----- Original Message -----
From: "Adi Stav" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 02:20:37PM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > BTW: there is a little "non-free" license issue with BitKeeper. From
what
> > I understand, the license of BitKeeper is basicaly a free license, but
> > requires that you preserve one feature: logging to a certain main
> > reposirtory.
<snip>
> > Anyway, kernel people use it, so people probably don't care.
>
> Linus doesn't care, but Linus never had any ideological or even
<snip>

> It bother /me/, though, especially as I can't see much commercial gain
> Larry Mcvoy can get by those restrictions.
<snip>

Of course he gets commercial gain - companies who want to use BitKeeper and
don't want the "open logging" feature (and show me one manager who want balk
at the very idea of data about his internal development efforts circulating
on the internet) will be required to buy a license. if BitKeeper was free as
in GPL, then said manager wouldn't be required to purchase a license, and
some (or most ? or all ?) will not.

Oded

--
No violence, gentelman -- no violence, I beg of you! Consider the furniture!
 -- Sherlock Holmes