Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 21:34:07 +0200
From: Ingo Repinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: canon bjc-4400, soundcard

Hi folks,

it's the first time that I post here a message in the hope someone of
you can help me with a stupid problem.

I have installed on my sisters-system a linux (SuSE 7.1
Personal-Edition). The system is running nice, but the printer, a Canon
BJC-4400, is not to run in a color mode or in other mode, then the
deafult value given by yast2. (not really nice, because her doughter
needs the printer for school, with color of course ;-)  )
She had also a no-name soundcard with a opti-16-chipset in, and the
system recognize it, but the module can not be loaded....

May someone of you can help me, in one or all both cases?

thanks in advance,

ingo

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

(don't hit me, its from former-days my addy ;-))) )

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Support for LCD Monitors?
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:42:02 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Robert Hardy wrote:
>Not knowing so much about Linux etc. I am wondering if I will have problems
>using a LCD monitor (precisely the Proview BM568 or the TAXAN Crystalvision
>680) - I am just putting together a system and will want to run some
>distribution of Linux (no preference as yet). Will I need drivers and such -
>since I know that they supply Win9* etc drivers with the product (not sure
>what they do), but they don't have any Linux drivers for download from their
>sites.
[-]
I've got such a beast, a Panasonic LC50S, actually and out of the box
VESA setting ought to be fine and all works quite nicely.

Never wanting a "normal" monitor again 8-)
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl                \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: brian barrington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video?
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:48:57 GMT

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:31:32 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R.
Williams) wrote:
>> I've been using a BlackBox 4pt ServSwitch Jr. at work for over a year
>> now and I will NEVER part with it. No ghosting at all even at
>> 1600x1280.
>
>At 85Hz?  I am very sensitive to flicker (I've told my boss
>to turn her monitor away - until I showed her how to set it
>up properly).  75Hz worked in our previous digs, but the
>lighting in the "new and improved" Dilbert-cubes is
>horrible. The fluorescent strips beat against monitors (at
>75Hz) and the glare is impossible.  I really have to go to
>85Hz at least.  My laptop kinda restricts the resolution to
>1600x1200.  It looks horrible otherwise.

Yes, at 85Hz. No Ghosting or flicker problems at all. They have two
desktop solutions now that you may want to look at, the Servswitch Jr.
or the Servswitch Spectra. I'm going to be getting the Spectra for
home since it is only a two port and a little more economic. If you
need 4 or 8 ports take a look at the Jr.

www.blackbox.com

>> I have had it lock up my mouse about 5 times and each time
>> I just clicked a key command and it was back.
>
>That doesn't sound good.  Though I've had far worse problems
>win Win2K.
I assume you don't use switch boxes too often. :) Having your mouse
lock up only five times a year is VERY good and that is only because
I'm always unplugging my test workstations. If you tried this with a
Belkin you would be in for a hell of a time. I used to have Belkin at
my desk and I cursed it every day.

>> I HIGHLY recommend their
>> products but as you said the price is not for the faint of heart. Even
>> with the first time buyers discount you will be paying well over $400
>> for the 4pt WITH cables. That is what everyone forgets about KVM
>> switches: The cables are also expensive as hell!
>>
>> Good luck and hope you can get your employer to foot the bill! :)
>
>Not to worry here. ;-)
Same here. When your engineering something for a 200,000+ client base
asking for $500 switch box is not too hard... :) Let us know if you
get a KVM switch and how you like it.

Later,

Brian

------------------------------

From: "Tan, Li" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to setup usb quickcam
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:08:58 +0100

hi, there,
I need your help, I am trying to setup a colorful quick cam in linux box
using gqcam program. I use RedHat 7.1 beta, kernel vrsion 2.4.1-0.1.9. I
found videodev, bw-qcam, and c-qcam modules are already there, then next, I
did modprobe -a videodev, modprobe -a c-qcam, and the lsmod, the result is:
c-qcam 7680 0 (unused)
videodev 4832 0 (c-qcam)

then I excuted gqcam, it told me dev/video is a directory. what should I do
and change? please help me, I need cam work for my robot.

