Linux-Hardware Digest #32, Volume #14            Thu, 14 Dec 00 17:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Re: Proliant 1000 SCSI ? ("Robert M. Stockmann")
  Re: WAS [Help please] Now: MIME? message number 2 (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: WAS [Help please] Now: MIME? message number 2 (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: WAS [Help please] Now: MIME? message number 1 (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Internal IDE Zip drive (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: 120M Superdisk (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: HP DeskJet 930C printer driver? (James Richard Tyrer)
  Socket A, ATA100, was Re: Socket 7 board w/ ATA100 for Linux? (Matt O'Toole)
  Install redhat 6.2 whit 2.3.3 kernel ("Luke")
  ATI Rage Fury (Robert)
  ATI TV Wonder VE under Mandrake 7.2?? (Paul L)
  Re: SCSI Controller not recognized by Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Help! Kernel Panic and not only! ("Ciccio")
  new hard disk ("Ivan  Danicic")
  Re: Linux on Compaq Presario 1800 (Franklin Marmon)
  odd question: furbies (Spork Boy)
  Re: new hard disk (Tony Curtis)
  3COM 3c509b-TPO Won't Work ("Cooper Drury")
  Re: HELP:IRQ problem I think.... (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: <no dial tone> ("Alk")
  Re: Creative CT5880 Sound ? ("Alk")
  Re: HPT370 and RH7.0 (Alexander Dalloz)
  zip drive. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Robert M. Stockmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: Proliant 1000 SCSI ?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:43:18 +0100

Yes wrote:

> hi,
>
> Trying to instal Suse 7.0 onto Proliant 1000.
> No luck so far, because I did not succeed in loading SCSI module sim710
> during
> setup.
>
> Hardware:
>
> NCR 53c710 On Board, looked at the chips on the motherboard.
> IRQ 15  I/O 8000 Derived from both Windows (settings) and from Compaq
> Configuration Utility.
>
> Tried to pass parameters during loading of module sim710 in various ways
> 0x8000
> io=0x8000
> 0x8000 15
> 0x8000,15
> addr:0x8000,irq:15
>
> etc, nothing worked :(

have a look here :

http://www.sleepie.demon.co.uk/ncr53c710/index.html

on EISA machine's (a proliant 1000 is EISA) you would do :

insmod sim710 sim710=addr:0x7000,irq=15

if the eisa card is inserted inside slot 7. its also immediate the IO
address on a EISA machine, so i've been told. Before doing this
run the eisa config from floppy and check with configure computer
en details which resources the SCSI controller uses and inside which
slot number its reported.

regards

Robert
--
++---------------------++---------------------------------++
|| R.M. Stockmann      ||   InfoMagic Nederland VOF       ||

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WAS [Help please] Now: MIME? message number 2
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:45:53 GMT

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Unrot13 this;
> Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Gene Heskett sends Greetings to James Richard;

<SNIP>

> Obviously Mozilla is smart enough that it doesn't bother with the MIME
> stuff when its sending plain text.
>
> IF the message contains any MIME attachements, there will be IN THE
> HEADER AREA, an line defining the boundary marker, which is usually a
> fairly long string of randomly generated characters surrounded by a
> fixed number of dashes.
>
> IF this is defined, then when the reader software encounters it, it
> reverts to the header read mode, reading the next line to find out what
> sort of data the next section of text represents, and its name.  It then
> reads the base64'd data, decodes it and writes to the filename until it
> hits the next copy of the trigger line.
>
> ISTR the trigger line must be preceeded and followed by a blank line.
>
> For all the claimants to this argument, there were NO mimed messages in
> this thread as it arrived here.  My reader, Amiga's THOR, can be
> switched with the click of a button to show me the full, complete
> message raw.  Other newsreaders should be as versatile and complete.
> Sadly, nothing I've looked at in the linux offerings even comes close.

Thank you for your expertise in e-mail.  I have noticed these strings of
digits and could clearly see that they were some sort of delimiters but
did not fully understand them.

It also appears -- after some further research -- the they seem to have
confused the MIME format with MIME encoding (either quotable printable
or base64)

I am not all that happy with Netscape Messenger but I need a smart
reader.
The THOR feature sounds quite useful.  With Netscape you have to open a
separate window to see the "raw" message.

JRT

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:49:37 GMT

Lew Pitcher wrote:

> ?????

Yes, I am having a bad day :-).

JRT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: WAS [Help please] Now: MIME? message number 1
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:50:19 GMT

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:38:20 GMT, James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Lew Pitcher wrote:
>
>> ???

