  Re: ABit; HPT366; Linux 7 Install problems (Nader)

From: ken pile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux
Subject: no joysticks in kernel 2.4.0
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 00:25:47 +0000

I have downloaded kernel 2.4.0 for one reason, for the joystick support
on the soundblaster live! soundcard. However, when I came to select the
joystick in xconfig, they were all blanked out. Can anyone guide me on
this please?

Thanks in advance,

Ken Pile

------------------------------

From: "jazardous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to test a joystick?
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 22:00:03 GMT

Hi. I have a joystick attached to my game port
and just compiled a kernel with support for it.

How can I test the axes and so on?
Is there any program or similar floating around?

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Is it possible to boot off of a usb floppy or usb cd-rom disk yet?
Date: 15 Jan 2001 00:44:06 GMT

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 11:36:24 -0500, jtnews staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>Is it possible to boot off of a USB floppy or USB CDROM disk yet in
>Linux 2.2 or 2.4?

Booting the machine is a BIOS problem, not a Linux problem.  It's not a
Linux problem until the kernel is loaded!  If the root filesystem you
wish to mount is on the USB floppy/CD-ROM, the kernel will need USB
support compiled in and possibly a few kernel parameters.  If the root
filesystem is on a compressed RAMdisk image, it should load OK provided
the BIOS can find the boot block on the USB device.

If your motherboard allows booting from a USB floppy/CD-ROM, you will
probably have to tweak the BIOS settings to make the board see the USB
device as a "normal" device, since the standard PC BIOS knows nothing of
USB and expects to find standard floppy/hard drives at fixed locations.
(A similar BIOS hackaround allows you to use a USB keyboard as a normal
keyboard when using DOS or doing BIOS setup.)

I do not know how many motherboards have this capability.  If you could
post details about your hardware and specifics of what you want to do,
it's possible that someone would be able to steer you in the right
direction.

If this is a laptop, that could make things even more difficult.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "Pete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: scanner support?
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:39:33 +1100

Hi all, just a question from a complete linux newbie. Can I get my Mustek
Paragon 600IICD SCSI scanner to work with linux. Currently trying RedHat 6.2
or Mandrake 7.1 on a celeron 333 with 512Mb RAM.

------------------------------

From: "Jess Jackson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Xconfigurator
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 00:52:39 GMT

Greeting:

I am running Redhat 7.0 with an ET4000/x32 1-MB PCI video card on an old
Gateway 2000 486-66. This is my Linux "learning" machine. After I put the
7.0 upgrade on from 6.2, everything was fine. I was running an 800x600
display setting in X. I had only the 800x600 at 16-bit mode selected.

Output from SuperProbe Version 2.23 is...

First video: Super-VGA
 Chipset: Tseng ET4000/W32p Rev A (Port Probed)
 Memory:  1024 Kbytes
 RAMDAC:  STG1700 15/16/24-bit DAC w/pixel-mux
   (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))
   (programmable for 6/8-bit wide lookup tables)

This system worked fine in Redhat 6.2 and OK in 7.0 UNTIL...

I decided to try adding back running the display at 1024x768. I had it that
way once before under 6.2 but changed back due to limited colors. In any
event, I ran Xconfigurator and started getting error messages.

The first was -- "There was an error executing the X server in the probing
mode. You should try to configure the video card manually."

Then I went through selecting the 1-MB memory and the 800x600 @ 16 bit and
the 1024x768 @ 8 bit choices.

It offered to run "X -probleonly". It the said "Starting X" followed by
"Preparing to start X server." Then I get the final error message "There is
a problem with your X server."

I then set the card and monitor to exactly the same as before (ET4000/x32
1-MB video and Dell Monitor 15ES/15ES-P). When it tried to give me the
various display options, it said it could not start the X-server.

So, in desperation, I tried switched to plain VGA which I could do only by
bypassing all probes and tests. So, I have that running at least. (I am
learning, but I did *NOT* backup my old configuration file before trying any
of this).

I would appreciate any help here.

BTW: Is there just the one configuration file (XF86Config) that
Xconfigurator changes? I want to back up a good copy when I get one again.

Thanks

The error log (/var/log/XFree86.0.log) follows.

_______________________

XFree86 Version 4.0.1a / X Window System
Release Date: 2 August 2000
 If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
 than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
 problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Linux 2.2.5-22smp i686 [ELF]
Module Loader present
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sun Jan 14 03:54:23 2001
(--) using VT number 7

(II) Module ABI versions:
 XFree86 ANSI C Emulation: 0.1
 XFree86 Video Driver: 0.2
 XFree86 XInput driver : 0.1
 XFree86 Server Extension : 0.1
 XFree86 Font Renderer : 0.1
(II) Loader running on linux
(II) LoadModule: "bitmap"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a
(II) Module bitmap: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
 compiled for 4.0.1a, module version = 1.0.0
 Module class: XFree86 Font Renderer
 ABI class: XFree86 Font Renderer, version 0.1
(II) Loading font Bitmap
(II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module pcidata
(II) UnloadModule: "pcidata"
(EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (module does not exist, 0)

Fatal server error:
Unable to load required base modules, Exiting...

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please reports problems to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 19:56:42 -0500
From: jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system

I don't have any particular motherboard in mind.
I just want to know if the capability exists
at all in any motherboard because I'm
researching ways to build an inexpensive
cluster of NFS file servers.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: scanner support?
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 01:48:43 GMT

Pete <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all, just a question from a complete linux newbie. Can I get my Mustek
> Paragon 600IICD SCSI scanner to work with linux. Currently trying RedHat 6.2
> or Mandrake 7.1 on a celeron 333 with 512Mb RAM.

