From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux on a IBM Thinkpad 310??
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:00:11 GMT

I wanne install Linux Redhat 5.2 on a IBM Thinkpad 310
is this gonne work?
i'v checked the list at
http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/laptop/welcome.html#specific_models

but it was'nt listed

Greetz

From: Emmanuel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cyrix 386 upgrade : Cx486DRx2
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:54:56 +0200

Hi,

I use an old 386DX/33 upgraded with a Cyrix Cx486DRx2.
This chipset require a patch to enable its internal cache.

A patch, called CxPatch30, do it for Linux 1.x
(the patch code is integrated in the kernel)

Is there a patch to do it with Linux 2.0 ?

Thank you
Emmanuel

------------------------------

From: "Andreas Richter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Creative Soundblaster pro
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:54:40 +0200

This soundcard can emulate a "sb compatible" card (DOS). But I have not get
any success to get
some sound with linux. Does anyone know a trick?

Andreas

------------------------------

From: Peter Kropf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.3 post-compilation problems
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:58:02 -0800

It sounds like a similiar problem that I ran into.  If the root partition
on you hard drive is configured so that it crosses the 1024 cylinder
(or sector, I forget which) boundry, then the PC's BIOS is unable
to load the boot information.  I had to use Partition Magic to move
the root partition to the beginning of the drive, boot from the resuce
disk and re-run lilo.  Once that was done, I no problems.

Hope this helps...

------------------------------

From: Yann Pasco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI Xpert99 rage128
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 19:43:05 GMT

Il s'agit d'un message multivolet au format MIME.
==============8047C63378655B986C39CE91

Hi !
trying to find RPMs for Rage128 ship... Don't want to pay 100$ for Xi
drivers....
any answers to that ?

yann

==============8047C63378655B986C39CE91

begin:vcard
n:Pasco;Yann
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:G.A.U.S.
adr:;;2500, bvld Université;Sherbrooke ;PQ;J1K 2R1;CANADA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Acoustics and vibrations Group, Sherbrooke University
tel;fax:1 (819) 821-7163
tel;home:1 (819) 572-3608
tel;work:1 (819) 821-8000 # 3106
x-mozilla-cpt:;2
fn:Yann  Pasco
end:vcard

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.x,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Subject: Re: The Kyle is a Fink! Was: Re: XF86 and ThinkPad 560
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:02:09 -0600

Kyle Fink wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

   As the guy who started this thread with an tongue in cheek Wizard of Id
reference, I feel obliged to chime in now.  :-)  My original post really was
ment to be a friendly warning.  I could tell that Kyle was new to the Linux
discussion groups, and probably Usenet as well.  I gave a polite, some what
satirical warning.  I included a competitor to make sure it was noticed.  I
also e-mailed a copy to Kyle, [EMAIL PROTECTED], and [EMAIL PROTECTED]  I got
two nice letters form Metrolink, by the way.  This should have been the end
of it, and nothing more happened for a few days.  Then Kyle sent a VERY
defensive post,   "Were both men of the world, threats do not become us."
That done, all of the people less polite than I dove in. :-)  Right after
the, I saw yet another ad from Kyle!  I sent a message to the "other Lee" at
XIG along the lines of, "Could you explain to Kyle the kind of trouble he is
causing?  My last attempt seems to have upset him."  Lee Roder sent back a
very nice message telling me that Kyle was new to Linux (not a surprise) and
usenet (also not a surprise) and had just been badly beaten up for publicly
confusing system and video ram in another newsgroup. :-)  (Don't laugh too
hard...  We have all been there)  He also told me the format that they told
Kyle future posts should take.  It was very professional, and helpful.  (By
the way, Lee...  Your e-mail is set for HTML...  Very tough to read)
   The point is, be gentle with Kyle.  He, like many others in the Linux
community now, is new.  We have a lot of new people coming in, and they will
make mistakes.  We need to try not to slap them with "DIE SPAMMER!!!!" or
"RTFM!!!!!" right off the bat.  :-)

|Some folks charge money for support, some for hw, and some for
|sw.  If Xi Graphics is being accused of charging money for software,
|we stand guilty as charged.  If we're being accused of delivering crap,
|we take extreme umbrage.  That is absolutely false.  We're on the same
|team here.  You want to see the Linux movement be successful.  So do
|we .  We deliver a key piece of technology that can make that vision
|a reality, and we're slammed by the very folks who should see the
|biggest benefit (more freedom of choice in application/game software!)
|in it.

