Linux-Hardware Digest #442, Volume #9            Mon, 15 Feb 99 23:13:42 EST

Contents:
  Re:A SOLUTION FOR...3COM sells crippled modems (was 3COM "support" (fax modem
software for use in warp4?)) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Linux on PPC (Clint Davis)
  Re: 2-PC switch (Dave Records)
  Ensoniq AudioPCI, ALSA, .mid files (Gary I Kahn)
  Re: Some one can help me, with the TXPRO, on board video. (Shane Bearham)
  Re: Support for the NCR53C7XX in COmpaq Prosignia? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SiS 5597 / 5598 (Shane Bearham)
  Re: Epson Stylus 850 ("William H. Pridgen")
  HP 722C ("matthew.r.pavlovich.1")
  Re: Same Disk RAID and Mirroring (Andy Glew)
  Re: Ensoniq soundcard problem ("Mark Smith")
  Re: Linux drivers for TLAN NIC and Intel 82558 NIC ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: DDS3-Dat and Linux (Shane Bearham)
  Re: sda : unsupported sector size 16712447. (Shane Bearham)
  Re: Same Disk RAID and Mirroring (Andy Glew)
  Re: ?: marvel video cap under linux (Ian Tester)
  Re: To:  comp.os.linux.hardware ADMINISTRATOR (Miguel Cruz)
  Re: Compaq Proliant Server Smart-2 Array Controller ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Same Disk RAID and Mirroring (Andy Glew)
  Re: MX300 does it work in Linux¿ ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Problem installing Linux . Virtual Resolution Disabled
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Epson Stylus 850 (Pavel Greenfield)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.os2.setup.misc
Subject: Re:A SOLUTION FOR...3COM sells crippled modems (was 3COM "support" (fax modem
software for use in warp4?))
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 00:19:08 GMT

Hi John,
I saw your posting for the "no jumper" modem problems.

I have a current 568702 (Fax Modem, not Win Modem) pnp modem that I have
converted to work for a DOS
environment, so it should work for any other.

I added the jumper posts (the locations are on the board), and found that one
more change has to be added. Then the modem works like a non-pnp modem. For
just one million dollars (just kidding).....  There is a location where there
are 2 unused pads marked for a "R50" resistor that has to be added. All you
have to do is jumper with a very this wire across the pads and you now have a
"pnp" or a "non-pnp" modem.

Hope that helps you,
John Annison

PS.... be very, very careful when soldering, as the traces could be damaged
without the proper soldering equipment.

From: Clint Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on PPC
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 16:33:36 -0800

I have a "spare"  Bull Estrella PPC.

Is this a linux-able machine?  I have installed many
Intel linux boxes but never a PPC.

Clint

------------------------------

From: Dave Records <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2-PC switch
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 00:37:26 +0000

Brian Armstrong wrote:

> Dear All,
>
>         I have seen in France a switch that will connect
> 2 PC interfaces to one set of:
>
>         Monitor
>         Keyboard
>         Mouse
>
> For example, to have a linux and Windows box, and switch between them.
>
>         Does anyone know where such a thing is available ?
>
>         Is it for some reason a bad idea (eg blows monitors) ?
>
> Thanks
> Brian

Brian, I am using a 4x switch between two linux systems, an NT and a laptop
running either.  In most cases it works, depending on if you are all ps/2
or serial, etc.  If you need a mixture of ps/2 and serial, it'll cost a
little extra.  They are available in most mail order catalogs.  I purchased
mine at a place called Cables & Connector Technologies 800-452-8770.   They
are in Ohio.  They have 2, 4, 8 or cascadable switches for large numbers of
pc's.  You can switch from the keyboard or from the box.

Dave Records

--
                        Dave Records  -  Systems Analyst
                            Thirdware Systems Pty Ltd

------------------------------

From: Gary I Kahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ensoniq AudioPCI, ALSA, .mid files
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 19:42:37 -0500

I've got an AudioPCI card, the 1370 version.  I'm running kernel
2.2.1.  I tried the kernel's built-in sound driver, but was
unable to get either RealAudio or .mid files to make even a
peep.  Other audio formats (.voc, .au, .wav) worked, but not with
distortion.  I tried compiling with only support for the 1370
card, then added (in various combinations) FM, generic Yamaha,
and several other things.  No success.  (The patched version of)
RealAudio generated an Error dialog box, and playing a .mid file
said that the /dev/sequencer device hadn't been configured.

