Greg Freemyer wrote:
..
Very cool new functionality in [hdparm] 8.1
Looking forward to testing it this week.

Thanks for your efforts.

I assume DCO is still able to hide sectors from us?
..

I'm not sure (haven't tried it here yet).

But the way I read the ATA8 specification,
it sounds like "hdparm -N" should show the true capacity,
regardless of DCO.  But what's not clear, is whether one
can then use -Nnnnnnnn to restore the capacity under DCO..

Gotta try it someday, I guess.