Linux-Hardware Digest #77, Volume #11            Mon, 23 Aug 99 00:13:31 EDT

Contents:
  Tekram DC-395U driver ? (Michael Gutbier)
  Re: SIS 620 in high resolution? ("Allix")
  Re: RedHat 6.0 Help (george)
  Re: 3dlabs AverMedia 2 8 meg card in RedHat? (george)
  Re: Best video board for Linux ("Allix")
  Re: IDE CDW working! but now CDROM won't mount (haze)
  Re: Is there an Xserver for 3Dlabs Permedia 2? (george)
  Re: Linux & PeniumIII ("Allix")
  Re: ess 1869 Sound ("Andrew Phoon")
  Re: Linux with Satelite Modems??? (like cable modems) ("Allix")
  Help with Trident9880 Blade 3D chipset ("Andrew Phoon")
  Re: Looking for  ~500 meg HD... (Maniac)
  Please help!!!! ("Michael Tu")
  Re: Check out the reality (The Saint)
  Re: modems ("Allix")
  Re: Question for the Experts ("Allix")
  Re: modems ("zerocool")
  Re: New sound and modem. ("Allix")
  Tuner replacement on bttv TV cards ? (Julien PERVILLE)
  Re: Motorola 56K Modemsurfer ("Allix")
  Re: AOpen SIS 6326 AGP ("Allix")

From: Michael Gutbier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tekram DC-395U driver ?
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 22:15:26 +0200

Hallo *!

How can I make my new Tekram DC-395U SCSI controller work?
It bases on the new Tekram chip TRM-S1040 which is directly supported by
Tekram for Linux.
(You can download a driver from their ftp-site.)
So I tried to compile the driver with 2.2.11 but it didnīt work.
These are the errors:

In file included from dc395x_trm.c:61:
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/bios32.h:11: warning: #warning This driver
uses the old PCI interface,    please fix it (see Documentation/pci.txt)

(Shall I really try it?)

/usr/src/linux/include/linux/bios32.h:32: warning:
`pcibios_read_config_byte' redefined
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/modules/pcisyms.ver:4: warning: this is the
location of the previous definition
dc395x_trm.c:85: `PROC_SCSI_DC395X_TRM_S1040' undeclared here (not in a
function)
dc395x_trm.c:85: initializer element for `proc_scsi_dc395x.low_ino' is
not constant
dc395x_trm.c:3939: `DC395x_trm_trm' undeclared here (not in a function)
dc395x_trm.c:3909: warning: `DC395x_trm_release' defined but not used

How can I find out if there are some developers who already try to fix
this?

Thank you..

Bye, Michael

------------------------------

From: "Allix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SIS 620 in high resolution?
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:59:39 -0400

I just strolled on to SIS's web site , and found that they finally have
linux support for my card, I finally got high colour depth now, and
everything works great, well with me it only works in 2048x1024 mode for
8,16, and 24 bit modes. I can get 1024x768 in 32 bit mode. You can find the
answer at

www.sis.com.tw

me : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: george <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat 6.0 Help
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:07:48 -0400

CWQ wrote:

> first.is it possible to remove the password/login screen when starting
> up?

How the hell would you login to the system then???  If you mean you want a
graphical login, then change the first uncommented line in /etc/inittab
from:

id:3:initdefault:

to this:

id:5:initdefault:

> second..can Linux read from my FAT32 hard drive? i've been getting
> errors trying to read from hda(that's my c: and windows) and how can i
> make LILO dual boot my machine between w95 and Linux?

Linux can read FAT32.  Make sure you have the module inserted or support
compiled into the kernel.  As far as dual booting, check the LILO howto at
sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/linux.html   It is very good.  Also there is a
Linux+Win95 howto there.

> fourth....how do i access cdrom and my d: FAT16<32meg (assuming it can).

What device is your CDROM?  Master or slave?  Which IDe channel?  Or is it
SCSI?

> fifth.....how do i set up my modem and sblive? (can they be set up
> anyway??)

If it is a WinModem - you cant.  it wont work.  buy a new one.  SBLive is
only supported with very early beta drivers.  Linux does not support this
card natively because Creative wont release the specs on it.

> sixth......how do i make the KDE instead of gnome my default interface
> when starting the X thingy?

take a look at /etc/X11/prefdm.  What file is it pointing to?  gdm or kdm?
set it to kdm.

> seventh.......how do i connect to the internet?

well.  Its very good.  A hint though - use the network configurator from
redhat's control-panel to add a PPP device - then activate the connection.
I assume you'll be using a plain old analog modem to get on the net.

