Linux-Hardware Digest #66, Volume #14            Wed, 20 Dec 00 18:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: vxa-1, rh7 freeze up ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: NIC problems (Pankajkumar Chauhan)
  slow printing rh6.2 ("internet.usinet.rrmjone2")
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! (John Travis)
  Linux Raid 0+1 ?  (SCSI) ("Jonathon Caywood")
  Abit KT7-RAID & Linux Software RAID ("Daniel Chuen")
  S: günstige oder gratis PCs ("DI Soleiman Ali")
  Re: Pb with RealTek LAN Adapter (Richard Watson)
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  PR 440 FX Pentium Pro Mainboard (Marc)
  Scsi CDROM question. ("Jeff Holsinger")
  Re: Rage 128 Pro (ATI) (Ron Grigg)
  Linux SCSI card is not configured at boot up ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Regular PCI to Compact PCI riser card? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Scsi CDROM question. ("dumon")
  Re: My new system... (Ralph Miguel Hansen)
  Re: CPU temp ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Abit KT7-RAID & Linux Software RAID (Luckydaze)
  Adaptec SCSI (Julian Bordas)
  Re: Abit KT7-RAID & Linux Software RAID (Luckydaze)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: vxa-1, rh7 freeze up
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:04:36 GMT

Hi All,

   I do believe I solved my freeze up problem.  I think
I was "Flooding" my ISA bus.

   I replaced the aha-1522 ISA bus scvsi controller
with a PCI bus AdvanSys ABP3925 controller.  My
dump time dropped from 54 minutes to 18 minutes.
And no freeze ups either.

  I appreciate everyone's tips and support.

Many thanks,
--Tony

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Pankajkumar Chauhan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NIC problems
Date: 20 Dec 2000 15:13:04 -0500

just a wild thought, but did you by any chance the cable or something?
Does the LED glow and stuff?

Pankaj

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:16:24 -0800
From: "internet.usinet.rrmjone2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: slow printing rh6.2

I have a rh6.2 lpd server that was running fine until i upgraded a
workstation to rh7.0 with LPRng.

Now the server accepts the client files into the spool dir, and just
lets them sit there for several minutes.
sometimes the lock file has the job nmber and file name and nothing
happens.

lpq status says lp printing and ready, but several files sit there not
getting printed.

the other workstation still on rh6.2 also has this problem.

the server will print right away from the console.

maybe off tpic but help appreciated.

rfjones

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Travis)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux!
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:22:15 GMT

And [EMAIL PROTECTED] spoke unto the masses...

>So finally, December 14th, 2000 the card gets what still amounts to
>half ass'd support.
>
>Where is the surround sound BTW?

Umm.. that's what the entertainment center is for.  My harmon/kardon's sound
great in Linux, Windows and FreeBSD.

>Works fine for me. Must be something you are doing wrong.

Actually it was more a question to confirm what card you have, and who you
probably are...

>Acceptable?
>
>What you really mean is that although they "work", they are not as
>good as the Windows versions and your card is not performing up to the
>level of performance it was designed for.

No it performs very well in either OS (TNT2 Ultra), because erm...the drivers
are the same genious.

jt
--
Debian Gnu/Linux [Woody]
2.4.0-test9-ReiserFs|XFree4.0.1|nVidia.95 Drivers

------------------------------

From: "Jonathon Caywood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Raid 0+1 ?  (SCSI)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:43:26 -0500

Greetings,

    I'm working on a Linux system here running 9 73 Gig Seagate
Cheetas(U160) on a Mylex Acceleraid 352 dual channel card.   My intention
was to use 8 drives in a raid 0+1 configuration, and have 1 as an active
spare.   This worked out alright I thought.  I configured and initialized
the drive array with the Mylex controller as Raid 0+1, but in actual
operation the Mylex raid drivers report:

=====
Logical Drives:
    /dev/rd/c0d0: RAID-6, Online, 573358080 blocks
                  Logical Device Initialized, BIOS Geometry: 255/63
                  Stripe Size: 64KB, Segment Size: 8KB
                  Read Cache Disabled, Write Cache Disabled
                  No Rebuild or Consistency Check in Progress
----

Raid-6!??!  The file space when a 'df' is performed shows up properly as the
space I should get with 0+1, which is about 283 Gigs but something isn't
adding up here, any information, ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

    Jon Caywood

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Chuen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Subject: Abit KT7-RAID & Linux Software RAID
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:46:57 -0700

Hi,

Has anyone tried to created a Software RAID 0 drive under Redhat Linux 7.0?
I followed the instructions to create the /etc/raidtab file with the
following settings on a Abit KT7-RAID motherboard with 2 Maxtor 20GB 7200RPM
ATA100 hard drives.  Kernel was recompile to include the raid modules.

