From: Juergen Pfann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ultra 160 SCSI on Redhat 5.2
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:30:25 +0100

Donald Ellis wrote:

> HELP
>
> I need to still use Redhat 5.2 (Kernel 2.0.36) because of the ftp kluge.
>
> Does any one know how to get 2.0.36 to run the sym53C8xx driver module
> for the LSI Logic 53c1010 scsi chip?  I know it works for later kernels,
>
> but I can not use them until we rewrite some old client software.

Please take a look at
ftp://ftp.lsil.com/HostAdapterDrivers/linux, and the subdir roudier
below that. (G. Roudier is the ncr-/sym53c8xx-developer for Linux
and *BSD AFAIK). You have a vast, even somewhat confusing choice
among patches or source for various kernels since 2.0.36 - even of
different driver releases.
Take a look at the READMEs there, and also in the src dir of
some other (newer) distro if at hand, to decide which of the
sources / patches actually *do* contain support for the 53c1010,
and which don't. I'm pretty sure you'll find the appropriate there.
Sorry, no personal experience - still having 2.0.36, too, but "only"
sym53c896 U2W, which is supported by the unmodified source.

> How about the Adaptec driver module for the Ultra 160 to run on 2.0.36 ?

Oh no - not Adapcrap please... (but in fact, I don't know).
SCNR

Juergen

------------------------------

From: "Gérald Valentin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lilo with HPT366 UDMA 66
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:54:31 +0100

Funny tool but it is unable to boot into Linux although it detects perfectly
all partitions on my disks.
Works fine only for Windows98 and to boot from a floppy

Gerald

998f0a$dpi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Ditto 2gb external parallel?
Date: 22 Mar 2001 11:09:35 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marc D. Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Ftape handles the Ditto 2GB parallel and it's worked fine for me for some
> time (this was back with kernel 2.0.38).
> Get Ftape from its home page (don't have URL handy) as I think
> the one included with the kernel is rather dated, last I remember.

Thank you very much for your reply.
--
Jesus Angel del Pozo Dominguez
Valladolid

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Just Keijser)
Subject: Re: Disk Block Size
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:52:57 GMT

look at the source code for sfdisk (util-linux-2.x) and you'll find that
sector sizes are usually 512 bytes but blocksize are HARDCODED at 1024
bytes...

JJK

In article <99bipc$rl7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Rebecca"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am trying to write a program that will provide hard disk configuration
>info. What I want to know is how to determine the block size of the disk. In
>the /proc filesystem everything seems to be reported in blocks - ie disk
>size partition size - how can I convert this to MB. I have seen in some
>places that block size is always assumed to be 512bytes - is this correct?
>If not how can I find out what the actual block size is. There is an ioctl
>call -BLKGETSIZE that returns the size of a block device in number of
>sectors - is this always 512 bytes? I found in the lvm library that the
>return value from this call is always divided by 2 to get Kb - Is this a
>valid assumption. Block size for physical disks is usually assumed to be the
>sector size (at least that is what I thought) Is this true?

===========================
JJK / Jan Just Keijser
Unix/Linux Systems Engineer
smtp: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

flames > /dev/null 2>&1
===========================

------------------------------

From: "Ben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need help burning CDs using Linux
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:11:21 GMT

I have Yamaha CRW4416S 4x burner. I installed cdrecord 1.9, mkisofs and a
couple of different GUI frontends. I am running RedHat 7.

The first time I tried burning a CD, it worked beautifully - just installed
the above mentioned programs without any hitches and the CD burned without
issue.

Ever since then, I can't get the burner to work - I think I am getting SCSI
errors but I am not sure. I haven't changed anything on my system (software
or hardware) since my first successful burn so I am very confused as to why
it doesn't work anymore.

I've included a sample of the log file from one of my attempts to burn a CD
at the end of this email. If anyone is able to give me some ideas where the
problem may be that would be fantastic. I'm outta ideas for what to check
next ....

