  lm_sensors and a ASUS A7V (Nathan Hollingsworth)

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux!
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 05:13:16 GMT

All this hardware works because they all have the fortune of being based
around America's top 10% hardware.

1. Soundblaster Live: PCI sound system from the SB64 base of sound
processors
2. Creative Annihaltor: nVidia GeForce2 GTS; the best, most popular video
graphics chipset in North America
3. Microsoft Intellimouse: It's a mouse.  With token support for USB (which
was desgined around supporting MICE and Keyboards) in the Linux kernel, this
works.
4.Xirlink USB camera: Uses the same TWAIN dynamics that digicam's and
scanners used since the Casio QV-10, why it works over USB?  Luck.
5.HP LaserJet 2100M: I'll bet you this thing doesn't work outside of 75DPI
printing.  This printer features legacy firmware so it can accomidate a lack
of software commands.
6. Adaptec 2940UW: Nothing says generic SCSI adaptor like Adaptec's 2000
series SCSI adaptors.
7.3com 3c905 NIC: Another generic NIC card.
8.USB-ZIP250: Linux's USB layer was engeneered with mice, keyboards and
iomega's USB devices in mind.  No DUH that this works.
9.Jaz 1G: It's a tape drive, it's from iomega.  But it's still a tape drive.

So you see, your stock collection of top hardware, and hardware based around
other top 10% hardware makes your system the ideal runner for a Linux
distro.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Scott Rainaldo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: /dev/sequencer problem es1371
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 05:23:17 GMT

Hello all,

My soundblaster PCI 64 (es1371) works fine so far for playing CDs, mp3s,
and wavs (all PCM output?).  However, whenever I try to play midi files or
even open any program which uses /dev/sequencer I get an error.

Example:

        $ kmid
        KMid 2.0 Copyright (C) 1997,98,99,2000 Antonio Larrosa Jimenez. Malaga

        (Spain)
        KMid comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details view file COPYING
        under certain conditions
        ERROR: Couldn't open /dev/sequencer to get some information

Here is what my /etc/modules.conf looks like:

alias char-major-107 3dfx
pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
alias usb-interface usb-uhci
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
pre-install plip modprobe parport_pc ; echo 7 > /proc/parport/0/irq
alias eth0 3c59x
options es1371 joystick=0x200
alias sound-slot-0 es1371
alias sound-service-0-1 es1371

Can anyone tell me what I am missing or doing wrong?  Thank you!

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSe on Win98
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 05:57:34 GMT

Tiefenbacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What do you think of my way of partitioning:

Read the Partition-HOWTO.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:56:02 -0500

jtnews wrote:

> If I reverse engineer the camera protocol through the USB interface,
> develop a Linux driver, distribute the driver under the GPL
> over the Internet, can I be sued by Intel for violating their
> intellectual property?

NOPE!

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (C) above.

   her behavior improves.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "owl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Buffalo SCSI-III PCMICA Card
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:20:49 +0800

I has just bought a Buffalo SCSI-III PCMICA Card (Card Bus) and it is about
the half price of Adaptec-1480.
Do anybody know if there is Linux driver for it ?

--
Andy Won
Web Development Engineer

------------------------------

From: "Ilbey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compaq SCSI
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:16:37 +0900

Hi ,
I have a compaq scsi adapter with aic3860q chipset.
#echo "scsi add-single-drive 0 0 6 0" >proc/scsi/scsi
cat proc/scsi/scsi dont find my scsi.
Is this a compatibility problem or am i making something wrong?
Any suggestion?

From: "Don Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: open gl + Nvidia 9-5 + Tnt under Redhat 7
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:21:09 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Daniel"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yeah I did remove all the Mesa files that they had listed.  Did you use  the
> latest drivers? the 0.9-5?  I will try rem out that line though and  see what
> happens.

 Yep, I am using the 0.9-5 drivers.

--
Don Ward
dwarthogatbresnanlin.knet

------------------------------

From: Nathan Hollingsworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: any Good MB for Duron?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 06:34:49 GMT

I am running a Duron 700 on a ASUS A7V with no probs too.

------------------------------

From: Nathan Hollingsworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 7.0 & Promise UATA66 Controller
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 06:49:32 GMT

I know with my 2.4 kernel I have to add the kernel option ide=reverse for my
promise card.  This makes the kernel boot the onboard ide second and the promise
controller first so that your primary shows up as hda.

------------------------------

From: Nathan Hollingsworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATA-66 drive that only detects as ATA-33
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:18:17 GMT

Hey everyone,

Fixed my problem.  I just enabled the kernel option:

"Ignore word93 validation bits"

on the ATA page of the 2.4 kernel.