With the ALSA driver does better, but I still can't play .mid
files.  "playmidi" and "kmidi", and "timidity" all give lots of
errors about "no instrument mapped" and fail to put out any
noise.  RealAudio works well, and the other sound file formats
that I tried also worked well.

Can anyone help me get either the ALSA driver or the kernel
driver to play .mid files?

Thanks.
Gary

------------------------------

From: Shane Bearham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Some one can help me, with the TXPRO, on board video.
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:49:04 +1100

"Paulo M. Oliveira" wrote:

> I can´t configure the video on KDE and X-window on Linux RedHat 5.0.2 in the
> TXPro II, on board video, the resolution is very, very great... How I can
> resolve this and configure with 1024x780 or 800x600 resolutions...
>
> I´m greatfull someone can help me!
>
> Paulo M. Oliveira.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You should be trying to use the Sis chipset X-Server for this
>From memory 5597/8 is the chipset used on the board
from there it should be straight forward

I setup under Slackware 3.2 with the sis X-Server and alloted
4 Meg Ram to it..works great

Shane ();

--
+-----------------------------+----------------------------+
| Xtreme Systems Technologies  \  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |

  1:44pm  up 8 days, 17:26,  8 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.08, 0.13

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Support for the NCR53C7XX in COmpaq Prosignia?
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 02:43:49 GMT

Hi

This version does not support the embeded card. If you have any of the card
listed below you can install linux easily.

810,825,875,876 (All PCI Cards).

Regards

From: Shane Bearham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SiS 5597 / 5598
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:53:55 +1100

Barrie Wood wrote:

> Hello !
>
> Can seemingly only install Linux with VGA 16 colour display. The
> problem appears to be video chipset SiS 5597 / 55978. Is this
> unsupported by Linux. I have Xfree86 3.3.2 / Red Hat 5.1
>
> I believe their are commercial (and non-commercial ?) alternatives
> available. Is this the answer. I hope not as Linux is for home
> wokstation use and I am an impoverished student !!
>
> Would respondents be kind enough to reply via email to me in addition
> to posting to Usenet.
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> Barrie Wood
>
> Barrie Wood, Bacup, Lancashire, England.
>
> Nottingham Forest FC - Champions Division 1 - 1998
> Lancashire C.C.C. - Axa League and Nat West Trophy
> Winners 1998. Still the masters of one-day cricket !
>
> Yorkshire CCC - still a trophy free zone !!!!

Somewhere here I have the X-Server package you require, just have to
find it

NOTE you could also upgrade X .. But I think that to be an overkill

Shane ();

--
+-----------------------------+----------------------------+
| Xtreme Systems Technologies  \  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
|  Working towards the future.  |     +61-41-496-2569      |
|    www.xtremetech.com.au       \        ICQ 353180       |
+---------------------------------+------------------------+

  1:51pm  up 8 days, 17:33,  8 users,  load average: 0.30, 0.17, 0.13

------------------------------

From: "William H. Pridgen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus 850
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 20:54:45 -0600

Pavel Greenfield wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is the Stylus 850 supported under linux? I checked the compatibility
> list and it mentions Stylus 800. Does that mean the 800 series or just
> one printer?

You probably will need the latest version of Ghostscript.

> Some sites mention "uniprint" in Redhat. I have Slackware. Will it still
> work?

Uniprint is part of Ghostscript.

> Can I ever get Linux to a point where I can just browse the web, hit
> Print, and get a color printout?

Yes.  Take a look at --

http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~typhoon/

--
Bill Pridgen

From: "matthew.r.pavlovich.1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP 722C
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 20:56:19 -0500

Anyone have luck w/ that printer?  If so, which filter package?