/etc/raidtab
raiddev                 /dev/md0
raid-level              0    # it's not obvious but this *must* be
                             # right after raiddev
persistent-superblock   1    # set this to 1 if you want autostart,
                             # BUT SETTING TO 1 WILL DESTROY PREVIOUS
                             # CONTENTS if this is a RAID0 array created
                             # by older raidtools (0.40-0.51) or mdtools!
chunk-size              16
nr-raid-disks           2
nr-spare-disks          0
device                  /dev/hde1
raid-disk               0
device                  /dev/hdg1
raid-disk               1

when I try to run mkraid, it give the following error:

[root@sql /root]# mkraid /dev/md0
handling MD device /dev/md0
analyzing super-block
disk 0: /dev/hde1, 20010784kB, raid superblock at 20010688kB
disk 1: /dev/hdg1, 20010784kB, raid superblock at 20010688kB
mkraid: aborted, see the syslog and /proc/mdstat for potential clues.
======================

cat /proc/mdstat result in the following:
Personalities : [2 raid0]
read_ahead not set
md0 : inactive
md1 : inactive
md2 : inactive
md3 : inactive

both hard drives /dev/hde and /dev/hdg are partitioned as type fd
Disk /dev/hde: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 39704 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hde1             1     39704  20010784+  fd  Linux raid autodetect

Disk /dev/hdg: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 39704 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hde1             1     39704  20010784+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
==================

The kernel has been patch for the highpoint controller and is functioning
properly.  The kernel has no problem detecting and formating the drivers
individually.

Am I missing something here?  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Daniel Chuen

------------------------------

From: "DI Soleiman Ali" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: S: günstige oder gratis PCs
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:54:52 +0100

S: günstige oder gratis PCs

Für einen Verein in Graz suche ich günstige oder gratis PCs, die
windowsfähig sind (ab Win95).

DI Soleiman Ali
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tel. + 43 (0)676 40 131 20

------------------------------

From: Richard Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Pb with RealTek LAN Adapter
Date: 20 Dec 2000 20:58:42 +0000

Wine Development <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> As I understand it the 8029 is not supported under Linux. the 8129 and
> 8139 are.

Not so.

  ne2k-pci.c:v1.02 10/19/2000 D. Becker/P. Gortmaker
  http://www.scyld.com/network/ne2k-pci.html
  eth0: RealTek RTL-8029 found at 0x7000, IRQ 11, 00:00:E8:F0:5F:92.

All you need it to modprobe ne2k-pci and there it is.

--
Richard Watson
[EMAIL PROTECTED] GPG/PGP:0xAE411550 ICQ:65274884

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:56:15 GMT

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:22:15 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Travis) wrote:

>And [EMAIL PROTECTED] spoke unto the masses...
>
>>So finally, December 14th, 2000 the card gets what still amounts to
>>half ass'd support.
>>
>>Where is the surround sound BTW?
>
>Umm.. that's what the entertainment center is for.  My harmon/kardon's sound
>great in Linux, Windows and FreeBSD.

Didn't know HK could play games.

BTW where "is" surround sound support for the Soundblaster?
You pay $20.00 for an OSS version and it still, half ass'd.

The card has only been out for something like 4 years or so and it
looks like, true to form, Linux will support it when Creative
discontinues it.

>>Works fine for me. Must be something you are doing wrong.
>
>Actually it was more a question to confirm what card you have, and who you
>probably are...

Plug the card in and enjoy all of it's features, features that you
paid for BTW. Oh yea, that's with Windows, not Lus-ix.

>No it performs very well in either OS (TNT2 Ultra), because erm...the drivers
>are the same genious.

So then it supports DRI under Linux?

Hmmmm?

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc)
Subject: PR 440 FX Pentium Pro Mainboard
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:03:35 GMT

Hello,

I got an older PC with a INTEL PR440FX mainboard with a Pentium Pro
processor.
I Installed SUSE Linux on it.  It seems to work but I can't make the
the integrated network card work.
Is there someone how knows to get this done?
The command: 'cat /proc/net/dev' only shows a header and on the next
line all zero's.  According to the manual of SUSE there should be a
line starting with eth0.  This line is not showing.

