From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: re: modem in RH6.2
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:55:29 GMT

In article <9425bl$4m2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Can anybody recommend me any modem which can be easily installed in
> RH6.2?
>
> Dale Khehra

Yes, I've used a USR Sportster 56K X2 ISA card with RH 6.0, 6.1, 6.2 and
7.0 with no problems.  I set the jumpers to disable PNP and force it to
the COM port of my choice.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A longish question on networking Linux & Windows 98
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:14:37 GMT

In article <axP86.301414$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Matthew Eagar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm somewhat of a Linux newbie, and I find myself faced with a total
> limiting factor each time I try to use it.  Basically, I can get to
> the point where it's up and running, with X working great, running
> Gnome and Enlightenment, but I can _never_ get my internet connection
> up and running.
>
> It's somewhat of a weird setup in my house. First off, I'm on a
> laptop; an Acer Travelmate 521TE to be exact.  Nextly, my home network
> consists of three machines, running on a 10 base T coaxial network.
> Because it's coaxial cable, my laptop's built in Ethernet card is
> somewhat useless, so I'm using a PCMCIA card, with an adapter that
> translates the coaxial cable into a sort of flat plug that connects to
> the card.  The PCMCIA card itself is a "Compaq Ethernet LAN Card".
>
> My dad (who refuses to take the time to re-network the house with
> proper Ethernet cable), has the cable modem on his PC and is running
> Windows 98.  We're using a piece of software called SyGate to share
> the modem.  So, not only do I need to configure a PCMCIA card before I
> can configure a network connection, neither of which I have any idea
> how to do, I have to figure out how to connect to a Win98 server
> running 3rd party software to share an internet connection.
>
> As for my distro, I really haven't developed to strong a preferences
> for myself.  I have a fast internet connection (though Windows) and a
> CD burner, so if anybody can recommend a good distro for this sort of
> thing I can get it no problem.
>
> This is sort of a daunting task due to my lack of experience with
> Linux, but I'm willing to work at it.  If anybody can sort of point me
> in the right direction, or towards some related documentation, it
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> As a sort of related question to my problem, but not to the group,
> would this sort of thing be easier with a Windows 2000 server?  I know
> a friend who did it in all of 10 minutes networking to a Windows NT
> server with his PC, so I'm wondering if there isn't a better way of
> sharing the modem itself, preferably under Windows 98, but perhaps I
> can convince my dad to upgrade to 2000.

It shouldn't matter what OS your dad uses to share the modem as long as
your house network is TCP/IP.  If the other Windows boxes in the house
just seem to magically work when connected and booted without any
configuration, then he is also running a DHCP server.  I'm not familiar
with any of the Windows IP sharing software so I can't help you much
more than those assumptions.

As far as getting your network card running on Linux I'd recommend:

http://howto.tucows.com/LDP/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO.html

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Support for IBM Ethernet 10/100 PCI model 19K4301 card?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:19:20 GMT

http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?cntrfnbr=1&prmenbr=1&prnbr=19K4301&cntry=840&lang=en_US

> I'm interested in this card because it is also delivered with a low
> profile bracket in addition to the standard-height bracket.
>
> Does anyone knows if this card will work under linux?
>
> best regards,
> kmm

Check to see if the main chip on the card has a big "i" on it.  I now
that a lot of IBM 10/100 network cards use Intel chips and work using
the eepro100 driver.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Codasa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I look for the electronic circuit of a hard drive WD
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:32:55 +0100

I look for the electronic circuit of a hard drive of the type
Digital western, 136BA, WD136BA-00AK
if you have this type hard drive, I purchase it to you
Thank you

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: please help me with my win linux
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:27:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  REGGIE BOLAND <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> i have win 98 and i have just installed winlinux. it detected
everything
> except the printer. but my real problem is that there is something
wrong
> with the display it detected it perfectly in the config but i wont let
> me open it up. i have a sis  2326 video card can someone help me fix
my
> problem!!!

I've never messed with WinLinux.  I'll try to help you, but I need more
information than "it won't let me open it up".  What won't let you open
what up.  What commands are you typing, what error messages are you
getting?  The more info you can give the better.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: pci ethernet resource conflict: can't load module rtl8139
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:33:36 GMT

"invalid parameter parm_io" means that driver will not except
"io=0x????".  Try using just "modprobe rtl8139 irq=5".  If that doesn't
fix the problem, please tell me what you get then.

http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html
> Jan 14 00:24:04 lelka insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/net/rtl8139.o:
> init_module: Device or resource busy
> Jan 14 00:24:04 lelka insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by
> incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> Jan 14 00:24:04 lelka insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/net/rtl8139.o:
> insmod eth1 failed
>
> Rebooting to win98 with pnp os temporarily enabled in bios and
> installing D-Link driver
> produced no device conflicts with the DFE-530TX+ card found at irq=5
and
> io=E000-E0FF.
> Using these numbers doesn't help, though: "modprobe rtl8139 io=0xe002
> irq=5" results in
> the following message: /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/net/rtl8139.o:
invalid
> [...]
> second NIC will be
> greatly appreciated.  I enclose my irq and pci information from /proc,
> if it helps.  --Michael