-Matt

------------------------------

From: Andy Glew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,comp.arch.storage,alt.os.linux,comp.periphs
Subject: Re: Same Disk RAID and Mirroring
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 20:54:43 -0600

> >I believe that your calculations are incorrect (or based on a bad assumption).
> >Or, rather, they are correct, but don't state the relative cost:
> >1X (i.e. little or no relative cost) on read performance,
> >4X to write individual blocks,
> >3X to write 2 blocks (2.5X if you optimize by writing the 2 new, reading the other
>2 old, and parity write),
> >2.6X to write 3 blocks (1.6X if optimized),
> >1.2X to write 4 blocks, an entire RAID group,
>
> As noted elsewhere, your calculations are based on the idea that you could
> parallelize the operations.  You can't do that with a single disk!

Again, I believe that your statement that my "calculations are based on the idea that
you could
parallelize the operations" is incorrect.

There is no parallelization involved in reading blocks. You just read them.

Consider the time to write an individual block. It requires
    a) seek and read of data block
    b) seek and read of parity block
    c) XORing old data out of parity block
    d) XORing new data into parity block
    e) seek and write of data block
    f) seek and write of parity block

Compare this to the time to write an ordinary block
    *) seek and write of data block

Neglecting the XOR time,
and assuming seek = move head to cylinder, select platter,
and wait for rotation,
my numbers follow.
Without parallelization.

The legitimate criticism is that seeking on the "Same-disk RAID"
may be significantly worse than seeking on an ordinary disk, because
there would be no locality.  Fair enough. That is why I provided
numbers for multiple write sizes.

And it is legitimate to say that requiring the parity blocks to be on
different cylinders, but placing the data blocks on the same track,
would require 2X more seeks.  Or that requiring data and parity
blocks to be on different cylinders would require even more seeks.

Which is why I asked about error distribution. If any significant
number of surface errors are confined to a single block, then data
blocks and parity blocks can live in the same track, or even just
sequentially, on disks that hide physical layout => the seek
contribution to a read workload would worsen only by 20%.

------------------------------

From: "Mark Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Ensoniq soundcard problem
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:58:48 -0500

Thanks everyone for all the great advice.  My original problem was that I
was running 'make config' and answering "no" to "ask about new/experimental
drivers". That's why es1370 and 71 were not even showing up on a kernel
reconfig!!

Anyhow, after rebuilding both as modules and as part of the kernel I get no
response.  I can't even 'cat /dev/sndstat' and inserting the es1371 module
just gives a littany of dynamic load errors.

However, I'm going for 2.2 tonight because I want to see what the fuss is
about anyhow.  And, I'm getting another system in the next couple of weeks
too so I'm sure I'll get a newer and more supported card.

THANKS AGAIN..

Mark Smith wrote in message <1%ox2.1357$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Anyone out there able to get Red Hat 5.2 to recognize your Ensonic Audio
PCI

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux drivers for TLAN NIC and Intel 82558 NIC
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 02:49:26 GMT

Hi

Do you need the source code or source of the drive. The Tlan NIC is present
as a module. You can get it after installation.

Regards

From: Shane Bearham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DDS3-Dat and Linux
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:01:53 +1100

"F. Spitzer, GEOSYSTEMS" wrote:

> We are planing to use a DDS3-Dat as backup-device. Has anyone made some
> positive or negative experience with DDS3-Dat-drives?
> Any recommendations are welcome.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Fritz
> email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I've used a Wangdat DDS-3( the model escapes me ATM )
and had no problems with it... this was back in the days
of kernel 2.0.15

Shane ();

--
+-----------------------------+----------------------------+
| Xtreme Systems Technologies  \  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
|  Working towards the future.  |     +61-41-496-2569      |
|    www.xtremetech.com.au       \        ICQ 353180       |
+---------------------------------+------------------------+

  2:00pm  up 8 days, 17:42,  8 users,  load average: 0.12, 0.18, 0.15

------------------------------

From: Shane Bearham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sda : unsupported sector size 16712447.
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:04:53 +1100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Linux kernel 2.0.34 or 2.0.36, same problem.
>
> with "modprobe aha152x.o aha152x="0x140,10,7,1"  I get the following:
>
>  aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
>  aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x140, IRQ=10, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled,
> parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100, extended translation=disabled
>  aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok.
>  scsi2 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.18 $
>  scsi : 1 host.
>    Vendor: IMG  Model: ZP10PU  Rev: J6
>    Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>  Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
>  sda : unsupported sector size 16712447.
>  SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 16712447 bytes. Sectors= 0 [0 MB] [0.0 GB]
>  sda: Write Protect is off
>   sda:scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0, absolute sector 0
>   unable to read partition table
>
> Any idea what the problem is?

