From: Daniel Bair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to use 'chat'
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:31:52 -0500

I need to use chat to send some at commands to a modem, but I don't want
to make a ppp connection.
What can I do? chat doesn't seem to work from the command line correctly.

Daniel Bair

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.dcom.modems
Subject: Re: dying courier modem?
Date: 22 Dec 2000 21:26:54 GMT

In comp.dcom.modems Matt Garman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The modem's volume control does not have any effect on the volume of the
> high pitched sound, unfortunately.  Another poster said the noise could be
> a result of noisy phone lines.  We live out in the country, quite a ways
> from the phone company, and our phone lines are horrendous.

> However, since my dad's Sportster modem works okay, I am assuming the
> phone lines are not the problem here.

That's not a valid assumption.   I think I told you before, but that
high pitched noise is not atypical.  I usually get that after rain --
somehow my line get impaired and the 2 modems can't sync up with
each other.   Repeated attempts, sometimes to other phone numbers
usually get a connection, but usually in the 9.6k .. 26.4k range.
(On good days to good phone numbers I get 44 .. 45.3k)

> Protocol               LAPM 128/15
> Speed                  38666/21600

Not very good numbers

> Last Call              00:34:22

> Disconnect Reason is DISC Received
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hehehe, the ISP's modem instructed your modem to disconnect....

> USRobotics Courier V.Everything Link Diagnostics...

> Modulation               V.90/V.34+
> Carrier Freq    ( Hz )   NONE/1829
> Symbol Rate              8000/3200
> Trellis Code             NONE/64S-4D
> Nonlinear Encoding       NONE/ON
> Precoding                NONE/OFF
> Shaping                  OFF/ON
> Preemphasis Index        NONE/4
> Recv/Xmit Level (-dBm)   31.7/16.9
> SNR             ( dB )   38.3

Numbers over 40 are preferable.

------------------------------

From: Richard Chase <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel questions
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.kernel
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 21:41:14 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a couple of questions.
>
> What is a backport?
>
> What patch goes with what kernel? i.e. Does patch-2.2.18 update kernel
> 2.2.17 or 2.2.18?
>
> best regards,
> charles

Patch 2.2.18 patches 2.2.17 to make it 2.2.18.

Good luck,
Rich

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Garman)
Crossposted-To: comp.dcom.modems
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 21:44:05 GMT

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:26:39 -0500, Hooda Gest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I would contact USR regarding this. It may be a problem with some component
> and that could be affecting the ability of the modem to handle the line
> quality properly. It could be repairable. You also might check your
> electrical grounding, sometimes this can have an adverse effect. Another
> thing to check, assuming the modem is an external, is where the modem is
> placed. Putting it on top of your monitor or the computer's case is not
> recommended.

Yup, I sent USR a tech support email asking them about this.  I'm guessing
a response might take a while with the holiday weekend upon us.

> The remote modem disconnected you. It wasn't a disconnecct due to line
> faults. What it may be is an idle activity timeout. Your ISP may not be
> seeing the file transfer as "activity" and expects some interaction such as
> mail checking. If there is a way, set your mail client to check for new mail
> every 15 minutes and that should clear up that problem.

It's certainly not the remote modem thinking I'm idle.  I can deliberately
do nothing while connected to my ISP and not get disconnected.  (i.e., if
I dial in to my ISP and sit there, the connection will last indefinately;
I don't think my ISP has a timeout monitor.)

> You get too many Blers and the speed (in each direction) is poor. This may
> be related to the high pitch whine you hear. It's possible that, if this is
> fixed, your connection would improve quite a bit.

I mentioned this is my email to USR tech support.

> First, compare your Dad's ati6i11 to yours (collect data after similar time
> online and similar amounts of data and activity) to see if there are any
> glaring differences. Make sure you use the same line for each; that includes
> using the same wall jack.

I pulled my dad's modem off his computer and hooked it up to mine.  So my
setup was exactly the same as before, only with his modem.  I couldn't get
his modem to do an unwanted disconnect like mine does (the ARQ led *never*
flashed at all), so I just took ppp down on my own.  Here's the ati6i11 on
his modem:

ati6i11
U.S. Robotics 56K FAX EXT Link Diagnostics...