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Ben

====================
Calling: /usr/bin/cdrecord dev=0,3,0 fs=16384k -v   speed=3 -eject -pad
tsize=524886016 -

Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '0,3,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 3 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 2.1.38
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
atapi: 0
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 2
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   : SYNC
Vendor_info    : 'YAMAHA  '
Identifikation : 'CRW4416S        '
Revision       : '1.0h'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Drive buf size : 1566432 = 1529 KB
FIFO size      : 16777216 = 16384 KB
Track 01: data  500 MB         padsize:  30 KB
Total size:     574 MB (56:57.45) = 256309 sectors
Lout start:     575 MB (56:59/34) = 256309 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
ATIP info from disk:
Indicated writing power: 7
Is not unrestricted
Is not erasable
ATIP start of lead in:  -11597 (97:27/28)
ATIP start of lead out: 336601 (74:50/01)
Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 20
Manufacturer: Princo Corporation
Blocks total: 336601 Blocks current: 336601 Blocks remaining: 80292
RBlocks total: 346489 RBlocks current: 346489 RBlocks remaining: 90180
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 2 in write mode for single session.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ...
input buffer ready.
Performing OPC...
Starting new track at sector: 0

Track 01: writing  30 KB of pad data.
Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 524886016/524916736 (256307 sectors).
Writing  time: 1723.709s
Fixating...
CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
cdrecord: Input/output error. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 04 01 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
cdrecord: Input/output error. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
Sense Code: 0x04 Qual 0x01 (logical unit is in process of becoming ready)
Fru 0x0
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)

I get heaps of these error messages and then the final  couple of error
messages are:

status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 240s
Fixating time:  458.542s
CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 57 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x57 Qual 0x00 (unable to recover table-of-contents) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 40s
cmd finished after 0.002s timeout 40s

------------------------------

From: "Charles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH 7.0 Install
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:37:03 GMT

I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to install RH 7. The install program
starts, but after selecting install type, I receive the following error:
"An error has occurred- No valid devices were found on which to create a new
file system. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem."

I have an unused HD on which I have tried the following:
1) tried installing w/HD un-partitioned
2) tried using PM 6.0 and set-up HD for Linux
3) using bootmagic (for the dual boot)

I copied the boot.img and driver.img (as suggested) for the install.
However, I get that error after trying to load the drivers.
What drivers/devices could be giving me this error? The HD?

System configuration:
3-20G HD's (2 currently used for Win 98) All Drives are on a controller
card. (Promise Ultra66 IDE)
CD
CD-RW
250 MB zip
Floppy

--

Charles

(Electrician's do it with *spark*!)

ICQ# 42872537

------------------------------

From: "Rinaldi J. Montessi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:31:21 -0500

The thread got broken somehow so I'll ask:  Do you have the ide io
addresses listed in lilo.conf?  Do you get any arror messages when you
run /sbin/lilo?

--
Rinaldi]$
We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.

------------------------------

From: "Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TNT 2 or G-Force video card for Linux and Windows ??
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 05:03:54 -0000

Patrick F Harris wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I just put a TNT 2 on a Byte AX and it works fine.
>
>mike wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>        I want to replace my old video card. A friend told me to
>> look at the TNT 2 card. While I was on the internet, I noticed
>> that a G-force card was just a little more money than the TNT
>> card. Another friend told me that he heard that even though
>> the G-Force card is faster, the TNT card has better video
>> quality.
>>       I would like to use the card for Linux and Windows.
>> Any thoughts on the two cards?
>>
>>                                                     Thanks
>>                                                             Mike

I have a TNT2 and while it is good the NVidia driver is a pain in the back
side and I don't believe it is open source either. This may mean that some
distributions may not support it.
As for quality it is fine but beware of the driver stability (that's if you
can get it going)! Mandrake 7.2 installs it for you automatically but I'm
not sure how many others do.

------------------------------

From: Melotte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: floppy mount vfat problem
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:33:21 GMT

I downloaded the 2.4.0 kernel, compiled it with the same settings concerning
filesystems as the 2.4.2 and now I can mount the vfat disks without
problems.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:57:18 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gérald Valentin) wrote in
<99cn0n$sgb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Funny tool but it is unable to boot into Linux although it detects
>perfectly all partitions on my disks.
>Works fine only for Windows98 and to boot from a floppy

I assume you are referring to xosl - Xosl needs another bootloader to
reside on the partition it is told to boot. With win98 this is already in
place, lilo and grub can do this for linux.