I believe if you enable extend translation... that should fix your
problem
Unfortunately I cannot advise on this bit

Shane();

--
+-----------------------------+----------------------------+
| Xtreme Systems Technologies  \  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
|  Working towards the future.  |     +61-41-496-2569      |
|    www.xtremetech.com.au       \        ICQ 353180       |
+---------------------------------+------------------------+

  2:03pm  up 8 days, 17:45,  8 users,  load average: 0.36, 0.24, 0.17

------------------------------

From: Andy Glew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,comp.arch.storage,alt.os.linux,comp.periphs
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:10:39 -0600

> >Writes are more difficult.  To write a random block requires a read
> >and a write of the data block, and a read and a write of the parity block.
> >That's bad.  But then again, 99% of my disk is effectively never modified
> >- OS, software installation, etc.  This is why I mentioned the possibility
> >of using ordinary writes initially, and then converting to RAID parity
> >later.
>
> This is OK.

A recent issue of IEEE Computer (I think) has a paper that proposes
allocating a separate disk, or a portion of the local disk, as a disk
cache - absorbing writes when DRAM based disk caches overflow
during a write burst, and then emptying this "disk based write buffer"
to the ordinary disk blocks once the write burst is over.

This is pretty much what I proposed in my original post - ordinary writes
into a sequential log, later distribution to the regular disk blocks.

Note that the sequential log itself could be parity protected, since
it is trivial to do so on log writing.

> >Note, however, that writing an entire RAID group is only 20% worse than
> >writing 4 ordinary disk blocks, IF it is allowable to put a RAID group in the
> >same track.  If it is necessary to put the RAID data and parity blocks in different
> >tracks, then there will seldom be an advantage to such aggregate writes,
> >so the 4X impact for writes on an individual RAID block will stand.
>
> As noted elsewhere, the impact is NOT 4X for an individual block, because
> the reading of the old data and parity REQUIRE a rotation of the disk before
> you can rewrite them.  Best case is a rotation + 2X an individual block's
> time.

Actually, an average case when waiting for rotations on a block by block
basis would be half a rotation for the first block, half a rotation for the second
block, the remainder of a rotation to write the first, half a rotation for the second.
If data and parity blocks are on the same track, but are randomly laid out.
I.e.   SEEK + 2*ROT + 2*READ_TRANSFER + 2*WRITE_TRANSFER.
Worse if the compute latency causes us to miss a rotation.

Compare to your quintessential single block
SEEK + 0.5*ROT + WRITE_TRANSFER

Life would be nicer if we could say "read block A or block B" to the
controller - or if we had RPS.

But this is quibbling, guys.  From the very first post, I talked about the
possibility of using some sequential logging and later restructuring to avoid
the need to do so many expensive RMWs for writes.

------------------------------

From: Ian Tester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,rec.video.desktop
Subject: Re: ?: marvel video cap under linux
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:48:41 +1100

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, ronald s chong wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 17:24:12 +0100, Karol Wasilka
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > i belive there is no editing software under linux.
>
> oh, i was just looking for capture, not editing.  i'll reboot to w95
> for editing.

Then what's the use of capturing in Linux? Seems a bit weird.

Anyway, from what I've heard Matrox isn't releasing important information
about the Marvel or the Rainbow Runner add-on. They apparently uses some
fairly common MJPEG codec chips from Zoran, and they're well documented
and supported under Linux (look at http://linuxmedialabs.com). But the
tuner and the interface to the rest of the card is proprietry.