> # cat /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0
>   0:     295265          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:       4471          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>  10:       5328          XT-PIC  eth0
>  11:       3148          XT-PIC  aic7xxx
>  12:     154615          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
>  13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
>  14:      55113          XT-PIC  ide0
> NMI:          0
>
> # cat /proc/pci
> PCI devices found:
>   Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
>     Host bridge: VIA Technologies Unknown device (rev 3).
>       Vendor id=1106. Device id=305.
>       Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  Latency=8.
>       Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd0000000 [0xd0000008].
>   Bus  0, device   1, function  0:
>     PCI bridge: VIA Technologies Unknown device (rev 0).
>       Vendor id=1106. Device id=8305.
>       Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  No bursts.  Min Gnt=4.
>   Bus  0, device   7, function  0:
>     ISA bridge: VIA Technologies VT 82C686 Apollo Super (rev 64).
>       Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  No bursts.
>   Bus  0, device   7, function  1:
>     IDE interface: VIA Technologies VT 82C586 Apollo IDE (rev 6).
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.
> Latency=32.
>       I/O at 0xd000 [0xd001].
>   Bus  0, device   7, function  2:
>     USB Controller: VIA Technologies VT 82C586 Apollo USB (rev 22).
>       Medium devsel.  IRQ 9.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.
>       I/O at 0xd400 [0xd401].
>   Bus  0, device   7, function  4:
>     Bridge: VIA Technologies VT 82C686 Apollo Super ACPI (rev 64).
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.
>   Bus  0, device   8, function  0:
>     Ethernet controller: 3Com 3C900 10b Combo (rev 0).
>       Medium devsel.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min
> Gnt=3.Max Lat=8.
>       I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc01].
>   Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
>     Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 16).
>       Vendor id=1186. Device id=1300.
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 5.  Master
> Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.
>       I/O at 0xe000 [0xe001].
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd9000000 [0xd9000000].
>   Bus  0, device  10, function  0:
>     SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7881U (rev 0).
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master
> Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=8.
>       I/O at 0xe400 [0xe401].
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd9001000 [0xd9001000].
>   Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
>     VGA compatible controller: 3Dfx Unknown device (rev 1).
>       Vendor id=121a. Device id=5.
>       Fast devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 9.
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd4000000 [0xd4000000].
>       Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd6000000 [0xd6000008].

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley)
Subject: Re: Ethernet card from Hell (H-P Pavilion 8665C, MPX en5038 card)
Date: 16 Jan 2001 21:43:03 GMT

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:17:59, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Erich Schwarz)
wrote:

>    Before I tear this bloody card out and replace it with something
> adult, is there somebody out there who knows a silver bullet for this?

If it's a PCI card then lspci will tell you what it identifies itself
as. Maybe that'll help you to find the right driver for the chipset
onboard...

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: print to HP Color LaserJet 5 ??
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:44:25 GMT

In article <93hipp$glu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "B.Y." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello all:
>
>       Can someone recommend a way to print from a Red Hat Linux 6.2
> box (mostly stock install) to a HP Color LaserJet 5 (no Postscript, no
> network card).  Thanks ...
>
>       P.S. I seem to be unable to access the relevant pages in the
>            Linux Printing Project hosted by VA Linux ...

Absolutely.  Log into X as a standard user.  Use "su" to become root.
Run "printtool".  Add the printer using the filter "HP LaserJet 4/5/6
series, non-PostScript".  Tweak the options and print test pages until
it prints correctly.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Alternatives to Intel Processors
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:58:23 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Michael Marano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just read the "Cheap Linux Box" How-to type thing at
> http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html
> by Andrew Comech
> (I have to thank him for giving me an excellent starting place!)
>
> I am considering building my own box to replace an OLD P100.
> I am curious to get some other points-of-views about the strong
> reccomendation
> Andrew gave against Intel processors.  The focus of the document was
> CHEAP linux boxes, so I can understand it from that perspective.
> He also seems to have done his research, I just wanted to see how the
> rest of the community felt.
> The linux boxes at work seem to do just fine, and most are run on
> pentiums.
>
> I am just beginning research into what hardware to use to build my
> own box, so I don't mind a RTFM if someone would be kind enough to
> tell me where it is.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Micahel

I've always run AMD chips with no problems.  If you are looking at older
hardware avoid the early K6 models.  The K6/2 and K6-III are fine
though.  Also from personal experience I'd avoid Cyrix (spelling?)
chips, if you can even find them anymore.  Also, if you see IBM chips,
beware that these are actually Cyrix chips built in IBM plants.  These
chips were not designed by IBM and suck just as bad as other Cyrix
chips.  The only processors that IBM has designed and produced in years
are for their high end servers and workstations.  These are NOT Intel
compatable chips.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: NIC problems
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:07:11 GMT

I believe you'll find that even though it is an SMC card that the chip
used on the card is a RealTek 8029.  If you look at the chip you'll
probably see the numbers 8029 somewhere on it.

