[/me replies against my better judgement. oh well]

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> I believe that the way things are done in the kernel development have to
> change in many ways to make its maintainance more scalable and
> straightforward. There should be:

why should its maintanence be more scalable and straightforward?
scalability is a nice buzzword, but so is "quality", "cohesion",
"direction", which linus supplies in the current system.

> 1. CVS.

why? you haven't given *one* compelling argument why kernel hackers need
a cvs. as adi aptly put it, linus is a "cvs with taste". no source
control system will replace him.

> 2. Roadmaps for the next stable release - what goes in, what stays out,
> etc.

sometimes there is. it's posted on linux-kernel periodically by linus,
usually in a rather crude form. (bio in, kbuild not yet, etc).

> 3. A general, short, manifesto that explains what Linus thinks the kernel
> should have and what not. (I.e: should it have a sound subsystem? Should
> it have GGI? Should it have an in-kernel GUI?). Just kidding about the GUI
> part.

i think it's pretty obvious what should be in a unixish kernel and what
shouldn't be.

> 4. Maintainers of different subsystems who may delegate authority to other
> people.

we have that.

> 5. Making sure Linus need not be bothered with any little patch. Linus can
> read the CVS diffs if he'd like, but people can commit changes without
> asking him.

linus WANTS to be bothered with any little patch. it's a crucial part
of his quality control system.

> 6. Defining well-defined interfaces for the subsystems to interact with
> each other, and explaining what should or should not be done.

this is called a micro kernel, unlike linux, which is a monolithic
kernel.

> Did I miss anything? I believe what I proposed is better than the ways
> things are done now.

yes, you missed quite a lot.

for starters, explain why your system will be better than the system we
have now, which is not perfect, but works. i also get the feeling you
are not very familiar with the way linux kernel development is done,
except from second and third hand sources. may i suggest you take some
time to *learn how its done now*, before proposing a Grand Novel
Absolutely Better Way of Doing Things?

also, this subject has been hashed to death on lkml. maybe you should
read an archive or three?
--
mulix

http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~mulix/