From: Chris Elvidge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Request for Comments on New Hardware
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 12:08:47 +0400

J Wendel wrote:

> I just got a Dell OptiPlex GX110 933 Mhz at work. Wiped NT off the
> disk, loaded Mandrake 7.1, No problems, now running Kernel
> 2.4.0-test13pre5.
>
> Mine doesn't seem to have the SB audio, I'm using the kernel OSS 810
> sound driver, which still has a few problems, but it plays CDs fine.
> Installed X 4.0.2, it detected both the Nvidia card and the onboard
> 810 video, when I get another monitor, I'll see if they both work.
>
> This puppy is FAST. System boots in about 10 seconds (after lilo
> starts, still have to wait for the bios startup). Kernel build +
> reboot takes less than 5 minutes. Mozilla starts in 3 seconds.
>
> The only real problem I have is that I can't figure out how to open
> the stupid case! Anyone know how?
>
> Good luck,
>
> John
>
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 19:14:54 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Howard Arons)
> wrote:
>

> >I'm considering each of the following new boxes:
> >
> >133FSB from S.A.G. Electronics
> >------------------------------
> >Pentium III 800MHZ/133 w/256k cache
> >ASUS VIA Apollo Pro 133A chipset
> >(6)PCI 32-bit , (1) ISA, USB, Ultra DMA/66, AGP 4X
> >128MB SDRAM, ECC 133MHz
> >Matrox Millenium G400, 16MB AGP 4X
> >10/100 PCI Ethernet RJ45, 3COM 3C905-TX
> >Creative Labs Soundblaster PCI-512
> >Logitech 3 Button Mouse
> >
> >OptiPlex GX110 from Dell
> >------------------------
> >Pentium III processor, 866MHz, 256K full speed cache & Int NIC
> >Intel 810e chipset
> >128MB Non-ECC SDRAM
> >NVIDIA [TNT2] M64 16MB PCI Video Card
> >Integrated 3Com Etherlink 10/100 with ACPI and Remote Wake-up
> >Sound Blaster AudioPCI (64 Voice)
> >MS Intellimouse
> >
> >Can anyone see problems running Linux (Likely SuSE 7.x) on either. All
> >comments appreciated.
> >
> >TIA
> >Howard A
> >--
> >Powered by SuSE Linux 6.3 -- Kernel 2.2.17
> >News Reader slrn 0.9.5.7

On my GX100s there are 2 buttons towards the back (1 on each side). Push
in and lift from the back. HIH.
Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Hard disk problems with Red Hat 7.0 install
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 08:40:56 GMT

gataway wrote:

> I have try to install Linux RH 7 successfully attach it to the motherboard
> IDE.
> But i got problem patching the file, I downloaded  it into /usr/src/linux
> Next  i type patch -p1 <ide.2.2.16.20000630.patch,
> I'm stuck with the msg " can't find file to patch at input line 565."
> So what do u think is wrong here ?
> Anyway i got another problem  I can't get BootMagic to boot Linux RH 7 , It
> will hand at boot up.
> How can i resolve the problem ? I installed Lilo in the 1st partition not MBR.

 i type patch -p1 < ide.2.2.16.20000630.patch,
try putting a space^

jamess
--
"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."

-Anonymous

------------------------------

From: Ken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Determining proper voltage for a 486 motherboard cmos battery backup
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 20:48:03 +1300

mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>     I have an old 486 motherboard. It used to have a small
> multisegmented cylindrical cmos backup battery soldered to the
> motherboard. The battery
> was previously removed. I would like to know what voltage the
> cmos circuit needs to maintain the clock and memory so that
> I can find some substitute. The motherboard also has pins to attach
> an external battery.

If it was a 3 cell battery it is most likely to be 3.6V.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: CD Burner
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 08:48:35 GMT

Bill Unruh wrote:

> In <92t9o1$com$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Aulne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> ]In article <92qmil$caj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> ]  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh) wrote:
>
> ]While on the subject of burners, what is your favorite recipe to make your
> ]own audio CDs from different CDs like for instance, to make CDs to play in
> ]the car?
>
> I use the latest version of XCDROAST (.98test8). Easy, intuitive.
>
> Read in the tracks you want from whatever CDs you want (making sure you
> give them different names-- not all "track-05.wav).
>  Select the ones and the order you want them
> in. Burn them. That's it.
> (It is a front end to cdda2wav and cdrecord, so you could do it all
> from the command line as well, but this makes it easy.)
>
> ]Cheers,
>
> ]Alain
>
> ]Sent via Deja.com
> ]http://www.deja.com/
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I just got my first CRW a week ago. I
installed XCDROAST (.98test8). I just help the mouse pointer over the
buttons and read the pop-ups. So far I've made almost 20 cdrs without a
bad one, and that's with the cheap $20.00 for a 100 cdrs.

jamess

Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 16:39:47 +0800
From: gataway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Just try it out putting a space but still have alot of files can't be patched .
It ask me for the patch file name so i skip the process but alot of lines is
required to be patched
are not patch i wonder is this actually what should happen?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Subject: Re: HP5100C PARALLELPORT SCANNER -REDHAT 7
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:50:16 GMT

Octávio Neves wrote:

Everything said about the SCSI seems good.