> i dont have any linux/unix knowledge...
> there are my soft specs...
>
>                             c: FAT32 win95
>                             d: FAT16 <32 meg (if <32 matters)
>                             e: FAT32 applications drive
>                             f: FAT32 working drive(all wingcom stuff)
>                             g: FAT32 storage drive
>                             h: LinuxNative + LinuxSwap
>                             x: CD-ROM

Drive letters mean nothing under Linux.  Only windows style OS's use the
oh-so-stupid drive letters system.

Under Linux, your windows c: drive will be called /dev/hda1 or /dev/sda1
(depending on whether or not you have IDE or SCSI drive)

Again, go to sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/linux.html and read all the FAQ's and
HOWTOs.  All the answers are there.

------------------------------

From: george <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3dlabs AverMedia 2 8 meg card in RedHat?
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:51:47 -0400

Triumph TR-7 wrote:

> Anyone had luck getting this thing to work? I just got the card, and so far
> it has suceeded in locking up the system during a probe, and X refuses to
> start. NO clue on what chipset it has. Please email within as this is a huge
> ass newsgroup.

Do you mean the 3DLabs Permedia II chipset?  I've got an Accelstar II video
card that uses the 3DLABS permedia II chipset and has eight MB of ram at work.
Runs like a champ at 1024x768x32bit at 85Mhz under XFree86 3.3.3.1 on RH6.0
with all updates applied.

--
George Nimmer - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Linux - The choice of a GNU generation

------------------------------

From: "Allix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best video board for Linux
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:11:28 -0400

Well if you want to go cheap, SIS is the way to go , I have a SIS 620
myself, and It has a max of
1600x(what ever that next number is), and gets me 32 bpp easily.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: haze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: IDE CDW working! but now CDROM won't mount
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 03:08:27 GMT

your mount points may have gotten switched make sure you have a /mnt/cdrom
and a /mnt/burner and the right filetype
haze

------------------------------

From: george <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is there an Xserver for 3Dlabs Permedia 2?
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:13:45 -0400

I dont know about rh5.2, but at work, I have a permedia II card working
under RH6.  It is using the default XFree86 3.3.3.1 and it drives the card
at 1024x768x32bit at 85Hz without a hitch.  Looks beautiful.

Try using rh6.0 insteat.  It uses the newer 2.2 kernel while 5.2 uses the
older 2.0 kernel.

Good Luck!

From: "Allix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux & PeniumIII
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:08:31 -0400

Linux work on almost all computer platforms with the exception of older mac
systems.

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Phoon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ess 1869 Sound
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:59:30 +0800

Yep, Mandrake will autodetect it as ESS1869.

------------------------------

From: "Allix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux with Satelite Modems??? (like cable modems)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:19:19 -0400

I had the exact same question since i'll be getting one in november, sadly I
found the answer in a linux channel from a Linux Guru. Cable Modems have
ethernet cards that can be recognized and hooked up, no software needed. The
guy was concidering doing the same thing and found out that it is very
dependant on software since there are many variables with satellite, in
short, they don't work the same way at all and won't work in linux unless
they made their software "linux compatable", which means it won't be
happening soon.

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Phoon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with Trident9880 Blade 3D chipset
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:07:11 +0800

Hello, is anyone able to help me with setting up a Video Excel vga card with
a Trident 9880 chipset? I'm running Mandrake 6.0 on my system. Also any tips
on setting up a Soundblaster PCI128 would be appreciated.

Andrew

------------------------------

From: Maniac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for  ~500 meg HD...
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:08:21 -0500

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Brian wrote:
>Hi People:
>
>I have a friend who requires a low-cost (fixed income) HD of approximately
>500 megs.
>
>Would prefer Canadian source but will review all offers.
>
>Please reply to newsgroup and [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Thanks people,
>
>Brian
Can't help ya with a Canadian source but in the Lincoln NE Journal-Star there
is a 530MB for $30.

I've got a 730 that doesn't work... it clicks all the time I'll let ya have for
the shipping!

From: "Michael Tu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Please help!!!!
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 20:03:33 -0700

Hi, this is Michael.  I installed OpenLinux 2.2 on a Gateway 2000.  The
system runs OK but I have been trying to setup the modem for last one week
without any luck.  I am using a BTC HSP 56000bps  PCI modem.  I set up the
kppp on modem device on /dev/modem, flow control on XON/XOFF,  and ine
termination on CR/LF.  It can find my modem under the query modem.  However
every time I try to connect in kppp, it says modem ready then it start
setting speaker volume forever.  I try to change the IRQ and device setting
in lisa but no thing helps.  Please!  Someone give me some real helps.  I am
so frustrated here.

