From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tony Hague)
Subject: Re: can't boot after updating kernel to 2.4.0
Date: 4 Apr 2001 08:42:59 GMT

In article <9aek9r$4e1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, stephen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Uncompressing Linux.........OK,boot the kernel.
>(the system just hang on )

I'd do a 'make menuconfig' and check the options you have selected.
Looks like you might have chosen the wrong CPU type to me.

Tony.

From: "Juergen Seyffer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Wintv, no sound with S-Video/Line-in
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 10:41:01 +0200

Hello everyone

I am currently using Suse 7.1 with Kernel 2.4.0 on some systems. I connect a
Satellite Receiver to a Hauppauge WinTv-Radio and also to a Terratec
TV/Radio+. On both systems comes on the Videosignal without any sound. I
tried either kwintv and xawtv. There is also a terrestric antenna connected
which is working with Video and Sound. Sometimes it happens that when
changing the channel from terrestric program to composite that the sound of
the terrestric channel and the Video of the composite input is mixed
together. Is the TV-Card automatically selecting Line-in of the Tv-card when
I switch to composite1 or 3, or to I have to select any Audio-Input source
in the apps (can't find nothing in xawtv and kwintv's channel setup)? Has
anybody with a recent kernel a working composite video/audio configuration
running ?
At the moment, I use the Mic-In of the Soundcard instead of the line-in of
the TV-card, so its not so urgent. It seems to be a problem of the driver or
of my setup.

For the Hauppauge Card my /etc/modules.conf  is having

options bttv pll=1 radio=1 card=10
options tuner type=5

For the Terratec Card

options bttv card=47 pll=2 radio=1
options tuner type=5
options tvaudio tda9873=1

Best regards
Juergen

------------------------------

From: "j-pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Running a GeForce2 MX AGP card with Redhat 6.1 and 6.2
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 16:39:43 +0800

mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi,
>     I was wondering if a GeForce2 MX AGP card will easily
> install and run with Redhat 6.1 and 6.2 without having to
> update XFree86 to version 4.0 or higher and download special
> drivers.
>    All I would want initially, is to be able to have 1024 x 768
> resolution.
>                                                         Thanks
>                                                             Mike

You will likely have to download special drivers but it's chicken

http://www.nvidia.com/Products/Drivers.nsf/Linux.html

Following the instructions in the README and Installation Guide on the above
site worked like a dream for me.
Better than on Windows, because IIRC, after installing the RPMs and making
appropriate changes in the XF86Config files as per the instructions, right
after
quitting 'Vim' the graphical X-login came up without my having to reboot
;-)

    1024 X 768 @ 85Hz : no problem !

J-Philippe.

------------------------------

From: "Ed G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ack! Newbie linux sound troubles
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 08:53:15 GMT

Hi, I had similar problems.  As far as I could figure the soundcard was
not being loaded with quite the right settings.

Have a look in /etc/modules.conf.   You should find something along the
lines of "alias sound-slot-0 sb".

Now try running "modprobe -r sb" and "modprobe -r sound"  I forget the
order.  This should remove your sound driver from the kernel.

now try running harddrake and setting up your sound card.

If this works and you now have sound (until you reboot) and can set it up
consistently with harddrake (just by using the defaults) then you can try
what I tried.  That is to go into your sysvinit (I used ksysv) and remove
the sound loader.

Now you have it set so that harddrake will configure the sound card for
you and it won't be reconfigured by the sound configuration that is doing
it now.

Works perfectly for me.

Hope this helps
Cheers
ERik

------------------------------

From: "Alberto Tarantino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hardware prob?
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 11:33:52 +0200

Hello,
I changed the NIC on a HP server and since then I got this message in thw
/var/log/warn file:

Mar 28 00:04:22 xxxxxxx kernel: enable_irq() unbalanced from c01c6334

The NIC works fine and the system is quite stable...
The kernel is 2.2.18 and the NIC is a 3com XL 3c509c.
Thanks for any advice.
Alberto

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martti Nikunen)
Subject: Re: Red Hat 7.0 and Intel 815EEA Chipset
Date: 4 Apr 2001 09:48:07 GMT

On 3 Apr 2001 17:57:40 PDT, Manatee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone knows if Red Hat supports the 815 chipset?
>
>I can install RH 7.0 but then get no networking at all.
>
>Any thoughts on what could be causing this problem? thoughts on a
>possible solution? Thank you.
>

>--
>
>Manatee

You must get the driver (e100) from Intel, see

ftp://download.intel.com/df-support/2250/ENG/

Get e100-1.5.5a.tar.gz and follow the instructions in e100.txt.

