> I am now thinking to develop a program that will offer a good
> alternative to
> these programs...
> But what will I get from it? The only reason for someone to
> develop such
> programs is to sale them...
> No small office will pay a programmer to write special
> programs for it's
> use...

but imagine what will happen if you write a good opensource program like
that. if it will be good and competitive, pretty soon you will have
customers wanting to install it.
you can charge them for it, you can charge them for documentation, for
installation and for support.
the fact that it will be open source won't mean it can't be big
business.