Best regards,

Michael Tu

------------------------------

From: The Saint <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Check out the reality
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 03:22:21 GMT

tycho wrote:

> The upgrade you refer to is expensive because it is no longer available from
> Matrox.  Do not blame Matrox for the high price of an exotic piece of
> hardware.  For example,  upgrades they stock:
>
> 8MB SDRAM for G200 US$49 (CAN$69)
> 8Mb SGRAM for G200  US$59 (CAN$89)
> 4MB and 6MB SGRAM for Mystique/220 US$15 (CAN$20 ) and US$20 (CAN$30 )
>
> These are reasonable prices for video memory upgrades.

I'm sure in another year, or so, The GS2XX will be called exotic pieces
of shit also. With memory priced sky high like the Millenium II series
ram prices are now.

> I am sorry you paid $210 in 1997 for a video card that does not meet yout
> expectations today, but video technology (and computer tech in general) is
> advancing so rapidly that we all suffer the same fate.  If you can't stand
> the heat get out of the kitchen.

I am definitely out of their kitchen...

You seem to overlook the fact UPGRADES does not mean "Buy the next hyped
model"
People buy with the expectation of UPGRADING as advertised on the
company box.
When they need to!!

> Matrox is a very reputable firm and at the top of the industry in terms of
> video image quality.  (Disclaimer: This is not a measure of gross frames per
> second in 3D games, so give me a break!)  I have used their products for
> many years and am very happy with them, as are many others.

So... how many NEW & IMPROVED "tweaked up and re-named" cards
did they soak you for ??

> JAMES CLARK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Open letter to the Matrox con

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^
JAMES CLARK
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 (-C-I-S-)-Crystal Information Soulutions-(-C-I-S-)
  http://amazing-space.stsci.edu/trading/trading.cgi?type=start

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

------------------------------

From: "Allix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modems
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:29:16 -0400

It depends on what program you use to connect. I just read a message about a
guy connecting at 26K with Kppp and then used netcfg and got 48K-50K. Try
different programs and see if you get faster connections.

------------------------------

From: "Allix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Question for the Experts
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:32:56 -0400

All linux distributions are basically the same , some are harder to
configure and install while others do most of the work for you. Since many
of your hardware specs requires following a HOWTO you can go to
http://howto.linuxberg.org
It won't be easy, but they all do work. Well you can always wait till Redhat
7.0 comes out :0

news:7pfo0j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "zerocool" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 03:29:17 GMT

Allix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:J93w3.365$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> It depends on what program you use to connect. I just read a message about
> guy connecting at 26K with Kppp and then used netcfg and got 48K-50K. Try
> different programs and see if you get faster connections.
>

> > hi, I need some help with a Diamond SupraExpess 56e PRO external modem.
> >
> > I have this connected to a dual boot linux/win98 system. It works fine
> under
> > win98 and get around 44kbps, but under linux it only connects at 9600. I
> > think there could be an init string that would help - any ideas?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Dave

Or, you can take the init string out of the windows .inf file and put it in
your ppp config file.  That's what I did with my USR Courier.

Just a thought.

------------------------------

From: "Allix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New sound and modem.
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:37:33 -0400

All sounds card can work with linux, I know you need to get a new modem if
you have a winmodem though

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Julien PERVILLE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tuner replacement on bttv TV cards ?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 04:58:37 +0200

Hi!

I'm a French living in the States for the next six months. So I'm planning
to buy a n Hauppauge WinTV PCI-based board for my linuxbox.
In the States the TV standard is NTSC. And in France we use SECAM. The
difference beetween the french and the american model is in the tuner ":
TEMIC or PHILIPS.

Has anyone here some experience with hardware replacement of the Temic
tuner by a Philips one (PAL/SECAM). How much is the component, is it
possible to buy one, what do I need to install it etc.

Thanks a lot
Julien

------------------------------

From: "Allix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Motorola 56K Modemsurfer
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:45:58 -0400

All I know is that 90% of modems that come from motorola are winmodems.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:7ol6i2$ni1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Allix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AOpen SIS 6326 AGP
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:51:41 -0400

That was the exact configuration of my old computer, until I had to bring it
into the shop and they gave me some other piece of crap, damn medex ! ,
anyways, I know the aopen is not a winmodem , so you can just set it up
using Kppp when you get X working. As for X I actually found a great web
page on configuring that specific card, since my history is about as large
as Rosanne Bar, I don't think finding it would be that easy. I just used
www.metacrawler.com
and typed in "linux"+"SIS 6326" and found it

news:7pjb4c$rnt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...