Remember to put the line

alias eth0 e100

in your /etc/modules.conf

Martti Nikunen
Department of Mathematics, University of Helsinki

From: "O. Mazzier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TwinView on GeForce 2MX / Redhat 7.0
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 11:53:31 +0200

Hi all,
Here is my config:
 - Athlon 1GHz
 - Abit K7T-Raid + 128 MB
 - Hercules GeForce 2MX DDV
 - Redhat 7.0 / kernel 2.2.16-22
I am trying to enable twinview on TV, but I can't figure
out how.
I have already loaded these drivers : NVIDIA_kernel-0.9-6
and NVIDIA_GLX-0.9-6 and X is working fine

Any idea ?

Cheers

------------------------------

Subject: tv in -> mpeg/mjpeg out video card wanted
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Morten Dreier)
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 12:52:50 +0200

Are there any video cards that can take a tv signal and convert it into
an mpeg/mjepg file, and has linux drivers?
I have been looking for such a card for some time, but I have not been
able to find one.

Any suggestions?

--
Morten Dreier
http://www.pobox.com/~mdreier/

------------------------------

From: Jari =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sepp=E4l=E4?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Q: GeForce2MX on i810 MB - howto enable AGP and bypass i810?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 13:55:59 +0300

 I have Abit motherboard with integrated i810 AGP display "card".
After getting tired of the low performance I installed GeForce2MX
display card. Now the problem is that AGPGART module does not install
but just complains that it finds only i810 and it is not correct.
 In my modules.conf are lines:
alias char-major-10-175 agpgart
options agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1
alias char-major-195 NVdriver
 And I am using:
 NVIDIA_kernel-0.9-6
 NVIDIA_GLX-0.9-6

 So the question is how to bypass the i810 detection and use only the
AGP card in AGP slot.

 Jari
--
*** Jari Seppälä, Research Scientist                     ***
*** Tampere University of Technology / ACI               ***

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dieter Eckhardt)
Subject: linux and cray j90
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 10:54:28 GMT

hi all,

i can get a cray j90 supercomputer more or less for free. all i have
to do is to pick it up. its no OS included in the deal and i'm afraid
i cant pay for a licensed version of unicos which goes for about $8k

is anyone having experihences with cray supercomputers here and if
there are any alternatives to unicos? the system has 32 cpus and
something like 4 or 8 gb ram (megawords).

the greatest i can imagine is to run linux on this system, but i'm
afraid it wont work.

happy about all answers. please email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

cheers

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Win Modems
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 11:14:22 GMT

Marcus Lauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Johan Kullstam wrote:
>
> > "LittleFish" <littlefish_au[SPAM ME AT YOUR OWN RISK]@yahoo.com> writes:
> >
> >> It seems as if more and more people using Windows
> >> are very dissapointed over the performance of there Lucent Winmodems. In
> >> the last week I have met 3 people that have taken back there Lucent
> >> Winmodem because it drops out regularly. If your machine is slower 300Mhz
> >> or is running a CPU intensive task in the background you can bet that it
> >> will drop out. Give me a real modem anyday!! By the way real internal
> >> modems are getting hard to source. Does anyone have suggestions for a
> >> Internal Fax Voice Data modem?
> >
> > one word _EXTERNAL_.  yes, i know you said internal but why not expand
> > your possibilities?  since most mice these days are ps/2 or usb, you
> > probably have nothing on your rs232 ports.  why not use it?
> >

>         One small point - some people don't use their serial ports
> at all, and intentionally disable them for the IRQs.  That could be
> a good reason for not using serial anything.

another small point -- an internal modem will take an IRQ too.  so if
you have modem, you lose an IRQ to it.  i don't see what difference it
makes whether you use that IRQ on the built-in serial port or if you
use it on the modem card.  sharing an IRQ works with many PCI cards so
IRQs are no longer in such short supply.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Where is my mouse?
Date: 04 Apr 2001 14:01:15 +0200

"Alexander" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello, One day I lost the mouse, then I try to set up it but I didn't get
> it. So I installed again Linux(Red Hat 6.0) but the mouse didn't go, then I
> tried with Red Hat 5.2.
> The mouse don't go and I see that my HD lose the first partition in the
> second disc, Could the HD controller be broken? (The HD ID  Controller is
> embebed in the motherboard)
>
> Thanks.

You seem to have two different problems.

1) Your mouse. What is the type? Brand name, model number, serial,
   PS/2, USB?

2) Your harddisk controller is probably fine if you can still read the
   partition table and access the drive. The partition table is a
   fragile pieve of information stored in the first sector of the
   drive.

Dennis van Dok

------------------------------

From: "Bastiaan Schaap" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Memory problem
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 14:09:34 +0200

Hi all,

Maybe a stupid question, but I run an Intel PIII 700 with 256MB ram with Red
Hat 6.2. Bios checks and posts 256MB ram. However, when I boot linux and
look at the memory usage with the top command it shows that linux only
'sees' 64MB !!!  Is this a common problem? What do I have to check/do in
order to fix this?

TIA,

Bastiaan Schaap
Desyde BV
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel 06 - 51998277
Fax 035 - 5430547
http://www.desyde.nl

at least I thought I was dancing, 'til somebody stepped on my hand.