Chars sent               279832      Chars Received          4087031
Chars lost                    0
Octets sent              118321      Octets Received         3848973
Blocks sent                6561      Blocks Received           33687
Blocks resent                16

Retrains Requested            0      Retrains Granted              1
Line Reversals                0      Blers                       175
Link Timeouts                 1      Link Naks                     1

Data Compression       V42BIS 2048/32
Equalization           Long
Fallback               Enabled
Protocol               LAPM/SREJ
Speed                  37333/21600
V.90 Peak Speed        38666
Last Call              00:30:00

Disconnect Reason is DTR dropped

U.S. Robotics 56K FAX EXT Link Diagnostics...

Modulation                  V.90
Carrier Freq     (Hz)       None/1920
Symbol Rate                 8000/3200
Trellis Code                None/64S-4D
Nonlinear Encoding          None/ON
Precoding                   None/ON
Shaping                     ON/ON
Preemphasis      (-dB)      24325/8
Recv/Xmit Level  (-dBm)     32/15
Near Echo Loss   (dB)       8
Far Echo Loss    (dB)       0
Carrier Offset   (Hz)       NONE
Round Trip Delay (msec)     9
Timing Offset    (ppm)      570
SNR              (dB)       38.2
Speed Shifts Up/Down/Null   0/0/0
OK

> You can also compare an aty11 for each modem. This is a frequency curve
> which should match up fairly closely when used on the same phone line. If
> they don't, it points to problems with the Courier that would add to the
> need for repairs.

Here's the aty11 for my dad's modem:

aty11

Freq         Level (dB)

150           12
300           12
450           12
600           13
750           14
900           15
1050          16
1200          17
1350          18
1500          19
1650          19
1800          20
1950          21
2100          22
2250          22
2400          23
2550          23
2700          24
2850          24
3000          25
3150          26
3300          29
3450          32
3600          37
3750          43
OK

And here's the aty11 for my modem (the Courier):

aty11
Freq     Level
 150     19
 300     19
 450     19
 600     20
 750     21
 900     22
1050     23
1200     24
1350     24
1500     25
1650     26
1800     27
1950     28
2100     28
2250     29
2400     29
2550     30
2700     30
2850     31
3000     32
3150     33
3300     35
3450     38
3600     43
3750     50

OK

I don't know what these numbers mean, but they the two modems are
different.

I had another disconnect on my Courier, and I took another ati6i11 reading
afterwords.  The disconnect reason is different this time (you'll also
notice that this connection didn't last long at all, barely over 1k
transferred before the carrier was lost):

ati6i11
USRobotics Courier V.Everything Link Diagnostics...

Chars sent                15248      Chars Received           130386
Chars lost                    0
Octets sent                8150      Octets Received           97826
Blocks sent                 858      Blocks Received             933
Blocks resent                 0

Retrains Requested            0      Retrains Granted              0
Line Reversals                0      Blers                      1641
Link Timeouts                 1      Link Naks                     0

Data Compression       V42BIS 2048/32
Equalization           Long
Fallback               Enabled
Protocol               LAPM 128/15
Speed                  36000/21600
Last Call              00:27:14

Disconnect Reason is Invalid Codeword
USRobotics Courier V.Everything Link Diagnostics...

Modulation               V.90/V.34+
Carrier Freq    ( Hz )   NONE/1829
Symbol Rate              8000/3200
Trellis Code             NONE/64S-4D
Nonlinear Encoding       NONE/ON
Precoding                NONE/OFF
Shaping                  OFF/ON
Preemphasis Index        NONE/4
Recv/Xmit Level (-dBm)   32.9/16.9
SNR             ( dB )   38.1
Near Echo Loss  ( dB )   10.9
Far Echo Loss   ( dB )
Roundtrip Delay (msec)   6
Timing Offset   ( ppm)   -3805
Carrier Offset  ( ppm)   2
RX Upshifts              0
RX Downshifts            1
TX Speedshifts           1
V.90 Status              uu,5,12N,12.2,-3,1N,0,39.1,27.8

OK

Thanks a million!
Matt

--
Matt Garman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind-killer."

