Linux-Hardware Digest #449, Volume #9            Wed, 17 Feb 99 06:14:18 EST

Contents:
  Re: Ensoniq soundcard problem (Sean Stewart)
  Re: Received Castlewood ORB!  But... ("Baseball")
  some questions about my modem ("SUNDELL THORBJÖRN")
  Contact Joanne Harris(King?) (Mark Simpkins)
  A few questions about my hardware ("Kriton Dolias")
  A few questions about my hardware ("Kriton Dolias")
  A few questions about my hardware ("Kriton Dolias")
  A few questions about my hardware ("Kriton Dolias")
  Re: Need NIC Recommendation for Stock RH5.1 (Mathew A. Hennessy)
  Re: Gnome config problems - please, please help....... ("Gary J Sanderson")
  Re: How to use Iomega Ditto (Marc D. Williams)
  Re: Installing Linux on system with VIA chipset
  Re: MX300 does it work in Linux (Oleg Letsinsky)
  Re: CD-RW Problem - Help Please!! (Jason Clifford)
  SB PCI 128 works only when logged in as root. (kurtz)
  Re: P2B-D identity change from 400 -> 350 MHz ??? (Per J Olsson)
  Re: video card CL-GD5420 (Marc D. Williams)
  Re: GTE flamed linux for BillG (Paul Newhouse)
  Re: C Programming for ISA Card (Andre Fachat)
  marvel G200 (GANGLOFF Jacques)
  Re: Voodoo Banshee Driver, Creative PCI64 (James McBoyle - Sun Ireland - SunSoft ELC
[Student])
  SiS Chipset Problem Solved (Jim Moser)
  Re: Redhat 5.2 over Prosignia 4/25 + Smart1 (Pierre GRAMONT)
  3com 3c509 + creative sb32 pnp (Torsten Wuensch)

From: Sean Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ensoniq soundcard problem
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 05:43:58 GMT

Mark Smith wrote:

> Anyone out there able to get Red Hat 5.2 to recognize your Ensonic Audio PCI
> card?  Even though there are no specific drivers to support this (it IS
> Soundblaster compatible) the kernel doesn't even recognize a sound device at
> boot-time.

I got it to work under the Sound Blaster Driver.

------------------------------

From: "Baseball" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Received Castlewood ORB!  But...
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 08:33:31 GMT

Don't they make a SCSI version too?
How much does it cost and how much is the media?

Does Linux kernel 2.2 support this thing?  I know it's been hyped by
CmdrTaco on Slashdot.org lately, I really want one of these...

Doug Wheeler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Quick follow-up: Removing the ZIP drive allows the ORB drive to work.
Apparently there's some

------------------------------

From: "SUNDELL THORBJÖRN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: some questions about my modem
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:34:54 +0100

i'm a owner of a USR v90 voice winmodem (internal)...
yes i know it sucks but ive got when i bought my computer
so my qustion is
is it possible to get it to work with linux couse
ive tried hard but i cant figure out how .

------------------------------

From: Mark Simpkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]",<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Contact Joanne Harris(King?)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:33:16 -0800

Contact Joanne Harris(King?) re: Mfg. drop-ship program this week.
Report for Reggie.
--
Mark B. Simpkins        (650)933-7515
Silicon Graphics, Inc.  Check Out Our Web Site on Silicon Surf

------------------------------

From: "Kriton Dolias" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: A few questions about my hardware
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:34:03 -0500

i just bought Red Hat 5.2 and i am about to ditch windows, but first i got a
few questions about my hardware:
generic i740 card - is this compatible, do i have to do anything to make it
work?
and a Lucent Technogies WinModem - ( i assume that this isn't compatible
because of the fact it is a WINmodem) is there a way to get around that?

thanks

kriton

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mathew A. Hennessy)
Subject: Re: Need NIC Recommendation for Stock RH5.1
Date: 16 Feb 1999 20:40:44 GMT

In article <7a53cp$767$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
synthetic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is one brand of NIC more reliable than the other and/or easier to setup?

        The $69 Kingston 10/100 NIC uses the DEC Tulip chipset.  Cheap,
fast, and well-supported, it's tier-1 IIRC.  I haven't seen it fail yet,
but then it isn't running a firewall or router..

>Any advice and comments are appreciated.