And everything works fine now.  Here is what I get now:

hda: 26564832 sectors (13601 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=1653/255/63, UDMA(66)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.kernel
Subject: Re: bootable raid 1
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:18:14 GMT

I am pleased that I have
overcome this issue and here are my conclusions.

My previous raid configuration was set up using CHS method for
harddisk geometry. There was no reason for doing this other than it
was a part of the diagnostic procedure for a previous issues regarding
a western digital harddrive that identifies itself to the tyan bios as
being ata66 but really only operates reliably at ata33. The CHS really
had nothing to do with the timing issue, but I suspect that the
partition table arrangement did. The symptom of this timing issue was
not being able to reliably modify the harddrive's partition tables,
strangely enough. Mandrakeuser.org has the write up about certain
western digital harddrives that have this issue.

When using CHS, the block arrangement for the boot partitions on both
the drives is different that with LBA. LBA arranges partition sizes
equally. I am not 100% certain, but this is the only change that I
implemented that made the difference. It might explain why when both
drives were installed that the system booted, but when either was
removed, it would not boot.

Using LBA translation method in both the BIOS and with fdisk using
matching LBA geometries, I can now boot from either drive- the way
raid1 is meant to be  . . .

Other Details:
I am using kernel 2.2.18 with all the patches and recommendations that
Godfrey Livingstone provided.
All is well with this and I will be doing benchmarks at 32k size
chunks shortly.
I am using lilo 21.5 and a single lilo.conf.

Here are my partition arrangements OLD and NEW:

OLD:

Disk /dev/hda: 15 heads, 63 sectors, 13328 cylinders
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1            63     68039     33988+  fd  Linux raid
autodetect
/dev/hda2         68040  12278384   6105172+  fd  Linux raid
autodetect
/dev/hda3      12278385  12594959    158287+  82  Linux swap

Disk /dev/hdc: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 16278 cylinders
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdc1            63     66527     33232+  fd  Linux raid
autodetect
/dev/hdc2         66528  12275423   6104448   fd  Linux raid
autodetect
/dev/hdc3      12275424  12594959    159768   82  Linux swap

NEW

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 784 cylinders
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1            63     80324     40131   fd  Linux raid
autodetect
/dev/hda2         80325  12289724   6104700   fd  Linux raid
autodetect
/dev/hda3      12289725  12594959    152617+  82  Linux swap

Disk /dev/hdc: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1021 cylinders
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdc1            63     80324     40131   fd  Linux raid
autodetect
/dev/hdc2         80325  12289724   6104700   fd  Linux raid
autodetect
/dev/hdc3      12289725  12594959    152617+  82  Linux swap

Here is my /etc/lilo.conf:

#boot=/dev/hda
boot=/dev/md1
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=vmlinuz
vga=normal
keytable=/boot/us.klt
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinux
label=vmlinux
# root=/dev/hda2
root=/dev/md0
append=" ide3=autotune ide1=autotune ide0=autotune hdh=ide-scsi"
read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=vmlinuz
# root=/dev/hda2
root=/dev/md0
append=" ide3=autotune ide1=autotune ide0=autotune hdh=ide-scsi"
read-only

Thanks again for all of your help!
Charles Wilkins

------------------------------

From: Josh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,git.unix.linux
Subject: PCMCIA, winmodems(gag), and Acer TravelMate
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 02:40:15 -0500

I have an Acer TravelMate 737TLV, running red hat 6.2 with kernel
2.2.16.  Until now I haven't needed to use a modem since I have a LAN, but
now I'm trying to set up a PPP dialup connection via modem.  Does anyone
know the current status of "winmodems" under kernel 2.2.16?  Are they dead
weight?  If so, I'd like to use a PCMCIA card, which I've been attempting,
with no success.  When the OS boots up I get an "OK" from "Starting
pcmcia" but I don't know what device it is, or how to do anything with
it.. could anybody offer a suggestion as to how to go about setting up a
PCMCIA modem and dialing up?  Thanks...

Josh Jones
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
1641174

------------------------------

From: "Pierre-Andre Rovelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to configure ESS688 soundcard to play mp3 files under SUSE 7.0
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:55:33 +0000 (UTC)

I have installed SUSE 7.0 on a Compaq Deskpro 5120. The Soundcard is a
ESS688 audiodrive. I have installed it manually using YAST2 under ESS688
Audiodrive. I can play WAV and audio-cd files but mp3 doesn't work. Does
anybody know what's wrong ?

Thank you in advance for your help

Pierre-Andre Rovelli

From: Nathan Hollingsworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: lm_sensors and a ASUS A7V
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 08:04:07 GMT

Hey,

Has anyone got lm_sensors to work with an ASUS A7V?  I can't seem to get
it to work at all.  I am trying to get it to work with a 2.4.0-test12
kernel.

Nathan