   I think you are still missing it here.  You were not slammed for the
product.  Xi makes some nice stuff...  You were slammed for spamming.  The
reason I mentioned the product and the aversion of the OSS community was to
let you know that you already come in with some prejudice just because of
who you work for.

|to keep pace with the hw.  Since 1993, we've delivered four complete
|new generations of X Server technology in the form of Accelerated-X,
|and are working on our fifth - which incorporates fully integrated
|(full-screen and windowed) 3d hw acceleration - with an additonal
|20% performance on 2D on the cards we've tested!  This will
|be a killer product not only for the corporate user, but also the gamer!

   It will be a great product.  As will Metrolink's.  I have no doubt that
the Xi product will be faster, as well as more expensive.  It would be nice
if both companies decided to unbundle the components.  I am sure many more
people would be willing to look at the product if the could just grab an
Xserver and plug it into an existing system...  Hint hint...  :-)

|So, I conclude with this.  It's our aim to make your systems perform
|better than you'd ever dreamed when it comes to desktop computing.
|Better than any alternative out there - whether its on Linux or another
|OS.

   That is the corporate aim.  Your aim is to make money.  That is OK...  It
is your job.  Just be aware that what you do here can have a substantial
negative impact on that money.  Being helpful without seeming "the pushy
salesman" can also have a very positive effect.  I do really wish you the
best, and please do not take this as a personal attack.  What is good for
you, is also good for me in this case.

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. *

------------------------------

From: "Steve Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: sci.electronics,sci.electronics.misc
Subject: Re: Analog CPU ?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 17:55:42 +0100

It's an April Fool joke. They appear in electronic magazines every year at
this time.

I can always remember one from years back in a UK magazine. It was for a
high power audio amp. It started off fairly realistic, but then got more
unlikely. It was for a 1Kw or multi KW amp using masses of 2N3055's mounted
on an old heating radiator, water cooled, as a heat sink. Someone should
publish a  book of the best from the last 20 years.

Steve Bell

------------------------------

From: "Adam Corsaw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NEWBIE:Iomega ZIP SCSI Insider
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 13:57:16 -0600

Mortimer, Ian (EXCHANGE:MDN03:4634) wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi all,
>
>Just installed SuSE 6.0 (2.0.36 Kernel) and it works great BUT I am
>having trouble accessing my Internal ZIP drive.
>
>It is an Iomega ZIP SCSI Insider.
>
>How should I start ?!! (very vague question I know but I have only just
>started with Linux)
>
>There are a couple of posts earlier on that mention things similar to:
>
>mkfs -t msdos /dev/fdd4
>mount /dev/fdd4 /mnt
>
>but all the replies seem to relate to parallel port ZIP or ZIP's on the
>IDE.
>How does it differ having a SCSI ZIP ???
>
>Should I try and mount it like a normal SCSI drive ? (note: I have no
>SCSI drives / cards in my system {apart from the ZIP} - only EIDE)
>

>Any help would be appreciated
>
>Ian.
>
>PS: I note that in the SuSE manual it talks about improvements supplied
>by the 2.2.x kernels and in particular support for removable media
>??????? - ie. they are treated as normal SCSI drives
>
>System:
>
>P133, 64Mb RAM i430VX chipset with award BIOS.
>Quantum Fireball 1.2Gb IDE
>Matrox Mystique (158MHz RAMDAC, 4Mb)
>Pioneer 10X CD (IDE)

You'll probably have a /dev/sda or /dev/sda0 that you can use.  Using the
other methods you have seen, this should work.  I would use the vfat type of
partition though.  I have a Zip insider in my pc and it is addressed by
/dev/sdd or sdd0 I can't remember which.  I've got three hard drives
/dev/sda /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc along with a cd-rom /dev/scd0 (I think that's
right for the CD).

------------------------------

From: "Danno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netgear Network starter kit support
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 14:57:50 -0500

According to Bay networks (Nortel), the FA 310TX *is* supported by Linux...
check out:

http://netgear.baynetworks.com/support/support.shtml#nc

from:
http://netgear.baynetworks.com/support/support_fa310tx/fa310tx_faqs.shtml

1.4 Does the FA310TX work with linux?

                            Yes, we have added linux support recently. The
driver is included in version
                            4.0 or higher driver set. This driver is
available for download. It will work with
                            all versions of our FA310 network adapter card.
If you have NIC has a version
                            identifier D1 or higher (printed on top right
hand corner of the card), please
                            make sure the driver on the supplied driver disk
is used instead of the public
                            domain tulip driver.

cheers,
dan

------------------------------

From: Christoph Wegener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: APC Smart UPS 700 and Linux
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:52:19 +0200

Hi,
does anybody know if there is the possibility to run the APC Smart UPS
700 together with Linux?!? Which daemon do I need?!? Which cable?!?
Where can I find any docu?!?

