From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Building new system
Date: 29 Dec 2000 00:36:50 GMT

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 22:23:11 GMT, mike staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>I want to replace my computer with newer stuff (this P-200 system is too
>slow to be any fun anymore).  I'll probably buy parts and build it.
>Problem is, I've been out of the loop for so long I don't even know what a
>decent Linux baseline system is anymore.  So:
>This is a system for home use.  I don't play any games.  I use it mainly
>for Internet and some working from home.
>
>Which processor?
>Which m/b?
>How much and what kind of RAM?
>What kind of video/how much video RAM?
>I've always liked how easy IDE is but I'd like to get a scanner and a
>  recordable CD setup so should I switch to SCSI or stick with lower cost
>  IDE (I don't know jack about SCSI)?
>I don't want anything that's bleeding-edge - I just want something faster
>and more modern.  And I'd like to keep it around $1000 (or less).

I'd recommend an AMD Duron, somewhere on the low side of the MHz range.
500?  Don't know precisely which motherboard to get; my advice would be
to go with something from the middle end of the price range.  Get as
much RAM as you can afford; RAM is cheaper now than it has been for a
while.  128M at minimum, 256 if you can afford it.  If you're not doing
3D games, get a Matrox G400--really nice picture quality, works like a
champ under all modern Linux distros.  Go ATi Xpert9x if you need
something dirt-cheap and reasonable.  Avoid Intel; the price/performance
is worse than AMD's unless you must have SMP.

If you're getting a scanner, you have 2 options:  SCSI and USB.  The
really high-end stuff is SCSI; always has been.  There are a number of
USB scanners that work with Linux; check http://linux-usb.org/ and look
under "Scanners" for the lowdown.  SCSI disks are generally better-built
and cost more, but they use less CPU time and share the larger bus more
effectively than their IDE counterparts.  A SCSI CD-RW is still the best
option, but recent IDE CD-RWs perform well and cost a lot less.

If you need max. performance, go SCSI.  If you want lots of disks, go
SCSI.  If you want to get reasonable performance for cheap for a home
system, go IDE.

>And is there a Linux site somewhere which lists suggestions for system
>components that will work together (not the hardware validation site)?

Eh?  There aren't many problems of the "FooCard 200 doesn't work with
BarMotherboard BAZ-11" variety.  I'd suggest going to
http://pricewatch.com/ or a similar site, picking out a set of pieces
that looks good, then trying to validate those pieces via
linuxhardware.com or your distro of choice's hardware compatibility
list.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "jaap" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.binaries.dominion.mydick.ishard,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.drunken.bastards.richard-healey,alt.india.tennis,alt.movies.indian,alt.mud.crystal-shard,alt.rock-n-roll.hard,alt.tv.tellytubbies.hardcore.binaries,comp
Subject: INTEL LOPEZ
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 01:57:30 +0100

www.jasper-paul.com  take a look

------------------------------

From: Kyle Dobbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Panasonic CD-RW setup?
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 15:14:18 -0500

Hello.

I recently purchased a panasonc "CW-7586" CD-RW drive.  I plan on
running Linux-Mandrake whenever the CD arrives.  According to
Linux-Mandrake.com, L-M only supports the Panasonic CW-7502 and CW-7582
drives.  How do I set up my CW-7586?

Thanks.

-Kyle Dobbs

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: displaying video memory
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 01:18:47 GMT

In article <92gbqq$9f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know of a way to display ( either through the gui or
> command-line ) the amount of memory on the video card in the system.
>
> I am running Red Hat 6.2 but also have Red Hat 7.0 machines too.
>
> Thank you.
>
> TBC

Many video cards can be probed to get this information. Try looking at
the output of X:

X :1 2> /tmp/x.txt (ctrl-alt-backspace to kill it)

then look through /tmp/x.txt for a line like:

(**) SVGA: videoram: 8192k

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Increase RAID capacity
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 01:23:56 GMT

In article <92g0e5$maj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "smilemonkey"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear All:
>    Our Linux system has 100 GB RAID which contains 8 drives controlled
> by a Mylex controller.  We are thinking to increse the total capacity of
> this RAID.  Can we just take the old drive out from the enclosure and
> install the bigger capacity dirve in, then do the configuration?  Is
> there any information, such as configuration or whatever, in the old
> drive we need to keep except our data .  Did anyone do this before?  We
> are looking for suggestion and experience.