thanks a lot

Li

------------------------------

From: Eugenio Mastroviti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partition Strategy in a RAID-5 Setup: Newbie Question
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.unix.admin
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 22:31:49 +0100

Jefferson Ogata wrote:

> J Sloan wrote:
> > Gerardo Gregory wrote:
> > > Well I can add on the Dell side....we started getting rid of all
> > > server
> > > systems at the company I work.  We have now 2 Dell 4400, 2 dell 4300,
> > > 1 Dell 2400, 1 Dell NAS, 1 Dell PowerVault back-up system, and 1 Dell
> > > 6400. (and I might be missing one or two)....as far as RAID is
> > > concerned we have a spare drive for each box, in failure we just swap
> > > it, reboot, and we are on our merry way after the drive initializes
> > > and so forth....
> >
> > Just curious, what is the purpose of the reboot?
>
> You have to reboot the machine for the Dell PERC RAID controller to
> discover any new drives. You can, however, keep a hot spare in the
> machine.

Well, actually, that's what Dell tells you. You can download a nifty little
utility from AMI that will do it without need to reboot (I've tested it and
it works).

Only catch is, I haven't been able to make it work with kernel 2.4.x, so
we're stuck with 2.2.18 for now

Eugenio

(P.S. email me on Monday and I can give you better directions on how to get
the rpm)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Grayson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:24:28 +0100

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 13:12:19 GMT, Robert Hardy made me spill my beer when saying:

>Not knowing so much about Linux etc. I am wondering if I will have problems
>using a LCD monitor (precisely the Proview BM568 or the TAXAN Crystalvision
>680) - I am just putting together a system and will want to run some
>distribution of Linux (no preference as yet). Will I need drivers and such -
>since I know that they supply Win9* etc drivers with the product (not sure
>what they do), but they don't have any Linux drivers for download from their
>sites.

Windows monitor drivers are there to tell the system which resolutions and
refresh rates the monitor supports, and possibly power saving features.

Any monitor will work with Linux.

--
Everyone else has spent the last 15 years making fault tolerant software;
Microsoft have spent the last 15 years making fault tolerant users - Anon

------------------------------

From: Dan Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RDRAM
Date: 31 Mar 2001 18:03:30 -0500

I use linux on a box with RDRAM, and on another box with SDRAM.  Both
are dual 733 PIIIcu's.  Using Seti@home as a benchmark, the SDRAM one
takes 8 hours and change to complete a packet, when two instances are
running (one per CPU).  The RDRAM one takes 6 hours in the same
situation.  The difference is that the RDRAM one can get a lot more
data back and forth, a lot quicker.  When only running one instance
(i.e. using only one CPU), the difference is less evident, but still
obvious.  The reason is because with two cpus, the memory system has
to handle the requests for both CPUs.  RDRAM can do this much better.

I would spend the extra money, and would prefer to have less RDRAM
that SDRAM.  If you look at the organization of many high-powered
minicomputers, they employ a very similar system to RDRAM.  They are
designed for high output and high scalability.  The separate RAMBUS
makes a difference.

If you need a lot of cheap ram for one cpu, then SDRAM would probably
be appropriate.

--Dan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Buzzard)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 23:48:51 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tony Houghton) writes:
> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Robert Hardy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Basically I've got a bit more info (which probably won't change
>> anything...but you know how paranoid a newbie can get...so I'm attatching it
>> here...).
>> The monitor is a Proview BM568, and is designed for Plug n Play.
>> Consequently, it goes perfectly well on Win stuff, since there are already
>> some drivers for Proview monitors - one of which works (although it is not
>> for exactly this model, but...).
>> Reading a bit about PnP support on Linux, I get concerned - will there be
>> the right kind of drivers available, or is a PnP monitor going to cause
>> problems (a bit like a WinModem) since it depends on Windows already having
>> the
>> right drivers, and under Linux I might not find them?
>
> I think all the Windows monitor "driver" files do is tell it the
> frequency ranges etc. W2K doesn't seem to bother with them. I think PnP
> just means the monitor can identify its model to the PC through the VGA
> connector.