------------------------------

From: "foo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LSILogic Symbios 53c1010 SCSI controller does not like Mandrake 7.2
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 13:52:00 -0800

I am trying to re-install mandrake 7.2 (via FTP or CD) on a system with an
LSILogic Symbios 53c1010 scsi adapter. I removed all partitions from the
hard drives using Partition magic 5.0, then walked through the install. All
goes well, but when I reboot, lilo cannot find the root file system and I
get a message like this:

VFS: cannot open root device 08:11
Kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:11

I also tried setting up the partitions with Partition Magic, and not letting
DrakX do any partitioning or formatting at all. I get the same result. DrakX
seems to not understand the drive geometry or something, as it and the SCSI
bios display differing values for cylinders, heads, and sectors.

Has anyone worked with this scsi adapter with linux?

Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:03:24 -0500
From: jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux!

I just got a response back from Intel!
Looks like they won't be supporting a Linux driver
for the Easy PC camera.

Anyone know of ANY webcam that works in Linux?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 22:37:50 -0000

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:03:24 -0500, jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I just got a response back from Intel!
>Looks like they won't be supporting a Linux driver
>for the Easy PC camera.
>
>Anyone know of ANY webcam that works in Linux?

        I've got a wild idea...

        Howabout typing "Linux" & "webcam" into a search engine.

[deletia]

--

        Section 8. The Congress shall have power...

        To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for
        limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their
        respective writings and discoveries;
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: crossover cable
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 23:10:04 GMT

John D. Peedle ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:
: This is probably the best reason. Even if that works, may I suggest that
: your best option is still a hub, since it has other advantages (protection
: of individual devices, scalability, etc, etc). Crossover cables are a
: necessary evil, but still to be avoided whenever possible.

Plus, they have pretty lights that you can watch when you're bored, or when
you're trying to troubleshoot your network.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: CD Burner
Date: 22 Dec 2000 23:36:30 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Jimmy Gagnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I would like to know how I could install and use a CD Burner as a CD ROM
>like on Windaub?

Install it and use it. No problem. What is the problem you are having.
Or is this a theoretical question.

------------------------------

From: Ekkard Gerlach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BIOS-update Philips CDD2000
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 00:09:02 +0100

can somebody give me the URL for CDD2000 where
I can find a BIOS update?  On philips.com
I can only find audio stuff but nothing
about computer ! The search with "CDD2000"
on the homepage results in a HTML-Error.

I want to update my writer because it don't want
to recognise CD's burned by modern CD-Writers like
Freecom 32x8x4 and CD'S burned with CDD2000 are
very slowly mounted by modern CD-ROMs (about 2-4 sec
delay). I hope a BIOS-update will help.

BTW: My CDD2000 has BIOS version 1.26 . Is there
a newer BIOS at all ?

rex:/tmp # cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IMS      Model: CDD2000/00       Rev: 1.26
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

thx
Ekkard

------------------------------

From: Ekkard Gerlach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CDD2000 with 2.2.14 .. SOLVED !!
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 01:07:53 +0100

Ekkard Gerlach wrote:

> Addendum:
>
> Ekkard Gerlach (me) wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > since my last upgrade 2.2.5 (Suse 6.1) to 2.2.14 (Suse6.4)
> > I can't any longer burn CD's. cdrecord invokes a full
> > linux-deadlock within about 25 seconds. After keyboard,
> > mouse, remote login, .. all is dead! I have to turn off
> > my PC by electric current.
> > In these 25 seconds I have the chance to logout
> > from KDE and reboot, that my hd won't

aha152x.c  und  aha152x.h

from 2.2.14 and 2.2.16 (these kernels are tested by me)
are bad. They invoke a operating system independend
deadlock after 25 seconds after calling cdrecord.

Solution/ Bugfix:

  use   aha152x.c  und  aha152x.h   from

kernel 2.2.5 (this kernel is tested by me) and build
a new kernel. Thats it.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 01:21:03 +0100
From: "s. eckloff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HDD Problems.