>As a regular user I did:
>
>xsane
>
>Result:  there appeared  a nice windows SANE with only the two virtual
>scanners
>
>Why did the SANE not detect my scanner?

I don't know much about SANE but unless you need to specify the model
somewhere, I think you just have an unsupported scanner.

>What must I do to get the scanner working?

That depends on the problem. See above.

>What text must I place in /etc/config.modules about the scanner?

But you could put the scsi-host aliases (sorry, forgotten syntax)
to load the right adapter and the parport aliases to load the correct
parport module there.  I'm sure printing howtos, kernel docs and
SCSI howtos etc have pointers to these.

something like:

alias char-major-21 parscsi_module_you_use
alias parport parport_pc

From: "Tony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I cant get my usb modem to work ,,,, HELP
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 22:03:31 +1100

Hi,
    I have a netcomm usb modem, I have tried wvdialconf and everything else
i know but i cant find the device. It has initialised when the pc booted.

    Thanks In advance
                                Tony...

------------------------------

From: Cannon Fodder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: multiple soundblaster cards?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 11:09:09 GMT

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, bob wrote:

>But I was able to get both soundblaster cards working, by copying the
>original sb.o file as sb2.o.

W00T!

>I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, making a copy of the sb.o
>mod, but I'm able to record/playback from each soundcard independently.

The Sound-HOWTO file seems to say that module copies just take up
memory, but if it works, it works! :)

>Now, aumix still works fine with first sound card, but how can I control
>second?
>Any ideas?

Yes.  There are two device files in /dev that aumix can use. The
first file (/dev/mixer) is used by default, but there is a second
file (/dev/mixer1).

ls -l /dev/mixwer*
crw-r-----   1 root     sys       14,   0 Apr 17  1999 /dev/mixer
crw-r-----   1 root     sys       14,  16 Apr 17  1999
/dev/mixer1

aumix -d /dev/mixer #card1
aumix -d /dev/mixer1 #card2

>Thanks

You're welcome.  Hmmm, should I or you notify Jeff T (Sound-HOWTO
maintairer ) about the module configuration or leave it?

------------------------------

From: Stefano Totaro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: problems with Disk on Module
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 12:09:31 +0100

Hi guys,
we are experiencing serious problems with a Feiya 32 MB MicroDisk Module.
We have developed a STB based on linux and when we tryed to play the dvd
for awhile the Disk on Module  was blanked.
The file system is mounted in read only, nothing should be written on the
Disk on Module in that phase and the dvd, since we have just one ide interface,
is the slave device of the same ide chain of the disk on module.
This happens only with the Feiya modules and so it looks to be an HW problem.
To try to solve it we have opened the Feyia module and we have ported
the write protect line on a unused pin of the IDE interface and so we are able
to physically protect the module from software when we don't need to write on it.
In this way the module is no longer blanked but sometimes when we
leave the dvd player the system is no longer usable because it does not find
the root and so you have to turn it off.
I am wondering if there is some way to reset the Disk on Module from software
without rebooting and I would like also to know your suggestions to solve
this problem.

Thank you,
Stefano

p.s.
please reply via e-mail, thank you.

--
Stefano Totaro, Software Manager
EsseGi s.r.l.

------------------------------

From: "Mike Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie Question Reply
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 11:02:19 -0000

I am still a linux newbie myself, but i'm learning from trial and error.  I
first tried a old version of Red Hat 5.2 and found this quite difficult to
install.  This put me off linux for a while, then I tried SUSE Linux 6.2 and
found this a lot better.  I currently use SUSE Linux 7.0 and for the first
time ever it installed without any problems.  i.e. it detected all my
hardware and set it up all for me, not bad for £30.  SUSE linux also comes
with a very good manual that will help you get up and running.  Another very
good source of information is the Linux Documentation Project (you'll find
it on the Internet, cant remember the address off the top of my head), you
will get some very good manuals to download (all for free) done by
volunteers in their spare time.  Also plenty of printed books on linux now,
I find plenty in the book shops in my town.

If you want to run X windows (The Graphical Interface to Linux) you will
need to run it on your first system as I dont think that your second system
will be fast enough, although you could use it as a basic experimental
system.