>That is what it looks when you (accidentally) send a vCard as plain text.
>
>JRT

Nope.

That's what it looks like to a minimal (but standards compliant) newsreader when
you send a vCard at all. Plain text has nothing to do with it; a vCard is a
specific layout imbedded in a MIME section, which of course requires that the
entire message be imbedded in MIME sections.

Turn of vCard, and you'll be able to lose the MIME

Lew Pitcher
IT Consultant, Development Services
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internal IDE Zip drive
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:56:40 GMT

Joe Fahy wrote:

> I searched for info on the above but I have not been able to find anything
> out. Does anyone know if these are supported devices?

Yes, I have one and it works.

For full support, you need a Kernel with "IDE/ATAPI Floppy" support built in.

There is one quirk.  ZIP disks use partition 4.  Therefore, if you add it as
the slave on the secondary IDE channel (ide1).  On the same ribbon cable as
your CD-ROM.  It will be "/dev/hdd4"

JRT

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 120M Superdisk
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:04:30 GMT

"J. Bhasker" wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am trying to use a 120M Superdisk drive on my Toshiba Tecra 8100
> running SuSE6.4 linux. I tried mtools to copy files to the Superdisk
> but I get error. For example, on issuing "mdir", I get:
>
> Cant set disk parameters for A: invalid argument.
> Cannot initialize 'A:'
>
> What am I doing wrong? Is there a different mechanism that I can
> use to copy files from my linux dir to the superdisk floppy?
>
> If I use a regular 1.44M floppy, I dont have any problem with
> mtools.
>
> - bhasker

I would guess that "mtools" knows nothing about a 120M floppy.  Perhaps,
you could tell it, but I don't know.

It is best to treat it as a hard disk and add it to "fstab" as such.  I
think that it might use partition 4 like a ZIP does.

For full support, you need a Kernel with "IDE/ATAPI Floppy" support
built in.

I have my own custom built Kernel and don't know what various
distributions include.

JRT

PS    Would someone that owns one of these please fill in the blanks?

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP DeskJet 930C printer driver?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:18:11 GMT

John English wrote:

> Can anyone tell me where I can find a driver for an HP DeskJet 930C
> printer driver? I've configured it as a different model HP colour
> Deskjet, and it prints OK, but everything comes out as B&W...

For more info see:

 http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=175232

The lack of color might be a setup problem.

What print filter are you using?

JRT

------------------------------

From: Matt O'Toole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Socket A, ATA100, was Re: Socket 7 board w/ ATA100 for Linux?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:19:17 GMT

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> Is there a good AMD based board available with ATA100 that works with
> Linux?  I'm not interested in RAID or overclocking, or tying up a slot
> with
> a separate controller.  If not, is there one coming soon?

Sorry, I think I meant Socket A!

Matt O.

------------------------------

From: "Luke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Install redhat 6.2 whit 2.3.3 kernel
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:32:40 GMT

I have a PC whit ASUS P3BF motherboard and a UltraDMA66 13 GB hard-disk
connected to the board whit a UltraDMA PCI card.  I'm not able to install
Linux
(Redhat 6.2). Linux couldn't recognize my Promise TechnologyUltraDMA card
and conseguently the hard-disk.
I've heard that kernel 2.3.3 supports this card. How can I get it and how
can I install Redhat 6.2 whit it?
Thanks in advance.

From: Robert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI Rage Fury
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:34:12 GMT

Hi all!
anyone been succesful on configuring an ATI Rage Fury under xfree86
4.0.1?
i actually can only get 640x480, which is *pathetic*

please any related information is welcome, thanks very much

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul L)
Subject: ATI TV Wonder VE under Mandrake 7.2??
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:38:56 GMT

I have an ATI TV Wonder VE.  I just bought the card, and I have not
gotten the TV Tuner function to work correctly in Windows 98.  Is
there software to make it work under Linux?  I am running Mandrake
7.2.  I want to see if the card itself is bad, or if the problem is
just Windows crap.  Thanks!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SCSI Controller not recognized by Linux?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:27:44 GMT

Pizza et al:
Thanks for the info.  I was able to get the machine to recognize the
SCSI drive using the /sbin/modprobe command.  Afterwards, I checked the
"/etc/conf.modules" file for the "alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx"
line.  The "alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx" line was already in my
/etc/conf.modules file.  Each time I reboot I am forced to issue the
/sbin/modprobe command in order for the machine to recognize my SCSI
card and Jaz drive.  It seems like I am missing something to get the
machine to automatically recognize the SCSI card at boot up.  Any help
is greatly appreciated.

