color
prints.

So, I looked at the GS documentation like any good little UNIX boy, and I
discovered that searching for a good printer that way was inefficient -- it
would be much faster to narrow down the search to generally good & cheapish
printers, and then narrow it down to generally good cheapish *compatible*
printers.

What printers can people recommend that meet some of the (unordered)
criteria below:

        o sub-$250
        o reliable; I don't have time to muck with the insides of a printer
                along with everything else
        o nice print-outs -- I play at art occasionally
        o supported using gs (Alladin GS is fine)

The main printers I've considered thus far are:

o NeXT Color LaserJet printer (on the NeXTstation -- but poor quality)
o Lexmark 3200 white (I have considered installing OS/2 on the 486 to get
        support for this one, has anyone got this one to work?)
o Epson [46]40 (heard that it's OK for color with good paper, unreliable)
o HP's (no specific models, also heard uses some proprietary formats)

ANy suggestions, ideas?
--
/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
--Matthew                   OS/2    |     Lignux           Lab Consultant--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Decent case?
Date: 12 Feb 1999 19:20:59 GMT

Soft boot requires an ATX power supply, but can be put in an AT case,
so which ever you are comfortable with to get to that type of power
supply...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Struan Donald)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,hk.comp.pc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Question about modem
Date: 12 Feb 1999 20:15:55 -0000

According to None <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Try Control Panel->Modem->Properties->Speaker Volume.
>If this doesn't work, try add "ATM0" in Extra Setting at Connection
>Tab->Advance.
>
>Chan, Siu-Kei ¼¶¼g©ó¤å³¹ <7a04kj$g0t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>>Would anyone can tell me how to shut the squeeze noise of my modem during
>>the dial-up process. My modem is the Diamond SupraExpress 33.6.
>>Please inform me by e-mail. Thanks!!

Of course if you're using linux then you want to edit the chatscript
(in /etc/ppp on my RedHat 5.1 box) to something like this:

=============== start

TIMEOUT 10
ABORT ERROR
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
REPORT CARRIER
REPORT CONNECT
"" "ATZ"
OK "ATM0"
OK "ATDxxxxxxxxxx"
TIMEOUT 75
CONNECT

==================== end

where "ATM0" is the inportant bit. Check the AT commands in the manual
to be sure but this works for me.

--
Struan Donald
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Linux really need BIOS ?
Date: 11 Feb 1999 22:07:48 +0000

mkk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi everybody
>    My understanding is that Linux only needs BIOS so that it can get
> loaded and never after that. I've two drives the first one accessible to
> BIOS the second one not, so if I put LILO and /boot partition on the
> first drive and / on the second drive I should be OK. I've RH 5.1 ( on
> disk one ) now and going for RH 5.2 . BTW how much space do I need for
> the /boot partition assuming I may have upto 3 kernal versions.

If you get your LILO config right, this will work.

# ls -s /boot
total 3158
 105 System.map-2.0.36-0.7      1 os2_d.b
   1 boot.0300                447 vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
   1 boot.0301                512 vmlinuz-2.1.129
   5 boot.b                   514 vmlinuz-2.2.0
   1 chain.b                  514 vmlinuz-2.2.0.b
  12 lost+found               483 vmlinuz-2.2.1
  55 map                      495 vmlinuz-2.2.1.old
  12 module-info-2.0.36-0.7

--
ACTUALLY reachable as @free-lunch.demon.(whitehouse)co.uk:james+usenet

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: creating a bootable CD
Date: 11 Feb 1999 22:04:51 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Stein) writes:

> I've scoured the ftp archives for a HOWTO and searched the WWW, but can't
> find any reference to a procedure for creating a bootable Linux CD. I
> have found procedures for other OSes, but not Linux. If you have info
> please send email. Thanks.

man mkisofs

From: Chris Leow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting modem problem
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:58:05 +0000

Oh.. it's budget, and when I say characters, I mean AT commands.

------------------------------

From: Vachi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Q] printing image from commandline
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 06:44:03 +0900

Hi everybody,
   Sorry for another question. I am still new to linux
and the printing-howto did not contain the information.
How can I print out image file like JPEG from command
line? I tried lpr filename.jpg but it does nothing. it
does not put the file in printing queue. Is the only way
is to print it from programs' menu?
   I'm using Canon BJ-240 on linux 2.0.36. The printcap
is as follow:
(I'm using aps filter 4.91)

ascii|lp1|bj200-a4-ascii-mono|bj200 ascii mono:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/bj200-a4-ascii-mono:\
        :lf=/usr/spool/bj200-a4-ascii-mono/log:\
        :af=/usr/spool/bj200-a4-ascii-mono/acct:\

:if=/usr/lib/aps-4.91/filter/aps-bj200-a4-ascii-mono:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:
#
lp|lp2|bj200-a4-auto-mono|bj200 auto mono:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/bj200-a4-auto-mono:\
        :lf=/usr/spool/bj200-a4-auto-mono/log:\
        :af=/usr/spool/bj200-a4-auto-mono/acct:\

:if=/usr/lib/aps-4.91/filter/aps-bj200-a4-auto-mono:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:
#
lp3|bj200-a4-ascii-color|bj200 ascii color:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/bj200-a4-ascii-color:\
        :lf=/usr/spool/bj200-a4-ascii-color/log:\
        :af=/usr/spool/bj200-a4-ascii-color/acct:\