The only problem I can see that you will have with your first system is that
you have a winmodem which dont usally work with linux as far as I know.  To
get over this problem I would swop the modem with the other system as this
sounds like a standard modem which should work ok with Linux.  I'm pretty
sure your video card will be supported by SUSE Linux 7.0 as it isn't one of
the latest models and most older cards are supported.  You dont specify the
type of scanner you have (USB, SCSI), Linux supports most SCSI scanners but
as far as I know USB scanner support is still experimental.  I think your
printer should be ok as SUSE provides the support for most printers.

I have found the best way to learn Linux is to play with it.  Once you start
to understand how it all works you'll find that you have a much greater
understanding of how the computer works and think that anyone who uses
windows is crazy.

Anymore questions just drop another question on the newsgroup and I'll try
to answer it asap.

------------------------------

From: "Mike Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 11:09:20 -0000

mike wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi,
>    I have an old 486 motherboard. It used to have a small
>multisegmented cylindrical cmos backup battery soldered to the
>motherboard. The battery
>was previously removed. I would like to know what voltage the
>cmos circuit needs to maintain the clock and memory so that
>I can find some substitute. The motherboard also has pins to attach
>an external battery.
>
>                                                            Thanks
>                                                                    Mike

I have a 486 motherboard and it runs ok with a 3.7V external battery but the
best thing to do would find out the make and model of the mother board and
see if you can track down the manufacturer ont the internet.  I assume you
would have done this but it often says the voltage on the battery.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 18:26:03 +0800
From: gataway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Step-by step to install Linux RH7 and Win98.

I'm going to setup a new system with two ATA 100 harddisk, one for win
98 the other for  Linux RH7.I'm planning to have BootMAgic and Partition
Magic install .
So which OS do i install first? And what partition is needed for noth
win98SE and Linux? Can i have and exmaple of how much space for each
partition? I will
Install most of the application and games on win98SE ,as for linux i am
a newbie still
need to explore more about it.Kindly give me a senerio on what to do.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Step-by step to install Linux RH7 and Win98.
From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 11:48:58 GMT

gataway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm going to setup a new system with two ATA 100 harddisk, one for win
> 98 the other for  Linux RH7.I'm planning to have BootMAgic and Partition
> Magic install .
> So which OS do i install first? And what partition is needed for noth
> win98SE and Linux? Can i have and exmaple of how much space for each
> partition? I will
> Install most of the application and games on win98SE ,as for linux i am
> a newbie still
> need to explore more about it.Kindly give me a senerio on what to do.

Refer to the HOWTO's at http://www.linuxdoc.org/.  They provide basic
material that describes all permutations of MS and Linux dual-boot
computers.

--
Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Web Page :  http://www.mainmatter.com/kiesling

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 12:25:00 GMT

>> > But i got problem patching the file, I downloaded  it into /usr/src/linux
>> > Next  i type patch -p1 <ide.2.2.16.20000630.patch,
>> > I'm stuck with the msg " can't find file to patch at input line 565."
>> > So what do u think is wrong here ?

look at line 556 and find out! (is there something radical about this
concept?)

Either you don't have the kernel sources installed or you aren't
executing from /usr/src/linux/.

Peter

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Benchmarking under Linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 12:25:36 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lasse Stig Thomsen) wrote in
<Xgo46.42$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I have Quake3 and I know about the kernel compiling, but there most be at
>least 1000 other ways to bench under linux.

You can test your hard drive performance (assuming IDE drives)

with "hdparm -tT /dev/hda" (or whatever drive you wish to test).

This is an extremely simple benchmark though.... may not be what you want.
See man hdparm for ways to tune your IDE performance, btw.

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60 A         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Matthias Buchmeier (4273)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to setup internal modem??
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 14:11:15 +0100

==============8D84639CE175D0CA73415F6E

Allmost all internal modem are winmodems.

Have a look at
            http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
to find out whether  and  how your modem can be setup.

#         mail:  Matthias Buchmeier           #
#                IFF-IEE                      #
#                Forschungszentrum Juelich    #
#                52425 Juelich                #
#                Germany                      #
#                                             #
#           tel: +49 (0)2461 614273           #
#         email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    #

==============8D84639CE175D0CA73415F6E

Allmost all internal modem are winmodems.
<A
HREF="http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html">http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html</A>
<pre>--&nbsp;
#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; mail:&nbsp; Matthias
Buchmeier&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #
#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

IFF-IEE&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 #
#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 Forschungszentrum Juelich&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #
#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 52425
Juelich&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 #
#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

Germany&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 #
#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 #
#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; tel: +49 (0)2461
614273&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #
#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #
&nbsp;</html>

Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:21:56 +0800
From: gataway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I don't know about what the lines write about.
But all i did is i install a fresh copy of Linux RH 7 after that i patch it.
But have this error and now i can't boot up , i have to use a bootdisc instead.
If i have a new Linux RH 7 install does that mean i have kernel sources installed?