No, if you replace a drive with a larger one, the Mylex controller will
just format it to the size of the smallest drive in your array (the size
of the other 7 drives). Although the controller should let you 'grow' an
array by adding a drive, it's not really recommended becuase it's hard to
just increase the size of an ext2 partition.

The most sane approach would be to backup your data, and swap out all 8
drives with larger ones and recreate your drive pack.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Panasonic CD-RW setup?
Date: 29 Dec 2000 01:43:37 GMT

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 15:14:18 -0500, Kyle Dobbs staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>I recently purchased a panasonc "CW-7586" CD-RW drive.  I plan on
>running Linux-Mandrake whenever the CD arrives.  According to
>Linux-Mandrake.com, L-M only supports the Panasonic CW-7502 and CW-7582
>drives.  How do I set up my CW-7586?

http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

Most modern IDE CD-RWs are mmc-3 compliant, and all mmc-3 compliant
drives should work under Linux.  My Cendyne RW7063A is not on any
compatability lists, but it works well as long as I use blanks that
aren't the absolute cheapest money can buy.  Just follow the procedure
that Mandrake recommends for one of the other CD-RW models that is
listed, and see if it works.  If it does, contact Mandrake and tell them
to add the drive to their compatability list.  If not, read the
aforementioned HOWTO, search Deja for "CD-RW" on this NG, and if you
still haven't figured it out, post here with detailed info regarding
what went wrong.  HTH,

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Iomega HipZip and Dadio
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 02:30:09 -0000

John Randolph Willey wrote:

> Does anybody have any advice on connecting an Iomega HipZip/PocketZip
> (or Clik! drive or whatever Iomega is calling it this week) to an Intel
> Linux machine running RH6?  FAQ or How-To?  It's a USB device, and I
> have exactly zero experience trying anything USB on linux.
>
> While I'm on the subject, has anybody out there poked around inside a
> HipZip mp3 player?  This device seems to be running an embedded
> derivative of Redhat called Dadio.  (See http://www.iobjects.com for
> marketing hype.)  It's a flashable OS running on some sort of ARM chip
> (Cirrus Logic?) so I'm curious about it.  There's supposedly a SDK
> coming from RedHat.
>
> Happy Holidays...
>
> John Willey
>
> --The operating system is called eCos I know that because my dad worked
on it.If you go to the player info and select it. Wait for the Dadio credit
to come up then press volume up 7 times followed by select and you will see
the credits. It will show the Dadio team, Iomega team, and the eCos tea

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: A good place to buy components?
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 21:47:07 EST

Any suggestions on a good place to buy components for a new
"build-from-scratch" computer project? I'm trying to find a single site to
order everything from as ordering parts from 3 or 4 different suppliers will
be annoying on several levels, but so far I've only found a few of the things
I'm looking for at each site. Here's a sample of what I'm looking for (heavily
influenced by anandtech):

  Athlon Thunderbird 1.1 or 1.0 GHz
  Microstar K7T Pro 2A
  256 MB CAS2 PC133 SDRAM
  IBM Deskstar 75 GXP 15 GB
  Sound Blaster Live! Value
  Fong Kai FK-320ATX Mid-Tower ATX
  NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
  Linksys EtherFast 10/100
  Yamaha 8x4x24 CDR-W (IDE)  (or LightSpeed CRW2100EZ)

------------------------------

From: "Ricardo Correia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Creative Labs PCI 128
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 03:02:22 -0000

Hi,

Is this sound card supported in linux? I'm planning to install Mandrake 7.2,
but it isn't listed in Mandrake's supported hardware list. I would like to
know if there's any driver available; i've tried to find in the creative
labs site, and they say it's compatible with soundblaster, but does it work
under linux?