        Yeah, save money and skip the 3com..
--
Mathew A. Hennessy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
'So the next time someone says, "I have a 50K file for you," your next

------------------------------

From: "Gary J Sanderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gnome config problems - please, please help.......
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 08:35:34 -0000

Having played around a little more and with some help from another reader, I
have managed to see what the messages were. I've switched the runlevel back
down to 3 and am now using .xinitrc for starting X. Here it is;

SESSION_MANAGER=local/bigdog:/tmp/.ICE-unix/324,tcp/bigdog:1024
Priority 00 : Starting         Id = default0
Priority 00 : Cloning         Id = default0
Priority 00 : Registering  Id = (null)
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 327, errno = 2

Waiting for X server to shut down

I hope this makes a little more sense to you than it does to me.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Crossposted-To:  comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: How to use Iomega Ditto
Date: 17 Feb 1999 09:36:02 -0800

On 16 Feb 1999 06:07:24 GMT, Juergen Fiedler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have to set up some backup solution. Urgently. The only piece of
>hardware in my possession that looks remotely usable for this task
>is an old Iomega Ditto Max. Now the question:
>How do I go about compiling support for it into the kernel?
>I heard that I need SCSI support. Then I also heard about compiling
>a ppa module. Which option (say, in 'make menuconfig') enables that?
>I have Slackware 3.6 with a 2.0.36 kernel. Seems it comes with ftape-2.08.
>Should I download a 4.x ftape? Can I unpack that into the Linux source tree
>or should I keep it separately? Can someone please tell me how to configure
>it?
>
>Juergen

Yes, download the 4.x version(s). It's best not to compile it into
the kernel but as modules. Easier to deal with when fixes
come out.
Then be sure to join the ftape (linux-tape) mailing list.
A lot of talk goes on about the Ditto Max there.
You'll find the info you need at the site and in archive's
documentation. And the ftape-doc package.

--
>>ANIME SENSHI<<
Marc D. Williams    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.agate.net/~tvdog/internet.html  --  DOS Internet
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Platform/8269/ -- Windows 3.x Makeover

------------------------------

From: <>
Subject: Re: Installing Linux on system with VIA chipset
Date: 17 Feb 1999 09:34:50 GMT

Lisa Charles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreibt: > Hello All

> I just want to clarify. I am trying to install Linux on a system with an
> EPOX MVP3C motherboard, with a VIA chip set and AWARD BIOS, using an AMD
> K6-3D processor and IDE drives.
> I have created the boot disks, but when I boot from it the devices are
> not recognized. The primary drive on the primary channel is found but
> the primary drive on the secondary channel ( cdrom) is not found. Come
> to that, the ethernet card ( NE2000 clone ISA ) is also not found. I
> also get some messages about unknown PCI devices but they scroll of the
> screen so I am not sure what it says. Since my cdrom is not detected I
> can not continue with the installation. I have also considered the
> possibility of  trying to mount the cd on a windoze machine and sharing
> it so that I can do an install with an SMB source, but my ethernet card
> is not found. So for now I'm screwed it seems. Any help will be
> appreciated
> TIA

First log in as root and go to /var/log/messages/. Then view the boot.msg
(may vary on other distributions). After this try to find out what type of
CD-Rom drive you use. Try to put your CD-Rom to the secondary channel on
your 2nd IDE-controller.

Bye

Armin Kaiser

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Oleg Letsinsky)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
Subject: Re: MX300 does it work in Linux
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:48:30 GMT

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 18:27:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hmm that's interesting. But how come Toni Schneider said that these guys are
>working on aureal's port over to linux at 3dsoundsurge.com? yeah, just read
>that not long ago.
I read this article too. But I'm not sure if they are going to provide
a3d on linux (But how? Current A3D API tightly "integrated" with
DirectSound, so they would need to rewrite it) or if they're going to
provide binary only drivers with basic features (OSS MIDI, DSP, mixer,
etc)? IMO they would do much better job if they'd provide
documentation for ALSA developers - we could have Vortex drivers in a
short time, without waiting "until summer" or something like that.

C'mon, Aureal, nobody asks you to publish your patented A3D
algorithms! All we need is documentation, needed to implement those
basic features. Or is it easier to write drivers then write
documentation?

--
 Oleg Letsinsky, Ulter Systems, Inc.
                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jason Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: CD-RW Problem - Help Please!!
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:19:56 +0000

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Matthew Callaway wrote:

> mkisofs -l -R -C XX,YY -M /dev/cdrom -o image2.raw source/directory2/
> cdrecord -v dev=0,0 speed=2 -mutli image2.raw
>
> This should do it.  Now when you mount the newly burned CD, you can only see the
> first image.  Question:  What are we doing wrong?