It can do a bit more than that I believe it can also signal what 'modes'
it can cope with.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 17:08:20 -0600
From: Robert Redelmeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:

> Out of curiousity, if you've unplugged the line from your NIC (let's
> say it's eth0) and plugged it back in and connection isn't working,
> short of rebooting, what's the easy way to restart that network
> interface and get it working again?  I know in the BeOS you can
> restart networking in the Networking preferences app, but what's
> the Linux way to it?

First, unplugging and replugging ethernet (10baseT or 100baseTX)
shouldn't cause trouble.  The driver should autodetect.  If it
doesn't, you may have a broken driver or card.

Otherwise, the easiest thing to do is `ifconfig eth0 down`,
`ifconfig eth0 up`.  Season with `route`.  If the driver or
hardware has had a problem, you may need to `rmmod` the eth0
driver, and `insmod` it again.

-- Robert

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CD-R for backups
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 23:34:03 GMT

Norman Levin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> "Johannes B. Ullrich" wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi.
>> >
>> >    I am looking for good linux backup software that supports CD-R drives.
>> > Any recommendations?
>>
>> webmin!
> ** on a separate note, I down loaded webmin and it seems like a tool with
> potential.  I also downloaded some of the additional modules.  They are all
> in a tarball format and the directorys do NOT seem to be relative to /.
> I could explore, but am I missing some documentation?  Where should I be
> (I'm talking about directorys - I've had lots of people tell me where to go)
> when I eXtract the tar ball?

Great program - I'll second that.  To unpack the tarball, use the install
option in Webmin itself...  Under the first menu and then Webmin Config.
Then webmin modules, and you should have the option to install modules.

Kris

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 17:00:34 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AGP and Linux

mike wrote:

> Hi,
>         I was wondering if there are any problems
> using AGP video cards with Linux?
>     I am using Redhat 6.1, 6.2, Mandrake 7.0 and
> Mandrake 7.2.
>     My system consists of an A-Trend 6240 motherboard
> with an Intel chipset and Celeron 300A processor.
>
>                                             Thanks
>                                                     Mike
>
> P.S. I want to get a Jaton TNT2 Pro AGP video card.

There may be setup issues to take advantage of AGP, but those cards
should work fine out of the box (maybe not at maximum performance
without some effort).

D. Stimits, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dale Pontius)
Subject: Soyo K7VLM (Via KM133) - New computer for Mom in 70's
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 00:10:39 GMT

I'm looking at putting together a new computer for my mother. She's
been unhappy with Windows, and is unhappy with her Mac. So I'm
looking at putting together a Linux system for her. I can set it up
to do just what she needs, and I can service it remotely, since I
live 600+ miles away.

A bare-bones system based on the Soyo K7VLM-B looks like a good
bet. The video worries me. It's an integrated Savage, and that
should be supported, but you never can tell. The K7VLM is based
on the Via KM 133 chipset. Deja News tells me nothing, and the
Linux hardware database I checked has an empty entry for the
chipset.

Can anyone else lend an opinion?

Thanks,
Dale Pontius

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Fun With Parallel Ports.
Date: 1 Apr 2001 00:44:48 GMT

green ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: no not lost qbasic it is called visual basic
: the ability to easily write to p-ports.

No matter, C can do it on Linux. (: Now, hooking up shift registers to a
printer fitting should be fun.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: 1 Apr 2001 01:02:44 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: It would have taken less effort to just write an assembler to do it for you,
: so that you could just type in the code in 6502 assembly language, and
: let the computer do the dull, repetitive work for you.

At the time I didn't know about assemblers nor had the ability to code one
myself. So, I was limited by only my abilities at the time. At the time, I
coded machine language by coding in BASIC with the pokes to load the routine
and then turn on the routine at the end of the programme. It was certainly a
crude method but it did work. Had I continued, I would have used the BASIC as
the assembler as I started to do at the time by remembering all the op codes
by their decimal number.

But despite my limited abilities at the time, it shows that on the Commodore
it was fully possible to code a TSR becuse the interrupt was documented in the
programmer's reference guide. On the PC, the same thing is not so easy. The
stuff in DOS's kernel is a secret held by Microshit. TSR coders have to crack
the kernel to code one now.