Marc

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Holsinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Scsi CDROM question.
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 16:05:30 -0600

Alright, I just installed the following:
Adaptec AHA-2930CU on a redhat 7 linux box.  Kudzu comes up, sees it and
configures it, no problem.  The problem: it does not see any devices
attached to the dang thing!  I see that scd0-scd6 are listed in /dev, but
under the /mnt directory,  only see the floppy.  Where should I begin to
troublesoot.  (In case you hadn't noticed by message, I am a relative linux
newbie.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

--
Jeff Holsinger
Network Administrator

To reply via e-mail, remove spam from my adress listed.

------------------------------

From: Ron Grigg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rage 128 Pro (ATI)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:58:23 -0600

Yes, the ATI Rage 128 Pro TV card is supported under
XFree86-4.0.x.

XFree86 just release another version (XFree86-4.0.2) that also
supports ATI's new Radeon card along with some more nice
enhancements.

I've been able to get the TV working on my Rage 128 Pro card
using kernel 2.4.0-test13-pre3, xawtv-3.25, XFree86-4.0.1,
and Gatos ati_xv drivers.

Now if I can just figure out how to get snapshots, record movie
clips, play AVI files, do video editing, etc., etc... ;-)

Kudos to the video4linux folks and everyone else who has been
working so hard to make this happen.  Many thanks.

Regards,
Ron Grigg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux SCSI card is not configured at boot up
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:57:22 GMT

My SCSI card(Adaptec 2930U) is not "detected" at boot up.  During the
bootup stage I see a message that says SCSI hosts 0.  Using the
/sbin/modprobe command after boot up I am able to get the card
configured and detected. I checked for the "alias scsi_hostadapter
aic7xxx" line in the "/etc/conf.modules" file and it is there.  What do
I have to do to get the machine to detect/configure the SCSI card at
boot up.

Thanks-
Rodney

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Regular PCI to Compact PCI riser card?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:02:38 GMT

I have an odd need to connect compact PIC cards to a regular PCI
motherboard.  Anyone know of an existing product which does this?

Keith Henson

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "dumon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scsi CDROM question.
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:27:22 +0100

you just hve to mount your different drive ex :

create a directory named scsiXX (where XX is your ID )
and then
mount /dev/sdaXX  /mnt/scsiXX

You'll have the disk mounted

------------------------------

From: Ralph Miguel Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: My new system...
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:33:28 +0100

Just have a look at http://www.suse.com/us/support/hardware/index.html.
--
Ralph Miguel Hansen
Auf der Donau 29

------------------------------

Subject: Re: CPU temp
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:47:00 GMT

Bharath Krishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Is there a way to find out the cpu temp while running linux?

> Go here:
> http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/

A modern distribution might also include the whole thing in a package.
If you're using Debian, look for "lm-sensors".  I don't know what name
RedHat derivations use.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In one gloss of the cut interstellarly I must immovable protect the
universe.

------------------------------

From: Luckydaze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Subject: Re: Abit KT7-RAID & Linux Software RAID
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 17:57:26 -0500

I used Mandrake 7.2 and it was so simple to set up software raid mode
0. I'm running it right now. I also tried RH 7.0 and had no problems
either. Number one you must make a boot partition first outside the
raid device. Second, you must create a  / or root directory on the MD0
or raid device then just format it. BTW I used the Reiser file system
instead of the ext2 format. Much faster in raid. Mandrake gave me that
option.

------------------------------

From: Julian Bordas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adaptec SCSI
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:01:51 +1100

Hello
        I have a PC with an Adaptec 1540-1542 SCSI card and an Acer SCSI Card
for the scanner.  I am unable to install the adaptec card, I get an
error message that the module load failed, yet both work under windows.
Any suggestions any one?

--
Julian Bordas

Williamstown, Victoria, Australia.

To send email remove the full stop and the
country in which I live, from my email address.

------------------------------

From: Luckydaze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:02:31 -0500

Oh I'm not running it off the drives on the Highpoint controller. I'm
running raid for Win 98 and 2k on that. I have Mandrake on my old
drives on ide 1 and 2 ata 33. You can't run raid off the highpoint
controller AFAIK. I don't think software raid will work either. Let me
know if you get it working. Or, try the drivers for Linux at
www.highpoint-tech.com but they're only for single drives on the HPT
controller. Try it anyway, might work.