The original poster (the one who wants to learn programming for linux) might
also consider participation in Haifux meetings. They have a home page from
which he could learn more about future and past contents and times.
Please note that I am not trying to express any opinion about the intended
audience (beginners / advanced / others) of those meeting, although I believe
that every one who is interested is welcome to come.