Thanks,

Ricardo Correia

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 20:11:07 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "COM 5"?

Glitch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe I've missed something but how was it that the original poster of
> this thread got his modem to work off of COM 5? That's what my modem is

Under windows.

> on and considering there are only 4 available in Linux I don't see how
> I'm supposed to get it to work. It has worked before (it's the actiontec

Create a /dev/ node for it, and set it to the right irq/address. If
there is actually a serial port device there, it will work, no matter
what you label it. There are however, published "standard" values for a
given com number (or ttySx).

> modem) but it was on another IRQ back then and I got the cards in my
> motherboard situated about the only way they will work so I don't think
> I can switch PCI slots to get another IRQ.

If the bios is set to "o/s not plug-n-play aware" it will assign irq and
address of slots based on its own algorithm. It is also possible on most
bioses to tell it to assign them in reverse order. Think of PCI as ISA
pnp with a built in conf program in the bios, that is able to ask the
PCI card what it is. "setpci" and "lspci" for setting and listing pci
device settings. You should be able to pick any valid irq or address of
a given slot, provided it isn't in conflict with some other hardware.

> Can u point me to any URLs or give any personal advice on how to get the
> modem working on COM5?

He didn't get his working yet as far as I know, but somewhere is a list
of official major/minor numbers for /dev/ special files. In it the
serial ports (such as those of modems) will be character special files,
they will have a given major number, and the particular ttySx will have
its own unique minor number. Use mknod to create /dev/ttyS4 (or
/dev/ttyS9 if you really wanted that many), then use some combination of
setserial on the ttyS4 and/or setpci on the pci card to make them match
irq and base address. Simpler is to reassign an existing ttySx to the
modem with setserial, or to set the modem to the ttySx via setpci (as
opposed to creating a new node with mknod).

One caveat to all this is that not all PCI cards are capable of being
assigned to all addresses/irq's. There are probably plenty of PCI spec's
that say that a card should have this or that ability to be reassigned,
but not all of them will follow the spec (even so, they'll be
reassignable to a number of different irq's or addresses).

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 20:14:05 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCI configuration in Linux 2.2.18 : IRQ assignment?

Julie Brandon wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 22:38:02 -0700, D. Stimits ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) said:
> >PCI card irq can be altered with setpci. See also lspci.
>
> Any clues how?  *8-)  I was playing with setpci last night and for the life
> of me couldn't get it to change the IRQ!  (Tried writing to the
> INTERRUPT_(LINE|PIN) registers with absolutely no result.) I'd like to try
> shifting my PCI serial card's IRQ to a less busy one.
>
> Ta-ra,
>
> --
> Julie Brandon, Derby, UK
> <URL:http://www.computergeeks.co.uk/>
>
>   +++  See homepage for details of my present E-Bay auctions  +++

That's something which might mean the particular card does not have an
ability to reassign the particular irq or resource. There are a lot of
pci devices out there that simply don't allow but a minimal set of
resource values. You might temporarily see if it makes any difference to
set your bios to "o/s IS plug-n-play aware". This will of course break a
lot of other pci configurations, but I am thinking of that more as an
experiment.