Thanks in advance...
Christoph
--
Christoph Wegener
Lehrstuhl fuer Biophysik - Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum

------------------------------

From: "Mark Buckland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: startx monitor shutdown
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:46:07 +0100
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.misc

I've tried multiple sensible configurations in Xonfigurator and I have reid
tweaking XF86Config file by hand, but my monitor still shuts down when
running startx.

Just for the record..

HorizSyn 31.5
VertRefresh 60

and using the at Modeline 640 480

Is this the end of my linux experience?

-Mark.

------------------------------

From: Mark Ayzenshteyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound :Creative SB16 Vibra
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:01:27 GMT

I have one of these and it works. What is the problem you are having? Is
it ever detected? I belive the bios will initialize it to someting like
0x220 IRQ 5, DMA 1,0.

Mark

Roberto Lusini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Cuold someone help me to set this device,

: I 've compiled my Kernel 10 times, following every hints.

                Mark Ayzenshteyn CS Major at UCSD
                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                http://www.bonzo.org/~marka

------------------------------

From: Greg Yantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: APC Smart UPS 700 and Linux
Date: 30 Mar 1999 14:37:04 -0500

Christoph Wegener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
> does anybody know if there is the possibility to run the APC Smart UPS
> 700 together with Linux?!? Which daemon do I need?!? Which cable?!?
> Where can I find any docu?!?

It is certainly possible. There are several packages available that
allow one to use a Smart UPS with Linux. I remember seeing (and trying)
several of them. You can find tarballs or rpms's. The one I settled
on is called smupsd- I haven't had any problems with it.

Check out the UPS Howto. If it's not already on your system, try:

        http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/howto/UPS-HOWTO

Cheers.

-Greg

------------------------------

From: "Tom Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on a IBM Thinkpad 310??
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:13:41 -0500

I just ported RedHat 5.2 on to my ThinkPad 600 and it went pretty
painlessly, I'd say.  I can't guarantee that it will work, but I think it
should.

Good Luck!

news:7dqld6$f7l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Gordon Hamm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie Installing linux on laptop
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 07:30:50 -0800

My laptop uses a S3 Virge card and I am trying to configure it in SAX
but it can not find the proper driver. Is this the best way to configure
my laptop for X windows. How do I install a new driver?

From: Karl Joseph Weinmeister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: MWave sound in IBM Thinkpad???  (RedHat 5.2)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:11:53 -0500

Has anyone properly configured sound on an IBM Thinkpad with an MWave
card?  I can't get it to work.

I've tried it "out-of-the-box" and with a recompiled kernel (2.2.4) with
the proper options.

Let me know if you have had any luck.

Thanks,
Karl

From: Chris Eilbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: ATI Xpert@Play TV output
Date: 30 Mar 1999 20:29:37 +0100

Is it possible to enable the ATI Xpert@Play TV output under X?

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Christophe =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E8ge?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Packard Bell unknown card
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:15:54 -0300

Hi,

Does anybody knows what is the sound card in a
Packard Bell 2613? I can't configure the sound
because I can't find any information about it...
(even Packard Bell site says nothing about this
laptop!)

Thank you for any piece of information!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:13:22 +0100
From: Steve Maughan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: can't install linux hardware problem

I've got a problem with installing linux. The problem is that when i
origionally got my system, it had a dual-speed IDE CD drive, and it ran
from a controller on a SB-16 sound card. But then, a couple of months
ago, the CD drive went bust. I got a new drive (also IDE) and although
it didn't work through the cd drive controller (I don't think it's
compatible), it would work in windoze if I plugged it into my IDE hard
drive controller. That was all fine until a couple of weeks ago when I
wanted to install linux (redhat 5.2, kernel version 2.2.2). On bootup,
when linux probes the hard-drives, it detects hard-drive (hda), but then
it detects my CD drive(hdb). Once it's detected my CD drive, it stalled.
I can get the system to load - by unplugging the drive once it's been
probed by linux - the boot process continues - then connecting it back a
couple of seconds later. But this is very awkward, because I have to
keep opening up my box every time I want to use linux. Does anyone know
a way round this?

Steve Maughan

     Don't run away from your problems...
     Riding is much faster.