:if=/usr/lib/aps-4.91/filter/aps-bj200-a4-ascii-color:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:
#
lp4|bj200-a4-auto-color|bj200 auto color:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/bj200-a4-auto-color:\
        :lf=/usr/spool/bj200-a4-auto-color/log:\
        :af=/usr/spool/bj200-a4-auto-color/acct:\
:if=/usr/lib/aps-4.91/filter/aps-bj200-a4-auto-color:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:
#
raw|lp5|bj200-a4-raw|bj200 auto raw:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/bj200-raw:\
        :lf=/usr/spool/bj200-raw/log:\
        :af=/usr/spool/bj200-raw/acct:\
        :if=/usr/lib/aps-4.91/filter/aps-bj200-a4-raw:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

------------------------------

From: Ferelloc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SiS 6215 Display card with XWindow ?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:43:07 +0100

SiS 6215 Display 1Mb
After longs times spend to try to configure Linux (XF86Setup / slackware
3.35 /Redhat 5.2),
the best result is 640x480 vga server !!!

I don't know how ! help !

------------------------------

From: Mike M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adaptec 2940UW w/RH5.2
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:02:58 GMT

Will the AIC9XXX module work for rh 5.1 also?  I'm running AIC7XXX and I had a
hell of a time to install off of the cd-rom (it's also SCSI).

Mike

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:46:21 -0800
From: j <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: diamond sonic

Anyone get a diamond sonic to work under linux 2.2.1?

j.

------------------------------

From: Thomas Neurauter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware Specification for Linux Web Server
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:57:24 +0100

~The Seventh Sign ~ wrote:

> What happened when you run CGI scripts on it?

Well, CGI scripts in Perl took some time.
CGIs coded in C ran perfectly.

Although hardware costs are very low nowadays,
I always have to smile by myself when reading
of people investing in double PIIs with 450 MHz,
half a gig of memory and an awful amount of
diskspace.

It simply is not necessary half the time.
Therefore we use Linux, don't we?

:-) Thomas

> Thomas Neurauter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> :Peter Stephen Drage wrote:
> :>
> :> I am going to be using it for development, my external site is hosted on
> :> linux server and I want to mirror this at home, so that I can develop
> :> scripts and test them with out the need to be online.
> :
> :For your jobs you should simply get a
> :PII-350 with 128MB memory. This will do
> :far more than you said you're going to do.
> :
> :I was running 12 virtual web-hosts on
> :a 486/66 with 32 MB memory and 1,5 GB disks.
> :It worked fine (except running perl-scripts
> :for cgis and other purposes).

      a h n e t - Gruppe | Digitale Medien

Obere Donaustrasse 4       t 43.732.715355
A-4040 Linz                f 43.732.730970
                           m 43.676.5400296
http://www.ahnet.at        e [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ahnet Gruppe der Hofmueller Repro GmbH & CoKG

------------------------------

From: Lordaerom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with SB64PCI
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:39:06 GMT

Heiner Kallweit wrote:

> > Hi,
> > recently I bought the SB64PCI from Creative and it works fine under
> > NT4.0 but so far I'm not able to get it to work under Linux. The system
> > detects the card with the correct I/O-Port (6200) and IRQ (11) (cat
> > /proc/pci) and the insmod sound-command does not fail but when I cat
> > /dev/sndstat it tells me that there are no audio-devices etc.
> My SB 64 PCI works fine with 2.2.1 kernel. You are right, the sndstat
> device is not supported by the driver. Try playing a WAV or similar via

Ohh. You mean /dev/sndstat will not give the same output on a properely
configured AWE64 under kernel 2.2.1 as it might under 2.0.36? I was
worrying about that.  My sound card palys everything just fine, but when
I did 'cat /dev/sndstat' the response was different and I got sorta
worried. ah well =]

From: Matthew Callaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: S3 video card conflicts with modem...
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 08:02:42 -0600

    Well, I've really got a tough one for you...at least I think it's tough.
First, some background on the problem.  It turns out that S3 video cards suck
just a bit more than I previously thought.  There's a bug in most all models of
S3 cards whereby they misuse memory that is normally reserved for serial or
communications ports ( the 0x2e0 - 0x3f0 range).  I first came upon this problem
with an NE 2000 ISA ethernet card that I obtained from a friend.  He had a
conflict with his S3 video card, and so reprogrammed the ISA card to use 0x2c0
as its base IO address (via some third party DOS software).  This worked fine,
and still works fine on.  Now I've got an old Creative Labs Modem Blaster 28.8
internal modem that wants to use com port 2, irq 3.  This together with an S3
Virge GX video card, on a different machine than the one that has the NE 2000
ethernet card.  I was going to try to set up the modem to use 0x2c0 on one
machine, just like the NE 2000 does on the other.  Well crap.  It conflicts.  I
can install the needed serial ports in windows only if I disable video
accleration, and use 256 color mode.  And even then I cannot use the modem.
Under linux I try to use the setserial command:

setserial -b /dev/modem port 0x2c0 irq 3

But when trying it out via minicom or kppp, I cannot get it to work.  Minicom
never shows "OK" in response to "AT" commands, and kppp just says "modem busy."

    So has anyone else had trouble like this?  Or does anyone know how to
reprogram IO on ISA cards?  What do I do next?  Windows won't let me change the
hardware resources for the COM ports, so I'm stuck there too.

Any ideas?

Matt

Oh, /dev/modem is a symlink to /dev/ttyS1 which is COM2, so I'm sure that's
correct.  And the jumpers look fine.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:43:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chris Leow  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[Very slow modem]

This is usually caused by a misconfigured/mismatched IRQ/address pair.
Check out "man setserial".

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html