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60 A         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 7.0 Install
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:59:54 GMT

Charles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 3-20G HD's (2 currently used for Win 98) All Drives are on a controller
> card. (Promise Ultra66 IDE)

Well, that's not supported for a start! Put them on a normal ide
interface (one of the 66 ones)  and you may get somewhere.

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:02:22 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Walker) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I have a TNT2 and while it is good the NVidia driver is a pain in the
>back side and I don't believe it is open source either. This may mean
>that some distributions may not support it.
>As for quality it is fine but beware of the driver stability (that's if
>you can get it going)! Mandrake 7.2 installs it for you automatically
>but I'm not sure how many others do.

The nvidia drivers aren't that difficult to get running assuming the
instructions are followed (i.e. taking care to remove all previous GL
libs), however they are quite unstable, and will tend to lock up either X
or the whole box occasionally. Telnetting in from my laptop and killing the
offender usually helps.

However, on my home machine I find this acceptable as long as Unreal
Tournament runs with almost the same framerate as in windoze.... ;)

The closed source nature of the drivers is another issue, however I feel
that nVidia deserves credit for maintaining these drivers in the first
place, even if opensourcing them would probably give faster development.

From: "LittleFish" <littlefish_au[SPAM ME AT YOUR OWN RISK]@yahoo.com>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.embedded
Subject: Driver Creation help for all Win Printers..Please Help!
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:31:44 +1000

Hi everyone! I am looking for some practical help with lpr and printer
formats. What the problem is is that I have Lexmark 1000 that I can't get to
work with Linux. I have tried every program designed to run this printer. I
used drivers desinged for lpr I have used Cups with the cupsomatic/foomatic
script and driver and it doesn't work. What I want to do is get my output
from PCB which is Postscript and forward it to a script that calls Wine and
a multifunctional program that I am writing in Windows. This program reads
the file type and data and loads it in a large buffer then prints it using
the standard windows printer driver! This will make it possible to run any
WIN Printer!! This will entice more users to Linux and their hardware will
work!

Down to the meaty stuff I have Red Hat 6.2 Intel based sytem Dual
BootWindows 98 168Meg Ram 300Mhz Celeron. What I need to know is if the
output of a linux program that goes to lpr then to the driver is the same
configuration as what Windows sends to it printer driver! I don't expect it
would be however I do need to ask. If it isn't is there conversion software
that converts the format from Linux to the format required by Windows. I
will take a Postscript only converter only for the moment if I have too, as
my main object is to print a Postscript file to a lexmak1000 using wine! Any
pointers to resources would be great! Thanks heaps
LittleFish

--
 Remove [SPAM ME AT YOUR OWN RISK] to mail me.

------------------------------

From: checkmate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel 2.2.16-22 With AMD Athlon 500?
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:59:37 +0800

I'm trying to compiling Linux kernel 2.2.16-22 with my old Athlon 500
machine.
But always failed with compiling /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/arch/i386/lib
with the following error message:

make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/arch/i386/lib'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -D__ASSEMBLY__  -traditional
-c checksum.S -o checksum.o
checksum.S:231: badly punctuated parameter list in #define
checksum.S:237: badly punctuated parameter list in #definemake[2]:
Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/arch/i386/lib'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/arch/i386/lib'
make[2]: *** [checksum.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make: *** [_dir_arch/i386/lib] Error 2

What I want to do is just to customize my kernel. The linux distribution
is RedHat 7.0
I choose CPU class as 'PPro' in  'make config'
then 'make dep', 'make bzImage'.

Thanks in advance for any advice from anyone!

------------------------------

From: "Charles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:31:59 GMT

Well, after digging around a little bit, I found a "boot disk" from Promise
for the Utlra66 that's supposed to be used for Linux. Ever heard of it? I
found it here
ftp://ftp.promise.com/Controllers/IDE/Ultra66/RedHat/Driver/Beta/

I can't put them on a normal ide because of my Windows setup using the IDE's
for my CD's and Zip.
--

Charles

(Electrician's do it with *spark*!)

ICQ# 42872537

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The different incarnations of the TNT2 video card and which to get
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:04:13 -0500

Hi,
    I am interested in getting a TNT2 video card with 32 megs of
ram and I understand that there are many incarnations of
this card with some secondary names like "erazor" or mx64.
Also there are different manufacturers.
   What is the best to get and what are the differences?

                                                            Thanks
                                                                    Mike