At least, that's what I've heard. I would LOVE to be corrected. I would
love to plug a RR into my G200 and do video-in-a-window and MJPEG capture
without using a precious PCI slot. <crossing fingers> please, please,
please...!

bye

--
8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          \7\  LINUX: because geeks  \7\  Ian Tester

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel Cruz)
Subject: Re: To:  comp.os.linux.hardware ADMINISTRATOR
Date: 16 Feb 1999 03:11:23 GMT

Thomas \"Tom\" Yeaple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Please remove the previous post.  I apologize for the error -- I thought I
> was sending an e-mail.  Again my apologies.

You lie like a rug. Just for fun I'll report you to your ISP one more time.

miguel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Compaq Proliant Server Smart-2 Array Controller
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 03:06:37 GMT

Hi

You can find the beta version driver from the following site. If you are
making the Smart 2 as bootable follow the steps given in the readme
carefully. First you need to install the Linux on the Embedded Controller
then patch the kernal to get Smart-2 Driver.

http://www.insync.net/~frantzc/cpqarray.html

Regards

From: Andy Glew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,comp.arch.storage,alt.os.linux,comp.periphs
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:29:45 -0600

Defining a strawman architecture:

a) a sequential log area - a disk based "write buffer"
    - to collect write bursts.

b) redistribution from the sequential log area
    in idle times between write bursts

c) Parity blocks simply placed every 5th sequential disk block,
    in both the sequential log area, and in ordinary disk storage.
    I.e. biased towards data and parity blocks in same track,
    although track structures are hidden.

    What little error distribution data was presented by other
    posters suggested that radial errors are most common
    surface errors.

I.e. no attempt to distribute data and parity blocks across
tracks in the same cylinder, or across cylinders.

(For very-old read-only data, such extra distribution
might be desirable.)

Performance:

    reads: +20% seeks.

    writes: the sequential log may absorb most write bursts
        (see IEEE Computer paper).

        vulnerability: the RMWs required of RAID would
            increase the likelihood that the next write burst
            would arrive before the old write burst was emptied
            out of the sequential log.  4X more likely to do
            so if totally random writes; 20% more likely to do so
            if the workload consists of sequential, multiblock, writes
            that can be combined.

Benefits:

a) The goal is increased resistance to surface errors.
    Specifically, surface errors that affect one, but not multiple,
    blocks in a track.

b) Resistance to 1 block wide radial scratches.

c) No resistance to multiple block per track errors,
c')unless different RAID groups are interleaved in
    same track - which will probably happen. However,
    if the usual error mode is to drag a hot particle along
    the circumference of a track, if the damage spreads
    beyond the interleaving factor, no benefit.

d) No benefit for whole track or whole cylinder errors.

e) No benefit for whole disk or whole disk controller
    errors.

f)  No benefit for software errors.

Certainly not as good as replicating disks, mirroring, or multiple
disk RAID. But if multiple disks are not an option (e.g. say I was
trying to store data reliably in a PDA with IBM's new micro-disk
drive), then the real comparison must be made not to the multiple
disk alternatives, but to the cost of not having any protection at all
on a single disk.  I.e. not how much of the "ultimate" reliability
can be obtained, but how much more than the "base" reliability.

By the way, I suspect that if PDAs with micro-disks really require
reliability, that they would probably distribute data across multiple
tracks in the same cylinder.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
Subject: Re: MX300 does it work in Linux¿
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 02:33:26 GMT

FYI, a company called 4front (www.opensound.com) has been writing a3d drivers
for linux! They will be working for a3d 2 soon too.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Problem installing Linux . Virtual Resolution Disabled
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 03:16:21 GMT

Hi

Try selecting the Generic VGA Compatible during Adaptor selection and Custom
during the selection of monitor and Super VGA 1024x768 @ 87 Hz option and
Vertical sync as 40-150. Then select the Probe option. Then give the command
startx. Try this out and send me the feed back.

Regards

From: Pavel Greenfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Epson Stylus 850
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:12:50 -0500

Hi,

Is the Stylus 850 supported under linux? I checked the compatibility
list and it mentions Stylus 800. Does that mean the 800 series or just
one printer?

Some sites mention "uniprint" in Redhat. I have Slackware. Will it still
work?

Can I ever get Linux to a point where I can just browse the web, hit
Print, and get a color printout?

Thank you very much in advance!

Pavel