The documentation for cdrecord I read stated that you should not specify
-multi for the final image you write to the CD. Perhaps this is the reason
yo cannot see the final image?

I never managed to get multisession working with cdrecord ut then again I
have not tried for over a year.

Jason Clifford
Definite Linux Systems
http://definite.ukpost.com/

------------------------------

From: kurtz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB PCI 128 works only when logged in as root.
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 02:01:44 -0800

Hardware:
    Asus P2B / PII-233 / 128MB / NCR53c875 SCSI (for CD-ROMs) / 14.4GB
EIDE
    SoundBlaster PCI 128 / Nvidia Riva TNT / Hauppauge WinTV / 3c905B
PCI Ether

Software:
    Debian 2.1 (slink) / XFree86 3.3.3.1 / Enlightenment DR14 / Kernel
2.1.125 (Debian package) / mostly Gnome apps

The Problem:
    ESound (enlightenment sound daemon) runs and plays, gmix (gnome
mixer) works, xwave works.  But only when I'm root.  When I login with a
user account, the hardware cannot be found.

Possible issues:
    Sound card support may be modularized (I cannot remember).  I did
customize the kernel (obviously) and did a complete make dep ; clean ;
zImage ; modules ; modules_install.  Kernel boots fine...

Thank you in advance (whoever you may be) for helping me.  This isn't
the kind of thing that I could find in any of the HOWTOs (there are no
recent Sound HOWTOs that I could find, maybe that's a project for me
when I've learned all I can about all this).

Oh, all of the software was installed with debian dselect utility except
for XF86 (there is no 3.3.3.1 debian packages yet).

-Please reply to this post so others who may have the same problem can
be helped.

------------------------------

From: Per J Olsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Subject: Re: P2B-D identity change from 400 -> 350 MHz ???
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:51:34 +0100

Rick Lindsay wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:56:21 +0100, Per J Olsson wrote:
>
> >Any ideas ??? Since the Asus people ignore my email I am really anxious
> >to hear any thoughts.
>
> These certainly will qualify as "any thoughts":
> 1. By chance did you update the BIOS and not load "setup defaults"?
>         CPU speed ID is a BIOS function....
> 2. Power supply.
>         So many problems are solved here it is no longer funny...
> 3. Something in the PCI bus gone crazy.
>         Stray thread of a driver gone bonkers?
>
> Rick Lindsay, Lindsay Computer Systems, http://www.lc-sys.com
> Austin, Texas. 512-719-5257.  Asus based systems, Asus Products.
>                                     Advanced Systems.
>            This message is SHAREWARE, please register...

Thank you for your answer,
The problems I described was the reason I upgraded 1.006 -> 1.007
1.006 came with the machine.   I am not to sure I remembered to choose
setup defaults. I'll check this. I'll also check the voltages.

Thanks again.

Per Olsson

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Subject: Re: video card CL-GD5420
Date: 17 Feb 1999 09:36:09 -0800

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 22:23:34 -0800, Ron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a ISA video card of unknown origin that has a cirrus logic CL-GD5420
>chip on on it with 1MB memory. When I set it up in Xconfigurator I cant get
>any more that 640 x 480 with 8 bit color depth. This card should be capable
>of more display modes. When I probe the card it only returns the 640 x 480 x
>8bit display mode. When I set it up manually and selected a higher color
>depth i.e. 640 x 480 x 16bit and select 1MB memory, Xwindows cant start and
>returns the error 'no display modes' and it also reports that it has 1MB
>memory(so it doesnt seem to be a memory issue). Anyone have any ideas?
>TIA

If you have it check the README.cirrus file which comes with your
X package. That's a pretty old cirrus chip but you should be able
to do at least 800x600. Probably only 8bit though.
As the file says you need linear addressing to get 16-bit at
higher resolutions, not sure about 640x480.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Newhouse)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.dcom.xdsl
Subject: Re: GTE flamed linux for BillG
Date: 17 Feb 1999 09:21:46 GMT

In article <7acjnn$avp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Penfold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Actually for a long while one of the other ISP's in town sent all of their
> MAC users to us for service.  It seems that everytime this lady with a MAC
> logged on ... the term server she connected to would lock up and cause it to
> reset.        I know the network admin over there so I beleive him.

Well, if that's true, it's a flaw in the OS that they are running not the OS
that "this lady with a" is running.  Let me guess; they are running NT?

Paul
--
ISDN is almost like actually being connected to the net.
xDSL is another order of magnitude improvement ...