------------------------------

From: "Vladimir Danishevsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ASUS A7V UDMA installation problems
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 03:18:17 GMT

I have problems to install Linux (RedHat 7.0) on ASUS A7V motherboard with
Promise UDMA controller on board.  Installation program does not see hard
drive and installation does not go through.  I installed using onboard IDE
controller but did not find way to make it work with UDMA.  Any suggestions?
Also does anybody knows about Solaris 8.0 support for PROMISE UDMA?
Vladimir

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 20:18:52 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Chris Rankin wrote:

> Julie Brandon wrote:
> > I know what you mean about setpci & the INTERRUPT_LINE thing.  I think that
> > in the case of the interrupt registers, you need to do more than just write
> > to that register to get it to have any effect
> I agree, that's most probably the explanation. It looks as if the OS and
> / or the BIOS configure the card and then write this information back
> into the card's configuration area.
>
> > Did you know that you can share IRQs between PCI devices?  Both under Linux
> > and Windows (the later depending on your motherboard drivers though)?
> Yes. But I have learnt that full PCI IRQ sharing under Windows requires
> at least OSR2, and this old P90 is running OSR1. (For reference: you
> need to enable "IRQ steering" in the PCI bus properties.) And even then,
> the BIOS has to support it.
>
> I really do need to find a way to put the new PCI card on either IRQ 3
> or IRQ 4.
>
> Chris

Instead try setting the serial port to match the current PCI card
values. E.G.:
setserial -v /dev/ttyS2 uart 16550A port 0xafe0 irq 9 spd_normal
skip_test
OR
setserial -v /dev/ttyS2 uart 16550A port 0xafe0 irq 17 spd_normal
skip_test

Depending on how I boot up, I use one of those two, since the two
configurations set up the modem differently. Instead of fighting the PCI
slot I set COM3/ttyS2 to match the modem.

------------------------------

From: "Kirk R. Wythers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: seting up a new network card
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 20:39:19 -0600

Quick question... I installed a allied tlelsyn 10/100 ether card on my
redhat7 box. The first time I started linux the system probed for "new
hardware" and recognized the card and asked me if I wanted to configure
it. I didn't have time to do it then, but I would like to now. How can I
get that configuration option back?

Or is there a simpler way to set up an after market nic?

Thanks,

Kirk

Kirk R. Wythers                         University of Minnesota
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Department of Forest Resources
tel: 612.625.2261                       1530 Cleveland Ave. N.
fax: 612.625.5212                       Saint Paul, MN 55108

From: Paul Carbone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: silencing my modem
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 22:54:05 -0500

Greetings all,
    I'm Using RedHat-6.1 with a US robotics PCI modem...Its been silent
for months, but after a partial re-install, it sings the connection song
again.  I've silenced it before, I just can't remember how.  I'm using
the ifup command to start the connection, which I believe calls wvdial.
Any Thoughts?
Thanks
    Paul Carbone
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

never drink cool-aid from a big vat

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Creative Labs PCI 128
Date: 29 Dec 2000 03:52:21 GMT

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000 03:02:22 -0000, Ricardo Correia staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>Is this sound card supported in linux? I'm planning to install Mandrake
>7.2, but it isn't listed in Mandrake's supported hardware list. I would
>like to know if there's any driver available; i've tried to find in the
>creative labs site, and they say it's compatible with soundblaster, but
>does it work under linux?

Creative PCIxx cards are usually repackaged Ensoniq cards under the
hood.  It's very likely that the card is an ES1371 or ES1370, both of
which work under Linux just fine.  It might be an emu10k, but it's
unlikely, and those also have Linux support.  You can find out for sure
by booting your system with Tom's RootBoot ( http://www.toms.net/rb/ )
and doing a "cat /proc/pci" and looking for the numbers 1370 and 1371.

From: Tony Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: silencing my modem
Date: 28 Dec 2000 21:59:04 -0600

>> On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 22:54:05 -0500,
>> Paul Carbone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Greetings all, I'm Using RedHat-6.1 with a US robotics PCI
> modem...Its been silent for months, but after a partial re-install,
> it sings the connection song again.

Sounds (ho ho) like you want the ATM command to switch off the modem
speaker.  Add this to your modem init string:

    ATM0

A google search turned up:

    http://www.computercraft.com/docs/hayescom.html

hth