On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Ely Levy wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 08:02:05PM +0300, Ely Levy wrote:
> > > opera might not be complitly free but it's the best linux browser I saw so
> > > far it doesn't crash at all it's VERY fast and it's not over massive work
> >
> > Ely, check out Opera's list of supported standards - it's amazing how
> > many things they gave up (yes, and by a curious coincidence, HTML
> > 4.0's bidirectionality is one of them).
>
> If asked I'm sure they would add that feature.

Opera is a fast browser. One of the reasons it is fast is because it does
not support many features that other browsers do. Actually, I would have
expected that the commercial browser will have features bloat, and there
will be some free alternative which chooses not to implement some features
;-)

Anyway, Opera not only avoids implementing bidi support, it also avoids
implementing decent support for multiple character sets. This makes it
less atractive for non-western-european texts.

Also, as for another point you raise: The mozilla people have made some
decisions that many don't agree with. For instance: their design of the
interface is good for cross-platform support, but it makes mozilla slow
(mozilla really has the slowest menus that I know). Ditto with their
decision that mozilla is not just a browser, but a whole application
suite.

Luckily anybody can take their basic browser component and use it for
their application. Galeon and Skipstone are two such examples. The mozilla
distribution for windows includes MFCEmbed and MozEmbed, which are two
generic mozila-based applications.

(but as I've said in my previous post, even skipstone weights more than
netscape 4 currently)

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]