------------------------------

From: Andre Fachat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.dev.c-programming,linux.dev.serial
Subject: Re: C Programming for ISA Card
Date: 16 Feb 1999 15:41:00 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.system mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Can anyone provide programming examples, documentation or other advise that
> > may be of benefit to me?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Rick

> Who makes the card? Is it a Keithley or a Computer boards product? Is it
> based on standard PIO chips? It should be easy enough to write a device
> driver to do it.

You don't even need a device driver. Just do an ioperm() and then
use inb() and outb() on the appropriate addresses in a normal
(superuser) program.

Heck, I'm using the printer port this way for a selfbuilt IEEE488
interface...

You have to know the hardware (I/O addresses and how to use them)
and cannot use interrupts from the user program.

Andre

--
Email address may be invalid. Use "fachat AT physik DOT tu-chemnitz DOT de"
======Fight SPAM = join CAUCE http://www.cauce.org======Thanks, spammers...

------------------------------

From: GANGLOFF Jacques <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: marvel G200
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:26:51 +0100

==============8B71C526C1FAF66C407ABDC1

Has anybody successfully installed a matrox MARVEL G200 under X on
a linux system. Is the card AGP or  PCI.
The latest Xfree release notes say that the G200 PCI cards are now
fully supported. What about the AGP cards ?

Thanks,

Jacques

==============8B71C526C1FAF66C407ABDC1

begin:          vcard
fn:             Jacques Gangloff
n:              Gangloff;Jacques
org:            GRAVIR
adr:            Bd Sébastien Brant;;;ILLKIRCH;;67400;FRANCE
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;work:       +33 (0)3 88 65 50 70
tel;fax:        +33 (0)3 88 65 54 89
tel;home:       +33 (0)3 88 01 33 59
note:           http://pc12gra.u-strasbg.fr
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James McBoyle - Sun Ireland - SunSoft ELC
[Student])
Subject: Re: Voodoo Banshee Driver, Creative PCI64
Date: 17 Feb 1999 10:06:04 GMT

In article [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Yoav Erez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>does anybody have a Driver for the Voodoo Banshee ASUS, 16 mega?
>or for the Creative PCI 64 Sound Blaster?
>i can't seem to install them correctly.

You can get a copy of the alpha version of the Banshee Xserver at:

http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxRPMS_vb_glibc.html

however it is only useable if your system uses the glibc libraries.

All you have to do is to dowload the file, tar -zxvf it and copy it into your
/usr/X11R6/bin/ directory, where it replaces your current XF86_SVGA xserver.
Then run xf86config to put the new card details in and voila (YMMV, but this
was what worked for me)

Hope this helps.

Have Fun
Jim
--
James McBoyle
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

...the Goddess could not spend all Her time persuading the Kings and Queens of
the world of the idiocy of war. Therefore She invented tacticians...
(Diane Duane, The Door into Shadow)

------------------------------

From: Jim Moser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SiS Chipset Problem Solved
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:38:52 -0600

I posted a message a day ot two ago about a problem I was having with
getting the SiS chipset on
my K6-2 motherboard to function under X.  Thanks to Philip Chong, John
Edwards and David Means
for responding to my message. All I had to do was download the new
3.3.3.1-1  X  package from RedHat along
with the 3.3.3.1-1 SVGA server and voila! the Chipset support I needed
was in the package.

Once again the collective wisdom and power of the Internet are
revealed.   Thanks to All!

Jim M.

I run Linux because I want, I run NT because I have to!

Message to Bill  in Seattle "Get off the tracks..'cause the train's
comin' through!"

From: Pierre GRAMONT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.rpm
Subject: Re: Redhat 5.2 over Prosignia 4/25 + Smart1
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:14:41 +0100

First, thank you for your answer.

I am sure that internal controler is SCSI, and of course CD drive so. The problem
is when I must choose SCSI controler at the begining of the installation : no one
of the SCSI controlers works.

For the second problem, It seems that kernel patch is for Smart 2 controlers, and
I have a Smart 1 controler. I need to use an other computer to compile kernel with
this patch, because all my disks are controled by Smart 1 controller, is'nt it ?

Regards

From: Torsten Wuensch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3com 3c509 + creative sb32 pnp
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:14:18 +0100

i have trouble under linux, when i install both cards in the same time.
when sb32 is inside, linux says, there is no 3c509 card and when the
sb32 is outside the computer, the nic is found.
i looked on the hardwareressources but there are no conflicts. (under
windows both cards work fine.)
does anybody know a solution for this problem?

--

name     : Torsten Wuensch
e-mail   : [EMAIL PROTECTED]