Thanks-
Rodney

In article <918q4s$qk4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Stuffed Crust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] blatt:
> > I am having considerable trouble configuring the Adaptec 2930U SCSI
card
> > (along with Jaz drive) on my Redhat 6.2 System.  I have completed
the
> > physical installation and it is my belief that everything has been
> > completed correctly.
>
> does "modprobe aic7xxx" give you anything?
>
> If it does, add "alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx" to /etc/conf.modules
>
> > Linux version 2.2.14-5.0 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version
> > egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Tue Mar 7
20:53:41

> And upgrade the kernel to at least 2.2.16; there be nasty security
> problems with this one.
>
>  - Pizza
> --
> Solomon Peachy
pizzaATfucktheusers.org
> I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.
> Patience comes to those who wait.
>     ...It's not "Beanbag Love", it's a "Transanimate Relationship"...

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Ciccio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help! Kernel Panic and not only!
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:57:56 +0100

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm a beginner in Linux World, and I have a lot of problem!
I installed a RedHat 7.0 without problems, i have an hardware very recently:
Asus A7V with an Athalon k7 700, hard disk Maxtor Udma 100! I took the new
kernel 2.4 ( linux-2.4.0-test12.tar.gz) and i followed the instruction about
the configuration and installation: xconfig, make dep etc... , but after the
boot the system show the follow message: Can't determinate the libraries
version, or similar, and after "Kernel Panic"!
Can you help me???

Thank you (sorry for my english)

Simone Maccanti
University of Pisa
e_mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Ivan  Danicic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: new hard disk
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:37:53 -0000

Hello,
My pc has two hard discs: disk 1 for windows 98, disk 2 for linux (debian).
I have always accessed disk 1 from linux with the command "mount /dev/hda1"
(as root) with the corresponding line in /etc/fstab:
/dev/hda1   /win  vfat   defaults  0  2

Now disk 1 has been replaced by a larger one which has had to be partitioned
into two parts, known to windows 98 as drive C: and drive D:.
Now the mount command as above accesses C: but not D:. How can I access
D: from linux?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Ivan
--
London, UK_________________________
|  Eppur' si muove  - - Galileo    |

------------------------------

From: Franklin Marmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on Compaq Presario 1800
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:09:51 -0700

The screen and card are the same as I have in my laptop.  I had a problem
making
X work as well but built XFree86(4.0.1) from source and compiled in the Mach64

drivers (which are non-standard and are in development).  It works great.  I
get
1024x768 full res video accelerated.  The instructions to do this are on the
linuxppc.org site.  http://linuxppc.org/documentation/xf4/

hope this helps.

frm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Spork Boy)
Subject: odd question: furbies
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:16:54 GMT

I know this sounds odd, but does anyone know where I could find some info on
interfacing with a furby via computer?

------------------------------

From: Tony Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: new hard disk
Date: 14 Dec 2000 15:17:37 -0600

>> On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:37:53 -0000,
>> "Ivan  Danicic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Hello, My pc has two hard discs: disk 1 for windows 98, disk 2 for
> linux (debian).  I have always accessed disk 1 from linux with the
> command "mount /dev/hda1" (as root) with the corresponding line in
> /etc/fstab: /dev/hda1 /win vfat defaults 0 2

> Now disk 1 has been replaced by a larger one which has had to be
> partitioned into two parts, known to windows 98 as drive C: and
> drive D:.  Now the mount command as above accesses C: but not
> D:. How can I access D: from linux?

Well, presumably since D is immediately after C, then ___ is
immediately after /dev/hda1

Fill in the blank :-)

hth
Eih bennek, eih blavek.

------------------------------

From: "Cooper Drury" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3COM 3c509b-TPO Won't Work
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:11:37 -0600

I have a 3COM 3c509b-TPO (not running in PnP mode) that my system won't
accept.  Red Hat installation support couldn't figure it out.  The card
works in win98 (when it's in PnP mode), but I can't get it to work in Red
Hat Linux 6.2.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP:IRQ problem I think....
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:10:05 +0100

"Mr. M" wrote:
> "Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?"
> "Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 2d" (sometimes it says 3d)
> "Dazed and confuzed, but trying to continue"

So, do you have any power savings enabled in your CMOS setup? This kind
of messages could also come from parity errors on your memory.

regards Henrik

------------------------------

From: "Alk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: <no dial tone>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:48:31 +0200