You can find out here:

    http://www.mostang.com/sane

Greg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CDRW
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 01:52:38 GMT

E. Bruce Lynn, II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Could anyone recommend a good CD-RW that would be compatible with
> Slackware 7.1, SuSE 6.4, and possibly Debian whatever the latest
> distro is?

Just bought a Sony Spressa CRX140E/CH2 (8x4x32).  EIDE.  Works great.
$149 (not including the $20 rebate) at Best Buy.

Greg

------------------------------

Subject: Re: RH 7 doesn't work with 3C905?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Mcintosh)
Date: 14 Jan 2001 21:00:21 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Vidar Skjelanger  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is my NIC not a 3c905C afterall?

Yours and about a dozen on machines I use :-)

Seriously though, I've had no problem with fairly off-the-shelf versions
of 2.2.14, 2.2.17 and 2.2.18.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 20:43:51 -0600
From: Isaac Venn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: no joysticks in kernel 2.4.0

You have to compile in joystick support first in input core support.
Then you will be able to choose a joystick.

-Isaac

------------------------------

From: "Fu Muma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: no sound or network, need higher resolution
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 21:55:08 -0500

running linux 2.2.15, redhat 6.2

i'm new on the linux scene.

i have a sb16 pci sound card, and a edimax ( read generic ) nic. i can't get
them to work.
my monitor which can display up to1024x768 in win2k, can only display
640x480 in linux. i'm using a nvidia tnt2 m64 display adapter with a komodo
plug n play monitor.

i am open to any and all suggestions. make assumptions that i did not try
your idea ( because i probably don't know how to : ).

thanks for you help in advance.
--
know Jesus, know peace... no Jesus, no peace.

fu

------------------------------

From: "Christopher C. Stump" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 21:03:05 -0600

Options that are unaccessable during configuration are so because they are
experimental (i.e. they are not considered stable).  If you really want to
use an experimental option, then you need to change the code maturity
level during configuration.  Check the 'help' under the 'Code Maturity
Level Options' menu in xconfig for more details.

Good luck!

--
Christopher C. Stump
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Computers are like air conditioners...Once you open
 Windows, they stop working correctly" -Unknown Linux User

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: no sound or network, need higher resolution
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 03:32:13 GMT

Fu Muma wrote:

> running linux 2.2.15, redhat 6.2
>
> i'm new on the linux scene.
>
> i have a sb16 pci sound card, and a edimax ( read generic ) nic. i can't get
> them to work.

$ su -
password: <secret>
# sndconfig # configure soundcard

# control-panel
# # click on the kernel icon add your network card (ne2000?) parameters in
# # click on the network icon to see if you can get onto the network with the
network parameters

> my monitor which can display up to1024x768 in win2k, can only display
> 640x480 in linux. i'm using a nvidia tnt2 m64 display adapter with a komodo
> plug n play monitor.

# cp /etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config.bak # just in case you mess up the
Xconfiguration.
# Xconfigurator  # put only the resolution to 1024 x 768 to 16 bit color (you
did not say what color resolution)

Xconfigurator 4.4.3 - (C) 2000 Red Hat Software and others

 Select Video Modes

          Select the video modes you would like to use.  8 bit modes allow
for
          256 colors, 16 bit modes allow for 64k colors, and 24 bit modes
allow
          for true color.  Performance will be slower, however, the higher
you
          go.  You should select at least one of the elements
below.

                    8 bit:             16 bit:           24
bit:
                    [ ] "640x480"      [ ] "640x480"     [ ]
"640x480"
                    [ ] "800x600"      [ ] "800x600"     [ ]
"800x600"
                    [ ] "1024x768"     [X]
"1024x768"
                    [ ] "1152x864"     [ ]
"1152x864"
                    [ ]
"1280x1024"

                         Ok                              Back

  <Tab>/<Alt-Tab> between elements  |  <Space> selects |  <F12> next screen

------------------------------

From: "Matt Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 22:41:14 -0500

try using the Xconfigurator command you can set you card and monitor from
there you may also be able to set your screen size and resolution.  Also try
going into xwin and seeing if you can find a proporties box and see if that
does you any good.  Good luck Matt Jones [EMAIL PROTECTED]
news:93touj$m53$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
Subject: Re: Strange alpha clock issue
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 04:47:50 GMT

On my 500a that predictably wants to be 1 hour ahead,
I have /etc/sysconfig/clock:

UTC=false
ARC=false
ZONE="US/Pacific"

Do I need "SRM=true" as well?

thanks,
jim

In article <93ljlg$q4q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Serguei Patchkovskii) wrote:
> Cameron Mulliner ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : although I can set the time and year successfully when I reboot the
time
> : and date displayed by the SRM console is totally wrong. The alpha
used
> : to use the ALPHA BIOS I don't have to go back to using that to
change
> : the hardware clock do I?
>
> So, did you change your /etc/sysconfig/clock, so that it contains
> "SRM=true" instead of "ARC=true"? As far as I recall, these two
> consoles interpret RTC time differently ...
>
> /Serge.P
>
> ---
> Home page: http://www.cobalt.chem.ucalgary.ca/ps/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

From: Nader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ABit; HPT366; Linux 7 Install problems
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 20:58:11 -0800

You can also use the 2.2.16 kernel with a HPT366 patch.  The patch
brings the ide.c code to version 6.30.

See the Linux How-To for HPT366: http://linux.nf/ultra66.htm

Nader