"Adam H." wrote:

> Hi Siggi,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I'll double check these things. I was also
> told that it could be a DMA problem, however the HDD is a newie.
>
> I'll replace the cables and check a few other things and see how I go.
>
> Have a great Christmas...

same to you!
wonder where all my apostrophes have gone to...

good luck                           siggi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system,alt.linux.sux
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 00:36:15 GMT

wrote:

>I just got a response back from Intel!
>Looks like they won't be supporting a Linux driver
>for the Easy PC camera.
>
>Anyone know of ANY webcam that works in Linux?
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Intel currently has no plans to provide a Linux* driver for the Easy PC Camera.
>This is keeping with the target audience, namely, consumers in a home environment who
>use PCs with PentiumŪ processors and Windows* 98 or Millennium Edition.
>>
>> Information on supported operating systems can be found at
>http://support.intel.com/support/createshare/camerapack/24595.HTM
>> As per this document, any version of Linux* is not supported by IntelŪ Support.
>>
>> Regards,

Translation: There isn't enough of a Linux home desktop market to make
it worth their while.
And until Linux can prove it is at least as good as Windows in that
application there never will be a desktop market for Linux.

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: "Hooda Gest" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.dcom.modems
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 19:44:26 -0500

"Matt Garman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:26:39 -0500, Hooda Gest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I would contact USR regarding this. It may be a problem with some
component
> > and that could be affecting the ability of the modem to handle the line
> > quality properly. It could be repairable. You also might check your
> > electrical grounding, sometimes this can have an adverse effect. Another
> > thing to check, assuming the modem is an external, is where the modem is
> > placed. Putting it on top of your monitor or the computer's case is not
> > recommended.
>
> Yup, I sent USR a tech support email asking them about this.  I'm guessing
> a response might take a while with the holiday weekend upon us.

Sorry, emailing tech support is a waste of time in most cases. Better to
dial them up since it is toll free in the US (I am assuming you are in the
US). Much faster response :) and much more productive.

1-888-326-6099.

> > The remote modem disconnected you. It wasn't a disconnecct due to line
> > faults. What it may be is an idle activity timeout. Your ISP may not be
> > seeing the file transfer as "activity" and expects some interaction such
as
> > mail checking. If there is a way, set your mail client to check for new
mail
> > every 15 minutes and that should clear up that problem.
>
> It's certainly not the remote modem thinking I'm idle.  I can deliberately
> do nothing while connected to my ISP and not get disconnected.  (i.e., if
> I dial in to my ISP and sit there, the connection will last indefinately;
> I don't think my ISP has a timeout monitor.)

Well, the modem is getting a disconnect signal from the remote modem and
that is often the cause. The other known cause of this is V.42
incompatibility with the remote modem but I would think these have all been
ironed out  a couple of years ago. To test that, turn off V.42 and
Compression and use MNP4 for error correction (S27=32 &K0 in Extra
settings). If that cures the disconnects then I suspect you need a flash
upgrade....

> > You get too many Blers and the speed (in each direction) is poor. This
may
> > be related to the high pitch whine you hear. It's possible that, if this
is
> > fixed, your connection would improve quite a bit.
>
> I mentioned this is my email to USR tech support.
>
> > First, compare your Dad's ati6i11 to yours (collect data after similar
time
> > online and similar amounts of data and activity) to see if there are any
> > glaring differences. Make sure you use the same line for each; that
includes
> > using the same wall jack.
>
> I pulled my dad's modem off his computer and hooked it up to mine.  So my
> setup was exactly the same as before, only with his modem.  I couldn't get
> his modem to do an unwanted disconnect like mine does (the ARQ led *never*
> flashed at all), so I just took ppp down on my own.  Here's the ati6i11 on
> his modem:
>

> ati6i11
> U.S. Robotics 56K FAX EXT Link Diagnostics...
>
> Chars sent               279832      Chars Received          4087031
> Chars lost                    0
> Octets sent              118321      Octets Received         3848973
> Blocks sent                6561      Blocks Received           33687
> Blocks resent                16
>
> Retrains Requested            0      Retrains Granted              1
> Line Reversals                0      Blers                       175
> Link Timeouts                 1      Link Naks                     1
>
> Data Compression       V42BIS 2048/32
> Equalization           Long
> Fallback               Enabled
> Protocol               LAPM/SREJ
> Speed                  37333/21600
> V.90 Peak Speed        38666
> Last Call              00:30:00
>
> Disconnect Reason is DTR dropped
>
> U.S. Robotics 56K FAX EXT Link Diagnostics...
>