Support for many USB devices (modems etc) is present in 2.4 kernels and
2.2.18
For dialtone - read modems manual and program it accordingly to your
dialtone or disable its detection - usually with minicom and write following
AT commands to modems port:
AT&F - reset modem
ATX0 - disable dialtone/busy detection
AT&W - store it in power-on profile
Power off and on
ATDT1 - check if it is dialing blind
Or omit all above and use an initialization string AT&FX0 for modem if you
don't want to reprogram your modem
Or have a look at windows .inf file and look for string "blind_on" and code
after it is right one to use in place of my X0

AG

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Alk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creative CT5880 Sound ?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 23:12:15 +0200

It works fine once you load right driver - build it into kernel or load
module, but not with sndconfig, I've had success with SB Live! (PCI) and
Yamaha 740c (onboard PCI) this way, I think your driver is already present
in kernel 2.2.17 or 18, but I don't know which one of them is best for your
soundcard - i.e. supporting most features of it

AG

------------------------------

From: Alexander Dalloz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.kernel.general
Subject: Re: HPT370 and RH7.0
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:47:17 +0100

In article <KW9Z5.59931$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Jurriaan:
>
> Is this to say that I can also tweak the lilo.conf to get my HPT366 and
> HPT370 controllers able to allow Linux 7 to see the disks?  As you are
> aware, I cannot install Linux (any version or vendor) until I do something
> so that Linux will see the drives. (getting: No drives found)
>
> My understanding is that you did something to enable Linux to see the disks,
> so it installed.  You did not have to bebuild the kernel because this method
> worked out for you.
>
> What specifically did you do to tweak the lilo.conf?
>
> FYI: I'm a Unix application developer who is struggling to get Linux 7 up on
> any one of the 6 ABit/Highpoint machines...installation does not complete-
> No drives found.
>
> Any clues?
>
> Thanks,
> DjM

check this:

How do I install Linux on my KT7-RAID?
This is based on installing Linux on a KT7-RAID using a 2.4.0-test
kernel.  Thanks to Dènis Riedijk for this contribution (any questions to
him not me please!)

Connect HD to the normal IDE controller
Install Linux
Boot Linux
Get source to a recent kernel (I used 2.4.0-test8) & install version
2.3.15 of modutils
Configure the kernel (make xconfig / make menuconfig / make config). A
config file is available here, save as .config in your kernel source
directory. Make sure to include:  HPT366 support
 Boot offboard chipset first support
 USB support if you want it
 other USB options. (for example see the config file above)
 If you have a MS Intellimouse Explorer, and want to use all 7 buttons,
use this version of mousedev.c (put it in the drivers/input directory of
your kernel source) instead of the standard one in 2.4.0-test8 (this may
be unneeded for later kernels)
 If you want to use a USB mouse, make sure gpm will not run when booting
up (in /etc/init.d in RedHat) otherwise, your keyboard will not function
anymore

Make clean dep bzImage modules
Become root
Make modules_install
Copy arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/2.4.0-test8
Edit /etc/lilo.conf
Copy from the standard kernel change /boot/linux to /boot/2.4.0-test8
(do not change the default setting yet)
Run lilo
Shut down
Plug cable to HD on the Highpoint controller
Boot, press <DEL> change bootup device to ATA100RAID
Boot, press <CTRL + H> to enter highpoint BIOS, set mode to the right
one, set the disk to boot
Boot, on the lilo prompt type 2.4.0-test8 ide=reverse
The kernel will now boot, if everything is alright. Your CDROM will be
another device (For example : hdc -> hdg, hdd -> hdh) because the
onboard controllers will now be ide2 & ide3. So change your fstab
accordingly
If you feel alright with the settings, change /etc/lilo.conf, set 2.4.0-
test8 as default, and add a line append="ide-reverse" below the line
default-2.4.0-test8. Here is an example lilo.conf
Run lilo, and don't forget to compile HPT366 & Boot offboard chipsets
first support into the kernel, in each new kernel you compile.
Getting your usbmouse recognised upon use.
Run makedev /dev/input/mice 13 63 (CHECK NUMBERS)
Edit /etc/modules.conf
Add the following , or copy from this[modules.conf] one:
 alias char-major-13 explorerusb
 alias explorerusb usb-uhci
 post-install usb-uhci modprobe mousedev
 post-install mousedev modprobe hid

Run depmod -a. Make sure there is no mention of unresolved symbols.
Now your mouse will be recognised when needed
--

Alexander Dalloz
Enger, Germany

PGP fingerprint: 2307 88FD 2D41 038E 7416  14CD E197 6E88 ED69 5653
PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: zip drive.
Date: 14 Dec 2000 21:15:46 GMT

Stupid question. But, is the zip drive itself the same for the parallel and scsi.
Basically what I'm getting at is can I just switch out cable and use the drive either
way?

Linux Programmer's Site