What city are you using @home in?  A lot of @home locations require you
to send a fixed host name with the dhcp request.  I'm not sure how this
would be done in Mandrake as my experience is with RedHat.  Check some
man pages.  Anyway, I've found that even this doesn't work in the
Phoenix, AZ area.  Instead I just assign the card the IP address that
was given by @home as a fixed IP and it's worked fine for about 1.5
years now.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Blaise Canzian)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
Subject: RAID 1 terabyte on linux - advice needed
Date: 16 Jan 2001 16:58:33 -0500

I would like to RAID a terabyte of disk storage with a linux box.  The basic
idea is to take fifteen 72GB nominal hard disks, put them in enclosures
with SCSI Ultra-160 connections, and attach to a RAID controller card.  I want
RAID 5.

What is the preferred way to do this?  Is it better to use an Intel-based
box or an Alpha-based box?  Does a 2-cpu Intel board work for this, and is the
performance boost worth it?  What RAID controller card do you recommend?
Is a 3-channel RAID controller board preferable?  Is SCSI Ultra-160 available
on the RAID controller card, or just fast ultra wide SCSI-2?  Thanks for the
advice.

-- Blaise Canzian

From: "Ian Gregory" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Driver for AIC 6260 onboard SCSI
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:24:29 +0500

Hi,

I'm trying to find a driver for a 486 system which has onboard SCSI. All I
know is that one of the chips is marked AIC 6260. I think it is made by
Adaptec.

Can anyone help me?

--
Ian Gregory

From: Matze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dat-3 Streamer: Read Linux Tapes with HP-UX
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:31:37 +0100

The Problem:
Our Dat-3 Streamer works fine with Linux (Suse 7.0).
Now I want to read Linux-Tapes with HP-UX 9.
So I plug the Streamer to this HP-UX  Machine.
When I try to read the Linux-tape now, i get an "input/output error".
BUT I can create, write and then read new tapes with HP-UX and the same
Streamer/Tapes .

I guess there are some paremeters different in HP-UX.
Maybe: blocksize OR  bytsawpping OR....?

How to create tapes that both HP-UX and LINUX can read???

------------------------------

From: "Billy Bat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: infra red - making it my self
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:02:24 -0500

start by not crossposting to newsgroups that have nothing to do with your
topic.

BB

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cyberveg4n)
Date: 16 Jan 2001 22:49:39 GMT
Subject: Re: SCSI Confusion:  Help!

Troy,

Not all versions of SCSI are 'backwards compatible';  the newest, UW-160 is
very specific, as it uses a different method of sending signals down the lead -
not just faster, but smarter. btw its called LVD or Low-Voltage-Differential.
Best to avoid these as yet, cos theyre 1) very expensive, 2) hot-running 3)
'too new' and not supported by many configs.

Best thing to do is go for either a classic SCSI-2 (50-pin connector) or a
standard Wide-SCSI-2 (High-density 50-pin connector).  You can get cheap,
linux-compatible boards at computer fairs quite easily.  Avoid hard disks with
the 68-pin SCA adapter on them though, as you wont (easily) find a lead that
attaches to them, although you can get hold of a little converter board to make
them into Wide-SCSI-2 or standard scsi.  These are usually referred to as 'hot
plugguble drives', and are generally more expensive too.

As for boards - in my experience, I've used loads of types of Adaptec boards
successfully.  I currently have a Symbios board working fine too.  A tiawanese
co. called 'IWILL' makes a set of boards they claim are Linux compatible, as
they use the Symbios chipset.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: Noble Pepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: L120
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:06:54 -0600

Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:

> How do I mount an L120 floppy drive, which is an IDE drive.  Do I treat
> it as a floppy or as a hard drive?  If as a hard drive, what number does
> it have?
>
> Thanks
>
> dj tuchler

You should see the drive identifier in the boot messages, if they go by too
fast look in /var/log/kern.log or /var/log/sys.log

I use:

/dev/hdd        /mnt/superfloppy auto user,exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto      2 1

in my /etc/fstab, of course you should read man fstab and man mount for
details that may be pertinent to your system.

------------------------------

From: Noble Pepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:09:37 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Can anybody recommend me any modem which can be easily installed in
> RH6.2?
>
> Dale Khehra
>

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

I like my Creative Labs Modem Blaster Flash56, the blinking lights on an
external give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Warm fuzzy feelings are well worth
the extra loot.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cyberveg4n)
Date: 16 Jan 2001 23:09:26 GMT
Subject: Re: can't get hard drive to work

Have you tried specifying the kernel parameter 'linear'?  Check out the
SCSI-HOWTO.  Lots of help in there.  Good luck.