> Modulation                  V.90
> Carrier Freq     (Hz)       None/1920
> Symbol Rate                 8000/3200
> Trellis Code                None/64S-4D
> Nonlinear Encoding          None/ON
> Precoding                   None/ON
> Shaping                     ON/ON
> Preemphasis      (-dB)      24325/8
> Recv/Xmit Level  (-dBm)     32/15
> Near Echo Loss   (dB)       8
> Far Echo Loss    (dB)       0
> Carrier Offset   (Hz)       NONE
> Round Trip Delay (msec)     9
> Timing Offset    (ppm)      570
> SNR              (dB)       38.2
> Speed Shifts Up/Down/Null   0/0/0

Ok, you have a poor line. Your Dad's modem handles it better. I have found
my Sportster (178600) handles my line a bit better also so the Courier sits
as a spare. How does his modem do on his computer? You can query it the same
after he has disconnected from a connection. Compare the stats and see if
they look similar.

> OK
>
> > You can also compare an aty11 for each modem. This is a frequency curve
> > which should match up fairly closely when used on the same phone line.
If
> > they don't, it points to problems with the Courier that would add to the
> > need for repairs.
>
> Here's the aty11 for my dad's modem:
>
> aty11
>
> Freq         Level (dB)
>
> 150           12
> 300           12
> 450           12
> 600           13
> 750           14
> 900           15
> 1050          16
> 1200          17
> 1350          18
> 1500          19
> 1650          19
> 1800          20
> 1950          21
> 2100          22
> 2250          22
> 2400          23
> 2550          23
> 2700          24
> 2850          24
> 3000          25
> 3150          26
> 3300          29
> 3450          32
> 3600          37
> 3750          43
> OK
>
> And here's the aty11 for my modem (the Courier):
>
> aty11
> Freq     Level
>  150     19
>  300     19
>  450     19
>  600     20
>  750     21
>  900     22
> 1050     23
> 1200     24
> 1350     24
> 1500     25
> 1650     26
> 1800     27
> 1950     28
> 2100     28
> 2250     29
> 2400     29
> 2550     30
> 2700     30
> 2850     31
> 3000     32
> 3150     33
> 3300     35
> 3450     38
> 3600     43
> 3750     50
>
> OK
>
> I don't know what these numbers mean, but they the two modems are
> different.

It points out the differences in how the line is "viewed" by each. The curve
is gradual enough with non great rolloff at the higher frequencies. However,
the Courier is a bit more "down in the mud" than the Sportster. You have to
realize the level numbers are negative ones. Look at them as -dB figures.

> I had another disconnect on my Courier, and I took another ati6i11 reading
> afterwords.  The disconnect reason is different this time (you'll also
> notice that this connection didn't last long at all, barely over 1k
> transferred before the carrier was lost):
>
> ati6i11
> USRobotics Courier V.Everything Link Diagnostics...
>
> Chars sent                15248      Chars Received           130386
> Chars lost                    0
> Octets sent                8150      Octets Received           97826
> Blocks sent                 858      Blocks Received             933
> Blocks resent                 0
>
> Retrains Requested            0      Retrains Granted              0
> Line Reversals                0      Blers                      1641
> Link Timeouts                 1      Link Naks                     0
>
> Data Compression       V42BIS 2048/32
> Equalization           Long
> Fallback               Enabled
> Protocol               LAPM 128/15
> Speed                  36000/21600
> Last Call              00:27:14
>
> Disconnect Reason is Invalid Codeword

Ok, what's the firmware date on this modem? You can find that in the ati7
response. It appears you need to flash the modem. That invalid codeword is a
V.42 issue.

The latest code is  March of 1998. If you have older code than that, just
download the latest SDL from USR support...

http://www.usr.com/support/drivers-template.asp?prod=s-cour

Read the instructions carefully. You can use the Xmodem transfer method to
do the flash.

Hooda