With Linux, however, coding a daemon is easy as everything is documented in
some way shape or form. A crude method is to make an account to run it and
give it sudo root permission to run the device in question. Can't do that on
DOS.

From: "Joe Gallagher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie trying to load a Kodak DC260 among other things...
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 01:24:18 GMT

Q's:

Is there a driver available for a Kodak DC260 for linux?

Is there a really good guide to convert a Windows expert to Linux?

What are the really good Linux websites?

Is this the right newsgroup to ask?   :-)

Thanks.

Joe Gallagher

From: "Tim Cuthbertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSE Seagate Adaptec Problem
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 21:24:46 -0600

I don't know if this will work for you, but here is what I have to do to
boot Suse 7.0 with my Seagate disk drives on an Adaptec 2940UW adapter:
aic7xxx='seltime:0.extended.no_reset'

I had to find these three parameters in three separate Suse knowledge
database articles and combine them with a fourth article that said that the
parameters must be separated by periods instead of the usual commas.

Also, after three or more weeks, I am unable to convince lilo to accept this
complex parameter string. I have to enter "manual" at the lilo prompt, then
pretend like I am reinstalling Suse, reentering all of the parameters
(language, video adapter, etc). If this parameter string helps you and you
determine how to make it reboot with lilo, please let me know.

Good luck, Tim

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Joseph C. Kopec" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Brother printers on Linux
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 03:52:51 GMT

I have had a good experience using the Brother 1270N under Linux -- at
$500 or less it is probably one of the cheapest available lasers
printers with built-in networking.  The documentation CDROM contains
lengthy pdf User Guides that devote a great deal of text to Unix and Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams)
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 03:53:26 GMT

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:43:55, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab
the Unsightly One) wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams) wrote:
>
> > At 85Hz?
>
> Huh.  You mean the difference between refresh rates is *visible*?

You're kidding, right?

> I didn't know that.  I always thought you just had to make sure
> the signal the video card is sending was within the range the
> monitor's specs say it can handle -- a compatibility issue.  I
> had no idea the difference was visible.  (To me, it's not.)

Good grief.  I can tell what mode a monitor is running at up
to 80-85Hz.  In normal light it takes diverted vision to
detect above 72-75Hz, but I can tell.  I'm serious.  I
simply cannot look at a monitor set at 60Hz.  It makes my
physically ill.  I've fixed monitors for may people (and
they've thanked me later).  Like I said, my boss had to turn
her tube away, or I would have walked.

> > I am very sensitive to flicker
>
> Flicker?  What's that?  ;-)

That violent thing in the gut that says that you should show
the world what you ate for lunch?  ...civilized people thry
to choke down this request into their personal lives.  At
60Hz civilization is a challenge.

> Seriously, the only way I can notice the periodicity at
> all, even at 60Hz, is to wave something back and forth
> in front of the monitor.

That happens on my secondary monitor on my laptop.  It's
running at 1600x1200x75Hz, but the PCI card is in the dockin
station, so it it's not all that swift.  That doesn't bother
me that much.  The constant flicker will make me ill.

> > The fluorescent strips beat against monitors
>
> Then again, I have incandescent lighting here, so maybe that's
> why I can't tell.  Either that or I'm impervious to flicker.

If you aren't driven out of the room with a monitor set at
60Hz, you are impervious to a Louiville Slugger.

> (My first monitor was CGA, and I had flourescent lighting then
> and never noticed any flicker (except "snow"), so maybe I am...)

CGAs and particularly MGAs had a longer phosphor so the
flicker wasn't apparent.

----
  Keith

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 04:07:43 GMT

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:43:55 GMT, Jonadab the Unsightly One
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>Huh.  You mean the difference between refresh rates is *visible*?

Yep, when I can see the screen vibrate when I am talking to co-workers
I run their refreash rate up to 75 or better. They thank me when they
see the clearer image. I have asked if they have headaches at the end
of the day. About 50% say yes. Seems some people get eye strain
headaches but do not notice the screen is a little blurry.